Sign in to follow this  
cttc

Foxtel Faq - Setup & Use (& Optus Digital)

ok here goes (i need to help my dad out)

he has just bought a panasonic 32" lcd and the panasonic DMR-EX77 DVD HDD and wants to be able to record foxtel.

What is the easiest way to do this. (i suppose many other people on here would have this set up)

I have read this thread extensivly and i am sure the answer is in there somewhere but i was hoping someone could give me a simple answer

he has just bought a panasonic 32" lcd and the panasonic DMR-EX77 DVD HDD and wants to be able to record foxtel.

What is the easiest way to do this.

The easiest way is using Composite like most Foxtel installations but it is not the best video quality:-

Config D1r Potential Foxtel display quality: Average, Record Quality: Average

1. Foxtel's (tv)Scart output >---(Scart to Composite & Audio cable)---> TV's Composite & Audio inputs

2. Foxtel's (video)Scart <---(Scart to VCR cable)----> DVD Recorder's Composite & Audio inputs & Composite & Audio outputs

OR

2. Foxtel's (video)Scart <---(Scart to Scart cable)----> DVD Recorder's Scart (AV2 using Composite)

3. DVD Recorder's HDMI output >---(HDMI cable)---> TV's HDMI input

Config A1rS1/A1rS3 is better (Potential Foxtel display quality: Very High, Record Quality: Average):-

1. Foxtel's (tv)Scart output >---(Scart to Component & Audio cable)---> TV's Component & Audio inputs

2. Foxtel's (video)Scart <---(Scart to Composite & Audio cable)----> DVD Recorder's Composite & Audio inputs

OR

2. Foxtel's (video)Scart <---(Scart to Scart cable)----> DVD Recorder's Scart (AV2 using Composite)

Config C1rS1 is another popular choice (Potential Foxtel display quality: High, Record Quality: High)

1. Foxtel's (tv)Scart output >---(Scart to S-Video & Audio cable)---> TV's S-Video & Audio inputs

2. Foxtel's (video)Scart >---(Scart to S-Video & Audio cable)---> Recorder's S-Video & Audio inputs

OR

2. Foxtel's (video)Scart <---(Scart to Scart cable)----> DVD Recorder's Scart (AV2 using S-Video)

There are more options just search the FAQ (this threads first message) for DMR-EX77.

Hi.. I am new to this so please bear with me and my "lingo".

I have a 47" Phillips LCD with natural motion & HDMI, Foxtel Pace DS250 and a DVD/Video combo.

Currently, i have the Foxtel TV Scart/Composite (Red/Yellow/White) going to TV Scart via an adaptor.

Foxtel Video Scart/(6 cables (Red,Green,Yellow,Black,Blue,White) going to DVD/Video combo.

Antenna into TV.

Foxtel settings 4:3, Centre Cut, YUV

TV settings - widescreen

I would like to:

A) confirm if this set-up is the most ideal to get optimum performance out of my TV

B) What cables can i get to improve Foxtel performance? Seems below expectation at the moment especially sports. Unusual considering the 3ms response.

C) Does Fox IQ have better quality pic?

TV's awesome for free to air, but i seem to think Fox can be better. Am i expecting too much or can i get better. Appreciate any feedback/suggestions/help i can get as i need it. Again, apologies for the somewhat novice terminology.

Currently, i have the Foxtel TV Scart/Composite (Red/Yellow/White) going to TV Scart via an adaptor.

Foxtel Video Scart/(6 cables (Red,Green,Yellow,Black,Blue,White) going to DVD/Video combo.

Foxtel settings 4:3, Centre Cut, YUV

I think you are confusing something here. You sure you don't have your cables/scarts mixed up. Can you list any writing on the cables. WHat source/input do you select on your TV to view Foxtel (eg Component 1 etc)? And to View DVD/Video combo?

I assume your TV is a widescreen so your Foxtel STB Menu:- Setup/System Settings/TV Type should be set to 16:9.

