Foxtel Owners & Discussion Thread

Actually they said ESPN was delivered over a 45Mbit/sec fibre connection. Which is then encoded to MPEG4 which has a maximum bitrate of 18Mbit/sec, it doesn't average this.

Agreed, but I wasn't going to type a transcript of the blog. They also describe the feed from Singapore. It is there for anyone to listen to.

I'm just objecting to all the recent spate of nonsense posts.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So..at the end of the day..is the new HD iQ really worth the extra they're going to charge,

bearing in mind the channels they'll be transmitting ?

well 2 7 9 & 10 are already FTA, HD movies will be PPV, and maybe 3 or 4 other stations of HD shows repeating repeating repeating.

If Platinum Package is $109 for the 'quality' they transmit now, will you pay more than $110 a month for the above mentioned + PPV on HD movies?

I’m sick and tired of the way Foxtel tantalise people by dangling the carrot with the inane advertising line ”HD is coming”

When Poland and Panama City can have cable HD before Australia it makes Foxtel look just plain stupid.

pay tv providers in 3rd world countries provides more

channels and shows than the pay tv providers we have

here.

as for poland and panama city, i wont be surprised if

they do get hd cable waaay before foxtel.

+1

i know for a fact that you can get between 40-100 different channels for around $10/month in the sub continent.

I’m sick and tired of the way Foxtel tantalise people by dangling the carrot with the inane advertising line ”HD is coming”

When Poland and Panama City can have cable HD before Australia it makes Foxtel look just plain stupid.

Agreed, Foxtel carry on like it is some big trade secret what is going to be happening. Because all hell would break loose if any of their competitors found out about their product & pricing. [insert sarcasm here.]

Sky here in NZ are doing the same type of ads. No info on pricing and content though..

Agreed, Foxtel carry on like it is some big trade secret what is going to be happening. Because all hell would break loose if any of their competitors found out about their product & pricing. [insert sarcasm here.]

:lol::lol::lol::lol: @ competitors remark

Thats the problem with our beautiful Oceanic Island, one cable provider that can charge whatever it wants, people that have been anywhere abroad would agree with me that we are the third world in terms of pay TV.

Their HD blog is interesting too. They invite you to comment with the proviso that they can censor before adding it to the blog.

I answered two threads with the truth that they failed to allow and one that sucked up and hey presto, it was added to comments.

I truly wish that Foxtel treated the public as human beings and not as automatons that follow their dictates.

Hi all - quick question re config...

I've got the IQ --> (SCART-Component) --> TV (AV2)

Along with L & R speaker cables going to TV AV2

(I do have an optical connection going to the AVR but we only use this if we're settling down to watch a big movie, etc)

I'd like to record to DVR and am wondering if SCART (VIDEO OUT) --> (Scart-SVid/L&R Audio) --> DVR (Line In) would work ie http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?I...=&SUBCATID=

or am I better going straight from the spare SVideo (out) to Svid (in) on the DVR? This would mean a splitter for the L&R audio outs from the IQ.

Finally, does foxtel actually use macrovision on BoxOffice? I frequently record movies, but we don't get around to watching them before they expire. If I play them and record them on the DVR then I'd still be charged for the view by foxtel (fair enough), but could watch at our leisure. Just wouldn't get 5.1 surround sound if that's what they were broadcast in.

I'd like to record to DVR and am wondering if SCART (VIDEO OUT) --> (Scart-SVid/L&R Audio) --> DVR (Line In) would work ie

No, you won't get S-Video from the VCR scart when you have Component(YUV) output selected (only Composite video).

or am I better going straight from the spare SVideo (out) to Svid (in) on the DVR? This would mean a splitter for the L&R audio outs from the IQ.

Yes. I take it your Scart to Component cable doesn't include audio so your already using the RCA audio output sockets. You you could use the audio from the VCR scart (you probably have a Scart to Composite & Audio cable lying around from the initial installation).

Finally, does foxtel actually use macrovision on BoxOffice?

Yes, but no harm in trying (some rare recorders ignore it), otherwise if you don't mind spending the cash(~$100) get a video stabiliser type device to remove it.

Not a reply, but another question about connecting the Pace 420 via scarts.

My TV scart connects to the TV via S-video. S-video is correctly set up as the output signal via Foxtel's system settings.

Video scart is composite connection to DVR and shows a monochrome picture when viewed via TV. Does the Pace 420 only output an s-video signal via the video scart if the tv scart is set to s-video? My DVR only accepts a composite AV input.

