Sign in to follow this  
cttc

Foxtel Faq - Setup & Use (& Optus Digital)

Config A1r OR Config C1r from FAQ for your DVD recorder. If you are mainly going to be watching recordings and timshifted Foxtel via the DVD recorder then go for C1r. Then use Foxtel STB's remaining composite video output or the RF output for the VCR.

When you get the iQ you can still use the A1r Scart to Component cable for your TV and the Scart to VCR cable for your VCR but will need a S-Video to S-Video cable for connecting your recorder (for best results (A2r)).

EDIT: wait a sec if your LG doesn't have S-Video in then A1r.

So do I need another Scart cable other than the one that came with the Foxtel Installation?

Isn't it Scart -> Composite?

Thanks

So do I need another Scart cable other than the one that came with the Foxtel Installation?

Isn't it Scart -> Composite?

Yes Foxtel usually comes with Scart(tv) to Composite and Audio, (& if you have a recorder Scart(video) to VCR). So for best results you are going to at least need one Scart to whatever extra cable.

Another method you might consider if having your DVD recorder on all the time you watch Foxtel is ok, Foxtel Scart S-Video & Audio to your DVD Recorder input then your DVD Recoders Component output to TV Component input. ie the DVD Recorder does the conversion.

Yes Foxtel usually comes with Scart(tv) to Composite and Audio, (& if you have a recorder Scart(video) to VCR). So for best results you are going to at least need one Scart to whatever extra cable.

Another method you might consider if having your DVD recorder on all the time you watch Foxtel is ok, Foxtel Scart S-Video & Audio to your DVD Recorder input then your DVD Recoders Component output to TV Component input. ie the DVD Recorder does the conversion.

Does Foxtel Scart S-Video output exist on regular Foxtel or just I.Q?

If not, would the best setup for me be:

Foxtel Scart -> Component In (T.V)

Foxtel Scart -> Composite In (Video)

Composite Out (DVDR) -> Composite In (T.V)

and for I.Q (when we get it)

Foxtel Scart -> Component In (T.V)

Foxtel Scart -> Composite In (Video)

S-Video Out (DVDR) -> S-Video In (I.Q)

Cheers

Edited by beex

Does Foxtel Scart S-Video output exist on regular Foxtel or just I.Q?

Both regular (pace 420) and iQ (pace 460).

But the iQ also has a seperate standard S-Video output socket that can be used with recorder (still allowing Component output on the (tv)Scart).

Both regular (pace 420) and iQ (pace 460).

But the iQ also has a seperate standard S-Video output socket that can be used with recorder (still allowing Component output on the (tv)Scart).

cttc,

Ok, I'm nearly there, thanks heaps

I've got the Pioneer now and tomorrow I'll put it all together.

So it's :

Foxtel Scart (TV) S-Video & Audio to Pioneer DVDR S-Video Input

Foxtel Scart (Video) to SONY VCR Inputs

Pioneer DVDR Component Output to LG TV Component Input

So I need to buy a Scart to S-Video cable?

Am I close or no cigar ?? ;)

PS - My Foxtel Box is the DCN 1000

Edited by beex

You haven't said how many component inputs your TV has, so I assume 2 in some examples. I am assuming your TV doesn't have S-Video input.

Without an iQ (DVD recorder on to watch Foxtel (S-Video converted to Component), but you do record at S-Video quality):-

Foxtel (tv)Scart S-Video & Audio output ----> DVDR S-Video & Audio inputs (OR use Scart adapter then normal cables)

Foxtel Composite video(separate RCA socket) & Audio outputs(separate RCA sockets on DSN1000) ----> VCR Composite & Audio inputs (Not 100% sure the composite output on the DSN1000 (video)Scart works with S-Video setting so I have used the separates)

DVDR Component & Audio outputs ----> TV Component & Audio inputs

VCR Composite & Audio outputs ----> TV Composite & Audio inputs

OR (Watching Foxtel live can be Component & recorder doesn't have to be on, but recordings are Composite)

