Sign in to follow this  
cttc

Foxtel Faq - Setup & Use (& Optus Digital)

I am in Perth with satellite Foxtel on which I receive the WA version of ABC. This is time-shifted from the Sydney version and also has some program differences eg news and some sporting programs.

I would like to be able to receive the Sydney version in addition to the WA version. I presume it comes from the same satellite, and there would is some programming of my set top box (IQ) that determines which ABC it receives.

Advantages for me would be to see a program (such as Lateline Business) that is normally a bit late for me, 2 hours earlier. Also I could watch the rugby on Satuday afternoon rather than the local WA aussie rules that is on the WA ABC.

Can someone tell me if what I want is achievable, and how?

I would like to be able to receive the Sydney version in addition to the WA version. I presume it comes from the same satellite, and there would is some programming of my set top box (IQ) that determines which ABC it receives.

Don't know how to do it with your iQ but do a search for Optus Aurora if it is something you really want.

Ok, I didn't get any responses in the PVR thread... so here's hoping!

I've got a Yamaha 2700 (Home Theatre AVR), Foxtel IQ, a 50' Pio 507 and plan to buy a Panasonic EX87 (DVR). I just want to sort out the cables. And yes I've looked at the guides, but we like to just be able to turn on TV occasionally without using the AVR.

Query's are in red and be grateful for and advice available from 77/87 owners:

AVR

----

AVR >-- (HDMI) --> TV Input 4

Foxtel

-------

Foxtel iQ >-- (TOS) --->AVR (for surround sound)

Foxtel iQ >-- (SCART TV Out via RGB Component) --> AVR (for pic) - the 2700 upscales/deinterlaces, etc and makes foxtel watchable

Foxtel iQ >-- (S-Video and R/L Audio) -->[ TV Input 1 (general viewing)

Foxtel iQ >-- (SCART Vid Out - DVR SCART In) ---> DVR ???? (but I think this is only Composite if it can do svideo then it solves the vid quality problem). Mind you I'd like to run Scart Out --> SVID --> Video Enhancer- which seems to accept only SVID --> DVR

Panasonic Ex77/87 (DVR)

---------------------

DVR >-- (HDMI) --> TV Input 2 (or is it better to go to the AVR with HDMI?)

DVR >-- (Component) --> AVR (or should I take this to the TV?)

DVR >-- (TOS) --> AVR (Surround Sound)

Help! Please!

Edited by Gondy

Foxtel iQ >-- (SCART Vid Out - DVR SCART In) ---> DVR ???? (but I think this is only Composite if it can do svideo then it solves the vid quality problem). Mind you I'd like to run Scart Out --> SVID --> Video Enhancer- which seems to accept only SVID --> DVR

Yes if you have component out the iQ TV scart you are only going to get Composite out VCR scart. You could of course use the separate S-Video socket instead of sending it to the TV.

Yes if you have component out the iQ TV scart you are only going to get Composite out VCR scart. You could of course use the separate S-Video socket instead of sending it to the TV.

Ok. Thanks for that... the S-Vid to TV was to save having to turn other equipment on. But I just thought of an alternative.

Since I've got Foxtel IQ >--(Composite) --> AVR, I also happen to have on the AVR Monitor Out (both Component and S-Video) so I could take this to the DVR. I can't see any L/R audio out on the AVR but if I split it at the Foxtel IQ this might work... so long as there are no noticable sync problems!

Please excuse the n00b type question and possibly incorrect thread (forum won't allow me to create new topic :wacko: )...some time ago when I was looking into getting foxtel there were people discussing sharing a subscription with 2 decoders i.e. Person 1 subscribes, gets 2nd decoder for another room, person 2 takes 2nd decoder to their house (which already has dish etc), both people split the cost.

I have searched quite thoroughly for recent posts covering this scenario but to no avail.

What I would like to know is whether or not this would work (purely for the sake of curiosity of course). In my hypothetical scenario, person 1 already has a subscription and a "non-iq" type decoder. Person 1 is thinking of upgrading to iq, person 2 isn't fussy, but would probably prefer iq as well. Person 2 probably would not plug decoder into phone line and understands that on demand and interactive stuff would therefore not be available.

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere (but I can't find it!).

EDIT: Query relates to theoretical Satellite subscription in Perth

Edited by kirk71

LOL yes the "two box" theory does work, and works well, but remember that it is against the T&Cs of the operators.

For you to get the best out of the IQ boxes, you'll need a dual LNB on each of the two dishes, if there isn't already one on the first dish the operator will more than likely install it when the "two" IQs are installed at the 1st site, you just need to ensure that the 2nd site is similarly configured.

Good luck

I have a Satelite Foxtel box and currently have it connected to my Sony TV and AV receiver. I would also like to have it display through my projector to watch footbal and movies etc, but have found it difficult to find info on how to do this.

Please advise

Hello I am new to this technology and I desperately need help to setup all my components so I could record anything I want from my dvd recorder.

