Foxtel Owners & Discussion Thread

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fOXTEL digital never been so perfecto.. Oh though it does but only 80% of it.. when i had analogue foxtel it was shocking then digital arrives it looks alittle better from 50% bad quality to 80% better quality.. Oh though it is not yet in the 100% as quality... america can or allready does better then what we have to offer..

So hopefuly in the near future one by one and one by any channel HD jumps in until it is fully HD all channels on the go.. There isnt much channels to offer on foxtel. Compare to the pay tv in usa they sure have more then 100 channels to choose from.. And yes they also have more then one pay tv company.

Theres optus pay tv and foxtel but optus is more joining together with foxtel.. Remember galaxy? where they a different company or just a renew name as foxtel ? i remember galaxy and there wasnt much there apart from 10 to 12ish channels to choose from in 1998ish...

Linda'

xoxox

yes its very awful. off the thread when is your railway link opening

Actually it's very much in response to the hijacking off this thread.

It directly answers some questions you had been posing in another Foxtel thread.

Have a look in the off topic forum section and all will become clear. ;)

And in response to the question,October.

Thanks for asking. :)

Ols

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I didn't get any responses in the PVR thread... so here's hoping!

I've got a Yamaha 2700 (Home Theatre AVR), Foxtel IQ, a 50' Pio 507 and plan to buy a Panasonic EX87 (DVR). I just want to sort out the cables. And yes I've looked at the guides, but we like to just be able to turn on TV occasionally without using the AVR.

Query's are in red and be grateful for and advice available from 77/87 owners:

AVR

----

AVR >-- (HDMI) --> TV Input 4

Foxtel

-------

Foxtel iQ >-- (TOS) --->AVR (for surround sound)

Foxtel iQ >-- (SCART TV Out via RGB Component) --> AVR (for pic) - the 2700 upscales/deinterlaces, etc and makes foxtel watchable

Foxtel iQ >-- (S-Video and R/L Audio) -->[ TV Input 1 (general viewing)

Foxtel iQ >-- (SCART Vid Out - DVR SCART In) ---> DVR ???? (but I think this is only Composite if it can do svideo then it solves the vid quality problem). Mind you I'd like to run Scart Out --> SVID --> Video Enhancer- which seems to accept only SVID --> DVR

Panasonic Ex77/87 (DVR)

---------------------

DVR >-- (HDMI) --> TV Input 2 (or is it better to go to the AVR with HDMI?)

DVR >-- (Component) --> AVR (or should I take this to the TV?)

DVR >-- (TOS) --> AVR (Surround Sound)

Help! Please!

Edited by Gondy

Foxtel iQ >-- (SCART Vid Out - DVR SCART In) ---> DVR ???? (but I think this is only Composite if it can do svideo then it solves the vid quality problem). Mind you I'd like to run Scart Out --> SVID --> Video Enhancer- which seems to accept only SVID --> DVR

Yes if you have component out the iQ TV scart you are only going to get Composite out VCR scart. You could of course use the separate S-Video socket instead of sending it to the TV.

Yes if you have component out the iQ TV scart you are only going to get Composite out VCR scart. You could of course use the separate S-Video socket instead of sending it to the TV.

Ok. Thanks for that... the S-Vid to TV was to save having to turn other equipment on. But I just thought of an alternative.

Since I've got Foxtel IQ >--(Composite) --> AVR, I also happen to have on the AVR Monitor Out (both Component and S-Video) so I could take this to the DVR. I can't see any L/R audio out on the AVR but if I split it at the Foxtel IQ this might work... so long as there are no noticable sync problems!

Please excuse the n00b type question and possibly incorrect thread (forum won't allow me to create new topic :wacko: )...some time ago when I was looking into getting foxtel there were people discussing sharing a subscription with 2 decoders i.e. Person 1 subscribes, gets 2nd decoder for another room, person 2 takes 2nd decoder to their house (which already has dish etc), both people split the cost.

I have searched quite thoroughly for recent posts covering this scenario but to no avail.

What I would like to know is whether or not this would work (purely for the sake of curiosity of course). In my hypothetical scenario, person 1 already has a subscription and a "non-iq" type decoder. Person 1 is thinking of upgrading to iq, person 2 isn't fussy, but would probably prefer iq as well. Person 2 probably would not plug decoder into phone line and understands that on demand and interactive stuff would therefore not be available.

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere (but I can't find it!).

EDIT: Query relates to theoretical Satellite subscription in Perth

Edited by kirk71

LOL yes the "two box" theory does work, and works well, but remember that it is against the T&Cs of the operators.

For you to get the best out of the IQ boxes, you'll need a dual LNB on each of the two dishes, if there isn't already one on the first dish the operator will more than likely install it when the "two" IQs are installed at the 1st site, you just need to ensure that the 2nd site is similarly configured.

Good luck

I have a Satelite Foxtel box and currently have it connected to my Sony TV and AV receiver. I would also like to have it display through my projector to watch footbal and movies etc, but have found it difficult to find info on how to do this.

