Panasonic Sd Plasma Th-42pa60a - Need An Advise

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are the panels made for $1499 ? Are they Chinese made ?

I also think the picture quality looks better on the one i have.

Panels are made in China but look pretty good...

You paid top dollar for the SD Pana now you want to pay top dollar for the 1080p Samsung - unless you got money to burn keep your Pana with it's extended warranty (why you purchased it!) and wait 12 months for the price to fall and for most displays to be 1080i and really grab a bargain.

My .02 cents anyway :blink:

I've been looking at the 42PA50A and have visited many stores (HN, JB, Retrovision, Myers), but they all seem to have prices ranging from $1700 to $2000 still. Has anyone managed to get under $1500 yet?

Went to JB HiFi Nunawading a few days ago, the quoted $1450 for 42PA60A.

The retailer, Clive Peters in Sydney advertised that model with a Digitec HD STB for $1579 about 3 weeks ago, I didn't need the STB as I aready had two!!!, They dropped another $100 off the price without the STB, ie. $1479 + $40 delivery.

JDH.

I've been looking at the 42PA50A and have visited many stores (HN, JB, Retrovision, Myers), but they all seem to have prices ranging from $1700 to $2000 still. Has anyone managed to get under $1500 yet?

does anyone know what input signals the s-video can display?

and does anyone know what happens if you transmit a 1080p signal into the 42PA60A?

S-Video can accept .... s video. See "connection types" sticky for info on different signal/connection types. The 42PA cannot accept 1080p signal. There wouldn't be any point anyway.

Philip

I haven't tried it but I thought the owners manual says something about accepting the 1080p signal but then down converting it to SD resolution. It would still be a benefit in it atleast accepting a 1080p signal as you wouldn't have to change the setting on the source device.

JDH.

S-Video can accept .... s video. See "connection types" sticky for info on different signal/connection types. The 42PA cannot accept 1080p signal. There wouldn't be any point anyway.

Philip

Philip

thanks for the S-Video pointer.

well you could easily argue what is the point of the 42PA accepting a 1125/60i signal or for that matter anything greater then 480p.

i don't care if the telly can't display the full 1080P signal. That wasn't why i purchased the set. I purchased it because of its reputation for being able to up & down scale video from various inputs.

Yet what what is really annoying me is the "1080p Digital Processing Chipset & remastering processor".

Its taken me a little while to realise that the set won't accept a 1080P signal despite having the equipment to process such a signal......and the inputs capable of handling the bandwidth (HDMI etc)

I know there are hardly any 1080P sets on the market but I find this really deceptive of Panasonic to say it set can accept a full-HD video signal and use the word 1080P in the same sentence.

Unfortunately I have only a verbal advice (several months old now), of when i asked the sales rep for clarification he said it would, but it would down convert the signal in order for it to be displayed.

Even the manual is rather coy about this. No mention of the 1080P in the documentation. No talk about the these mystical processors and chipset. So its good enough to advertise but obviously incorrect for a technical manual.

I was planning to plug a PS3 into the thing and i know for a fact that he ps3 won't output 1080P when the set says it can't handle it.

I'm off to call Panasonic to vent about this. Not happy Jan.

# 1080p Digital Processing Chip Set - This allows the SD Plasma to process full-HD video signals in their original condition before down conversion, allowing the reproduction of highly expressive images with exceptional detail.

# 1080p Digital Re-mastering Processor - This processor up-converts a variety of video signals, such as those from analogue broadcasts and DVD movies, to provide a level of image quality rarely seen in SD Plasma TVs.

Edited by chugs

well you could easily argue what is the point of the 42PA accepting a 1125/60i signal or for that matter anything greater then 480p.

i don't care if the telly can't display the full 1080P signal. That wasn't why i purchased the set.

But what is really annoying me is the "1080p Digital Processing Chipset & remastering processor".

Its taken me a little while to realise that the set won't accept a 1080P signal despite having the equipment to process such a signal......

I know there are hardly any 1080P sets on the market but I find this really really deceptive of Panasonic to say it

# 1080p Digital Processing Chip Set - This allows the SD Plasma to process full-HD video signals in their original condition before down conversion, allowing the reproduction of highly expressive images with exceptional detail.