If the Pace 420 is indeed limited to only one type of output signal at a time, I guess I will have to re-set the TV scart to composite in order to record via my composite-only DVR.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

They do it because there is so many dumb people in OZ/US/UK/NZ.

Edited by Swish

They do it because there is so many dumb people in OZ/US/UK/NZ.

You are spot on Swish. Let’s face it, the government, the banks, all large corporations et al treat ordinary people as total morons and that’s exactly what we are - hello (total and utter sarcasm directed at them and not you Swish)

Video scart is composite connection to DVR and shows a monochrome picture when viewed via TV. Does the Pace 420 only output an s-video signal via the video scart if the tv scart is set to s-video? My DVR only accepts a composite AV input.

The video/vcr Scart of the Foxtel STB outputs Composite except when the box is set to S-Video (when both Scarts output S-Video). Just connect the yellow RCA video socket on the Pace 420 to your Recorder and you can record Composite video (and still have S-Video to TV).

The video/vcr Scart of the Foxtel STB outputs Composite except when the box is set to S-Video (when both Scarts output S-Video). Just connect the yellow RCA video socket on the Pace 420 to your Recorder and you can record Composite video (and still have S-Video to TV).

Thanks cttc. That's how I have the system set up at present but it gives me a monochrome image via the recorder (just like the screen looks like when you change tv output settings to s-video prior to changing cables from composite). I don't understand how it can output composite if, as you say above, both scarts will output s-video if the settings are for a s-video image. I'm confused!

Snudger

I don't understand how it can output composite if, as you say above, both scarts will output s-video if the settings are for a s-video image. I'm confused!

Look on the back of the Pace 420, ignore the Scarts and what is coming from them, see the yellow RCA/phono socket, connect that to your Recorders video input (RCA plug to RCA plug cable). This separate Composite output should be independent of the scart output setting.

Look on the back of the Pace 420, ignore the Scarts and what is coming from them, see the yellow RCA/phono socket, connect that to your Recorders video input (RCA plug to RCA plug cable). This separate Composite output should be independent of the scart output setting.

Thanks again cttc. The penny has dropped! Don't use the video scart at all !! And for audio, use the 3.5mm combo audio connector.

I assume that when I upgrade to a DVR that has an s-video input, I can then use the video scart which will be outputing an s-video image.

Magic.

Cheers

And for audio, use the 3.5mm combo audio connector.

Or use the (video)Scart just for the audio.

I assume that when I upgrade to a DVR that has an s-video input, I can then use the video scart which will be outputing an s-video image.

Yes.

I’m an avid reader of the blog by Patrick but have just noticed this, and I quote:

”FOXTEL welcomes your comments on this blog, but remember it is about HD and comments may not be posted if they address other topics. If you choose to submit a comment, you do so on, and accept, the following terms.

FOXTEL will not post any comments it believes may be – and you may not submit any comments which are – illegal, false, misleading, offensive, defamatory, otherwise unsuitable or infringes the rights of another party (such as copyright). When you submit a comment for posting, you grant FOXTEL a licence (non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual and worldwide) to deal with the comment in any manner as it sees fit, and you agree to be bound by the both these terms, and the terms and conditions of the FOXTEL website, as modified from time to time.

The views expressed by Patrick Delany in this blog are his own, and are not to be taken as the views of FOXTEL or its related entities.”

Please note that Foxtel welcomes comments but in the 3rd para it states that Foxtel disowns Patrick (who works for Foxtel) thereby making the first 2 paras irrelevant.

I believe this is indicative of Foxtel’s arrogance and believing we are all stupid.

I’m an avid reader of the blog by Patrick but have just noticed this, and I quote:

”FOXTEL welcomes your comments on this blog, but remember it is about HD and comments may not be posted if they address other topics. If you choose to submit a comment, you do so on, and accept, the following terms.

FOXTEL will not post any comments it believes may be – and you may not submit any comments which are – illegal, false, misleading, offensive, defamatory, otherwise unsuitable or infringes the rights of another party (such as copyright). When you submit a comment for posting, you grant FOXTEL a licence (non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual and worldwide) to deal with the comment in any manner as it sees fit, and you agree to be bound by the both these terms, and the terms and conditions of the FOXTEL website, as modified from time to time.

The views expressed by Patrick Delany in this blog are his own, and are not to be taken as the views of FOXTEL or its related entities.”