Please advise

Hello I am new to this technology and I desperately need help to setup all my components so I could record anything I want from my dvd recorder.

Here is a list of my components what would be the best way to set them up.

81cm LCD TV with Hdmi

6.1 channel amp (No Hdmi connection)

DVD Recorder with Hdmi

HD Set top Box with Hdmi

Foxtel iq

I have read all setup threads but I am very confused about for example where does the antenna go set-top box or dvd recorder, how would I get a great picture on all etc etc any help would be appreciated.

81cm LCD TV with Hdmi

6.1 channel amp (No Hdmi connection)

DVD Recorder with Hdmi

HD Set top Box with Hdmi

Foxtel iq

Have a look at Config A1rdv or Config A1rdvs in this FAQ. With info like this:-

Config A1rdv - High end TV, Foxtel, Recorder, DigitalFTA Set top box, AVReceiver(not used for switching video)

1. Foxtel's (tv)Scart output >---(Scart to Component & Audio)---> TV's Component & Audio input

2. Foxtel's Optical Digital Audio output >---(Optical Cable)---> AVReceiver's Optical Audio input

3. Foxtel's (video)Scart <---(Scart to Composite & Audio cable)----> Recorder's Composite & Audio inputs

OR if iQ 3. Foxtel iQ's S-Video & Audio outputs >---(S-Video & Audio to S-Video & Audio cables)---> Recorder's S-Video & Audio inputs

4. DigitalFTA's Video & Audio output >---(Video & Audio cable)----> Recorder's Video & Audio input

5. DigitalFTA's Digital Audio output >---(Digital Audio cable)----> AVReceiver's Digital Audio input

6. Recorder's Digital Audio output >---(Digital Audio cable)----> AVReceiver's Digital Audio input

7. Recorder's best matched Video & Audio output >---(cable)---> TV's best matched Video & Audio input

Antenna->(RF in)DigitalFTA(RF out)->(RF in)Recorder(RF out)->(RF in)TV

Optional(but recommended) (required to view DigitalFTA directly (not via Recorder))

DigitalFTA's best matched remaining Video output >---(Video & Audio cable)----> TV's best matched remaining Video & Audio input

etc

Note: The Antenna normally only has to go to devices that have FTA(Free to Air) tuners that you are using. So if your TV or DVD recorder don't have tuners or you don't ever use them they can be left out of the antenna daisy chain.

You would have to give model numbers or at least available input/outputs (not just hdmi as foxtel doesn't do hdmi currently) for each of your devices for anything more specific.

I've got a weird problem. I'm using a 420 STU. Have got the TV Scart connected to TV all working fine. Trying to get audio into a LG combined DVD player/surround receiver. I tried the 3.5mm to 3 RCA cable supplied, via that I only get left channel. No right channel and no surround. Via a second SCART to 6 RCA lead, plugged to the second SCART connector on the STU, I get nothing at all. Any ideas? Thanks,

David

I tried the 3.5mm to 3 RCA cable supplied

Huh, supplied by who? The digital output on the 420 is optical (not coaxial).

Cable like these http://www.selbyacoustics.com.au/storefron...amp;i=195815276 http://www.foxtel.com.au/accessories/4753.htm

See instructions here http://www.foxtel.com.au/accessories/data/prd5.pdf

via that I only get left channel. No right channel and no surround. Via a second SCART to 6 RCA lead, plugged to the second SCART connector on the STU, I get nothing at all.

Not sure why you only get left channel analog audio. But don't know what cable you are using (not the correct design anyway). Try a 3.5mm stereo to 2 RCA type cable for just analog audio.

As for the VCR scart output you sure you are using the audio out RCA's not the audio ins. I assume this is a Scart to VCR type cable.

Huh, supplied by who? The digital output on the 420 is optical (not coaxial).

As for the VCR scart output you sure you are using the audio out RCA's not the audio ins. I assume this is a Scart to VCR type cable.

I wasn't there when it was installed, but I assume it was the installer. It's a 3.5mm plug with 3 gold sections seperated by insulators. The manual said that port is either digital out or combined analog out. It ends up with a yellow(video I assume) RCA lead and the L and R RCA audio connectors. The L and R is what I plug into the surround unit.

Yep the VCR scart is definately using audio out. I tried the audio in's as well just in case. Thanks,

David

Yep the VCR scart is definately using audio out. I tried the audio in's as well just in case. Thanks,

Can only suggest try connecting the audio out's from your VCR scart to your TV to make sure it is not your amp which is the problem. Don't know what the installer was smoking with the 3.5mm cable supplied.

Can only suggest try connecting the audio out's from your VCR scart to your TV to make sure it is not your amp which is the problem. Don't know what the installer was smoking with the 3.5mm cable supplied.

Seemed to be no output on the VCR scart at all. I also tried swapping over the audio leads on the 3.5mm cable, and left switch to right as one would expect. So it seems the amp is fine, it's just only getting one channel of audio from the Foxtel box. Thanks,

David

Some great info in here, thanks all, but i have a couple of queries/points.

