Sign in to follow this  
cttc

Foxtel Faq - Setup & Use (& Optus Digital)

Some great info in here, thanks all, but i have a couple of queries/points.

Got foxtel installed yesterday and i was really surprised at how crap the picture was (yep luckily i found your link cttc to the other thread where people were venting about the picture quality, so good to know i'm not alone). I got the scart to component but still found the quality pretty bad. I have an NEC 42' HD plasma and have been used to a HD STB and free-to-air where the pic is fantastic. Huge let-down to see the foxtel PQ but still, i need it to watch horse racing.

Couple of Q's.

1. In the system settings i did a signal test - i get full for signal quality but only 1 bar for signal strength, something like -12Db or whatever the acronmyn is. Is this a factor in the **** pic or am i just spoilt by my prev set-up and expectations too high?

2. I couldn't believe 7 this morning through foxtel was letterboxed. This was a shock. How/why is it not screened in widescreen like on FTA digital? To be honest it seems like foxtel digital is an extremely misleading title. Anyway i guess i can solve that by hooking back up my HD STB through DVI and watching FTA on that, still it would have been nice for ease of use not to bother.

3. I noticed through the threads on PQ how the bitrate was lower. I'm not that techhy when it comes to this but here's the query. The installation was done via my existing telstra bigpond cable. He put an adapter thing which meant the cable goes to my router and also to my foxtel. Does this mean my broadband is slowed? I mean, in theory isn't foxtel 'draining' some of the bandwidth? Maybe i'm wrong but my laptop seemed slower. Would love to know about this one.

Thanks in advance guys.

1. In the system settings i did a signal test - i get full for signal quality but only 1 bar for signal strength, something like -12Db or whatever the acronmyn is. Is this a factor in the **** pic or am i just spoilt by my prev set-up and expectations too high?

Not really a factor in picture "quality". Foxtel signal would drop out if too low. Digital FTA is just better and the bitrates on the horse racing channels are terrible from memory.

2. I couldn't believe 7 this morning through foxtel was letterboxed. This was a shock. How/why is it not screened in widescreen like on FTA digital? To be honest it seems like foxtel digital is an extremely misleading title. Anyway i guess i can solve that by hooking back up my HD STB through DVI and watching FTA on that, still it would have been nice for ease of use not to bother.

Seven is the analogue version (converted to digital) on Foxtel. Basically cause they hate each other.

3. I noticed through the threads on PQ how the bitrate was lower. I'm not that techhy when it comes to this but here's the query. The installation was done via my existing telstra bigpond cable. He put an adapter thing which meant the cable goes to my router and also to my foxtel. Does this mean my broadband is slowed? I mean, in theory isn't foxtel 'draining' some of the bandwidth? Maybe i'm wrong but my laptop seemed slower. Would love to know about this one.

No 'draining' they are on separate ranges.

I suggest you play with your TV settings as you might be able to make Foxtel look a bit better.

(I assume you set up (see instructions PDF in FAQ) the component correctly setting YUV and reseting or powering off the box at some stage).

Not really a factor in picture "quality". Foxtel signal would drop out if too low. Digital FTA is just better and the bitrates on the horse racing channels are terrible from memory.

Seven is the analogue version (converted to digital) on Foxtel. Basically cause they hate each other.

No 'draining' they are on separate ranges.

I suggest you play with your TV settings as you might be able to make Foxtel look a bit better. (I assume you set up (see instructions PDF in FAQ) the component correctly setting YUV and reseting or powering off the box at some stage).

Thanks for the quick reply cttc. Yeah TVN (horse racing channel) is def'ly pretty poor. The prices and names on screen are not 'clean' at all. Shame, but i can live with that as i'm an avid follower/punter.

Yeah i followed the instructions on set-up. Think i'm just spoiled with prev pic quality and it's a shock to regress to an inferior pic. For some reason i had this notion that pic quality would be better on Foxtel Digital than what i was getting on FTA, bit of a let down to find the opposite.

Yeah might have a play with tv settings but i'd done a bit of tweaking for FTA so wary of mixing it all up.

Cheers mate, you're doing a great job in this forum/thread. It's appreciated.

Hey Guys,

I am getting foxtel installed tomorrow and I just have a few questions.

1. Are you able to record free to air channels?? (I believe I am getting satellite installed)

2. What is the easiest way of recording foxtel to computer as I want to archive some football (english premier league, aleague etc.) games i would be recording.

cheers,

ben

Hey Guys,

I am getting foxtel installed tomorrow and I just have a few questions.

