Foxtel Owners & Discussion Thread

If Foxtel HD launches in April then surely NINE & SEVEN will have some catching up to do...especially NINE not showing NRL in HD while Fox games will be.

Well...that depends on what the compression is like. Hopefully it won't be as bad as their SD channels.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

I have been a long time reader of these forums but this will be my first post. This is not really a query but more of an observation.

I remember reading a couple days ago that the new HD+ IQ box will have 4 tuners and got my wondering if we need to have 4 cables running to our satellite dishes.

These new pictures of the HD+ IQ box show there is only one antenna connector on the back of the box which would indicate to me that unlike the current IQ box, the inbuilt tuners can share the one connection. I certainly hope this is the case as I dont think I could squeeze any more coax cable through the conduits in my house.

The box shown in the release would have been a cable version, hence one cable internally split between the 4tuners.

The satellite version will still only require 2 coaxs to the dish as it presumably will have a built in multiswitch (or be supplied with an external one) to distribute between the 4tuners.

Foxtels cabling requirements are only for two feeds, have been for some years now and still are, these two feeds are all that is required to feed a 4 or more tuner PVR.

yes thats an ethernet port on the back, I presume that it will be used to spool interactive content from the net, SkyNZ who will be launching the exact same boxs latter this year have already made comments about quite complex levels of interactivity.

The ethernet port also could be used for media server type applications, about 2yrs ago I had demonstrated by Pace in the UK a near identically specd box that could serve upto 3thin clients, which are essentially near idential boxs to the one shown but sans HDD and tuners. This however may not be a concept that Foxtel currently intend to support. The NDS XTV PVR application is capable of acting as a media server, only one CA is needed for all 4servers/clients to access both the HDD and tuners.

Cyril

Edited by cyril

yes thats an ethernet port on the back, I presume that it will be used to spool interactive content from the net, SkyNZ who will be launching the exact same boxs latter this year have already made comments about quite complex levels of interactivity.

The ethernet port also could be used for media server type applications, about 2yrs ago I had demonstrated by Pace in the UK a near identically specd box that could serve upto 3thin clients, which are essentially near idential boxs to the one shown but sans HDD and tuners. This however may not be a concept that Foxtel currently intend to support. The NDS XTV PVR application is capable of acting as a media server, only one CA is needed for all 4servers/clients to access both the HDD and tuners.

Cyril

Based on existing experience I would suggest that the ethernet port will be crippled and/or locked down to limited Foxtel related use.

The NFL is one of the major reasons I have Foxtel. There is nothing more frustrating at the moment than watching NFL on ESPN with ESPN HD logo's all over the place and the worst quality picture of anything on Foxtel (or any other source!). If we get NFL in decent quality HD then I will be much happier. And I love my IQ - so am sure I will love an HD version even more.

However, there is a price at which it is no longer worth having. Foxtel (and Optus and the Govt) roll-out created a much higher cost base for the industry than should have been the case -- many suburbs with 2 cables and then satelite over the top! They don't have that in the US in a market 15x bigger than ours. There is a point at which I am longer prepared to help dig them out of their hole.

Interestingly Channel 10 have announced they are taking up NFL coverage and will be showing at least 2 games a weekend - in HD. I think the FTA channels have realised that sport is a major draw. Between this and (legal) online downloads Foxtel is not going to be the only game in town.

The EPL doesn't ave its own channel. FoxSports ave exclusive rights in Australia, SBS a few years back use to show 1 game a week and the Highlights Show but Fox buried em by coffin up more dough! SkySports in the UK ave most the rights to EPL and I think do show some games in HD so we'll ave to wait and see what Foxsports HD dish up.

Incorrect. Fox offered SBS the rights for 1 game a weekend and the highlights show at the same rate as previously but SBS had blown their sports budget by covering such sports as cricket and the olympics. Not sure how they got away with cricket with their charter????

Incorrect. Fox offered SBS the rights for 1 game a weekend and the highlights show at the same rate as previously but SBS had blown their sports budget by covering such sports as cricket and the olympics. Not sure how they got away with cricket with their charter????

Fair enough I wasn't sure of the details why SBS were out of the loop. SBS are really suffering that stupid show the World Game has got nothing worth while watching, way too much banter which is useless for us deaf folk!

Edited by Deaf Bhoy

Did you even look at the image before making those comments, if you look at the top left section of the box you would have noticed component and composite RCA connections as well as RCA stereo audio. Add those to two scart connectors and a HDMI connector and this box has all the outputs you'll need. You may think scart is a silly connector but its the most compact way of providing composite, Y/V, component and RGB connectors.

Actually I did have a good look at the back (even tho’ the pic size is but a thumbnail) and I still maintain my point of view. There are very few HD panels (if any) that have SCART unless you take into account the overpriced and under spec European imports.

If you are talking compact, then HDMI is light years ahead of SCART and it can carry digital audio which SCART can’t.

In the Foxtel STB Setup/Picture settings Menu set TV Type to 16:9 (Widescreen).

In your TV's menu set your display to 16:9 (Widescreen).

Some Foxtel programs are 4:3 so there is also a Foxtel menu setting for what the Foxtel STB is to do with 4:3 programs (Put black bars, 14:9 or stretch).

See your Foxtel STB manual (PDF) for more details.

