Sign in to follow this  
cttc

Foxtel Faq - Setup & Use (& Optus Digital)

Hi

1st time on this forum

I have just purchased a 56 "LG LDP Projection TV and currently have a Pace Microtechnology PLC Foxtel digital box model DC420NF.

Superb picture on free to air stations however when watching Foxtel the picture quality is garbage.

I purchased a scart to component adaptor and plugged in my monster component leads to the adaptor and ran the lead directly to the component In sockets on the back of the TV. The end result was a less than ordinary picture quality.

I suppose this question has been asked a thousand times but has anyone got any other ideas I could try to get a better result than I have now. Some will say just grin and bear and wait until Foxtel puts out a high definition digital Top box however until that happens I want to get the best possible picture quality available.

Appreciate any assistance and dont forget to include any changes I need to make to my Foxtel settings on the TV

thanks slugs

56 "LG LDP Projection TV

The end result was a less than ordinary picture quality.

I am assuming you have component set up correctly (see link in FAQ to instructions PDF). It should be sharper than a Foxtel composite signal and at least as good as S-Video.

You are probably talking about the effects of low bitrate/heavy compression Foxtel are using in order to fit all the channels on the satellite and cable space they are using, the bigger the display the more noticeable this is (especially in scenes with a lot of movement). It varies between channels, you should find Foxtel's Showtime channel of similar video quality to SD(standard definition) digital FTA(Free to Air). See ABC2 (lcn21) channel for a example of a lower bitrate digital FTA transmission.

I suggest you write a letter to Foxtel telling them what channels you find to be unacceptable. When they accept that a large number of their customers are now using 100+cm displays maybe they will increase the bitrate of the channels that most need it. It is totally in their hands as they can drop one or more of the +2 channels (or FBO) to provide the space.

You may be able to improve the display by adjusting settings of your TV (things realated to deinterlacing/line doubling/noise/scaling), the scaler is important to the end result so you may investigate a higher quality external scaler for some improvement but that can be very costly, see external scaler for Foxtel thread or do a search for "Foxtel scaler".

Foxtel have said they are going to introduce two or more HD channels by 2008 (requiring a STB upgrade (this will probably have its own internal upscaler for the SD channels but I doubt it will be a great one, your TV might do a better job with a HDMI connection)).

See this "Lousy Foxtel Picture Quality" thread for more http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=40628

hey, i tried to start a new topic but it wouldnt let me :(

i just got fox and IQ installed on weds and they set it all up for me even so i can record on me DVD recorder :D

but i have found 1 problem the video and audio arnt in sync!

they used scart>>AV for both TV and DVD recorder and AV>>AV for DVD to IQ

is there anywhere in the setting that i can sync it up? the TV is an old type and only has AV

any help would be great

cheers

JoNo

I have 3 iQ's which are modulated to 3 channels around the house. The modulator supports IR but changing channel on one changes all of them. Is there any work around like changing the freq each box/remote uses? Its very frustrating.

Cheers

tugman

but i have found 1 problem the video and audio arnt in sync!

Don't know why it would be out of sync when you watch it directly with a cable from the Foxtel TV scart, unless your TV has a setting.

Does it happen on all channels?

Which STB is it? ( http://www.foxtel.com.au/6226.htm )

Have you rebooting or switching off/on it? ( http://www.foxtel.com.au/6226.htm )

Give Foxtel a call.

I have 3 iQ's which are modulated to 3 channels around the house. The modulator supports IR but changing channel on one changes all of them. Is there any work around like changing the freq each box/remote uses? Its very frustrating.

I don't know any easy way, although the remote might have 4 modes (see below), I don't know how to tell the box to only respond to one of them.

If you want to do it all through the existing cables you could also use something like this http://www.tvlink.co.uk/spc4.htm (Super Plus Combiner). It seems recent versions of their Sky+ (which is like our iQ) remote can be programmed to give an individual mode (which I assume their device detects and sends to the correct box)(see http://www.skyeye.force9.co.uk/eye8hfaq.htm A3 which lists a method to change to one of four modes). People have used sky+ remotes, see http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=31867. So maybe with a spc4 and two(+ existing) or three Skyplus remotes (assuming your iQ remotes aren't as programmable) it will all work .

Three wireless IR remote senders/repeaters/transmitters & receivers is another way to do it as long as they have a unique id or changable frequency.

You could do other things that require cabling. Depends on how many rooms you want to output to and if its ok to be only be able to control one iQ from each location. What products are you currently using to send the remote codes back to the boxes?

Hi all...

This may have been covered, but I must admit to skim reading the thread (sorry!).

I've got a PACE 420 STB. Now my question relates to the SCART outputs. I'm happy that I can buy a SCART/Component (+audio) to the back of my TV and I select YUV from the "output" menu. BUT I want to go from SCART to S-VHS from the STB to my DVD/R. If I change the output to YUV does the VCR output stay as S-VHS or are both SCART sockets "linked"?

I'm currently using SCART/S-VHS converters and S-VHS/S-VHS leads to both TV and DVD/R. But I'm getting a new (glass) TV rack and I want to tidy the cables up a bit!

Cheers in advance.

If I change the output to YUV does the VCR output stay as S-VHS or are both SCART sockets "linked"?

Linked. Component out tv-scart won't allow S-Video out vcr-scart (only composite). An iQ has a separate S-Video socket so allows Component and S-Video at same time.

Linked. Component out tv-scart won't allow S-Video out vcr-scart (only composite). An iQ has a separate S-Video socket so allows Component and S-Video at same time.

Thanks for the reply. Yuck! Looks like I'll stick with the S-VHS thingos then! I'm not going down to composite, no way, ever!

But maybe a dedicated SCART/S-VHS lead rather than the adaptor eh?

Just wondering if anyone has noticed on their plasma that he Fox picture on 4:3 programs does not sit in the middle of the screen ie is offset to one side by about 2 cm?

I have IQ connected via component to TH42PX70a, FTA using 7000k and same set up is fine?

IQ set up is set for 16:9 TV, and 4:3 programss to be displayed as 14:9.

Appreciate your thoughts pls.

Al

I have just bought a new tv and since connecting it up to foxtel digital I have picture but no sound

set up is as follows

tv sharp aquos lcd

stb pace420

using scart to component lead from stb to tv (using tv/av scart)

i have changed output to YUV on stb

i was previously using same stb with crt tv (scart to composite) with no problems

any ideas guys ??

Cheers

any ideas guys ??

Where did you get the SCART to component lead from? There's some floating around which are wired incorrectly for Foxtel. They have the audio leads hooked up the audio in pins rather than the audio out pins (SCART is directional). Try a different brand SCART to component cable.

Cheers man, I have changed every conceivable setting and I was positive I was right to start with...

I have a Custom Khordz scart to component. But I have a cheap arse one at home floating around so I'll try that, and see if thats what the problem is.

Thank you!

I have just bought a new tv and since connecting it up to foxtel digital I have picture but no sound

set up is as follows

tv sharp aquos lcd

stb pace420

using scart to component lead from stb to tv (using tv/av scart)

i have changed output to YUV on stb

i was previously using same stb with crt tv (scart to composite) with no problems

any ideas guys ??

Cheers

what are you doing for audio cables

Tried a yellow composite cable (and changed the set up accordingly) and I still have the same problem, I am beginning to think it might be my IQ box.

Al

Where did you get the SCART to component lead from? There's some floating around which are wired incorrectly for Foxtel. They have the audio leads hooked up the audio in pins rather than the audio out pins (SCART is directional). Try a different brand SCART to component cable.