Sign in to follow this  
cttc

Foxtel Faq - Setup & Use (& Optus Digital)

I have Foxtel Digital and a Bravia X series.

I have been playing around with the picture setting and I can't seem to get it right.

In the Foxtel STB Setup/Picture settings Menu set TV Type to 16:9 (Widescreen).

In your TV's menu set your display to 16:9 (Widescreen).

Some Foxtel programs are 4:3 so there is also a Foxtel menu setting for what the Foxtel STB is to do with 4:3 programs (Put black bars, 14:9 or stretch).

See your Foxtel STB manual (PDF) for more details.

There are so many combinations and this will probably be a work in progress but:-

Foxtel (TV)scart S-Video & Analog Audio -> TV

Foxtel (VCR/Video)scart S-Video & Analog Audio -> DVDRecorder

PS3 HDMI -> TV

Wii Component -> TV

DVDRecorder HDMI -> TV

TV Optical Audio -> AVReceiver

PS3 Optical Audio -> AVReceiver

DVDRecorders Coaxial Audio -> AVReceiver

Wii Analogue Audio -> AVReceiver

Optional TV Analogue Audio output ->AVReceiver

Optional Foxtel Analogue Audio output ->AVReceiver

Antenna (RF cable)->DVDRecorder->TV

You could instead record Foxtel using Composite and use Foxtel Component output.

I ran out of inputs on the AVReceiver for Foxtel's digital audio output.

I didn't try to use the AVReceiver for switching of video (as it doesn't have HDMI inputs/outputs).

I didn't make assumptions about the TV's ability to pass through Digital or Analog Audio.

Thanks heaps for your suggestions.

A gentleman at HN indicated i buy a FOXTEL SCART to Component. Would this be appropriate?

Just asking the quest, any help would be received gratefully.

Thanks again cttc

A gentleman at HN indicated i buy a FOXTEL SCART to Component. Would this be appropriate?

Yes it is a valid choice, as I said you can either go Scart to TV S-Video & Audio and Scart to Recorder S-Video & Audio

OR Scart to TV Component & Audio and Scart to Recorder Composite & Audio.

(You can't get Component and S-Video at same time from the standard STB(420), you can with an iQ)

People decide based on how important recording quality is to them.

Hi,

We're thinking of getting Foxtel sometime.

I got some questions about Multiroom ( 2 IQ boxes )

This might sound very stupid but can can Foxtel iq have "my sport" package on 1 box and other foxtel box have "get started" package channels

My dad mainly wants his for Sport and My mum and I don't :lol:

Yes it is a valid choice, as I said you can either go Scart to TV S-Video & Audio and Scart to Recorder S-Video & Audio

OR Scart to TV Component & Audio and Scart to Recorder Composite & Audio.

(You can't get Component and S-Video at same time from the standard STB(420), you can with an iQ)

People decide based on how important recording quality is to them.

Thanks cttc.

Please see the connection configuration below, which i found in this topic. I noticed that my recorder has an RGB SCART input. Even though i need to have the recorder on at the same time, would this improve my recoring quality while maintaning my PQ aswell.

"Config B1r - Foxtel to RGB converted to ? on TV. Foxtel to RGB on Recorder. Potential Foxtel display quality: Average to Very High, Record Quality: Very High

Requirements: Recorder with RGB input (normally a Scart), TV with a matching input to Recorder's (HDMI or Component or RGB) output

1. Foxtel's (tv)Scart output >---(Scart to Scart cable)---> Recorder's Scart input

2. Recorder's HDMI or Component or RGB & Audio outputs >---(HDMI or Component or RGB & Audio cable)---> TV's HDMI or Component or RGB & Audio inputs"

My recorder will had a HDMI output to TV's input so this means i potentially have High viewing PQ and high Recording PQ.

Am i correct in my assumptions.

I noticed that my recorder has an RGB SCART input. Even though i need to have the recorder on at the same time, would this improve my recoring quality while maintaning my PQ aswell.

I don't have access to a manual and it isn't listed on specs I have seen. But if it does accept Scart RGB (input) then yes another valid option that should be better than the others quality wise.

PS Some Australian Panasonic DVD recorders were incorrectly listed as having RGB scart input (some old models and the european models actually can do it though). As long as it is in the manual that came with it you should be ok.

Possibly a stupid question but having just received the 2 week access to Showtime I see some movies light up as Dolby Digital - what format is the sound for all the other stations?

Also, what video resolution does Foxtel output via component - my Plasma is saying 768 x 288?

Cheers

Martin

No doubt already asked & answered but I'm just double checking...............

I am looking at connecting a Foxtel Pace 420 STB to a Panasonic DMR-EX77 DVD-R for recording.

From what I have read, and going by recording configuration C1rS1 in the 1st post, I intend to purchase a SCART to S-Video cable to run from the TV SCART output on the Foxtel Box to the TV, and a SCART to SCART cable to run from the Video SCART output on the Foxtel Box to the DVD-R.

Am I correct?

Are the cables from Jaycar Electronics OK for this?

Yes that is a valid config and Jaycar cables are fine. You could go Component to TV and Composite to Recorder of course.

Personally, i think the s-video to tv and to recorder option is the best compromise.

I have tried component and s-video to the tv and i don't see that much of a difference, i have a 32"LCD. This might be different on a larger screen size of course. I find that as i record a lot, being able to watch recorded and live to air Foxtel at the same PQ is great.

The whole Foxtel PQ issue seems to be more to do with the signal that Foxtel transmits rather than the connection type from the STB to the TV.

Edited by ja5on

Yes that is a valid config and Jaycar cables are fine. You could go Component to TV and Composite to Recorder of course.

To cttc & ja5on, thanks for the replies.

Think I'll stick with the middle ground connection as I tend to watch/record 50/50.

Cheers.

This might sounds stupid, oh well :)

1. Can country people get "digital" Foxtel where they live?

2. Or is it like the free HD/digital channels? where people have problems getting them?

I hope I made sense.

Foxtel is not available in most country areas as Austar have rights for those areas. But where Foxtel is allowed to have customers it is a satellite service (anywhere outside cabled areas) and so country people don't have same problems that Digital Free To Air TV has.

Hi,

Here's what I'd like to do, any hints gratefully received (apologies for newbieness)

At the moment we have Foxtel, an LG TV, LG DVD and Sony VCR.

I like the idea of Foxtel I.Q for recording but would also like to permanently archive/make copies for friends (from Foxtel, Digital Camera, etc).

As far as I can work out I could go with Foxtel IQ and also grab a DVDR or maybe go with a

Sony RDRHX750 which appears to do both??

Should I get I.Q and just a cheaper DVDR with no HDD or the Sony RDRHX750 ?

Or am I rambling up the wrong tree?

Cheers