Sign in to follow this  
cttc

Foxtel Faq - Setup & Use (& Optus Digital)

Since I can't edit my other post, an update

We're getting our foxtel next week, I didn't hear from a foxtel online helper so I went to the store instead :)

Thanks for all the info...but I am still at a loss for the following:

I have Foxtel digital ( Pace460 ) via satellite.

I also have free-to-air via optus CI satellite.

Dual LNB - two RG6 cables.

I want to use the foxtel remote to switch between the two boxes using the AV button.

I have a modern TV with component in's and 2x standard RCA AV ins with 1 x RCA AV out.

There is TWO LNB inputs on the back of the Foxtel box, and ONE LNB input on the back of the Free-to-air box.

I have a "VCR scart" for the foxtel box with 3xRCA outs and 3xRCA ins.

Both boxes are setup correctly ie: universal LNB's 10.700. ( in fact the only problem is trying to use the one remote control via the foxtel AV button).

My understanding is the scart runs out of foxtel box to RCA AV in's on tv, and the other 3 RCA AV are out from the free-to-air box.

Where should the RG6 inputs go??

Can someone assist.

Thanks in advance.

I want to use the foxtel remote to switch between the two boxes using the AV button.

I have a modern TV with component in's and 2x standard RCA AV ins with 1 x RCA AV out.

There is TWO LNB inputs on the back of the Foxtel box, and ONE LNB input on the back of the Free-to-air box.

Both boxes are setup correctly ie: universal LNB's 10.700. ( in fact the only problem is trying to use the one remote control via the foxtel AV button).

My understanding is the scart runs out of foxtel box to RCA AV in's on tv, and the other 3 RCA AV are out from the free-to-air box.

Can someone assist.

Thanks in advance.

I can't help you much, but we have 3 cords for the foxtel and free-to-air via optus CI satellite to the wall, our foxtel guy did ours for us but I have no idea how to do our VCR and dvd player connection lol we also have a modern TV too

Maybe you should ring Foxtel and ask them about it

I'm sorry I can't help you

eta: we use the AV tv remote to switch btw foxtel and fta channels, we also have 2 sat dishes for both

Edited by aussiefan

Can someone assist.

Thanks in advance.

I'll have a go as I reakon what your trying to do will work.

1. you need to connect the 2 x RG6 cables from the dish to a multiswitch with at least 4 outputs, the muliswitch can sit in the lougeroom to make it easy.

2. connect the 2 x IQ inputs and 1 x fta decoder input to the mulitswitch outputs, this means that you are using 3 of the multiswitch outputs, technically speaking the unused port should be terminated ( 75 ohm terminator ).

3. connect your IQ direct to your tv using the tv scart output, you should be using a scart to 3 rca cable to do this.

4. connect you scart to 6 rca cable to the vcr scart socket on the IQ, connect the 3 x rca INPUTS to your av outputs of your fta decoder, leave the other 3 rca plugs ( should be labelled outputs ) hanging.

5. use the foxtel/av button on the foxtel remote to toggle between the 2.

This is really no different to looping a DVD player through your foxtel

Hello,

Any suggestions much appreciated in how I can resolve my connectivity problem. I just purchased a Pioneer HDD/DVD recorder and trying to get it to work in conjunction with my Foxtel Iq unit and Samsung plasma tv. At the moment, I have connected the components as follows:

- Foxtel's IQ (tv scart) output to TV using Scart to Component cable

- Foxtel's IQ (VCR scart) output to Pioneer Recorder using Scart to Scart cable

- Pioneer recorder HDMI out to TV's HDMI in using HDMI cable

To test the recording function, a Foxtel program is displayed on my TV and I pressed the record button on the Pioneer recorder to record the program. When I then try to view the program from the recorder, all that is displayed are statics with 2 thick black lines across the screen.I could view any Foxtel programs and play any DVDs without any problems. Only the recording to the HDD/DVD recorder is problematic.

