Sign in to follow this  
cttc

Foxtel Faq - Setup & Use (& Optus Digital)

I would like to use a Logitech Harmony Remote, my foxtel box is the bland Foxtel Digital one with just the lights on the front, will i be able to program the harmony remote to use it? We have like 8 remotes for all the boxes, the Harmony would be usefull!

I would like to use a Logitech Harmony Remote, my foxtel box is the bland Foxtel Digital one with just the lights on the front, will i be able to program the harmony remote to use it? We have like 8 remotes for all the boxes, the Harmony would be usefull!

Firstly identify your set top box. Look on back or underneath for the model or look at the the specification PDFs (which have pictures) in the FAQ. Sounds like you have the Pace 420 so check if it looks like the pictures in this (PDF).

Then it will depend on which model Harmony, the 520 and 880 are reported to work with the Pace 420. A message search for "Harmony Foxtel" will provide more first hand experiences.

I have connected my Pioneer dvdr hdd to foxtel (Pace 420) via the Video Recorder Scart and s video. I have connected my plasma screen via the TV Scart and s video. I get a good image when the dvdr is turned on, but I cannot get any sound or picture via the TV Scart when the dvdr is turned off. Hence I have to have the dvdr on all the time. I don't really want this situation and would prefer to be able to watch foxtel without having the recorder on all the time. Any ideas?

I have connected my Pioneer dvdr hdd to foxtel (Pace 420) via the Video Recorder Scart and s video. I have connected my plasma screen via the TV Scart and s video. I get a good image when the dvdr is turned on, but I cannot get any sound or picture via the TV Scart when the dvdr is turned off. Hence I have to have the dvdr on all the time. I don't really want this situation and would prefer to be able to watch foxtel without having the recorder on all the time. Any ideas?

Are you changing your plasma to the correct input (which will be different to the one your DVD recorder is connected to)? Presumably your Foxtel unit is set to s-video?

Foxtel is set to s video. Correct inputs have been selected. Even rang foxtel to be told that I could have one or the other. That is, s video to the tv or s video to the dvd but not both. Seems to go against any info I have at this stage. I thought from reading the forums, the above pinned post and the Pace 420 guide, that it was possible to simultaeously output s video from both as opposed to rgb to tv and composite to dvd etc. I am a little confused. I was not happy with the quality of composite to the dvd. Any further suggestions?

Foxtel is set to s video. Correct inputs have been selected. Even rang foxtel to be told that I could have one or the other. That is, s video to the tv or s video to the dvd but not both. Seems to go against any info I have at this stage. I thought from reading the forums, the above pinned post and the Pace 420 guide, that it was possible to simultaeously output s video from both as opposed to rgb to tv and composite to dvd etc. I am a little confused. I was not happy with the quality of composite to the dvd. Any further suggestions?

What sort of cable are you using between the Foxtel box and the TV? It could be that your cable is for the wrong direction as SCART is directional. You should have a SCART to SVideo & audio cable, if it's the other way (SVideo + audio to SCART) it won't work.

So when your recorder is on everything works perfectly (S-Video on TV, recording S-Video on DVDR) ?

These are both the exactly the same Scart to S-Video cables? What model/brand?

If you unplug the Foxtel Recorder scart, your TV gets S-Video Foxtel fine ?

If you unplug the S-Video/Audio ends from DVDR (leaving scart plugged in), your TV gets S-Video Foxtel fine ?

Try using the video recorder scart going to TV and tv scart going to DVDR.

Don't see how turning off your recorder would change the output of the Foxtel TV scart, unless it was somehow turning on loop through of Video scart input (some weird cable).

Tv Scart to s-video+audio Neotech cable. Recorder Scart to dvd hdd is Scart adapter + s-video +audio lead with correct direction set. (ie no problems recording) Output from dvd is via component cable to tv for dvd playing etc. The picture that I get is clearly via the dvd recorder and not directly through the tv scart since I turn off the dvd then there is nothing! I have also tried composite output from the dvd in addition to the component out and get two channels of output video and sound when the dvd is on, but still no picture or sound when dvd is off. I'll have to think of another connection setup.