Foxtel (tv)Scart Component & Audio output ----> TV Component(1) & Audio inputs

Foxtel Composite video(separate RCA socket) & Audio(separate RCA sockets on DSN1000) outputs ----> DVDR Composite & Audio inputs

Foxtel (video)Scart Composite & Audio output ----> VCR Composite & Audio Inputs

DVDR Component & Audio outputs ----> TV Component(2) & Audio inputs

With an iQ (Watching Foxtel live can be Component & recorder doesn't have to be on, recordings are S-Video):-

Foxtel S-Video video(separate mini Din) & Audio(separate RCA sockets) outputs ----> DVDR S-Video & Audio inputs

Foxtel (video)Scart Composite & Audio output ----> VCR Composite & Audio inputs

Probably best to get a Scart to S-Video & Audio Adapter if you choose that option, normal S-Video(mini Din)<--->S-Video(mini Din) cable and 2RCA<->2RCA stereo audio cable. Then you can use most of them when you get an iQ.

You haven't said how many component inputs your TV has, so I assume 2 in some examples. I am assuming your TV doesn't have S-Video input.

Without an iQ (DVD recorder on to watch Foxtel (S-Video converted to Component), but you do record at S-Video quality):-

Foxtel (tv)Scart S-Video & Audio output ----> DVDR S-Video & Audio inputs (OR use Scart adapter then normal cables)

Foxtel Composite video(separate RCA socket) & Audio outputs(separate RCA sockets on DSN1000) ----> VCR Composite & Audio inputs (Not 100% sure the composite output on the DSN1000 (video)Scart works with S-Video setting so I have used the separates)

DVDR Component & Audio outputs ----> TV Component & Audio inputs

OR (Watching Foxtel live can be Component & recorder doesn't have to be on, but recordings are Composite)

Foxtel Composite video(separate RCA socket) & Audio(separate RCA sockets on DSN1000) outputs ----> DVDR Composite & Audio inputs

Foxtel (video)Scart Composite & Audio output ----> VCR Composite & Audio Inputs

With an iQ (Watching Foxtel live can be Component & recorder doesn't have to be on, recordings are S-Video):-

Foxtel S-Video video(separate mini Din) & Audio(separate RCA sockets) outputs ----> DVDR S-Video & Audio inputs

Foxtel (video)Scart Composite & Audio output ----> VCR Composite & Audio inputs

Probably best to get a Scart to S-Video & Audio Adapter if you choose that option, normal S-Video(mini Din)<--->S-Video(mini Din) cable and 2RCA<->2RCA stereo audio cable. Then you can use most of them when you get an iQ.

I only have 1 component connection and Composite In and Out on the TV and no S-Video.

Does this change things much?

Thanks for all this btw :blush:

I only have 1 component connection and Composite In and Out on the TV and no S-Video.

Does this change things much?

It can.

Doesn't change example 1.

With Example 2 & 3:-

You can drop the Foxtel Component connection to Composite (assuming you have more than have 1 composite input on your TV ).

OR You can drop the Foxtel component connection altogether and always watch through the DVDR.

OR You can probably get fancy using the Foxtel STB as a Component switchbox (to select between Foxtel or your DVDR) but it is complicated and I am done (see http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...mp;#entry796635).

OR you could buy a switchbox etc

It can.

Doesn't change example 1.

With Example 2 & 3:-

You can drop the Foxtel Component connection to Composite (assuming you have more than have 1 composite input on your TV ).

OR You can drop the Foxtel component connection altogether and always watch through the DVDR.

OR You can probably get fancy using the Foxtel STB as a Component switchbox (to select between Foxtel or your DVDR) but it is complicated and I am done (see http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...mp;#entry796635).

OR you could buy a switchbox etc

Hi cttc,

I've set it up as per Example 1 but haven't got the Scart to S-Video cable yet so for now I'm using the supplied Fox TV Scart Composite.

I'm using the Fox supplied Video Scart to VCR because I only have 1 composite input on the T.V.

Everything seems fine but when I turn off the VCR I also lose the Foxtel connection.

