Panasonic Sd Plasma Th-42pa60a - Need An Advise

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PV60A

Thanks, today I went to Good Guys DFO in melbourne, the PV60A is on special price $1997 for two days only. asked what the best price was, the guy said "it is already the best price". I know some one bought it around $1850 in Havey Norman.

Thanks, today I went to Good Guys DFO in melbourne, the PV60A is on special price $1997 for two days only. asked what the best price was, the guy said "it is already the best price". I know some one bought it around $1850 in Havey Norman.

They must of been desperate to get the deal at Harvey's to do it at that price.

I asked for the best price and got 2000 also.

since there are a few fellow 42PA60A owners here....

is the component RGB component? I've got a scart to RGB component, then a RGB component cable (dick smith) and i've noticed the Y on the RGB scart box is RED whilst on the plasma its Green?

should this matter?

What are people's thoughts on Foxtel PQ on Pana SD plasma?

it looks good even via composite (although if you know how to hook up component please do and i'll tell you how it looks)

since there are a few fellow 42PA60A owners here....

is the component RGB component? I've got a scart to RGB component, then a RGB component cable (dick smith) and i've noticed the Y on the RGB scart box is RED whilst on the plasma its Green?

should this matter?

it looks good even via composite (although if you know how to hook up component please do and i'll tell you how it looks)

This was my understanding.

To change the cable from your Foxtel STB to your TV you need to...

1....go into the settings menu and alter the picture setting from PAL to Component{you must do this first}.

2....turn the power off.

3....replace your scart-composite cable with the scart-component cable.

4....turn on the power and it should work.

I've also heard that a scart-s-video cable might yield better results, even though it's a slightly lower spec than component.....anyway, if you do choose S-video, follow the same proceedure except that you'll need to change the picture setting to S-video.

This was my understanding.

To change the cable from your Foxtel STB to your TV you need to...

1....go into the settings menu and alter the picture setting from PAL to Component{you must do this first}.

2....turn the power off.

3....replace your scart-composite cable with the scart-component cable.

4....turn on the power and it should work.

I've also heard that a scart-s-video cable might yield better results, even though it's a slightly lower spec than component.....anyway, if you do choose S-video, follow the same proceedure except that you'll need to change the picture setting to S-video.

good call on the powercycle, i'll give that ago because i did notice that it didn't retain the setting after it was toggled to RGB.

though i'm still confused with the colours....

sadly though i can't do the s-video, probably the most annoying thing that it only comes with one s-video.

i've got three devices, PS2, PC, DVD that all use S-video and it means that apart from swaping one manually when need be (PS2 plugs into the Fox IQ box) that the only other solution is to purchase a $900 receiver (or just wait for a PS3 which will solve everything in one hit)

Edited by chugs

good call on the powercycle, i'll give that ago because i did notice that it didn't retain the setting after it was toggled to RGB.

though i'm still confused with the colours....

sadly though i can't do the s-video, probably the most annoying thing that it only comes with one s-video.

I think you also need to save any menu adjustments.....I'm pretty sure the save feature is the last menu item.

I could not be happier with the picture. I have Austar hooked up to my Rotel 1067 receiver via composite and FTA via component on my Strong 5006.

2 questions...

1...is a viewing distance of 2-2.5 meters ok?

2...can you plug Foxtel into the Plasma via S-video?

2 questions...

1...is a viewing distance of 2-2.5 meters ok?

2...can you plug Foxtel into the Plasma via S-video?

1. Yes, my viewing distance is 2.5 meters and it looks fine.

2. I have Austar which does have S-video option. I have mine conected to AV Receiver, so I don't see any real improvement in picture using S-video.

What are people's thoughts on Foxtel PQ on Pana SD plasma?

well after figuring out how to get the component to work I've got my Fox IQ box > component > Pana.

Well the PQ seems brighter, the definition slightly better.

