Foxtel Owners & Discussion Thread

Guest danwhite
Someone bagging FOXTEL PQ AND THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE FOXTEL IN THEIR HOUSE !!!!!

99% of people are happy with FOXTEL PQ - only problem is a few pessimists and whingers who always seem to frequent places like anonymous forums. Maybe they just can't make friends due to their negativity so they "hang out " here ?

FOXTEL PQ is fine - just enjoy the programming (but of course you can't because you don't even have it !!!!)

just got foxtel a week ago on my 42" HD plasma and PQ on foxtel is complete crap compared to the PQ on the HD set top box.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a noobie to both digital tv and these forums, please excuse what is probably a silly question. I am upgrading to IQ this coming week, and would like to know if I start recording a show, halfway through can I start watching it, while the rest of the show is recording?

In Config A1 of the setup guide it says to use:

1. Foxtel's (tv)Scart output >---(Scart to Component & Audio cable)---> TV's Component & Audio inputs

Can anyone tell me where to buy one of these cables. I need one 10-12m long.

Scart to component is no problem but am having trouble finding one with audio included.

Cheers

1. Foxtel's (tv)Scart output >---(Scart to Component & Audio cable)---> TV's Component & Audio inputs

Can anyone tell me where to buy one of these cables. I need one 10-12m long.

Scart to component is no problem but am having trouble finding one with audio included.

Haven't seen one for sale that is longer than 3meters. I assume you know you are pushing it at those distances. You could:-

a. Use a Scart to RGB/Component adaptor (only seen them with no audio output sockets for some reason) then run male/plug RCA using high quality cables to male/plug RCA cable for the the whole run. Also using the 3.5mm or other(vcr scart) audio output to male/plug RCA cable for the whole run.

b. Use a Scart to Component & Audio cable then use high quality female/socket(or male to female adapter) RCA to male/plug RCA cables for the rest of the run.

c. Get a custom one made up.

d. Relocate the box closer to the primary display device.

EDIT: Found 10m one http://www.keene.co.uk/electronics/multi.php?mycode=SBB605 don't now what quality would be like though. Adaptor is probably the better choice though (in case not good quality and for future cable uses).

EDIT: Otherwise this might get the audio out before you used a Scart to RGB cable or adaptor http://www.keene.co.uk/electronics/multi.php?mycode=KA163 or something like this http://www.avico.com.au/products/products....12&qs4=5260

Haven't seen one for sale that is longer than 3meters. I assume you know you are pushing it at those distances. You could:-

a. Use a Scart to RGB/Component adaptor (only seen them with no audio output sockets for some reason) then run male/plug RCA using high quality cables to male/plug RCA cable for the the whole run. Also using the 3.5mm or other(vcr scart) audio output to male/plug RCA cable for the whole run.

b. Use a Scart to Component & Audio cable then use high quality female/socket(or male to female adapter) RCA to male/plug RCA cables for the rest of the run.

c. Get a custom one made up.

d. Relocate the box closer to the primary display device.

EDIT: Found 10m one http://www.keene.co.uk/electronics/multi.php?mycode=SBB605 don't now what quality would be like though. Adaptor is probably the better choice though (in case not good quality and for future cable uses).

EDIT: Otherwise this might get the audio out before you used a Scart to RGB cable or adaptor http://www.keene.co.uk/electronics/multi.php?mycode=KA163 or something like this http://www.avico.com.au/products/products....12&qs4=5260

Thanks for the reply cttc.

I will probably go with your option b above (except for the 'high quality' part). I'm trying to do it on the cheap so will try cables from Selby Accoustics. Can do it for around $130 with 15m leads. I figured I would use the highest quality method (component over s-video and copmposite) in the hope that the picture/sound would still be ok at the end of 15m. If it doesn't work will try the RF transmitter/receiver option.

Have you had experience with a long calble run like this? Excuse my ignorance but, is this a digital transmission (from fox stb to HD TV) and as such do I either get picture / no picture, or analogue whereby I get a lower quality picture&sound?

Thanks again.

If you can solder then a 15meter component cable should not set you back more than $40 (45meters RG59, 6x RCA plugs/sockets) and 15mins at the work bench.

You should see no picture/sound degredation with this length of cable.

Cyril

Have you had experience with a long calble run like this? Excuse my ignorance but, is this a digital transmission (from fox stb to HD TV) and as such do I either get picture / no picture, or analogue whereby I get a lower quality picture&sound?

I have seen people with component cable of 10m+. It is an analog output (all the current Foxtel STB video outputs are analog) so it should be a quality thing. The most common cheap/simple way to do a long run is a single RF (RG6) cable, but usually it is to a second smaller TV.