I know you have Fox and the VCR running through seperates but I don't think I can do that, can I?

Any ideas?

Cheers!

I've set it up as per Example 1 but haven't got the Scart to S-Video cable yet so for now I'm using the supplied Fox TV Scart Composite.

I'm using the Fox supplied Video Scart to VCR because I only have 1 composite input on the T.V.

Everything seems fine but when I turn off the VCR I also lose the Foxtel connection.

I know you have Fox and the VCR running through seperates but I don't think I can do that, can I?

When you get the second Scart cable only your DVDR would need to be on in example 1.

For now:-

You could run Foxtel Composite to DVDR instead of VCR (if you only have one cable).

You could run the VCR output to one of the DVDR inputs. Then run a video output direct from the Foxtel STB to your TV with the now free input. (DVDR would need to be on to view VCR)

You could use the VCR RF output to your TV instead, freeing up a composite input on your TV, you could use it for directly connecting from Foxtel STB.

When you get the second Scart cable only your DVDR would need to be on in example 1.

For now:-

You could run Foxtel Composite to DVDR instead of VCR (if you only have one cable).

You could run the VCR output to one of the DVDR inputs. Then run a video output direct from the Foxtel STB to your TV with the now free input. (DVDR would need to be on to view VCR)

You could use the VCR RF output to your TV instead, freeing up a composite input on your TV, you could use it for directly connecting from Foxtel STB.

Thanks cttc,

I'm still not completely clear though.

Is this correct:

I have

Foxtel Scart TV -> DVDR Composite Input (V + A L&R)

Foxtel Scart Video -> VCR Composite Inputs (V + A L&R) & Outputs (V + A L&R)

DVDR Component Output -> TV Component Input

DVDR Composite Output (V + A L&R) -> TV Composite Input (V + A L&R)

Sorry to go on and on, just wanna get it right

Thanks for all your help mate

Edited by beex

It your just using composite use the normal config:-

Foxtel Scart TV -> TV Composite Input (V + A L&R)

Foxtel Composite Output (V + A L&R)(separates) -> DVDR Composite Input (V + A L&R)

DVDR Component + A L&R Output -> TV Component + A L&R Input

That way you can view Foxtel with/without DVDR on (with composite input selected on TV), or with DVDR on (with component input selected on TV).

View VCR Through Foxtel (press Foxtel AV button)(with composite input selected on TV).

View DVDR with/without Foxtel or VCR on (with component input selected on TV).

It your just using composite use the normal config:-

Foxtel Composite Output (V + A L&R)(separates) -> DVDR Composite Input (V + A L&R)

That way you can view Foxtel with/without DVDR on (with composite input selected on TV), or with DVDR on (with component input selected on TV).

View VCR Through Foxtel (press Foxtel AV button)(with composite input selected on TV).

View DVDR with/without Foxtel or VCR on (with component input selected on TV).

cttc,

fantastic, that makes perfect sense, i will make those changes now (i am quite surprised at how good composite looks and records!)

can you also post what the setup will be when i get the fox scart to s-video and audio cable

and also the best config for IQ which I will be ordering real soon.

Thanks mate

Been through this thread and a few others. Little confused (well, a lot)

Trying to work out the best way to set up my new home theatre in a few weeks. Fairly humble system.

I have the Pace Foxtel unit, Yamaha 661 AVR, PX70A 50 inch plasma, Panansonic S53 DVD player (speakers are Accusound YH100/YH300).

No other devices planned except for maybe a VCR/DVD combined unit (still have some uncoverted home movies).

At the moment I will be just using HDMI (thanks Foxtail) from the S53 into the 661. HDMI from the 661 to the plasma and SVideo from the Yamaha to the plasma (just for the 661 OSD)

So, what is the best way to hook up the Foxtel ?

via the 661 or would it go direct to the plasma ?

Also, will the 661 remote control the plasma, the Pace unit and the DVD player ? Not sure hjow good the codes are for it ?

