Sign in to follow this  
cttc

Foxtel Faq - Setup & Use (& Optus Digital)

Thanks!

Woops, yes. Going from non-IQ to IQ2.

I was looking at the IQ2 box on the Foxtel site. So that makes sense, wrong box.

It will be interesting to see how the installer runs the cable, sounds like a messy job to me...

Curious. I thought the installers would need to get into the ceiling to add a cable but it seems that have been able to go from the dish to the wall socket without going into the roof.

Does that cable go over the roof on the outside?

What am I doing wrong?

I have my STB (Pace) connected via a SCART to Component lead to my CBL/SAT input on my amp. The amp is connected to my HC5000 via HDMI.

I get images fine and audio is via optical. However, I can't get 16x9 display.

To get a picture at all, i have to have the STB set to YUV, but I understand it should be set to RGB.

I can scroll through all the video settings, but while I do I get a blank screen. I can only get a picture when YUV is selected.

I select 16x9, but its only displaying 4x3.

What am I doing wrong?

Can anybody help me sort this out please?

I have a projector that is switched via my amp ( see sig ) and I have no issues displaying 16x9 with my PS3, DVR, or STB.

I can not get 16x9 with Foxtel.

I have Foxtel in another room with another box and get 16x9 no issues.

For the life of me I cant work it out.

The Foxtel box is connected to my amp via component (I cant believe Foxtel dont offer HDMI out as yet)

Any ideas?

Going to a new rental.

Some rooms have normal t.v. ports, some have ports labelled Foxtel, and some have both.

We have never had Foxtel.

Can I plug a normal tv for FTA into the Foxtel port or do I need a special adapter.

Are there any pitfalls?

Going to a new rental.

Some rooms have normal t.v. ports, some have ports labelled Foxtel, and some have both.

We have never had Foxtel.

Can I plug a normal tv for FTA into the Foxtel port or do I need a special adapter.

Are there any pitfalls?

You wont recieve fta by connecting your tv to a foxtel port unless it is connected to the antenna which i doubt it is.Give it a try wont hurt anything.

Edited by wheelz

Give it a try wont hurt anything.

Hah,i wouldn't say that. there is a decent amount of electricity running through a foxtel cable connection (remember the spliters outside the house are power-pass). Enough to be amplified by a DVB-T STB and break it in some circumstances.

I've read this thread and I'm a little confused on how I should set things up.

I have a Pace 250 box on satellite that I want to connect to my TV using SCART out on the fox box >Component in on the TV, then in the fox box setup I change the picture format to be YUV. This bit I think is OK.

Then on the second SCART output from the fox box I was going to connect my PVR-HDD (Panasonic DMR XW 350) using SCART out on fox box > S-Video in PVR as thats the best input this PVR has. Is this possible, considering the fox box will be set to YUV output?

I havent bought the cables yet... so just wanted to check first. Any advice is appreciated!!

Then on the second SCART output from the fox box I was going to connect my PVR-HDD (Panasonic DMR XW 350) using SCART out on fox box > S-Video in PVR as thats the best input this PVR has. Is this possible, considering the fox box will be set to YUV output?

No, some extracts from the FAQ:-

Remember the only time you will get S-Video out the video-Scart is when you set the box to output S-Video from the tv-Scart, so you cannot have Component from the (tv)Scart and S-Video from the (video)Scart at the same time.

Component(scart(tv) socket) & Composite(scart(video) socket) YUV setting

OR RGB(scart(tv) socket) & Composite(scart(video) socket) RGB setting

OR S-Video(scart(tv) socket) & S-Video(scart(video) socket) S-Video setting

OR Composite(scart(tv) socket) & Composite(scart(video) socket) PAL setting

Friend of mine has just bought his first widescreen panel (16:9) and was asking me if Foxtel is transmitted in 16:9, 4:3 or 14:9?

He has the old Foxtel digital box - not IQ.

I read the following on the first page but it's clear enough for me to tell him whether they transmit in 16:9 or not.

I just bought a 16:9 (widescreen) TV what are the correct Foxtel STB(Set Top Box) aspect settings ?

Normally for a widescreen TV, have Foxtel STB Aspect ratio control=By STU (and TV Type=16:9), then select your personal preference for how 4:3 programs are displayed (pillar box or stretch or 14:9).

Only if using a fully wired Scart to Scart cable to connect your TV and your TV has an auto aspect mode would you normally consider picking Aspect ratio control=By TV.

Friend of mine has just bought his first widescreen panel (16:9) and was asking me if Foxtel is transmitted in 16:9, 4:3 or 14:9?

He has the old Foxtel digital box - not IQ.

I read the following on the first page but it's clear enough for me to tell him whether they transmit in 16:9 or not.

Hey d -long time since I've been on the board, you're as active and helpful as ever!