Please note that Foxtel welcomes comments but in the 3rd para it states that Foxtel disowns Patrick (who works for Foxtel) thereby making the first 2 paras irrelevant.

I believe this is indicative of Foxtel’s arrogance and believing we are all stupid.

I don't see the problem - they've posted a lot of comments that are far from positive.

I don't think they they have just posted positive comments. Here are a sample from the first four posts only. I think it has to do with how you word them. If it was me and your flat out flaming I wouldn't put it up. Its not a forum its a blog, its not just an open forum where you can flame people. Its meant to serve as a function so you can discuss posts with the author.

Also to be fair how many other Australian companies have a blog and video clips featuring two of their executives discussing a new product. Also how many have their executives answer questions posed by the general public? I can't think of any.

Foxtel have some serious issues, but you can't **** about them because of their blog.

I'll again liken them to Apple. In the states before the iPhone was released they slow burned the release of information about it. This had the benefit of when ever a new bit of information came out people started talking about it, even though not much information was coming out. Price and when it would be launched were two of the last things released. A company would do this because if you tell the public its not coming out for 6 months they mentally think its not coming out for ages, I'll worry about it later. This makes it very hard to build buzz a long way out from a launch. Similarly if you release price to early before all the key information is released people might think that price point is too high and then they don't care about the product. However once they know the full details they might think that's actually a fair price point. Really its all about building buzz and interest in the product. To me Foxtel is playing this perfectly so far from a marketing point of view. However the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Brisvegas1 said:

So will there be an appropriate bandwidth dedicated to the HD chanels? Currently the level of macroblocking and other digital artifacts associated with starved bitrates make many shows less than pleasent to watch.

DVDs and now HD-DVDs/BluRay look so much better than the majority of shows on foxtel... if you expect us to pay a premium for the new service you really need to provide us with a premium quality service.

Even SD video can look great if it isn't starved for bitrate.

If your new set top box could take advantage of more advanced codecs like MP4 you could actually start showing more shows in great quality. Right now FTA and disc based media looks better than foxtel - you need to deal with the video quality issue ASAP.

JOE said:

About time! was going to get the fox diconnected because of picture quality, but will wait see how good your HD is and of course price packages.

kevin said:

This is meant to be a BLOG on your hi-def offering. That usually means a warts and all discussion. In reality it appears to be more a spin factory, chocful of handpicked excited praise from loyaly and excited Foxtel customers.

It's disappointing that you guys are seemingly filtering out any embarrassing questions or criticisms of this product.

As foxtel ever more closely emulates the broadcast format of free-to-air television vis-a-vis endless program pointers and commercial advertising, such smoke and mirrors on the whole HD thing really makes me question the value of subscription. kevin

Dear Jelly Man i am around your age and i am a technical genius, i have already expressed my interest in being a IQHD tester. I think that both of us would be great at testing this new HD service to it fullest extent and that it wouldent be right to pull us back because of our age.
The promise of HD will not of itself get you over the line. Many are going to be dubious about the quality of your proposed HD offering given your track record re SD signal quality and the obvious low bit rates of some programmes. This manifests in certain ways e.g. image shifting on facial close ups, motion artefacts, reduced clarity generally and being able to see the building blocks of the picture (FYI: I use high end cables - QED & audioquest for my connections).
So not even Showtime or the Movie Networks are in HD? That's pretty low. It's not like they have the work cut out for them: they already have the films in HD.

This better not be so you can give Box Office a step up.

Hi Patrick,

If I've read the details right, the only movies in HD are BoxOffice movies (pay-per-view)?

If so, i find this rather disappointing.

I'm a movies subscriber (all movie channels) but i don't get sports. Hence I'll probably only get to enjoy BBC (which i never watch).

This doesn't give me much incentive to upgrade (and I assume pay more). Will this be revised, or is it static for a period?

Andrew

How come there is such a fanfare for such a pitiful offering, no offence but HD channels are not exactly new, some countries have had them now for getting on 10 years+ and the only extra cost is to the movie channels, this stinks of exploiting HD content hungry user base, you dare charge for what your offering, I can see no incentive.. Also a good point was raised earlier about the 4.3 letter boxing, wouldnt it be nice if you sorted out exsisting transmissions before leaping for what appears too early into HD or as it appears to me HD beta with extra costs.

Look foreward to the spin(cough) sorry reply.

Edited by Hosko