Sign in to follow this  
cttc

Foxtel Faq - Setup & Use (& Optus Digital)

Just a question

Are they getting rid of "standard set top box" in the future :shrug: I'm not with foxtel yet

Are they getting rid of "standard set top box" in the future :shrug: I'm not with foxtel yet

Maybe for some time in the foreseeable future (use iQs) for new installs, but can't see them replacing all the boxes already out there for a long long time and they would need a very good reason (going all MPEG4 etc) .

Hi,

Cttc helped me setup around New Years and although I followed the instructions given,

this seems to be the setup that works best:

Foxtel TV Scart -> DVDR In (Non Syncro Rec)

Fox VCR Scart -> VCR In & VCR Out

DVDR Component Out -> TV Component In

DVDR Composite Out -> TV Composite In

What I'm wanting to do is for the Syncro Rec Input function that I have on my Pioneer DVDR to be triggered by the Foxtel STB on Auto-Tune.

The above setup allows me to record and playback on the Component Channel of my TV but when I swap over the input from Foxtel TV Scart -> DVDR In (Syncro Rec) I get nothing??

Can you help with the best set up please?

Thanks

So when you try to use Foxtel TV Scart -> Pioneer 550HS Input 1 (Auto start rec), (Using composite I assume?) you get nothing when you try to auto record Foxtel using autotune ?

I assume you have followed the steps in the Foxtel manual for autotune.

You have put the Foxtel STB into standby.

I assume you have followed the steps in the Pioneer manual for auto start recording.

Do you get a display from input 1 normally (not trying to auto start rec) ?

Do a test (on show coming on soon) and watch to check that the Foxtel STB comes out of standby for a program you select to autotune and see what your Pioneer does and displays.

I haven't done auto start recording on a pioneer so you might want to ask in one of those threads.

So when you try to use Foxtel TV Scart -> Pioneer 550HS Input 1 (Auto start rec), (Using composite I assume?) you get nothing when you try to auto record Foxtel using autotune ?

I assume you have followed the steps in the Foxtel manual for autotune.

You have put the Foxtel STB into standby.

I assume you have followed the steps in the Pioneer manual for auto start recording.

Do you get a display from input 1 normally (not trying to auto start rec) ?

Do a test (on show coming on soon) and watch to check that the Foxtel STB comes out of standby for a program you select to autotune and see what your Pioneer does and displays.

I haven't done auto start recording on a pioneer so you might want to ask in one of those threads.

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

I got a picture now, the input swaps to L1 on the Pioneer for Auto-Start and was on L3 before, swapped over to L1 and got picture and sound back.

Haven't tried Auto-Tune yet.

Are you saying that if you set the Foxtel box to auto-tune and then put it on standby it'll wake up?

That would be cool and just what I want.

From memory it does come out of standby for autotune and yes it needs to if your auto rec is going to work.

From memory it does come out of standby for autotune and yes it needs to if your auto rec is going to work.

Yep, just tried it and it works!

Any chance of auto-stopping or is this really in the I.Q realm of things?

Edited by beex

Hi guys,

Am new to the whole Foxtel thing and could really appreciate some help with getting the setup right.........

I have read the FAQs, but am still a little unclear as to what the best connection method would be, so any info or advice from previous experience would be greatly appreciated.

I have just updated my HT system. I now have a Panasonic DMR-EH65 DVD/HDD Recorder connected via HDMI to a Panasonic SA-XR700 Receiver, which is, in turn connected via HDMI to a Panasonic TH-50PX70A Plasma. I also have an LG DVD/VHS Recorder connected via component to the Receiver. All that lot work excellently and I get a fabulous picture quality and a system where I can operate most functions, LG device aside, from a single remote. Actually, if I could be bothered I could probably run the LG from the Receiver's Universal Remote.

Yesterday, the Foxtel dude came to setup the Foxtel (duh! :) ). He connected the Foxtel (not IQ) box to the DMR-EH65 via a Scart/Video Cable, which I know is not the best type, and then, as above, the DMR-EH65 is connected to the receiver and through that to the TV. So, I have to set the DMR-EH65 to its AV4 in order to be able to receive the Foxtel signal and then use the Foxtel remote to control its channels.

Now that works, but I can't help thinking there could be a better way to do it. The picture quality is pretty average, certainly when compared to even the SD FTA channels, let alone the HD ones, but the Foxtel signal is still being passed via HDMI to the TV. The reason that it is connected through the DMR-EH65 is so I can record from Foxtel if I need to.

So, to my queries........

1. Is there a better way of connecting the devices?

2.Would it make a difference if I got rid of the Scart/Video cable and replaced it with either a Scart/Scart or Scart/Component into the DMR-EH65?