I'll stand corrected here, but I'm pretty sure it depends on the channel. The majority of channels are now broadcast in 16:9, and the remainder are 4:3 (comedy channel, until 1 April etc). There's a "WS" mark on each widescreen individual channel on the foxtel website to indicate those in 16:9.

You can ask the newer set top boxes to resize 4:3 to 14:9. Not sure if the older pace boxes will do this.

Ok, dilemma here!

I've got a Pioneer 507 (beautiful) tv but it has only 2 HDMI inputs.

Old config:

AV1: nothing

AV2: Foxtel iQ (component)

AV3: Pioneer DVR (HDMI1)

AV4: Beyonwiz (HMDI2)

AV5: Wii (component)

All were calibrated by Aaron from AVCAL.

This morning I've had an iQ2 installed. And I was already worried about stuffing up my calibration. So with iQ2, yes, another HDMI!

I watch mostly AVI's with the beyonwiz so who knows how accurate the colour encoding is. (But mostly it seems pretty good). Occasionally record the footy, 4corners, something I see on icetv, etc.

Rarely hire DVDs these days, but have been recording Channel7 news to watch when the kids go to bed. I couldn't spool this on the old iQ, but can now series link it on the iQ2! :huh: Good thing with the DVR was it replaced yesterdays copy each day. Otherwise it's mainly kids DVDs.

SO. DO I:

1. Keep the HDMI on the iQ2 and go component on

i) the DVR

ii) or keep the DVR HDMI and go component on the Beyonwiz?

2. Some other combination?

HELP!!! It's doing my head in. :mellow:

And no, buy a new tv is not an option (no new Pios) and a new baby due in August! :rolleyes:

i would change av2 and 3 around to fix your problem

Ok, dilemma here!

I've got a Pioneer 507 (beautiful) tv but it has only 2 HDMI inputs.

Old config:

AV1: nothing

AV2: Foxtel iQ (component)

AV3: Pioneer DVR (HDMI1)

AV4: Beyonwiz (HMDI2)

AV5: Wii (component)

All were calibrated by Aaron from AVCAL.

This morning I've had an iQ2 installed. And I was already worried about stuffing up my calibration. So with iQ2, yes, another HDMI!

I watch mostly AVI's with the beyonwiz so who knows how accurate the colour encoding is. (But mostly it seems pretty good). Occasionally record the footy, 4corners, something I see on icetv, etc.

Rarely hire DVDs these days, but have been recording Channel7 news to watch when the kids go to bed. I couldn't spool this on the old iQ, but can now series link it on the iQ2! :huh: Good thing with the DVR was it replaced yesterdays copy each day. Otherwise it's mainly kids DVDs.

SO. DO I:

1. Keep the HDMI on the iQ2 and go component on

i) the DVR

ii) or keep the DVR HDMI and go component on the Beyonwiz?

2. Some other combination?

HELP!!! It's doing my head in. :mellow:

And no, buy a new tv is not an option (no new Pios) and a new baby due in August! :rolleyes:

Hi Guys,

Just updated to IQ2. Previously had old Pace box that was split & boosted to 3 other rooms in the house via RF out. After reading forum discovered i needed to use a UHF modulator connected either via scart or yellow/red/white. This option works however the picure quality even though it is amplified is a lot worse than through original pace box.

The Modulator was a DSE. Apart from getting multi room via foxtel is there a difference in quality between modulators or do i live with what iv'e got ?

Cheers

Hi Guys,

Just updated to IQ2. Previously had old Pace box that was split & boosted to 3 other rooms in the house via RF out. After reading forum discovered i needed to use a UHF modulator connected either via scart or yellow/red/white. This option works however the picure quality even though it is amplified is a lot worse than through original pace box.

The Modulator was a DSE. Apart from getting multi room via foxtel is there a difference in quality between modulators or do i live with what iv'e got ?

Cheers

See my post in http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...t&p=1525479

Thanks Goondy,

As a fellow eels supporter , stick solid.

No prob. The Hills Home Hub works beautifully. The big advantage of the DSE models is that it's actually stereo; even though the DSE ones take the L & R sound inputs it seems they actually mix them into mono! Good luck.

Hopefully someone can help.

My Hitachi plasma has two HDMI inputs and two Component inputs.

I currently have Foxtel IQ2 and a Blu-ray player occupying the two HDMI inputs and a Topfield SD PVR in one of the Component inputs.

A Beyonwiz HD PVR is on it's way to me which I would like to connect via HDMI also.

As 3 into 2 will not go, should I be researching some sort of 2 in 1 out HDMI device or will the IQ2 be the same for HD channels if I get a component lead for it.

Or maybe I should use a component connection in any of the other devices?

The Hitachi does 720p and 1080i apparently.

I've heard that Component can display 720p, is that correct?

Any help would be appreciated, I checked a few pages back for an answer but couldn't see anything.

Many thanks