I don't know why this is but i found the Fox>scart>composite>Pansonic still looked a very satisfactory good.

for the $50-60 odd i spent on the cables and scart box for fox (yes you can but the dedicated cable but later when i get rid of fox i want to be able to use the component cables for something else).

but anyway back to PQ, there seems to be less noise on the picture - i think the other good alternative is Fox>scart>svideo>pana - you'd get a result that is nearly as good for a fraction of the cost.

1. Yes, my viewing distance is 2.5 meters and it looks fine.

2. I have Austar which does have S-video option. I have mine conected to AV Receiver, so I don't see any real improvement in picture using S-video.

What about DVD's......I guess they get letter boxed, but it's not an excruitiating squeeze is it?

but anyway back to PQ, there seems to be less noise on the picture - i think the other good alternative is Fox>scart>svideo>pana - you'd get a result that is nearly as good for a fraction of the cost.

I've read around the joint that for other than 50in and above, S-video and Fox are a perfect match{on SD panels}.

I'm not sure what the hell C7 is on my Foxtel CRT, ie, I think it's less quality than 2, 9, 28{which should be proper SD}....but C7 on my PC's CRT via my HDTV card was awesome for PQ, other than to say that my PC CRT isn't as bright as my Foxtel CRT.

I'm glad you got it all working.

Bought one of these TH-42PA60A today from Domain Caringbah for $1500 (listed price) + $250 extended warranty. A salesman at Caringbah good Guys who always gives me top deals on all the stuff we buy there wouldn't go less than $1750. Cheap enough to use as a temporary TV until the bigger/better one I want comes down in price in the next 6 months.

My strategy also, buy a cheap 42in Panasonic SD plasma now for under $1500 to replace my old RPTV and upgrade to a true 50 to 55in 1080p Integrated HD plasma in about 18 to 24 months when their more mainstream and more true HD content is availble.

JDH.

Bought one of these TH-42PA60A today from Domain Caringbah for $1500 (listed price) + $250 extended warranty. A salesman at Caringbah good Guys who always gives me top deals on all the stuff we buy there wouldn't go less than $1750. Cheap enough to use as a temporary TV until the bigger/better one I want comes down in price in the next 6 months.

My strategy also, buy a cheap 42in Panasonic SD plasma now for under $1500 to replace my old RPTV and upgrade to a true 50 to 55in 1080p Integrated HD plasma in about 18 to 24 months when their more mainstream and more true HD content is availble.

JDH.

It's a good idea I'm hoping to do the same tomorrow at the Australia day sales - stores are wanting to offload now. The picture quality is still really good on SD (just bought one for my mum and she loves it). Just don't get sucked in by the salesman who tries to sell an upscaling DVD player and monster cable so "your DVD's will be in HD" (I guess some of them are even confused about SD and HD). I had to laugh - I guess mum would have been sucked in to that crap - glad I was there!

Im selling a Panasonic TH42PA20 SD 42inch model. With matching 3 tier stand. Panel is made in Japan. Warranty goes until 05/06/2009. Which if anything ever went wrong I would help out on the warranty side.

Only reason for selling is I want a 1080P Samsung LCD.

Selling the Pana for $1000. Would have to be local Brisbane pickup. Its in Prefect nick with no marks or dead pixels. I can supply photo's if anyones interested.

Here is a link at what the tv looks like. http://www.sell.com/22F5MJ

I dont have that stand I have the Panasonic stand that has 2 glass shelves.

I think the price is fair even with the current models. If you guys dont think its worth it let me know. Anything under $1000 I will keep it and my 12yr old son can have it in his room.

Yeh i dont think they would either. If they did then I would be happy to help out.

Starting to think its not worth selling. The picture quality is good enough for the time being. I have a 66cm Samsung LCD i play the xbox360 on.

Scary to think I paid $4505 + $795 for the warranty for it back 2.5 yrs ago.

Starting to think its not worth selling. The picture quality is good enough for the time being. I have a 66cm Samsung LCD i play the xbox360 on.

Scary to think I paid $4505 + $795 for the warranty for it back 2.5 yrs ago.

I agree, keep the set. No one would be interested considering the current SD model TH42PA60A is selling for $1,499 brand new.

Unfortunately the way technologies move so fast these days we've become a throw-away society.