# 1080p Digital Re-mastering Processor - This processor up-converts a variety of video signals, such as those from analogue broadcasts and DVD movies, to provide a level of image quality rarely seen in SD Plasma TVs.

I agree it is almost false advertising on Panasonic's part but it does say in the "spec" section it only accepts 1080i. I also agree with you that good processing is important even with the final product downscaled to 480p. Remember that is just resolutiuon, and colour graduation and contrast is almost more important. That is why the 42PA60a has been so successful as it gives an amazing picture for a SD panel.

Philip

Are there any SD sets that are capable of receiving a full-HD signal?

I was going to make a new thread but i don't have permission to do so (what the hell is that bout)...

By full HD do you mean 1080p?. There isn't much out there atm which outputs 1080p so there is no real need. HDDVD and BR both output 1080i so that is all you need especially for a SD Panel.

Philip

I was going to make a new thread but i don't have permission to do so (what the hell is that bout)...

To stop spammers

By full HD do you mean 1080p?. There isn't much out there atm which outputs 1080p so there is no real need. HDDVD and BR both output 1080i so that is all you need especially for a SD Panel.

Philip

To stop spammers

hehe I meant 1080p - (because calling anything less a full-HD signal is just plain wrong).

but yeah i was hoping to find a set that actually can receive a 1080P signal and, albeit down convert it to the max resolution the set can display.....as noted above I had though the Th-42PA60A could do this...........

I am in shock though, the latest gen panasonic (an $18k) HD set is also unable to receive a 1080p signal.

Sorry to jack the thread, but I cant create a new thread. What do you guys consider to be the BEST 42 inch SD plasma available at the moment? I was considering HD but I just cant justify the additional expense. Plus I watch a SD STB at the moment through a 59cm Phillips CRT and I've seen a Samsung SD plasma look pretty damn impressive with foxtel at a friend's place so I dont think I need HD anyway... Any guidance would be appreciated. Obviously price is a factor, but I will wait longer to buy one that is considered to be the best of the SD plasmas. Thanks!!

Sorry to jack the thread, but I cant create a new thread. What do you guys consider to be the BEST 42 inch SD plasma available at the moment? I was considering HD but I just cant justify the additional expense. Plus I watch a SD STB at the moment through a 59cm Phillips CRT and I've seen a Samsung SD plasma look pretty damn impressive with foxtel at a friend's place so I dont think I need HD anyway... Any guidance would be appreciated. Obviously price is a factor, but I will wait longer to buy one that is considered to be the best of the SD plasmas. Thanks!!

Your answer is in the title of this thread! :blink:

Philip

Concur. Price and performance both put this screen at/near the top.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Thanks guys, from my lurking in these forums I kinda thought this might be the best SD.... Looking at prices now though, I can get the 42PA60A for about $1500... and my local Good Guys has just put out a Feb catalogue with the 42PV60A for $1999 (less for cash)... Considering I am living in an apartment and sit about 2.5-3m from the screen, would u guys consider the 1024x768 res of the 42PV60A would warrant the $500 extra? (Keeping in mind I dont plan on upgrading any time in the next few years, but my current STB (which sucks for signal - Digicrystal) is a Std Def) Im willing to pay more if its worth it in the long run... Thanks!!

Edited by Travesso

Considering I am living in an apartment and sit about 2.5-3m from the screen, would u guys consider the 1024x768 res of the 42PV60A would warrant the $500 extra? (Keeping in mind I dont plan on upgrading any time in the next few years, but my current STB (which sucks for signal - Digicrystal) is a Std Def) Im willing to pay more if its worth it in the long run... Thanks!!

Yes, probaly will do better than $2k as well so the difference is likley to be less than $500, read through the Pana threads in HD section.

Just as a quick update, I've had my 60a up and running now for about 3months and to this day I SWEAR the PQ is getting better and better. Tweaked the color settings using Digital Video Essentials PAL edition then "stole" some settings from here for some minor adjustments. Everything that is supposed to look great does. Still very happy.