1. Are you able to record free to air channels?? (I believe I am getting satellite installed)

2. What is the easiest way of recording foxtel to computer as I want to archive some football (english premier league, aleague etc.) games i would be recording.

cheers,

ben

Hi Ben,

1) It depends on your area. Where are you located?

2) I'd recommend a DVD recorder to archive footage, especially long sports games. That way you have the option of just building your archive using the discs, or rip them to your hard drive as needed. There is no way to actually transfer footage from a Foxtel box to your hard drive directly (using an iQ for example), it will always involve either a special video capturing card on your PC (either via USB or a card slot), or burning to disc then ripping.

Hope that helped!

ok..turns out i didnt, and now i have to pay $120 installation for the i.q which i believe is unreasonable since the foxtel installer told me i would get it installed free of charge and when i ordered it the guy told me to just ring up and tell them i wanted i.q and i would get it (keeping in mind i thought it would just be exhchanging boxes etc.

so i am pretty pissed off we will have to pay $120 as i signed up with free installation in mind and thinking the easy start deal would include i.q (it does say best available packages)

anyone know how i could possibly get the installation fee down to $0

I've looked through this forum this topic but i can't find or figure out for myself (not for lack of trying) and asnwer to this problem which another member posted in january. I am having the exact same problem which is:

I've recently bought a new Samsung 36" LCD and then had foxtel connected.

I noticed that sometimes when you turn the TV on there's horrible static coming from the TV speakers.

Foxtel is connected to the TV via a SCART to Component & composite cable.

I have isolated the problem to just the foxtel box. It only happens when the red and white audio cables are plugged in.

The Foxtel box is the basic PACE one and also when it's switched off the problem goes. I have muted foxtel and the static humm remains, when i mute the tv there is perfect silence.

Any ideas on what could be causing this and what I can do to resolve this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I've looked through this forum this topic but i can't find or figure out for myself (not for lack of trying) and asnwer to this problem which another member posted in january. I am having the exact same problem which is:

I've recently bought a new Samsung 36" LCD and then had foxtel connected.

I noticed that sometimes when you turn the TV on there's horrible static coming from the TV speakers.

I have isolated the problem to just the foxtel box. It only happens when the red and white audio cables are plugged in.

The Foxtel box is the basic PACE one and also when it's switched off the problem goes. I have muted foxtel and the static humm remains, when i mute the tv there is perfect silence.

Any ideas on what could be causing this and what I can do to resolve this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I would be tempted to try a different cable - like this one

So it only happens sometimes, could you be more specific ?

Do you have anything plugged in the pace VCR scart?

Do you have anything plugged in the 3.5mm audio out on the pace ?

What are your Foxtel audio settings?

What brand cable are you using?

Things to try:-

A different brand cable.

Use the 3.5mm audio out on the pace (3.5mm to 2RCA stereo audio cable) instead of the audio leads from the scart.

Use the audio out on the pace vcr scart (with a Scart to VCR or another cable).

Try just using Composite + audio (nothing else plugged in) and see if it happens.

Try just using Composite + audio but instead just using pace vcr scart (nothing else plugged in) and see if it happens.

Try RF out on pace and see if it happens.

Try another TV or anything that will take the audio and see if it happens.

Could be:-

Bad cable.

Faulty pace or TV or other connected equipment.

Ground loop.

Electrical interference.

Hello, this be my first post... :ph34r:

Have always referred to this great forum for information and knowledge when setting up my HiFi.

Now i just have one question, I currently have the STB connected to my TV via SCART --> Component.

My brother has just bought a TV similar to mine, however he is at the other end of the house, and receives the picture through an IR sender/reciever.

IS IT POSSIBLE for him to receive the SCART --> Component picture quality that I currently have?

I notice TWO scart outputs on the rear of the STB. One is for the TV, the other for the video. Can I utilise the video SCART to be sent to his TV, so that he can get the component image quality?

Is there any other way he can obtain a component quality picture on his TV to match mine, by using other one STB.

Thanks in advance!

My brother has just bought a TV similar to mine, however he is at the other end of the house, and receives the picture through an IR sender/reciever.

The second(vcr) scart does not output component, only the tv scart one does.

Here are some of your options:-

Run RF output to other end of the house (most common method) (maybe through existing RF antenna wiring).

Run Composite & Audio output to other end of the house (from VCR scart or individual video out if your STB has one) .