Sounds like your not selecting the S-Video input on your TV that is coming from the Foxtel scart. I would disconnect everything except S-Video to TV direct from Foxtel, then when you get Foxtel on your TV start connecting the dvdr. That would avoid any confusion and make sure your cable is working.

Tv Scart to s-video+audio Neotech cable. Recorder Scart to dvd hdd is Scart adapter + s-video +audio lead with correct direction set. (ie no problems recording) Output from dvd is via component cable to tv for dvd playing etc. The picture that I get is clearly via the dvd recorder and not directly through the tv scart since I turn off the dvd then there is nothing! I have also tried composite output from the dvd in addition to the component out and get two channels of output video and sound when the dvd is on, but still no picture or sound when dvd is off. I'll have to think of another connection setup.

Try swapping the adaptor and cable around and see what happens. At least you can then rule that out as your problem.

Well im gettin foxtel installed in my room on wednesday and i want it hooked up to me dvdr (Panasonic EH55) should i see if the foxtel techi can do it or should i just let him install it however he is gonna do it then i do it later?

Do i need to buy the SCART cables or will the techi have it on them?

Well im gettin foxtel installed in my room on wednesday and i want it hooked up to me dvdr (Panasonic EH55) should i see if the foxtel techi can do it or should i just let him install it however he is gonna do it then i do it later?

It varies, usually if you have a recorder they connect it up using a Scart to 6 RCA's (composite & audio in and out). Just ask for what you want (scart to scart for recorder probably) and you might be lucky.

Well because my room is upstairs and there is a pergola outside my window the foxtel techi reakons he cant install it, that its a too man job. I dont understand why he needs it from the outside, there is access to the roof upstairs from inside the house and he still says it cant be done.

I called foxtel and complained and now a supervisor is gonna call us tomorrow and set a date for them to come and do a site servey. Its bull, the samething happened when we got it installed downstairs. The other techi came out and was like it can be done.

Bah so it will be a while yet before i have foxtel now in my room!

Hello.

I have recently upgraded to Foxtel IQ and was wondering if anybody here could let me know if purchasing the scart to component cable available from Dick Smith (CA0400) would improve my picture quality.

I have a Samsung 29"/68cm 50Hz CRT flat screen TV with a 4:3 ratio (CS29K10) which has the option of Y/Pb/Pr Picture Improvement and also Digital Noise Reduction but is not 1080i HD Ready.

Thanks for any help!

Valleyboy.

Can you buy Scart to Scart, because when the foxtel guy installed foxtel he has used scart to compastie cable (the yellow, white and red).

Looking on foxtel site there is no scart to scart.

Also i just bought a new samsung LCD TV, and bought the $200 component cables, now is there any need for them, like does it use them because its going from the recorder to the TV. Or does the signal get read from foxtel and componet is useless when watching foxtel?

The way my setup is at the moment is like this:

Foxtel Recorder scart -> DVD via (Scart to compasite cable)

DVD -> TV via (Component cable)

Does this sound right? Any use of the component cable for foxtel viewing?

Thanks

Can you buy Scart to Scart, because when the foxtel guy installed foxtel he has used scart to compastie cable (the yellow, white and red).

Looking on foxtel site there is no scart to scart.

Yes. Just no Foxtel branded cables. See the Cables section of this FAQ. Using scart to scart might be of no benefit if your going to record composite from the scart anyway.

Also i just bought a new samsung LCD TV, and bought the $200 component cables, now is there any need for them, like does it use them because its going from the recorder to the TV. Or does the signal get read from foxtel and componet is useless when watching foxtel?

The way my setup is at the moment is like this:

Foxtel Recorder scart -> DVD via (Scart to compasite cable)

DVD -> TV via (Component cable)

Does this sound right? Any use of the component cable for foxtel viewing?

You are getting composite converted to component when viewing Foxtel via DVD recorder, so it is going to be no better than composite (ie no quality benefit). For viewing DVD's your component cables will give you component quality (although no need to spend $200 on them(assuming not very long)).

What most people do is scart to component cable from the Foxtel tv scart for watching Foxtel. (And record composite from Foxtel recorder scart (using scart to scart(composite) OR scart to rca's(composite))).

See the FAQ for more configurations for your DVD recorder (just keep searching for EH55 or whatever model). The recording quality and (tv)display quality vary, you can pick the one best for your viewing habits.