'Course I worked at a retail chain, got staff pricing and have lusted after Pana SD plasmas for 2 years now. So, I'm a LITTLE biased. LOL

Hello All,

As i am a newbie you must excuse me as this is my first post.

i have recently bought the pana TH-42PA60A and i cann foinf in the manual were you can see how many hours i have done. As i wnt to get a ISF calibration done once i reach the magical 100 hour mark.

Also thanks to all on this fantastic forum, have learnt alot and apprecitate every ones experiences and comments.

I could be wrong but I thought only Projectors logged the total usage so that you new how many hours the projector bulb had done for replacement etc.

JDH.

Hello All,

i have recently bought the pana TH-42PA60A and i cann foinf in the manual were you can see how many hours i have done. As i wnt to get a ISF calibration done once i reach the magical 100 hour mark.

Also thanks to all on this fantastic forum, have learnt alot and apprecitate every ones experiences and comments.

Hello All,

You have to go into the service menus. Hours is at end of service menu 2.

This is from memory if it doesn't work search the other panasonic threads I am fairly sure it is posted elsewhere.

goto channel 99

set bass to full, treble to 0

press index button on remote and -/v button on tv at roughly the same time.

make sure you are still on channel 99 when service menu 1 comes up or you wont be able to get to service menu 2.

scroll through the options in service menu1(pushing the blue button? on remote) till you get to the last option(have to work out which the last option is, it scrolls back to start after last option). When you have last option on the screen push the green? button to enter service menu2. Scroll (blue button)through till hours appears.

be careful not to change anything. to exit I turn the tv off, but I am sure there is a better way.

Andrew

Edited by browny89

You have to go into the service menus. Hours is at end of service menu 2.

This is from memory if it doesn't work search the other panasonic threads I am fairly sure it is posted elsewhere.

goto channel 99

set bass to full, treble to 0

press index button on remote and -/v button on tv at roughly the same time.

make sure you are still on channel 99 when service menu 1 comes up or you wont be able to get to service menu 2.

scroll through the options in service menu1(pushing the blue button? on remote) till you get to the last option(have to work out which the last option is, it scrolls back to start after last option). When you have last option on the screen push the green? button to enter service menu2. Scroll (blue button)through till hours appears.

be careful not to change anything. to exit I turn the tv off, but I am sure there is a better way.

Andrew

thanks browny89. i tried to find this info. in the other panasonic threads but with no luck.

hopefully someone else will remember the thread or confirm your above info. (not saying you are wrong).

maybe LED or MHORSMAN will reply as it seems they have done this before, help guys.....

thanks browny89. i tried to find this info. in the other panasonic threads but with no luck.

hopefully someone else will remember the thread or confirm your above info. (not saying you are wrong).

maybe LED or MHORSMAN will reply as it seems they have done this before, help guys.....

To check hours on the TH-42PA60A use the following process...

1. Set the Plasma to to analogue channel 99

2. Set Bass to max, Treble to min.

3. Hold down the 'Index' button on remote and press -/v on the Plasma then release all buttons.

4. You will now be in Service Menu 1.

5. Press Red button on remote to move to the end of Service Menu 1 (SD auto check)

6. Press the 'Hold' button on remote.

7. You will now be in Service Menu 2.

8. Press Red button on remote to move to the end of Service Menu 2.

9. Hours will appear.

10. Press N to exit the Service Menu.

Geez, mine is now up to 1434 hours... kids must have been racking up Foxtel time whilst I was at work :-)

Thanks guys, from my lurking in these forums I kinda thought this might be the best SD.... Looking at prices now though, I can get the 42PA60A for about $1500... and my local Good Guys has just put out a Feb catalogue with the 42PV60A for $1999 (less for cash)... Considering I am living in an apartment and sit about 2.5-3m from the screen, would u guys consider the 1024x768 res of the 42PV60A would warrant the $500 extra? (Keeping in mind I dont plan on upgrading any time in the next few years, but my current STB (which sucks for signal - Digicrystal) is a Std Def) Im willing to pay more if its worth it in the long run... Thanks!!

GG catalogue is advertising the 42PA60A at $1999 not the PV60A. I know because I asked them.