Thanks in advance!

- Foxtel's IQ (tv scart) output to TV using Scart to Component cable

- Foxtel's IQ (VCR scart) output to Pioneer Recorder using Scart to Scart cable

- Pioneer recorder HDMI out to TV's HDMI in using HDMI cable

To test the recording function, a Foxtel program is displayed on my TV and I pressed the record button on the Pioneer recorder to record the program. When I then try to view the program from the recorder, all that is displayed are statics with 2 thick black lines across the screen.I could view any Foxtel programs and play any DVDs without any problems. Only the recording to the HDD/DVD recorder is problematic.

You don't say which model Pioneer but it is probably one of these:-

1. Make sure you have the scart to scart plugged into the scart input on the DVD Recorder (normally labeled AV2 or Line in 1 or Input 1).

2. Make sure you have checked that the DVD Recorders input setting (in Menus) for this input scart is set to Video (and not S-Video or RGB).

3. Before recording Press the Input select button on your DVD Recorders remote until you see AV2 OR LineIn 1 OR Input 1.

Note: You can get better video recording quality with an iQ by using the separate S-Video output (instead of the VCR scart), using a S-Video to S-Video cable.

You don't say which model Pioneer but it is probably one of these:-

1. Make sure you have the scart to scart plugged into the scart input on the DVD Recorder (normally labeled AV2 or Line in 1 or Input 1).

2. Make sure you have checked that the DVD Recorders input setting (in Menus) for this input scart is set to Video (and not S-Video or RGB).

3. Before recording Press the Input select button on your DVD Recorders remote until you see AV2 OR LineIn 1 OR Input 1.

Note: You can get better video recording quality with an iQ by using the separate S-Video output (instead of the VCR scart), using a S-Video to S-Video cable.

Thanks for your response! You are right in terms of (2) and (3) above - the input setting was set to S-Video and also Input select button was not set to AV2! It is working now.

Thank you also to your suggestion in using the S-Video to S-video cables. Stupid question, but what cable to do I need for the audio from the Foxtel unit to the recorder? Also, will the recording quality be noticeably better? If so, I may return the Scart to Scart cable I bought.

Thank you also to your suggestion in using the S-Video to S-video cables. Stupid question, but what cable to do I need for the audio from the Foxtel unit to the recorder? Also, will the recording quality be noticeably better? If so, I may return the Scart to Scart cable I bought.

See the cable section in the FAQ (first message of this thread). Not many S-Video cables also have bundled audio so you will probably need a Stereo audio cable (2 RCA plugs to 2 RCA plugs) (You could use the audio from the vcr scart if you have a Scart to Something + Audio (RCA's) cable lying around somewhere). I would say noticeably better but depends how fussy you are I suppose. I would pick this option (of course setting your DVD recorder to the correct S-Video input with this option).

Just to complicate things there might be a third option to consider (since you have a scart to scart cable) if your recorder accepts scart RGB input (may require you having the DVD recorder on to watch Foxtel at best quality), see the Config B1r/B1rS1 in this FAQ. (of course you must set iQ to RGB output and your DVD recorder to RGB input with this option)

See the cable section in the FAQ (first message of this thread). Not many S-Video cables also have bundled audio so you will probably need a Stereo audio cable (2 RCA plugs to 2 RCA plugs) (You could use the audio from the vcr scart if you have a Scart to Something + Audio (RCA's) cable lying around somewhere). I would say noticeably better but depends how fussy you are I suppose. I would pick this option (of course setting your DVD recorder to the correct S-Video input with this option).