Foxtel iQ's picture quality is no better that the standard STB. But is does have a separate S-Video output socket which comes in handy if you want to record S-Video.

This would be the sort of configuration I would be looking at if I was you (Model numbers of the TV & DVD/VCR would help):-

1. Foxtel's (tv)Scart output >---(Scart to Component & Audio cable)---> TV's Component & Audio inputs

2. Foxtel's (video)Scart <---(Scart to VCR cable)----> DVD/VCR Recorder's Composite & Audio inputs

3. DVD/VCR Recorder's HDMI output >---(HDMI cable)---> TV's HDMI input (or if it only has component then that)

Thanks for info so far.

I would not be suprised if i have cables/scart confused.

Can you list any writing on the cables.

The 6 cables coming out of Foxtel DVD Scart into DVD player say either Audio/Video in and out.

The 3 cables (Red/White Yellow - lableled Audio/Video in and out) coming out of Foxtel are plugged into an adaptor which plug into a scart slot in TV.

WHat source/input do you select on your TV to view Foxtel (eg Component 1 etc)?

To view Foxtel, i select input on TV remote and scroll to ext 2

To view DVD i press AV on Foxtel remote

TV is Phillips 47/PFL9632D/79

Dvd/Video combo is Samsung DVD V6500

I hope my description is understandable.

TV is Phillips 47/PFL9632D/79

Dvd/Video combo is Samsung DVD V6500

Ok got it now, yes I suggest you improve your setup for better quality (live) viewing of Foxtel (it seems your TV has RGB scart input, rare for Australian models these days). And with another cable you can get better viewing of DVDs if you don't already also have component coming from the DVD/VCR combo.

Foxtel to RGB on TV. Foxtel to Composite on Recorder. Potential Foxtel display quality: Very High, Record Quality: Average

Requirements: TV with (scart)RGB input, Recorder with Composite input

1. Foxtel's (tv)Scart output >---(Scart to Scart cable)---> TV's (Ext 1) Scart input (using RGB)

2. Foxtel's (video)Scart >---(Scart to Composite & Audio cable)----> Recorder's (Line in 1) Composite & Audio inputs (already have this cable)

3. Recorder's (Line out) Composite & Audio output <---(VCR to Scart cable)---> TV's (Ext 2) Scart input (using Composite) (to view VCR/DVD)(already have this cable (6 RCA one))

Optional 4. DVD/VCR Component & Audio output >---(Component & Audio cable)---> TV's (Ext 3) Component & Audio input (to view DVDs better)

Foxtel settings:- Aspect ratio control=By STU, TV Type=16:9, Video output=RGB. (4:3 Programme Display=Pillar Box)

TV settings - Widescreen picture format=Unscaled (if possible, otherwise maybe widescreen or auto or flick it between 16:9 and 4:3 when needed)

OR Foxtel settings:- Aspect ratio control=By TV, TV Type=16:9, Video output=RGB. TV display settings - auto (assuming it does scart auto aspect).

To view Foxtel live on your TV select Ext 1 (Scart 1) input on your TV.

The AV button on the Foxtel remote will no longer display your DVD/VCR Combo instead you select another Ext (Scart 2) input on your TV.

PS If you want to get a bit tricky with the three left over rca plugs (Video & Audio out) from Cable 3 above, plug them into a line in (seems yours doesn't have a second line in on the front) on the Recorder and you might be able to record Digital TV channels that you are currently watching on the TV.

PS You could use Component from the Foxtel (tv)Scart to your TV, but Component and RGB should be about the same video quality wise and this way you have your only Component input free for use with your DVD/VCR combo or anything else that doesn't have HDMI.)(Probably also need a 2 RCA Female to 3.5mm Stereo Mini Jack Adaptor to plug in the audio if you use Scart to Component & Audio cable with your TV)

Thanks again for your help.

