Foxtel Owners & Discussion Thread

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stand by my advise, connect using YUV via the DB15 connector and your on your way. If you chose RGB you need a H&V sync seperator and achieve nothing.

This leaves your PC to feed the DVI input, and the Foxel box to feed YUV (Component) into the VGA connector. Dont go down the RGB over VGA line, it will not benifit you one dot.

Cyril

Thank you very much cyril

You are entitled to your opinion but for me and many others the foxtel PQ is apalling.

I have a HD 50" plasma and am a long time Foxtel subscriber. There were no problems when we had a CRT TV but we were forced to upgrade and from then it has been all downhill as far as PQ goes.

In have found an interim solution to the Foxtel PQ problem and I am deadly serious here. These days I need to wear glasses and when I watch Foxtel (like the Back Page & Inside Cricket last night) I leave my glasses off. That way I can tolerate what is a very poor PQ. It's either that or sit outside in the garden at least 12 metres from the TV.

Oldrocker - with Foxtel, are the FTA channels such as 7 just piped down the cable / satellite link in their original format or does Foxtel 'squish' them to a lower bitrate to fit in with the bitrates they use with their own programs, or do you have to use a non Foxtel STB to watch FTA?

BribieG;

We watch the FTA channels through a Topfield STB and mostly the PQ is good to very good depending on who and what you are watching.

To be fair to Foxtel their movie channels are ok. They only have to lift the PQ of Fox Sports 1,2 & 3 to match the movie channels and they would have a whole lot more satisfied subscribers.

Over time, as more subscribers upgrade to plasma or LCD TV sets I believe Foxtel will have to up the bit rate and therefore the PQ of most of their channels.

What is the use of having a nice modern TV showing a lousy picture? One soon tires of watching HD loops.

Tried to start a new topic for this one but no luck.

Correct me if I am wrong but Foxtel's current telecast of the ATP tennis masters in wide screen (WS) is a first for sport from the US by Foxtel !

The PQ was not the best (on my 127cm Pioneer) but it was watchable and it was WS !!! - I've waited years for this to happen - are things beginning to look up?

Anyone else noted this WS telecast?

Guest scythe

I'm not really savvy when it comes to TV technology but when I first got Foxtel on I was unhappy with the quality of the Super 14 games, particularly when they came from overseas. When I spoke to someone about it, they told me that it was about the quality of the source broadcast (i.e., he blamed the kiwis and the jarpies). I have been suffering silently since then. Is there any liklihood that that is true? If it's not (as would seem to be the case from this thread), I might put in a call to the foxtel customer advocate.

Hi

My foxtel keeps going to no signal or flickering on my TV AV input not on the foxtel signal. I've tried changing leads, swapping connections, tried a set top box through that av and it works fine. So i'm thinking the AV input has a problem.

It happens alot on sports replays on foxtel.

Any help would be appreciated

My foxtel keeps going to no signal or flickering on my TV AV input not on the foxtel signal.

Try with a different cable from a different Foxtel STB output (eg use the VCR scart composite output, or the RCA composite output if your box has one) to narrow the problem. It might just be your Scart cable so try the one plugged into your VCR scart if you have one. Which Foxtel box is it?

Try with a different cable from a different Foxtel STB output (eg use the VCR scart composite output, or the RCA composite output if your box has one) to narrow the problem. It might just be your Scart cable so try the one plugged into your VCR scart if you have one. Which Foxtel box is it?

I've tried the different outputs only thing I was going to try is scart out of foxtel box to component.

Not sure what box it is grey box with smart card on left hand side at front.

Thanks

Does anyone know or heard from foxtel when will they get rid of the Fox Sports channel's channel icon on the top right of the screen, to a translucent one. I think all of the otehr foxtel channel is translucent. I just got a pio 507 and I am just a bit concern about screen burn...maybe not relavent now with generation 7 plasmas but rather be safe then sorry?

I watch alot of football (soccer).

By the way, PQ is so crappy...

Pat

Does anyone know or heard from foxtel when will they get rid of the Fox Sports channel's channel icon on the top right of the screen, to a translucent one. I think all of the otehr foxtel channel is translucent. I just got a pio 507 and I am just a bit concern about screen burn...maybe not relavent now with generation 7 plasmas but rather be safe then sorry?

I watch alot of football (soccer).

By the way, PQ is so crappy...