Just to complicate things there might be a third option to consider (since you have a scart to scart cable) if your recorder accepts scart RGB input (may require you having the DVD recorder on to watch Foxtel at best quality), see the Config B1r/B1rS1 in this FAQ. (of course you must set iQ to RGB output and your DVD recorder to RGB input with this option)

Thank you again for your reply. Since I already have the necessary cables, I may try out the Config B1r/B1rS1 option above. I have a Pioneer DVR-LX60D Recorder and the AV2 input accepts RGB. To confirm, once I have connected it as described, all I need to change for the Foxtel IQ setting is 'YUV' to 'RGB' and for the recorder from Video to RGB?

Would I be correct in assuming that with the B1r/B1rS1 configuration, the picture display directly from Foxtel would 'sub-standard' since Scart to composite cables are used (as per the 3rd step) to connect the Foxtel to the TV? That is of course, if I don't perform the 3rd step and leave the Recorder on for viewing purposes.

Cheers.

Edited by majella

i'm pretty new to all this stuff, so please help.

Just got a new Pioneer 60" with everything hooked up through the Yamaha 3800.

Foxtel as we all know is pretty ****.

I curently have the IQ connected with scart yellow/white/red? - but should change this to blue/yellow/green? to get a bit better quality?

Do I also need to connect optical as well for the sound??

Thanks,

Steve.

I may try out the Config B1r/B1rS1 option above. I have a Pioneer DVR-LX60D Recorder and the AV2 input accepts RGB. To confirm, once I have connected it as described, all I need to change for the Foxtel IQ setting is 'YUV' to 'RGB' and for the recorder from Video to RGB?

Yes to try:-

iQ (set to output RGB) tv scart >---(fully wired scart to scart cable)---> DVD recorder (set to input RGB) (with input select set to AV2)

DVD recorders HDMI output connected to TV (TV set to HDMI input)

Would I be correct in assuming that with the B1r/B1rS1 configuration, the picture display directly from Foxtel would 'sub-standard' since Scart to composite cables are used (as per the 3rd step) to connect the Foxtel to the TV? That is of course, if I don't perform the 3rd step and leave the Recorder on for viewing purposes.

Yes but because you have an iQ you could use a S-Video to S-Video direct from the iQ to your TV (Assuming it has a S-Video input). This would be better than composite but usually not as good as RGB or Component.

I curently have the IQ connected with scart yellow/white/red? - but should change this to blue/yellow/green? to get a bit better quality?

Do I also need to connect optical as well for the sound??

Yes get a Scart to Component & Audio cable (much better than composite/CVBS video which you have now).

Yes get a digital audio cable as well (for digital sound), your iQ should have optical(TOSLINK) & coaxial, your choice.

See FAQ (this threads first message) for more details.

hey guys,

recently, we bought a new amplifier (integra 7.8) and 3 new speakers (boston accustic vr3 and vrc). we also have foxtel digital, sony dvd player/recorder with a built in set top box, and an old 6 cd onkyo cd player. anyway, everything works fine except for when we watch foxtel, there is a loud humming. cd/radio/dvd are all fine. our old amplifer with two dali 202 bookshelf speakers (which finish off our 5 speaker surround sound) worked fine with no problems.

we live in an apartment and have cable foxtel.

i read that braid breakers might fix my problem but im not sure.

i rang clef hifi and was told to plug the amplifier into the wall instead of one of those multiple plug accessories. but that didnt help.

any ideas?

Edited by justin405

everything works fine except for when we watch foxtel, there is a loud humming. cd/radio/dvd are all fine.

These might help (isolator seems to be main reason):-

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=17414

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=7383

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=55130

If they don't help your probably better putting this message in home theatre section (or start a new thread in Foxtel section). But at least say which Foxtel STB you have (see FAQ) and how it is connected to your Amp.

Hi all - quick question re config...

I've got the IQ --> (SCART-Component) --> TV (AV2)

Along with L & R speaker cables going to TV AV2

(I do have an optical connection going to the AVR but we only use this if we're settling down to watch a big movie, etc)

I'd like to record to DVR and am wondering if SCART (VIDEO OUT) --> (Scart-SVid/L&R Audio) --> DVR (Line In) would work ie http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?I...=&SUBCATID=

or am I better going straight from the spare SVideo (out) to Svid (in) on the DVR? This would mean a splitter for the L&R audio outs from the IQ.

