Sign in to follow this  
cttc

Foxtel Faq - Setup & Use (& Optus Digital)

I had a Foxtel IQ box installed on Monday and have found this thread to be of great help in understanding the gamut of PVRs, STBs, etc.

Many thanks to the contributors, particularly 'cttc' for the excellent oversight.

Les Harris

Vic

Need help RE: Foxtel installation.

Around 2000-2001, we had foxtel and moved to a new house right near Kincumber mountain..the foxtel guy said apparently we couldn't get reception because of where we now live.

Now back then Foxtel was analog, its now digital..

Foxtel is coming out on Saturday for install, what are my chances of it going ahead?

I have seen alot of other houses with interferance with mountains and trees so I don't understand, hopefully its different with digital.

Thankyou.

P.S. - I tried to start a new topic but it didn't let me.

PSI-11D, it's quite possible cable may be available in your area, which should give you everything that Satellite offers.

im on the central coast, nsw..i dont think cable is avaliable..so will there be problems if i can only get satelite?

im on the central coast, nsw..i dont think cable is avaliable..so will there be problems if i can only get satelite?

I can't see what sort of problems there would be being on a mountain, unless your specific location prevents clear line-of-sight to the Foxtel sat. See what the techie says - if it can't be installed I'm sure they won't charge you.

Im not worried about the charge - Its free anyway.

Im just hoping that its different this time around. Im actually below a mountain...but the thing is, Ive seen alot of other dishes pointing straight at trees, mountains etc and they have it hooked up..why did the tech not even bother to go on the roof to try?

Fingers crossed. :blink:

The angle of incidence of the beam from 156E (Optus C1) in your location is 50-51deg depending on your exact location, with an azimuth of around 9-10deg so if you lookup at an angle of 50deg in the northern sky can you see without obstuction, if so then all should be fine.

If you make a simple triangle with a piece of cardboard that has a base length of 100mm and a vertical length of 120mm (thus a hypotenuse of 156mm) then you will have a 50deg triangle. Hold this level, helps if you have a spirit level, and look up the hypotenuse, if you see clear sky roughly 9deg to the east of north (real north) then all should be ok.

Dont forget that KU band dishs are offset dishes, as such the LNB arm points some 20odd degrees below the angle of beam incidence.

Cyril

Hi - anyone able to help me out here?

I got foxtel installed last week. Looks like a UEC box (its got a sticker saying DN 1000 attached) so I presume its a UEC 1000? I'm connecting to a new Samsumg M81 LCD. Picture quality using the std Scart to Composite is pretty average so I bought a Scart to Component cable on the advice of the foxtel guy. Followed the instructions from foxtel to set up the component connection (changing the picture output from PAL to YUV) but the picture I get is shocking. I have reverted back to using my new cable as a composite output at this stage.

Any suggestions where I could be going wrong ?

Thanks to any good samaritans out there

Cheers

Z

Edited by zinc

Only thing I can suggest is to make sure you have the cable going from the TV scart and not the VCR scart.

Just reread your post. How can you revert to using your new cable (which presumably has 5 leads) as composite???

Things I would try:-

Make sure you select save settings after changing to YUV.

As Venus said make sure your using TV scart.

Make sure your plugging the component cables into correct sockets on TV.

Try the other component input on the TV.

Disconnect the composite cable (ie don't have both component and composite connected at same time).

Maybe even do a firmware update on the box.

Otherwise maybe you have dud cable or dud box.

Just reread your post. How can you revert to using your new cable (which presumably has 5 leads) as composite???

The Foxtel Scart to component cable has 6 (3 component 2 audio and 1 composite).

The Foxtel Scart to component cable has 6 (3 component 2 audio and 1 composite).

Thanks for that. I haven't seen the Foxtel-branded cable; only the typical 3 component plus R/L Audio.

So if I get Foxtel hooked up now and buy a DVD recorder later, how easy will it be for me to set it up to record? I'm great at using technology but crap at setting it up!! :blink:

Things I would try:-

Make sure you select save settings after changing to YUV.

As Venus said make sure your using TV scart.

Make sure your plugging the component cables into correct sockets on TV.

Try the other component input on the TV.

Disconnect the composite cable (ie don't have both component and composite connected at same time).

Maybe even do a firmware update on the box.

Otherwise maybe you have dud cable or dud box.

Thanks guys- tried it all again (except for the firmware update) but still no joy. Maybe a dud cable but the fact that I can get composite working through the cable suggests its prob ok, and yes - it has 6 RCA outputs.

Very frustrating - do you reckon fox would be of any help if I called them? I mean - how do i determine if the box is a dud?

Cheers

Thanks guys- tried it all again (except for the firmware update) but still no joy. Maybe a dud cable but the fact that I can get composite working through the cable suggests its prob ok, and yes - it has 6 RCA outputs.

Wouldn't read anything into composite working. I am still assuming it is Foxtel branded Component cable. Try the cable at a mates place or return it if you bought it from dse and get another one. Yes call Foxtel its their box and their branded cable!

So if I get Foxtel hooked up now and buy a DVD recorder later, how easy will it be for me to set it up to record? I'm great at using technology but crap at setting it up!! :blink:

Setting up composite recording of Foxtel with a VCR or DVD recorder is very simple, you get a Scart to VCR type cable, see "Cable - Scart to VCR " in cable section of this FAQ and you will find Foxtel's PDF page of instructions (where it says VCR just substitute DVD recorder). Nearly all DVD recorders have at least RCA sockets for composite input and output.

Foxtel will usually supply such a cable if you have a VCR/DVD recorder at the time of installation, so if you have one collecting dust get it out.