3.If so, which type would be best?

All info and advice gratefully received.

Cheers.

Panasonic DMR-EH65 DVD/HDD Recorder

Panasonic SA-XR700 Receiver

Panasonic TH-50PX70A Plasma

Foxtel (not IQ) box

Two main options I would look at for best picture (keeping existing HDMI connections in place)(Assuming your existing Foxtel connection is Composite):-

Config A1rS3/A1rS1 (Potential Foxtel display quality: Very High, Record Quality: Average)

1. Foxtel's (tv)Scart output >---(Scart to Component & Audio cable)---> TV's Component & Audio inputs (or Receiver)

2. Foxtel's (video)Scart <---(Scart to Composite & Audio cable)----> DVD Recorder's Composite & Audio inputs (probably have this already)

or

2. Foxtel's (video)Scart <---(Scart to Scart cable)----> DVD Recorder's Scart (using Composite)(AV2 Scart Panasonic)

OR Config C1rS1 (Potential Foxtel display quality: High, Record Quality: High)

1. Foxtel's (tv)Scart output >---(Scart to S-Video & Audio cable)---> TV's S-Video & Audio inputs (or Receiver) (Optional)

2. Foxtel's (video)Scart >---(Scart to S-Video & Audio cable)---> Recorder's S-Video & Audio inputs

or

2. Foxtel's (video)Scart <---(Scart to Scart cable)----> DVD Recorder's Scart (using S-Video)(AV2 Scart Panasonic)

Two main options I would look at for best picture (keeping existing HDMI connections in place)(Assuming your existing Foxtel connection is Composite):-

Config A1rS3/A1rS1 (Potential Foxtel display quality: Very High, Record Quality: Average)

1. Foxtel's (tv)Scart output >---(Scart to Component & Audio cable)---> TV's Component & Audio inputs (or Receiver)

2. Foxtel's (video)Scart <---(Scart to Composite & Audio cable)----> DVD Recorder's Composite & Audio inputs (probably have this already)

OR

2. Foxtel's (video)Scart <---(Scart to Scart cable)----> DVD Recorder's Scart (using Composite)(AV2 Scart Panasonic)

OR Config C1rS1 (Potential Foxtel display quality: High, Record Quality: High)

1. Foxtel's (tv)Scart output >---(Scart to S-Video & Audio cable)---> TV's S-Video & Audio inputs (or Receiver) (Optional)

2. Foxtel's (video)Scart >---(Scart to S-Video & Audio cable)---> Recorder's S-Video & Audio inputs

OR

2. Foxtel's (video)Scart <---(Scart to Scart cable)----> DVD Recorder's Scart (using S-Video)(AV2 Scart Panasonic)

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. You are correct that the existing Foxtel connection is composite to the HDD Recorder and HDMI from there to the Receiver. There is currently no direct connection from Foxtel to the TV.

So, am I reading correctly from above that if I want the best quality for both displaying and recording Foxtel that a Scart/Scart cable is the way to go?

So, am I reading correctly from above that if I want the best quality for both displaying and recording Foxtel that a Scart/Scart cable is the way to go?

It doesn't matter if it is Scart to Scart (using S-Video) or Scart to S-Video & Audio cable the picture quality should be the same (your pick).

The picture quality improvement is going from a Composite video connection to a S-Video connection (or Component connection). With the appropriate setting change in the Foxtel STB & DVD recorders video input/output menus of course.

I should add the reason sometimes a scart connection is better is some DVD recorders can accept RGB input via Scart, or do auto record type stuff, afraid those features aren't in your DVD recorder.

It doesn't matter if it is Scart to Scart (using S-Video) or Scart to S-Video & Audio cable the picture quality should be the same (your pick).

The picture quality improvement is going from a Composite video connection to a S-Video connection (or Component connection). With the appropriate setting change in the Foxtel STB & DVD recorders video input/output menus of course.

ok, so excuse my ignorance here, but I'm assuming from above that Scart is the same quality as S-Video? (I've not used a Scart cable before so didn't realise this). If that is the case, would I not be better off using Component video into the DVD recorder, or does it not matter seeing as one end will be Scart anyway?

Cheers again.

Your DVD recorder can accept Composite or S-Video input (and RF) (no Component input, no RGB input). So the best input is S-Video. You can get that into your DVD recorder using a Scart to Scart cable or Scart to S-Video (mini din) & Audio (RCAs), same quality, your choice.

Scart to Scart can carry various video signals (Composite, S-Video, etc) you set what it is to use in the devices input/output menus.