Pat

Any burn on new HQ model Plasma will be temporary.....but don't leave it on for hrs and hrs without a break, otherwise you "might" create a temporary burn in.

Btw, your PQ can't be as bad as 40-42in LCD viewing low bitrate fox.

I'm waiting to see if poxtel actually implements any increased bandwidth once analog is switched off. It would be nice but I do not see it is a done deal.

You have to keep in mind for legacy compresssion codecs like mpeg2 at d1 resolution peak bitrates can hit 11mb/s.

This is why people who claim poxtel is dvd quality dont know what they are talking about.

I just returned from North America, Vancouver Canada actually, where almost everyone is on cable. They see many of the same channels as we do on Foxtel/Optus. But they get a great HD signal for shows/channels that offer it, and SD is better than what I see. And I can say that because I was looking at the very same model DTV there (an LG) as I own in Melbourne.

So the only reason I can see that we get such crap signal here is that Foxtel/Optus is just treating its customers with contempt and not investing to upgrade their service.

Why would anybody want to spend money to get Fox Sports to follow the footy when you can't see the ball, read the numbers on the guernseys or the score in the little box. Forget it.

one thing that i noticed

When I was watching Channel 9 sunday footy show on ch 90 HD through my Topfield DTV box, when they showed foxsports highlights footage of the saturday games the picture quality was 10 times better than watching the actual game through the Foxtel IQ box

Would ch 9 have access to less compressed footage from Foxtel? Or could it be a case of how its transmitted to our homes or maybe the Foxtel box produces a poorer image.

Because the source video of the foxsports game on Channel 9 footy show looked on par with channel 9s FTA quality

Looking for some feedback please as before I add to my TV collection with a Plasma or LCD I am trying to get a feel for the pq issues ppl are concerned about on Fox that i can relate to what I am seeing.

For example, I was watching NRL on Fox (the talk show with Laurie Daley et al) tonight on my Metz CRT and there is no way I could fault the picture in any way. I was wondering what ppl with Plasma/LCDs think of the pq of this show? Does it show the probs that are commonly complained of on the forum or is it one of the better Foxtel shows for pq??

How big is your CRT? Although I don't actually have FOXTEL (for PQ reasons) I have recently watched it on CRT televisions, and like you, reckon it looks pretty good on smaller tube televisions. Actually we're going on holiday next week to the Central Coast (NSW) and I'll be doing a lot of 'comparative' watching of FOXTEL and FTA as we are staying in some motels, and will report my findings!!! Even now it's probably most unlikely that motels would have LCDs or Plasmas in their units, so it should prove interesting.

The original point of the thread is that once you start watching FOXTEL on plasmas and larger LCD screens the PQ of the low bitrate channels really starts to kick in and become irritating, especially on the sports channels. Remember that when FOXTEL and of course OPTUS initiated their service, Plasmas and large screen LCDs were science fiction.

I'll be a little voice of dissent here.

I have been hooked up to Foxtel digital for years and agree that the pic quality has been very ordinary.

However, last week I moved house and have reconnected at my new house with Foxtel through Optus. The picture quality is MUCH MUCH better than before. Most channels are not far off the SD quality on free to air digital. Bear in mind I am watching on a 50 inch Pana plasma so all crappiness is usually very noticeable.

Is this an Optus thing? (i.e better signal strength than direct Foxtel).

Anyways, I'm happy with the improvement.

Interesting. I was on Optus Analogue via cable a few years ago and all channels were spot on. Maybe some technical person on the forum can suggest whether cable is inherently better than satellite when it comes to distributing digital? You'd think that a digital signal is a digital signal.

Interesting. I was on Optus Analogue via cable a few years ago and all channels were spot on. Maybe some technical person on the forum can suggest whether cable is inherently better than satellite when it comes to distributing digital? You'd think that a digital signal is a digital signal.

I have Foxtel IQ via cable and get the same crappy quality as friends who have satellite feed. The movie channels are OK (just) sometimes, as are the FBO movies, but the rest of the channels are very ordinary.

It is particularly noticeable when I flick between FTA SD digital broadcasts and FoxSports broadcasts of the same event. The FTA HD digital broadcasts are, of course, even better again. The FTA gap to Foxtel is getting wider daily, especially with Ch7 running 1080i at the moment. It simply means that I am watching less and less Foxtel.

:blink: cheers :D