Here is a list of my components what would be the best way to set them up.

81cm LCD TV with Hdmi

6.1 channel amp (No Hdmi connection)

DVD Recorder with Hdmi

HD Set top Box with Hdmi

Foxtel iq

I have read all setup threads but I am very confused about for example where does the antenna go set-top box or dvd recorder, how would I get a great picture on all etc etc any help would be appreciated.

81cm LCD TV with Hdmi

6.1 channel amp (No Hdmi connection)

DVD Recorder with Hdmi

HD Set top Box with Hdmi

Foxtel iq

Have a look at Config A1rdv or Config A1rdvs in this FAQ. With info like this:-

Config A1rdv - High end TV, Foxtel, Recorder, DigitalFTA Set top box, AVReceiver(not used for switching video)

1. Foxtel's (tv)Scart output >---(Scart to Component & Audio)---> TV's Component & Audio input

2. Foxtel's Optical Digital Audio output >---(Optical Cable)---> AVReceiver's Optical Audio input

3. Foxtel's (video)Scart <---(Scart to Composite & Audio cable)----> Recorder's Composite & Audio inputs

OR if iQ 3. Foxtel iQ's S-Video & Audio outputs >---(S-Video & Audio to S-Video & Audio cables)---> Recorder's S-Video & Audio inputs

4. DigitalFTA's Video & Audio output >---(Video & Audio cable)----> Recorder's Video & Audio input

5. DigitalFTA's Digital Audio output >---(Digital Audio cable)----> AVReceiver's Digital Audio input

6. Recorder's Digital Audio output >---(Digital Audio cable)----> AVReceiver's Digital Audio input

7. Recorder's best matched Video & Audio output >---(cable)---> TV's best matched Video & Audio input

Antenna->(RF in)DigitalFTA(RF out)->(RF in)Recorder(RF out)->(RF in)TV

Optional(but recommended) (required to view DigitalFTA directly (not via Recorder))

DigitalFTA's best matched remaining Video output >---(Video & Audio cable)----> TV's best matched remaining Video & Audio input

etc

Note: The Antenna normally only has to go to devices that have FTA(Free to Air) tuners that you are using. So if your TV or DVD recorder don't have tuners or you don't ever use them they can be left out of the antenna daisy chain.

You would have to give model numbers or at least available input/outputs (not just hdmi as foxtel doesn't do hdmi currently) for each of your devices for anything more specific.

I've got a weird problem. I'm using a 420 STU. Have got the TV Scart connected to TV all working fine. Trying to get audio into a LG combined DVD player/surround receiver. I tried the 3.5mm to 3 RCA cable supplied, via that I only get left channel. No right channel and no surround. Via a second SCART to 6 RCA lead, plugged to the second SCART connector on the STU, I get nothing at all. Any ideas? Thanks,

David

I tried the 3.5mm to 3 RCA cable supplied

Huh, supplied by who? The digital output on the 420 is optical (not coaxial).

Cable like these http://www.selbyacoustics.com.au/storefron...amp;i=195815276 http://www.foxtel.com.au/accessories/4753.htm

See instructions here http://www.foxtel.com.au/accessories/data/prd5.pdf

via that I only get left channel. No right channel and no surround. Via a second SCART to 6 RCA lead, plugged to the second SCART connector on the STU, I get nothing at all.

Not sure why you only get left channel analog audio. But don't know what cable you are using (not the correct design anyway). Try a 3.5mm stereo to 2 RCA type cable for just analog audio.

As for the VCR scart output you sure you are using the audio out RCA's not the audio ins. I assume this is a Scart to VCR type cable.

Huh, supplied by who? The digital output on the 420 is optical (not coaxial).

As for the VCR scart output you sure you are using the audio out RCA's not the audio ins. I assume this is a Scart to VCR type cable.

I wasn't there when it was installed, but I assume it was the installer. It's a 3.5mm plug with 3 gold sections seperated by insulators. The manual said that port is either digital out or combined analog out. It ends up with a yellow(video I assume) RCA lead and the L and R RCA audio connectors. The L and R is what I plug into the surround unit.

Yep the VCR scart is definately using audio out. I tried the audio in's as well just in case. Thanks,

David

Yep the VCR scart is definately using audio out. I tried the audio in's as well just in case. Thanks,

Can only suggest try connecting the audio out's from your VCR scart to your TV to make sure it is not your amp which is the problem. Don't know what the installer was smoking with the 3.5mm cable supplied.

Can only suggest try connecting the audio out's from your VCR scart to your TV to make sure it is not your amp which is the problem. Don't know what the installer was smoking with the 3.5mm cable supplied.

Seemed to be no output on the VCR scart at all. I also tried swapping over the audio leads on the 3.5mm cable, and left switch to right as one would expect. So it seems the amp is fine, it's just only getting one channel of audio from the Foxtel box. Thanks,

David