Finally, does foxtel actually use macrovision on BoxOffice? I frequently record movies, but we don't get around to watching them before they expire. If I play them and record them on the DVR then I'd still be charged for the view by foxtel (fair enough), but could watch at our leisure. Just wouldn't get 5.1 surround sound if that's what they were broadcast in.

I'd like to record to DVR and am wondering if SCART (VIDEO OUT) --> (Scart-SVid/L&R Audio) --> DVR (Line In) would work ie

No, you won't get S-Video from the VCR scart when you have Component(YUV) output selected (only Composite video).

or am I better going straight from the spare SVideo (out) to Svid (in) on the DVR? This would mean a splitter for the L&R audio outs from the IQ.

Yes. I take it your Scart to Component cable doesn't include audio so your already using the RCA audio output sockets. You you could use the audio from the VCR scart (you probably have a Scart to Composite & Audio cable lying around from the initial installation).

Finally, does foxtel actually use macrovision on BoxOffice?

Yes, but no harm in trying (some rare recorders ignore it), otherwise if you don't mind spending the cash(~$100) get a video stabiliser type device to remove it.

Not a reply, but another question about connecting the Pace 420 via scarts.

My TV scart connects to the TV via S-video. S-video is correctly set up as the output signal via Foxtel's system settings.

Video scart is composite connection to DVR and shows a monochrome picture when viewed via TV. Does the Pace 420 only output an s-video signal via the video scart if the tv scart is set to s-video? My DVR only accepts a composite AV input.

If the Pace 420 is indeed limited to only one type of output signal at a time, I guess I will have to re-set the TV scart to composite in order to record via my composite-only DVR.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Video scart is composite connection to DVR and shows a monochrome picture when viewed via TV. Does the Pace 420 only output an s-video signal via the video scart if the tv scart is set to s-video? My DVR only accepts a composite AV input.

The video/vcr Scart of the Foxtel STB outputs Composite except when the box is set to S-Video (when both Scarts output S-Video). Just connect the yellow RCA video socket on the Pace 420 to your Recorder and you can record Composite video (and still have S-Video to TV).

The video/vcr Scart of the Foxtel STB outputs Composite except when the box is set to S-Video (when both Scarts output S-Video). Just connect the yellow RCA video socket on the Pace 420 to your Recorder and you can record Composite video (and still have S-Video to TV).

Thanks cttc. That's how I have the system set up at present but it gives me a monochrome image via the recorder (just like the screen looks like when you change tv output settings to s-video prior to changing cables from composite). I don't understand how it can output composite if, as you say above, both scarts will output s-video if the settings are for a s-video image. I'm confused!

Snudger

I don't understand how it can output composite if, as you say above, both scarts will output s-video if the settings are for a s-video image. I'm confused!

Look on the back of the Pace 420, ignore the Scarts and what is coming from them, see the yellow RCA/phono socket, connect that to your Recorders video input (RCA plug to RCA plug cable). This separate Composite output should be independent of the scart output setting.

Look on the back of the Pace 420, ignore the Scarts and what is coming from them, see the yellow RCA/phono socket, connect that to your Recorders video input (RCA plug to RCA plug cable). This separate Composite output should be independent of the scart output setting.

Thanks again cttc. The penny has dropped! Don't use the video scart at all !! And for audio, use the 3.5mm combo audio connector.

I assume that when I upgrade to a DVR that has an s-video input, I can then use the video scart which will be outputing an s-video image.

Magic.

Cheers

And for audio, use the 3.5mm combo audio connector.

Or use the (video)Scart just for the audio.

I assume that when I upgrade to a DVR that has an s-video input, I can then use the video scart which will be outputing an s-video image.

Yes.