I have done all this now. Still not sure about this SCART converter/adaptor which i plug the composite cables into. Using this adaptor does not let me use the other SCART input as the cables protrude over. Therefore i have had to use the composite input on the side, hence not being able to plug in my XBOX (sorry forgot to mention). I'm guessing my best option would be to buy a Scart to Scart cable for Foxtel?

I am getting a Wii and DVD recorder in the next month.

I have done all this now. Still not sure about this SCART converter/adaptor which i plug the composite cables into. Using this adaptor does not let me use the other SCART input as the cables protrude over. Therefore i have had to use the composite input on the side, hence not being able to plug in my XBOX (sorry forgot to mention). I'm guessing my best option would be to buy a Scart to Scart cable for Foxtel?

Why are you using SCART converter/adaptor ? You have to use a fully wired Scart to Scart for cable 1 in my suggested setup or you won't get RGB (which is what will give you the better video quality). Cable 3 is scart at the TV end as well.

Ok, no worries. I didnt have one, but it will be a priority of mine for the weekend. Thanks so much !

Hi cttc

This is an amazing rundown but for someone like me without too much knowledge I'm still pretty confused after studying this for a couple of days. I was hoping you might be able to give me some assistance in getting my set up correct.

Our main objectives are to get the best from the new HD TV we have bought and to be able to record programs from Opts/Foxtel.

TV = Philips 47PFL9632D Connections = HDMI x 3 + Scart x 2 + Component x 1

Optus = Pace 420 Connections = Scart x 2

DVD Recorder = Philips DVDR77 Connections = Component x 1 + S-Video x 1 + Yellow/White/Red + Scart x 2

Sharp Video/DVD Player DV-NC70 Connections = Component, S-video and the Yellow/White/Red Connections

Is it possible that you could tell me how I connect all these together as I don't really have a clue. What about the Antenna, RF and any audio? Also what cables would I need to buy.

From what I can see I can't use HDMI cables as the only item with these connections is the TV.

An alternative situation is if I upgrade Optus Box to Foxtel IQ. In this case ... it would be

TV = as above

Foxtel iQ

DVD Player - Philips 5890 ( I think) upgrading ability to 1080 + HDMI connectivity

Sharp/Video as above - this is mainly for playing the kid's videos.

The other Philips DVDR77 could be used in another room.

I'm thinking the second option allows HDMI connectivy between DVD player and TV. All necessary recording could be done on Foxtel IQ. DOes this make sense???

Any assistance would be greatly apprecaited.

THanks

Edited by snoozi

You might want to remove that huge quote if you still can.

TV = Philips 47PFL9632D Connections = HDMI x 3 + Scart x 2 + Component x 1

Optus = Pace 420 Connections = Scart x 2

DVD Recorder = Philips DVDR77 Connections = Component x 1 + S-Video x 1 + Yellow/White/Red + Scart x 2

Sharp Video/DVD Player DV-NC70 Connections = Component, S-video and the Yellow/White/Red Connections

This is how I would probably do it (Potentially Very high quality video)(Cables I think you will need to buy are in bold, the others probably came with the equipment or Foxtel installation):-

1. Foxtel's (tv)Scart output >---(Scart to Scart cable)---> DVD Recorder's (Ext 2) Scart input (using RGB)

2. DVD Recorder's (Ext 1) Scart output (using RGB) <---(Scart to Scart cable)---> TV's (Ext 1) Scart input (using RGB)

3. VCR/DVD Player's (Line out 1) Composite & Audio outputs >---(Scart to VCR cable)----> TV's (Ext 2) Scart input (You probably already have this cable connected to Foxtel (video)Scart)

Antenna->(RF in)DVDR(RF out)->(RF in)VCR(RF out)->(RF in)TV (if you still record FTA(Free To Air) on the VCR & DVDR)

OR

Antenna->(RF in)DVDR(RF out)->(RF in)TV (if you only record FTA(Free To Air) on the DVDR)

Foxtel settings:- Aspect ratio control=By STU, TV Type=16:9, Video output=RGB. (4:3 Programme Display=Pillar Box)

TV settings - Widescreen picture format=Unscaled (if possible, not sure otherwise maybe widescreen or auto or flick it between 16:9 and 4:3 when needed)

OR Foxtel settings:- Aspect ratio control=By TV, TV Type=16:9, Video output=RGB. TV display settings - auto (assuming it does scart auto aspect).