Your DVD recorder can accept Composite or S-Video input (and RF) (no Component input, no RGB input). So the best input is S-Video. You can get that into your DVD recorder using a Scart to Scart cable or Scart to S-Video (mini din) & Audio (RCAs), your choice.

Doh! Of course. Good point.

Scart to Scart can carry various video signals (Composite, S-Video, etc) you set what it is to use in the devices input/output menus.

OK cool, understood. I presume that's in the Foxtel menu somewhere?

I presume that's in the Foxtel menu somewhere?

Setup then from menus go to System Setup -> System Settings -> Picture Settings -> Video Output

Don't forget to ‘Save New Settings'

If using a S-Video and a Scart to Scart cable also set your Panasonic AV2 Input to S-Video.

Thanks again for the help.

I have just discovered a potential flaw in my setup and wondering if you have an idea how I can correct it....

I am currently recording something off FTA TV to the DVD Recorder and I've just realised that I cannot even watch Foxtel now as I cannot change the channel to AV4 where Foxtel is. Is there a way that I can set things up to be able to watch Foxtel whilst recording something off FTA? I can watch FTA straight from the TV whilst recording either Foxtel or another FA channel, but can't watch Foxtel while recording FTA.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Edit:

Stupid me! I can connect Foxtel directly to the TV at the same time via Scart - Component can't I? That way when I'm recording FTA on the DVD recorder I can still watch Foxtel via the TV. That would work wouldn't it?

Edited by aled163

I can connect Foxtel directly to the TV at the same time via Scart - Component can't I? That way when I'm recording FTA on the DVD recorder I can still watch Foxtel via the TV. That would work wouldn't it?

Yes (both examples I gave had a direct connect from Foxtel to TV (or Receiver)) just remember:-

If you set the Foxtel STB to output Component(YUV) video it outputs Component out the tv scart only and Composite out the vcr scart (no S-Video available).

If you set the Foxtel STB to output S-Video it outputs S-Video out both the tv scart and the vcr scart (no Component video available).

In other words you cannot get Component(YUV) video and S-Video out of standard Foxtel STB at the same time (with an iQ you can).

So if you pick the first option I gave you, you can use (tv)Scart to Component video to directly connect Foxtel to TV (as shown in example).

If you pick the second option you use Scart to S-Video to directly connect Foxtel to TV (as shown in example)(or change the settings every time).

Yes (both examples I gave had a direct connect from Foxtel to TV (or Receiver)) just remember:-

If you set the Foxtel STB to output Component(YUV) video it outputs Component out the tv scart only and Composite out the vcr scart (no S-Video available).

If you set the Foxtel STB to output S-Video it outputs S-Video out both the tv scart and the vcr scart (no Component video available).

In other words you cannot get Component(YUV) video and S-Video out of standard Foxtel STB at the same time (with an iQ you can).

So if you pick the first option I gave you, you can use (tv)Scart to Component video to directly connect Foxtel to TV (as shown in example).

If you pick the second option you use Scart to S-Video to directly connect Foxtel to TV (as shown in example)(or change the settings every time).

OK understood, and thanks.

So if I go option 1 I will get a higher quality picture for display and a lesser quality picture for recording and if I go option 2 I will get a lesser quality picture for display and a better quality picture for recording. From your experience is there much of a difference between options 1 and 2 in reality?

So if I go option 1 I will get a higher quality picture for display and a lesser quality picture for recording and if I go option 2 I will get a lesser quality picture for display and a better quality picture for recording.

Exactly. Potential Foxtel (Display quality: Very High, Record Quality: Average) OR (Display quality: High, Record Quality: High)

From your experience is there much of a difference between options 1 and 2 in reality?

Not to my eyes. That is the difference between good quality S-Video and Component. (bigger difference between Composite and S-Video)

Excellent. Thanks.

I think I'm good to stop bugging you now. :D

Cheers for your help.

Has anyone Joined online to get Foxtel? how long does it take them to ring you?

I did it online, kind of late last night

Ok, after much pressure from the Mrs. I signed up for Foxtel today.

But i'm totally confused, the foxtel CSR assured me that it was a cable install. But at our place there is a dish on the roof and if I type in our address into the Telstra/Optus cable pages, it says we cant get cable.

I'd love for it to be cable, but should I get my hopes up? I'd be able to ditch the crappy aldi DVR to tape channel 7 then!

Sorry, i've just got one more question.

My partner and I have a housemate who didnt want Foxtel. Is there a function where we can lock out the whole box when turned on? (Instead of parental lock on all channels).

I know it will drive him mad to have it there and not be able to watch it. Will definitely make him not be a tight arse and go thirds in it :D