I have seen people with component cable of 10m+. It is an analog output (all the current Foxtel STB video outputs are analog) so it should be a quality thing. The most common cheap/simple way to do a long run is a single RF (RG6) cable, but usually it is to a second smaller TV.

I've got a crt tv and stb in lounge room with new LCD 15m away on patio. So would like best picture possible to LCD (at cheapest price) :blink:

Edited by D a n

very recently I got foxtel digital, I an trying to get foxtel video output as VGA (RGB) going to computer monitor. is this possible?

what is the RGB and YUV (Component) setting in video setup screen. currently I am using component (video setup is set to YUV) if I change that to RGB nothing come out, why is that?.

Anyhelp grately appriciated

Be aware that a sync seperator will allow you to convert a RGB SCART signal to VGA, however not all monitors will accept 15625/50i (ie normal 576i video) as an input, some will, most dont, especially LCD panels.

Cyril

Be aware that a sync seperator will allow you to convert a RGB SCART signal to VGA, however not all monitors will accept 15625/50i (ie normal 576i video) as an input, some will, most dont, especially LCD panels.

Cyril

what does this mean?, actually what I am trying to get this to Dell Projector.

I have home theatre environment given as follows,

Equipments are as follow

1. Computer with DVI and VGA outs (ATI 9250 256MB card) and DVICO Dual Digital Card

2. DELL 3300 Projector, accept one of VGA, DVI or Component inputs via DVI (M1-D (P&D)), hence only one input at a time.

3. Currently Computer is connected with DVI cable all works well up to the satisfaction.

I got foxtel digital (cable), now problem is getting foxel to projector while computer also use. Comport connecting to projector is must requirement. I can use computer VGA if foxtel box gives VGA.

I need to get some common output method

Which Dell PJ is it, the basic 1200 only supports Composite and S-video at 15625/25i, the 1800, 2400, 3400 accept either RGB or Component via the VGA port (DB15).

Assuming you have the 1800 or higher, I Personally would use Component via the VGA port, you will require a cable similar to here

Cyril

Which Dell PJ is it, the basic 1200 only supports Composite and S-video at 15625/25i, the 1800, 2400, 3400 accept either RGB or Component via the VGA port (DB15).

Assuming you have the 1800 or higher, I Personally would use Component via the VGA port, you will require a cable similar to here

Cyril

Its DELL 3300MP

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Dell-3300MP.htm

All thought it as all the connectivity types, Only one at a time accepted via (DVI M1-DA(P&D)) interface. My computer has DVI and VGA, Foxtel box as RGB and Component. That’s why I am thinking of if I can VGA out from the Foxtel box then no problem. I tried other way which is getting component from the computer, It didn’t work very well. Quality is very poor.

Any advice

I stand by my advise, connect using YUV via the DB15 connector and your on your way. If you chose RGB you need a H&V sync seperator and achieve nothing.

This leaves your PC to feed the DVI input, and the Foxel box to feed YUV (Component) into the VGA connector. Dont go down the RGB over VGA line, it will not benifit you one dot.

Cyril

Came across this today. It's Pace DSN250. Foxtel seem to have added this new STU to its satellite platform range. Not sure if there is an equivalent cable STU or not.

A few more pics here and here. And one last one for scale here.

As can be seen from the third picture main differences from the Pace 420 are that the modem has been removed, the optical out is now a regular Toslink plug instead of the combined 3.5mm optical/stereo plug and the discrete composite output has also been removed.

just got foxtel a week ago on my 42" HD plasma and PQ on foxtel is complete crap compared to the PQ on the HD set top box.

What you say is quite true, the original point of the thread was that the PQ on Foxtel's own Standard Definition 42 inch plasmas that they use in shopping centre displays is pretty crook. Watching it on an HD panel won't help and only serves to illustrate how bad the PQ is compared to FTA television. Even 7 looks not too bad on Standard definition FTA, if they are showing a good source.

It's all got to do with how much bandwidth that Telstra can give Foxtel. Once analogue cable is shut down and the new sattelite is up, then Foxtel will have the bandwidth to increase PQ. THEN we can **** and whine when they don't :blink:

Mind you, on my SD CRT, it's not a huge issue for me. But on my parent's plasma, then YES, it is an issue.

Does anybody know when the analogue network will be culled?

Guest Lui1503561143

I have a LG 42" Plasma with SD Panel for 2 weeks now and I can't understand all that fuzz about Foxtel PQ. I connected the Foxtel STB to the TV using Foxtel's Scart-Component cable and the I can't see much difference between FTD SD channels and Foxtel. I must admit that the 4:3 channels are quite frustating, Foxtel should have ALL channels in 16:9 :blink:

Am I alone here???

Cheers,

Lui