DVD Recorder setting:- TV Shape=16:9, Video Output ='RGB + CVBS', if there is a setting for Ext 2 input, select RGB

To view Foxtel or your DVD Recorder on your TV select Ext 1 (Scart 1) input on your TV.

Use TV/DVD button on DVD Recorder remote to toggle between Foxtel or DVD recorder (or put DVD Recorder into standby and you should see Foxtel on TV).

To record Foxtel on DVD Recorder Record Channel/Input Ext 2.

To view your VCR/DVD Player select Ext 2 (Scart 2) input on your TV.

If you record Channel/Input Ext 1 on DVD Recorder you might be able to record anything currently displaying on TV (eg maybe even HD FTA channels).

There are heaps of optional cables you could do here are some:-

Optional Does your TV have digital Audio input? Coaxial? If so you could connect your DVD to it.

Optional if you wish to record Foxtel on the VCR as well:- Foxtel's (video)Scart >---(Scart to Composite & Audio cable)----> Video/DVD Player's (Line in) Composite & Audio inputs (You probably already have this cable connected to Foxtel (tv)Scart)

Optional to view DVDs better on DVD Player:- DVD Component & Audio output >---(Component & Audio cable)---> TV's (Ext 3) Component & Audio input

I'm thinking the second option allows HDMI connectivy between DVD player and TV. All necessary recording could be done on Foxtel IQ. DOes this make sense???

Yes that makes sense and would make it easier for you.

Thank you so much for taking the time and sorry about the long quote - I think I've successfully removed it. After a lot more reading last night, I'm now looking at trying the following combination.

TV - Philips (as above)

Fox IQ (this allows me to record)

Sharp VCR/DVD

Philips Ambisound (This allows me to play DVD + sound system).

I'm really sorry to ask you, but based on this configuration, could you suggest the best way to link it all up. If you could just refer me back to your initial response if parts are the same.

Also I notice you've recommended scart to scart cabling in a couple of places - is this the same quality as using the scart from Foxtel to component on the TV.

Finally if I just cannot figure all this out, do you have any recommendation on how I find a reputable company to do it for me.

Once again, thank you very much for your help.

Regards

Suzanne

Edited by snoozi

TV - Philips (as above)

Fox IQ (this allows me to record)

Sharp VCR/DVD

I would still do same sort of thing:-

1. Foxtel iQ's (tv)Scart output >---(Scart to Scart cable)---> TV's (Ext 1) Scart input (using RGB)

2. VCR/DVD Player's (Line out 1) Composite & Audio outputs >---(Scart to VCR cable)----> TV's (Ext 2) Scart input (You probably currently already have this cable connected to Foxtel (video)Scart)

Optional to view DVDs better:- 3. DVD Component & Audio output >---(Component & Audio cable)---> TV's (Ext 3) Component & Audio input

OR use Component from Foxtel instead of RGB (Probably also need a 2 RCA Female to 3.5mm Stereo Mini Jack Adaptor to plug in the audio if you use Scart to Component & Audio cable with your TV)(Foxtel Video output=YUV)

1. Foxtel iQ's (tv)Scart output >---(Scart to Component & Audio cable)---> TV's (Ext 3) Component & Audio inputs

2. VCR/DVD Player's (Line out 1) Composite & Audio outputs >---(Scart to VCR cable)----> TV's (Ext1) Scart input (You probably currently already have this cable connected to Foxtel (video)Scart)

Optional to view DVDs better:- 3. DVD S-Video & Audio output >---(S-Video & Audio cable)---> TV's (Ext 2) Scart converter S-Video & Audio input

Philips Ambisound (This allows me to play DVD + sound system).

