Panasonic Sd Plasma Th-42pa60a - Need An Advise

I'm in the market to find a better deal for Panasonic SD Plasma TH-42PA60A.

Majority of the time I watch DVDs or free to air TV shows.

- First of all, is it worth to buy an LCD or a HD plasma by spending few hundred extra $$$

- I've just seen a display model of the TH-42PA60A plasma and liked the picture quality, is there anyone here with

some personal experience with this model? if so, what are your thoughts in terms of picture\colour quality and reliability?

- What is the best bargain price in Sydney at the moment as I want to buy it this week? also, is it worth to take an extended warranty (for around $500 additional)

- Can you plug-in your laptop to this unit with SD resolution?

Any help will be much appreciated

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Volunteer

- First of all, is it worth to buy an LCD or a HD plasma by spending few hundred extra $$$

- I've just seen a display model of the TH-42PA60A plasma and liked the picture quality, is there anyone here with

some personal experience with this model? if so, what are your thoughts in terms of picture\colour quality and reliability?

- What is the best bargain price in Sydney at the moment as I want to buy it this week? also, is it worth to take an extended warranty (for around $500 additional)

I have that model, I looked at both the SD and HD and from 2.5 - 3 m distance couldn't really see a difference. I also looked at LCD but didn't like the pq on them as much as the plasma. The colour/picture on the TH-42PA60A is really nice and clear with the colours looking very natural watching the AFL grand final on it was amazing.

I have only had mine for 8 weeks but have had no problems with it thus far.

I dont know what the best price for this would be in Sydney as I live in Melbourne but Dick Smith Powerhouse usually have good prices on Panasonic and is where I got mine from.

Definitely get the extended warranty as repairs to plasma panels are hideously expensive although try to wrangle a discount on the warranty, I got it for $300 instead of the normal $500.

You should be happy with this model though, I know I am.

I have that model, I looked at both the SD and HD and from 2.5 - 3 m distance couldn't really see a difference. I also looked at LCD but didn't like the pq on them as much as the plasma. The colour/picture on the TH-42PA60A is really nice and clear with the colours looking very natural watching the AFL grand final on it was amazing.

I dont know what the best price for this would be in Sydney as I live in Melbourne but Dick Smith Powerhouse usually have good prices on Panasonic and is where I got mine from.

Definitely get the extended warranty as repairs to plasma panels are hideously expensive although try to wrangle a discount on the warranty, I got it for $300 instead of the normal $500.

Thanks very much for your reply. May I knoe how much did you pay for yours? excluding $300 extended warranty? also, did you try to connect a pc\laptop to the TV?

I too have owned a PA60A for a couple of months. Ditto what Kazz says :blink: . VERY happy with PQ running a SD Wintal PVR thru AV1 Svideo, and DVD thru component. JB Hi Fi currently advertising for $1988-, (Sunny Coast QLD) so am sure you could do a little better than that (cash or card). I too opted for extended 5 yr warranty - simply for peace of mind. Am sure you wouldn't be disappointed with this model. Cheers. :D

• Volunteer
Thanks very much for your reply. May I knoe how much did you pay for yours? excluding $300 extended warranty? also, did you try to connect a pc\laptop to the TV?

I paid $2200 back in august but they have dropped a fair bit since then. Have not had time to connect the laptop yet (very busy time at work).

We paid $1999 at HN + $180 for an extra 4 years extended warranty (5 years total). We are very happy with the picture quality via Component utilising PerisanImortal's calibrated settings, especially on FTA and DVD.

BTW... The TH-42PA60A does not have a VGA input for PC connectivity

We paid $1999 at HN + $180 for an extra 4 years extended warranty (5 years total). We are very happy with the picture quality via Component utilising PerisanImortal's calibrated settings, especially on FTA and DVD.

BTW... The TH-42PA60A does not have a VGA input for PC connectivity

when did you buy yours? I just enquired yesterday and got following prises in Sydney

DickSmith $1749 + $500(for extedned warranty)

JB HIFI $1988 + $299

Harvey $1999 + $250

GoodGuys $1999 + $???

sorry for the dumb question but do you have to calibrate plasma TV? also if it doesn't have VGA input, can't you plug-in your laptop via any other means? may be another dumb question as I dunno much about plasmas\lcds

if it doesn't have VGA input, can't you plug-in your laptop via any other means? may be another dumb question as I dunno much about plasmas\lcds

Most laptops have an S-Video out, you should be able to hook it up with that.

Also HN $1986 + $149 for 4yrs extra warranty including a SD STB.

Edited by mick815

TVFAN123.

That is a good price from Dick Smith - what store was that?

DickSmith Powerhouse, Penrith

Most laptops have an S-Video out, you should be able to hook it up with that.

Also HN $1986 + $149 for 4yrs extra warranty including a SD STB.

which HN store? location please

TVFAN123.

That is a good price from Dick Smith - what store was that?

it's a good price (i.e. $1749) but if you add an extended warranty, it turns out to be the same price as what others are offering. Not sure why DSE charges that sort of money ($500) for an extended warranty, can't see anything *special* in their warranty but the sales guy was trying to convince me that not all retailers offers same level of service.. :blink: does anyone agree with this?

Hn Blacktown

ta. not sure if other HN store can match that price\deal.

when did you buy yours? I just enquired yesterday and got following prises in Sydney

DSE $1749 + $500(for extedned warranty)

JB HIFI $1988 + $299

Harvey $1999 + $250

GoodGuys $1999 + $???

sorry for the dumb question but do you have to calibrate plasma TV? also if it doesn't have VGA input, can't you plug-in your laptop via any other means? may be another dumb question as I dunno much about plasmas\lcds

ok, finally bouth TH-42PA60A today from JB for $1900 which includes 5 year extended warranty and delivery. getting it delivered on Tuesday. :blink:

Guest wassa001

Howdy I just purchased this model on Saturday for $1690 from Dick Smiths and also picked up a Yamaha RX V659 for 780 with the ipod pot

Guest wassa001
Which Dick Smith was this from?

Congrats, sounds like you got a good deal.

Dick Smiths at Moore park sup centre in Sydney for the Plasma and Harvey Norman city store for the Yamaha.

Just started to set everything up last night the only thing im not sure about is whether to run the picture from Foxtel digital through the Yamaha or not.

Cheers

Waz

Howdy I just purchased this model on Saturday for $1690 from Dick Smiths and also picked up a Yamaha RX V659 for 780 with the ipod pot

I tried, and tried and tried to get this price. Best i could get was $1882!

Thats a bargain! I wont pay $1882 if i knew somebody got it for $1690!

Any chance i could get a copy of the invoice, I'd really like to get this TV?

Edited by Belmont

Was there anything advertisment wise I could use to help me get this price at my local VIC Retravision store? They wont budge on the $1882

just saw it in the local free newspaper

Guest wassa001
Can anyone help me with a copy of an invoice or advertisment for the 42" @ $1690 or $1699

I think ive busted their balls as far I can and they wont move without the 'proof'

Howdy sorry havent had time to reply to your email if you have a fax number I can fax the Dick Smiths invoice to you tonight - just email me the fax number - I have no access to my "home" email at work.

Cheers

Waz