With iQ only one change if you want to record S-Video:-

Foxtel iQ S-Video Output (S-Video + A L&R)(separates) -> DVDR S-Video Input (S-Video + A L&R)

Without iQ if you want to record S-Video it gets a bit ugly with your lack of inputs on your TV (might not be worth it to you)(DVDR on to watch Foxtel)(there are other variations):-

Foxtel Scart Video S-Video Output (S-Video + A L&R) -> DVDR S-Video Input (S-Video + A L&R)

Foxtel Composite Output (V + A L&R)(separates) -> VCR Composite Inputs (V + A L&R)

VCR Composite Outputs (V + A L&R) -> TV Composite Input (V + A L&R) (or DVDR Composite Input (V + A L&R)) (or VCR RF -> TV RF)

EDITED to show RF option

With iQ only one change if you want to record S-Video:-

Foxtel iQ S-Video Output (S-Video + A L&R)(separates) -> DVDR S-Video Input (S-Video + A L&R)

Without iQ if you want to record S-Video it gets a bit ugly with your lack of inputs on your TV (might not be worth it to you)(DVDR has to be on to watch Foxtel/VCR)(could use VCR RF output to TV instead or do other variations):-

Foxtel Scart Video S-Video Output (S-Video + A L&R) -> DVDR S-Video Input (S-Video + A L&R)

Foxtel Composite Output (V + A L&R)(separates) -> VCR Composite Inputs (V + A L&R)

VCR Composite Outputs (V + A L&R) -> DVDR Composite Input (V + A L&R)

Great!

this bit in your reply (could use VCR RF output to TV instead)

where is that in the chain?

cheers

So, what is the best way to hook up the Foxtel ?

Component video from the Foxtel STB (tv)Scart.

Digital audio output (Optical from the 3.5mm socket on the standard pace 420)

via the 661 or would it go direct to the plasma ?

Either should work.

Also, will the 661 remote control the plasma, the Pace unit and the DVD player ? Not sure hjow good the codes are for it ?

Don't know.

hey guys i connected the scart to component cable today, yet i hardly even notice a difference.

50" full hd pana plasma + foxtel = STILL A PIECE OF ASS.

ps. is that notice i get "576i" or whatever it is the max quality? can i go higher?

-mark

Edited by mark_s

hey guys i connected the scart to component cable today, yet i hardly even notice a difference.

I assume you followed the setup instructions and have selected the component input on your TV. Should make it sharper, but the low bitrate channels are still low bitrate.

ps. is that notice i get "576i" or whatever it is the max quality?

That is it.

Hi,

Can I please ask for some assistance to confirm the setup of a new tv, foxtel, dvd and vcr combination I have. I've searched through the excellent collection of information and advice generously provided on this forum and put together what I think and hope is the best solution.

But can I please confirm this is the best solution and that I haven't overlooked anything?

My equipment is:

Foxtel STB

NEC-19SDEM3 SD LCD TV

Pioneer DVR-550HX-s

Mitsubishi M58 VCR

And the best setup I thought can be done:

1. Foxtel's (tv)Scart output >---(Scart to Component & Audio cable)---> TV's Component & Audio inputs

2. Foxtel's (video)Scart output <---(Scart to S-video and Audio cable)----> DVR-550HX-s S-video and Audio inputs

3. DVR-550HX-s HDMI output <---(HDMI cable)---> TV's HDMI input

4. M58 VCR audio and visual output (the best quality output) <---(audio and visual cable)---> DVR-550HX-s audio and visual input

Which I hope will allow me to:

Watch foxtel direct via Scart option on TV (the best audio visual option available for watching foxtel)

watch DVD direct via HDMI option on TV (the best audio visual option for watching DVDs)

record foxtel on DVD via S-video input on DVD (the best audio visual option for recording foxtel)

record VCR on DVD via audio visual input on DVD (the best audio visual option for recording VCR tapes onto DVD)

Many thanks for any information and advice, any suggestions much appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul

1. Foxtel's (tv)Scart output >---(Scart to Component & Audio cable)---> TV's Component & Audio inputs

2. Foxtel's (video)Scart output <---(Scart to S-video and Audio cable)----> DVR-550HX-s S-video and Audio inputs

Won't work. If you select Component output on the Foxtel STB it only comes out the tv Scart, and you will get Composite out the video scart.