Model? Anyway if its got HDMI just use that and it won't effect the above configs.

Also I notice you've recommended scart to scart cabling in a couple of places - is this the same quality as using the scart from Foxtel to component on the TV.

If you have devices that support Scart RGB the quality should be very good, about Component quality.

Finally if I just cannot figure all this out, do you have any recommendation on how I find a reputable company to do it for me.

It's not as hard as it sounds, sorry can't recommend anyone but you could try in another thread with your general location.

I would still do same sort of thing:-

1. Foxtel iQ's (tv)Scart output >---(Scart to Scart cable)---> TV's (Ext 1) Scart input (using RGB)

2. VCR/DVD Player's (Line out 1) Composite & Audio outputs >---(Scart to VCR cable)----> TV's (Ext 2) Scart input (You probably currently already have this cable connected to Foxtel (video)Scart)

Optional to view DVDs better:- 3. DVD Component & Audio output >---(Component & Audio cable)---> TV's (Ext 3) Component & Audio input

OR use Component from Foxtel instead of RGB (Probably also need a 2 RCA Female to 3.5mm Stereo Mini Jack Adaptor to plug in the audio if you use Scart to Component & Audio cable with your TV)(Foxtel Video output=YUV)

1. Foxtel iQ's (tv)Scart output >---(Scart to Component & Audio cable)---> TV's (Ext 3) Component & Audio inputs

2. VCR/DVD Player's (Line out 1) Composite & Audio outputs >---(Scart to VCR cable)----> TV's (Ext1) Scart input (You probably currently already have this cable connected to Foxtel (video)Scart)

Optional to view DVDs better:- 3. DVD S-Video & Audio output >---(S-Video & Audio cable)---> TV's (Ext 2) Scart converter S-Video & Audio input

Model? Anyway if its got HDMI just use that and it won't effect the above configs.

If you have devices that support Scart RGB the quality should be very good, about Component quality.

It's not as hard as it sounds, sorry can't recommend anyone but you could try in another thread with your general location.

Thank you again for your help. Just a few more questions:

1) I take it that these are just two options you have outlined above. What do you mean by Scart Input using RGB - what is RGB?

2) The Philips Ambisound I connect to the TV via HDMI. If I want the sound system to also supply sound to FOxtel IQ and VCR, do I need to somehow connect these to the Ambisound too?

3) Assuming I use option 2 outlined by you above, are the settings and how I record the same as you outlined in your first response to me?

4) The Scart to Component & Audio Cable - is that the cable with SCART connection on one end and five points on the other end? Somewhere I think I read there are 6 points on the other end?

Thank you again ... I think I'm almost there!!

1) I take it that these are just two options you have outlined above. What do you mean by Scart Input using RGB - what is RGB?

Yes just the two highest quality video output settings of the Foxtel STB. A Scart cable can carry a variety of video formats, RGB is a very high qualty video connection that is one of them. See wiki Scart for more details.

2) The Philips Ambisound I connect to the TV via HDMI. If I want the sound system to also supply sound to Foxtel IQ and VCR, do I need to somehow connect these to the Ambisound too?

Analog audio:- The TV has analog audio out (left and right RCA sockets), just use a stereo cable to connect those into your AUDIO IN on HTS8100.

Digital audio:- The TV (I assume) has coaxial Digital Audio Out, to get the digital sound from the TV connect it to your COAXIAL IN on HTS8100.

For Pace420 digital sound it has optical output so you would need a optical input on your TV or HTS8100 and they don't seem to have them (You still get analog audio through the TV to your HTS8100 if you do the above).

For iQ digital sound, if your TV has Coaxial digital sound input connect it to iQ's coaxial digital sound output.

3) Assuming I use option 2 outlined by you above, are the settings and how I record the same as you outlined in your first response to me?

Huh? No you use the iQ to record.

4) The Scart to Component & Audio Cable - is that the cable with SCART connection on one end and five points on the other end? Somewhere I think I read there are 6 points on the other end?