Use S-Video output and get that from both scarts one for your TV one to other end of the house.

Buy a splitter/amplifier for your component output (not worth it normally) and run that with audio to other end of the house.

A second STB of course (with the extra subscription costs).

You don't say which Foxtel STB you have (see FAQ), if you have an iQ you have more options.

The second(vcr) scart does not output component, only the tv scart one does.

Here are some of your options:-

Run RF output to other end of the house (most common method) (maybe through existing RF antenna wiring).

Run Composite & Audio output to other end of the house (from VCR scart or individual video out if your STB has one) .

Use S-Video output and get that from both scarts one for your TV one to other end of the house.

Buy a splitter/amplifier for your component output (not worth it normally) and run that with audio to other end of the house.

You don't say which Foxtel STB you have, if you have an iQ you have more options.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

The Foxtel STB is not IQ. It is the dc420no model. (Foxtel Digital).

Can someone please help...

I need some information about connecting my (potential) home theatre system together. Below is the list of items i want to intergrate, and my essential requirements of how the system should perform.

I thought i had an idea of how to put it all together, but after reading the connections section i am just more confused.

So here goes,

Potential items:

- TV - Sony Bravia 40" X series LCD

- PVR/DVD Recorder - Sony RDRHXD-870

- Playstation 3

- Nintendo Wii

- A/V - Yamaha HTR-6030

- Foxtel Pace DC 420 Digital Cable Box

The essentials i want to achieve with the setup:

- Record Foxtel and FTA with the maximum video (recording and viewing) output. (I understand the PVR records in SD)

- Watch DVD's (using the RDRHXD-870) , Play PS3 games and watch Blu-ray movies (with the PS3) while sending the audio (from both devices) into the A/V receiver.

- Play Nintendo Wii while the audio is fed to the A/V receiver.

- Watch HD FTA TV with by sending audio to A/V receiver.

Non essentials:

- Option to watch Foxtel using TV or A/V audio without having DVD/PVR recorder on.

Please keep in mind my setup and essential requirements when making your suggestions and I would be very grateful if you give complete suggestions for the whole setup and not suggestions for each seperate component.

Kind Regards,

- TV - Sony Bravia 40" X series LCD

- PVR/DVD Recorder - Sony RDRHXD-870

- Playstation 3

- Nintendo Wii

- A/V - Yamaha HTR-6030

- Foxtel Pace DC 420 Digital Cable Box

The essentials i want to achieve with the setup:

- Record Foxtel and FTA with the maximum video (recording and viewing) output. (I understand the PVR records in SD)

- Watch DVD's (using the RDRHXD-870) , Play PS3 games and watch Blu-ray movies (with the PS3) while sending the audio (from both devices) into the A/V receiver.

- Play Nintendo Wii while the audio is fed to the A/V receiver.

- Watch HD FTA TV with by sending audio to A/V receiver.

Non essentials:

- Option to watch Foxtel using TV or A/V audio without having DVD/PVR recorder on.

There are so many combinations and this will probably be a work in progress but:-

Foxtel (TV)scart S-Video & Analog Audio -> TV

Foxtel (VCR/Video)scart S-Video & Analog Audio -> DVDRecorder

PS3 HDMI -> TV

Wii Component -> TV

DVDRecorder HDMI -> TV

TV Optical Audio -> AVReceiver

PS3 Optical Audio -> AVReceiver

DVDRecorders Coaxial Audio -> AVReceiver

Wii Analogue Audio -> AVReceiver

Optional TV Analogue Audio output ->AVReceiver

Optional Foxtel Analogue Audio output ->AVReceiver

Antenna (RF cable)->DVDRecorder->TV

You could instead record Foxtel using Composite and use Foxtel Component output.

I ran out of inputs on the AVReceiver for Foxtel's digital audio output.

I didn't try to use the AVReceiver for switching of video (as it doesn't have HDMI inputs/outputs).

I didn't make assumptions about the TV's ability to pass through Digital or Analog Audio.

Can I ask what picture setting that people use ?

I have Foxtel Digital and a Bravia X series.

I have been playing around with the picture setting and I can't seem to get it right.

On the box system setting,

do you adjust the pic setting from the box or TV ?

And on the TV, which mode should I use to watch Foxtel

(zoom, wide zoom, normal, can't remember the other one) ?

Is the picture coming from the box widescreen or is it just 4:3 ?

I'm just using a normal SCART to component.

Thanks.