It you record a lot or recording quality is important (DVDR on to watch Foxtel)(Display quality:Probably Very High)(Recording quality:Very High):-

1. Foxtel's (tv)Scart RGB output >---(Scart to Scart cable)---> DVR-550HX-s Scart RGB input

2. DVR-550HX-s HDMI output <---(HDMI cable)---> TV's HDMI input

3. M58 VCR audio and visual output (the best quality output) >---(audio and visual cable)---> DVR-550HX-s audio and visual input

Optional Extra(To watch Foxtel without DVDR on):- Foxtel's (video)Scart output >-(Scart to Composite and Audio cable)--> TV's Composite & Audio inputs

OR (Display quality:Very High)(Recording quality:Average )(DVDR doesn't need to be on to watch Foxtel)

2. Foxtel's (video)Scart output <---(Scart to Composite and Audio cable)----> DVR-550HX-s Composite and Audio inputs

4. M58 VCR audio and visual output (the best quality output) >---(audio and visual cable)---> DVR-550HX-s audio and visual input

OR (Display quality:High)(Recording quality:High)(DVDR doesn't need to be on to watch Foxtel)

1. Foxtel's (tv)Scart output >---(Scart to S-Video & Audio cable)---> TV's S-Video & Audio inputs

2. Foxtel's (video)Scart output >---(Scart to S-Video and Audio cable)----> DVR-550HX-s S-Video and Audio inputs

4. M58 VCR audio and visual output (the best quality output) >---(audio and visual cable)---> DVR-550HX-s audio and visual input

If you have an iQ there is better options (record S-Video while still outputing Component). I am assuming you have Pace 420/250 or UEC 1000.

Hi,

I apologise if this is repetitious but I want to get my set-up right.

Currently I have :

LG plasma tv with inbuilt digital tuner

Foxtel Digital STB (not IQ)

Pioneer DVD recorder

The set-up is :

Foxtel Box - scart out to composite (RWY) in on tv

- scart out split two ways - composite to INPUT 1 on dvd recorder

- composite to OUTPUT 1 on dvd recorder

DVD recorder - antenna in to antenna wall outlet

- antenna out to tv

I have now purchased a Pioneer DVR 550HXs to replace the older dvd recorder and a HDMI cable so I am wondering what is the optimum set-up now and whether or not I need any other cables.

I hope this is understandable and thankyou for your patience.

Mark

If you want video quality better than Composite then the three options I just gave are your main options (just ignore the VCR line). Some assume your TV has HDMI/Component/S-Video input also assuming you have Pace 420/250 or UEC 1000 Foxtel STB.

It you record a lot or recording quality is important (DVDR on to watch Foxtel)(Display quality:Probably Very High)(Recording quality:Very High):-

1. Foxtel's (tv)Scart RGB output >---(Scart to Scart cable)---> DVR-550HX-s Scart RGB input

2. DVR-550HX-s HDMI output <---(HDMI cable)---> TV's HDMI input

3. M58 VCR audio and visual output (the best quality output) >---(audio and visual cable)---> DVR-550HX-s audio and visual input

Optional Extra(To watch Foxtel without DVDR on):- Foxtel's (video)Scart output >-(Scart to Composite and Audio cable)--> TV's Composite & Audio inputs

Thanks for your help - I think I understand it now. One final clarification before I purchase any cables : For the above configuration for the optional extra would the following i) work and ii) be better

Foxtel's (video) Scart output >- (Scart to COMPONENT and audio cable)--TV's COMPONENT & audio inputs.

Also, are Selby's cables decent to purchase.

Thanks again for your patience.

Mark

Foxtel's (video) Scart output >- (Scart to COMPONENT and audio cable)--TV's COMPONENT & audio inputs.

Won't work. You only get Component/RGB from the tv scart.

Also, are Selby's cables decent to purchase.

Seem fine.