I have a similar query, in the sttings on my foxtel box, (I believe it is a DSN1000) for Aspect Ratio Control do you select "by TV" or "by Foxtel Box" to control the aspect ratio.??

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

for Aspect Ratio Control do you select "by TV" or "by Foxtel Box" to control the aspect ratio.??

Normally for a widescreen TV, have Aspect ratio control=By STU (and TV Type=16:9)

Though if using a fully wired Scart to Scart cable and your TV has an auto aspect mode you might pick Aspect ratio control=By TV.

(Don't think Foxtel does WideScreen signaling(WSS) in video output, only through scart pin 8)

Actually I did have a good look at the back (even tho’ the pic size is but a thumbnail) and I still maintain my point of view. There are very few HD panels (if any) that have SCART unless you take into account the overpriced and under spec European imports.

If you are talking compact, then HDMI is light years ahead of SCART and it can carry digital audio which SCART can’t.

And its got a HDMI connector, I really don't get what your own about.

And its got a HDMI connector, I really don't get what your own about.

What I’m (on) about is redundancy - why have wasted space and utilities when they have no place in the HD world.

I have in my line-up an Onkyo 705, HDMI switcher, HDMI scaler, PS3, Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD, Samsung HDD-DVD, Tomacro HD media player, Mvix media player and a Samsung HD panel - none of which have any trace of a SCART socket. Whoops, I forgot the Foxtel IQ has SCART and we all know just how good the Foxtel quality is, don’t we :rolleyes:

Whoops, I forgot the Foxtel IQ has SCART and we all know just how good the Foxtel quality is, don’t we :rolleyes:

And its the connector that is the source of the poor quality?? It wouldn't have anything to do to incredibly small bitrate they use??

Another issue is as you pointed out the current STU's all use SCART. This means that people already have scart connectors plugged into their displays and VCR's. So if people want to still use their VCR's and DVD burners its simply unplugging the old plug in the new, plug the HDMI or component cables in and install complete.

What I’m (on) about is redundancy - why have wasted space and utilities when they have no place in the HD world.

I have in my line-up an Onkyo 705, HDMI switcher, HDMI scaler, PS3, Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD, Samsung HDD-DVD, Tomacro HD media player, Mvix media player and a Samsung HD panel - none of which have any trace of a SCART socket.

So you'll just pluf the HDMI connector into your HDMI switcher and if thats full use component. I really don't know how much more redundancy you need. They only reason you would need more is if one was to break, BUT you don't own the box, Foxtel does so if it breaks you get it replaced for free.

Edited by Hosko

I dont have IQ.

If I want the HD channels will I be able to get a non IQ box so can watch HD

or am I going to be suckered into getting the new breed of IQ2 ?

Foxtel is getting rid of every non-iQ box across their entire network so they aren't offering any non-iQ HD STU's

i personally thought fox8 was a must to go hd

If you look at the channels that are being included within the HD package: BBC, Discovery/Nat Geo, Fox Sports and ESPN. None of these channels are produced by Foxtel, they will simply be received and and transmitted by them. Perhaps they aren't ready to produce a channel internally yet.

Foxtel is getting rid of every non-iQ box across their entire network so they aren't offering any non-iQ HD STU's

So does that mean that down the track you are forced to pay extra $'s as you will have to take IQ2 as in if I keep my current box

and it breaks down, they will only replace with something that I have to pay more for ?

why dont you add t/shooting tips to FAQ itll save stacks of time on those sometimes endless queue waits lol

soft reset *which fixes about 90% of foxtel issues*

hold down back+select/foxtel+standby for 3 seconds

this will turn the box off

when the red standby light goes on press the 'foxtel' button on the remote

searching for listings will come up

then it will come on onto the help channel.

more often than not this will fix "no listings" "no signal" ,pixelation, picture freezing, if you order a fbo and it doesnt work etc

hard resets are less successful but:

turn the foxtel off at the power

wait 30 seconds and plug it back in

press foxtel on the remote to turn it back on

you will get searching for listings then the help channel

error reading smart card or other smart card errors

perform a soft reset

while box is still off remove the smart card

(you will find the smart card either sticking out of the front of the box or in a drop down flap at the front)

remove the card

wipe it with a cloth/your shirt

insert it back in foxtel logo side up

press foxtel on the the remote

and wait for searching for listings/help channel to come up

trouble ording box office via the remote

make sure you have a phone line connected to it all the time - if the box cant 'dial back' *send your ppv info back to foxtel* it reaches a limit which will prevent you from being able to order - also when it finally does a dial back you will get stung with all the movies you ordered all at once!!!!

make sure you have no number blocks on the phone such as 1300/1900's

of course failing this you would need to call up and more than likely will need to get a technician out

To have not included HDMI would have been a major retrograde step but to continue having SCART is beyond belief. Hey, Foxtel we live in Oz not Manchester :rolleyes:

And the problem with SCART is what exactly?

If i want to run component to component i have to plug each cable in and then make sure the cables are pluged into the matching ports on both the tv and stu. Thats 10 things which need plugging in, lots of chances to get it wrong..

If i use SCART all i need to do is plug in one plug to the STB and then plug the correct component plugs into my TV

SCART seems easier, no?

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/hdmi-vs-comp...view-29615.html

$*%(@&! HDMI fanbois