See this forums Foxtel FAQ for the details of cables, including links to actual products (which often have pictures).

Does a USB IR extender exist at all for the Foxtel IQ?

Not that I know of, assuming you mean connect to the USB port of the iQ. If you mean connect something to the USB port of a computer and sends IR codes to the iQ then they do exist (even one that uses iQ's RF2 to send codes).

If you want an IR extender why not just use the RF2 output (ie Multiroom kit).

In the Foxtel STB Setup/Picture settings Menu set TV Type to 16:9 (Widescreen).

In your TV's menu set your display to 16:9 (Widescreen).

Some Foxtel programs are 4:3 so there is also a Foxtel menu setting for what the Foxtel STB is to do with 4:3 programs (Put black bars, 14:9 or stretch).

See your Foxtel STB manual (PDF) for more details.

I have a similar query, in the sttings on my foxtel box, (I believe it is a DSN1000) for Aspect Ratio Control do you select "by TV" or "by Foxtel Box" to control the aspect ratio.??

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

for Aspect Ratio Control do you select "by TV" or "by Foxtel Box" to control the aspect ratio.??

Normally for a widescreen TV, have Aspect ratio control=By STU (and TV Type=16:9)

Though if using a fully wired Scart to Scart cable and your TV has an auto aspect mode you might pick Aspect ratio control=By TV.

(Don't think Foxtel does WideScreen signaling(WSS) in video output, only through scart pin 8)

why dont you add t/shooting tips to FAQ itll save stacks of time on those sometimes endless queue waits lol

soft reset *which fixes about 90% of foxtel issues*

hold down back+select/foxtel+standby for 3 seconds

this will turn the box off

when the red standby light goes on press the 'foxtel' button on the remote

searching for listings will come up

then it will come on onto the help channel.

more often than not this will fix "no listings" "no signal" ,pixelation, picture freezing, if you order a fbo and it doesnt work etc

hard resets are less successful but:

turn the foxtel off at the power

wait 30 seconds and plug it back in

press foxtel on the remote to turn it back on

you will get searching for listings then the help channel

error reading smart card or other smart card errors

perform a soft reset

while box is still off remove the smart card

(you will find the smart card either sticking out of the front of the box or in a drop down flap at the front)

remove the card

wipe it with a cloth/your shirt

insert it back in foxtel logo side up

press foxtel on the the remote

and wait for searching for listings/help channel to come up

trouble ording box office via the remote

make sure you have a phone line connected to it all the time - if the box cant 'dial back' *send your ppv info back to foxtel* it reaches a limit which will prevent you from being able to order - also when it finally does a dial back you will get stung with all the movies you ordered all at once!!!!

make sure you have no number blocks on the phone such as 1300/1900's

of course failing this you would need to call up and more than likely will need to get a technician out

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to get a Scart-Component Cable for Foxtel.

I connect my Foxtel through my DVD Recorder and then to the TV.

I only have component-out on my DVD Recorder and AV-in and out.

I think it also has S-Video. Is there any way to use component through the DVD Recorder?

If not, any other ideas? (I just want to get the best picture possible on my TV.)

Many Thanks.

why dont you add t/shooting

Yea haven't got round to a formal troubleshooting section.

I'm looking to get a Scart-Component Cable for Foxtel.

I connect my Foxtel through my DVD Recorder and then to the TV.

I only have component-out on my DVD Recorder and AV-in and out.

I think it also has S-Video. Is there any way to use component through the DVD Recorder?

If not, any other ideas? (I just want to get the best picture possible on my TV.)

Most DVD recorders don't have component input so you can't have component passed through the DVD recorder (you instead go direct to TV).

If your TV has two component inputs, you could have one from Foxtel (tv scart) and keep the one you already have going from your DVD recorder.

Or by the sounds of it you could use S-Video to DVD recorder (and also direct to TV if your TV has S-Video).

But you don't say what models you have so can't be sure.