Got foxtel installed yesterday and i was really surprised at how crap the picture was (yep luckily i found your link cttc to the other thread where people were venting about the picture quality, so good to know i'm not alone). I got the scart to component but still found the quality pretty bad. I have an NEC 42' HD plasma and have been used to a HD STB and free-to-air where the pic is fantastic. Huge let-down to see the foxtel PQ but still, i need it to watch horse racing.

Couple of Q's.

1. In the system settings i did a signal test - i get full for signal quality but only 1 bar for signal strength, something like -12Db or whatever the acronmyn is. Is this a factor in the **** pic or am i just spoilt by my prev set-up and expectations too high?

2. I couldn't believe 7 this morning through foxtel was letterboxed. This was a shock. How/why is it not screened in widescreen like on FTA digital? To be honest it seems like foxtel digital is an extremely misleading title. Anyway i guess i can solve that by hooking back up my HD STB through DVI and watching FTA on that, still it would have been nice for ease of use not to bother.

3. I noticed through the threads on PQ how the bitrate was lower. I'm not that techhy when it comes to this but here's the query. The installation was done via my existing telstra bigpond cable. He put an adapter thing which meant the cable goes to my router and also to my foxtel. Does this mean my broadband is slowed? I mean, in theory isn't foxtel 'draining' some of the bandwidth? Maybe i'm wrong but my laptop seemed slower. Would love to know about this one.

Thanks in advance guys.

1. In the system settings i did a signal test - i get full for signal quality but only 1 bar for signal strength, something like -12Db or whatever the acronmyn is. Is this a factor in the **** pic or am i just spoilt by my prev set-up and expectations too high?

Not really a factor in picture "quality". Foxtel signal would drop out if too low. Digital FTA is just better and the bitrates on the horse racing channels are terrible from memory.

2. I couldn't believe 7 this morning through foxtel was letterboxed. This was a shock. How/why is it not screened in widescreen like on FTA digital? To be honest it seems like foxtel digital is an extremely misleading title. Anyway i guess i can solve that by hooking back up my HD STB through DVI and watching FTA on that, still it would have been nice for ease of use not to bother.

Seven is the analogue version (converted to digital) on Foxtel. Basically cause they hate each other.

3. I noticed through the threads on PQ how the bitrate was lower. I'm not that techhy when it comes to this but here's the query. The installation was done via my existing telstra bigpond cable. He put an adapter thing which meant the cable goes to my router and also to my foxtel. Does this mean my broadband is slowed? I mean, in theory isn't foxtel 'draining' some of the bandwidth? Maybe i'm wrong but my laptop seemed slower. Would love to know about this one.

No 'draining' they are on separate ranges.

I suggest you play with your TV settings as you might be able to make Foxtel look a bit better.

(I assume you set up (see instructions PDF in FAQ) the component correctly setting YUV and reseting or powering off the box at some stage).

Not really a factor in picture "quality". Foxtel signal would drop out if too low. Digital FTA is just better and the bitrates on the horse racing channels are terrible from memory.

Seven is the analogue version (converted to digital) on Foxtel. Basically cause they hate each other.

No 'draining' they are on separate ranges.

I suggest you play with your TV settings as you might be able to make Foxtel look a bit better. (I assume you set up (see instructions PDF in FAQ) the component correctly setting YUV and reseting or powering off the box at some stage).

Thanks for the quick reply cttc. Yeah TVN (horse racing channel) is def'ly pretty poor. The prices and names on screen are not 'clean' at all. Shame, but i can live with that as i'm an avid follower/punter.

Yeah i followed the instructions on set-up. Think i'm just spoiled with prev pic quality and it's a shock to regress to an inferior pic. For some reason i had this notion that pic quality would be better on Foxtel Digital than what i was getting on FTA, bit of a let down to find the opposite.

Yeah might have a play with tv settings but i'd done a bit of tweaking for FTA so wary of mixing it all up.

Cheers mate, you're doing a great job in this forum/thread. It's appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

I am getting foxtel installed tomorrow and I just have a few questions.

1. Are you able to record free to air channels?? (I believe I am getting satellite installed)

2. What is the easiest way of recording foxtel to computer as I want to archive some football (english premier league, aleague etc.) games i would be recording.

cheers,

ben

Hey Guys,

I am getting foxtel installed tomorrow and I just have a few questions.

1. Are you able to record free to air channels?? (I believe I am getting satellite installed)

2. What is the easiest way of recording foxtel to computer as I want to archive some football (english premier league, aleague etc.) games i would be recording.

cheers,

ben

Hi Ben,

1) It depends on your area. Where are you located?

2) I'd recommend a DVD recorder to archive footage, especially long sports games. That way you have the option of just building your archive using the discs, or rip them to your hard drive as needed. There is no way to actually transfer footage from a Foxtel box to your hard drive directly (using an iQ for example), it will always involve either a special video capturing card on your PC (either via USB or a card slot), or burning to disc then ripping.

Hope that helped!