Foxtel Owners & Discussion Thread

The movie channels are ok and that's great.

However even sports like rugby league, cricket and rugby union on Fox Sports leave a lot to be desired as far as PQ goes.

I pay over $100 a month and I expect a PQ equal to the FTA transmissions which are recieved free of charge.

Don't start about advertising either because there is plenty of that creeping into pay TV.

All I want is sports channels with PQ the same as the movie channels. It's not a big ask is it?

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey easy with the "senior", I don't qualify for a card just yet!

Most likely configuration for two Recorders is coaxial cables (flyleads) doing this (a daisy chain):-

Antenna->(RF in)PhillipsVCR(RF out)->(RF in)AkaiVCR(RF out)->(RF in)TV

That will allow you to record (analogue) FreeToAir(FTA) channels on the VCR's.

Since you appear to be using composite to record Foxtel on the VCRs (AV1 input or whatever) you don't need to put the antenna signal through the Foxtel STB (I assume you are also using the tv scart output to view Foxtel directly on your TV).

My apologies - I was not inferring that YOU were a senior but your knowledge in this area was of a senior level :blink:

I tried what you suggested and got great FTA reception etc on my Phillips VCR (and the TV)- however still cannot see anything via the Akai .

Does the yellow red white double-ended cable going from the set top box to the Akai (Video out to video in) affect this?

Regards LP

Does the yellow red white double-ended cable going from the set top box to the Akai (Video out to video in) affect this?

No it shouldn't.

Well it should work so not sure why the Akai doesn't show/record (analogue)FTA channels well, especially if something after it in the chain (ie TV) does.

How are you viewing what is on the akai? (Using video out on the akai to a video in on TV OR have tuned a channel on the TV to the the RF output channel of the akai?)(I assume you can view tapes from the akai with no problems)

Maybe try retuning the FTA stations on the Akai or putting it before the Phillips in the chain.

No apology needed I should have put a smile after my comment!

No it shouldn't.

Well it should work so not sure why the Akai doesn't show/record (analogue)FTA channels well, especially if something after it in the chain (ie TV) does.

How are you viewing what is on the akai? (Using video out on the akai to a video in on TV OR have tuned a channel on the TV to the the RF output channel of the akai?)(I assume you can view tapes from the akai with no problems)

Maybe try retuning the FTA stations on the Akai or putting it before the Phillips in the chain.

No apology needed I should have put a smile after my comment!

I've tried looking for the Akai signature screen on all my TV channels but can't see it - when I had it all connected up with the previous analogue Foxtel box it was channel 1 but there's nothing there now. I can pick up the Phillips on channel 14 on my TV but not the Akai. I tried putting the Akai before the Phillips and still can't see anything. Will try the TV tuning idea.

Thanks

Sounds like your TV channel 1 has been retuned to something other than the Akai then (maybe to the Foxtel UHF output channel when it was installed) OR they changed the RF output channel on the akai because it was the same as Foxtel STB (normally UHF 41).

Do a manual retune on channel 1 on your TV (probably in the UHF band as most VCRs output), until you find the Akai (which of course must be on and displaying something you will recognize).

OR if your TV has a unused AV input (yellow composite video plus one or two audio RCA sockets) you can use, connect it to the AV out (yellow composite video plus one or two audio RCA sockets) on the akai (and change the TV channel/source/input to that AV input).

I lodged a complaint via email with Foxtel last week based on FTA versus Foxtel picture and audio quality. I received a phone call yesterday from Foxtel regarding my email. Had a good chat to the guy, played low tech (easy for me) and just stuck to the simple line, “Free To Air looks and sounds better than Foxtel, that I pay for”. He told me about HD next year, only 2 channels, new STB required etc. He offered to have a tech look at my installation, which I declined. He suggested that the 2 HD channels would be 1 movie and 1 general (like Fox 8).

I left him with my comments;

1. That 2 channels seemed like a waste of a new STB, that they undoubtedly would charge me $lots for.

2. It had better be 1 movie channel and 1 sports channel, like most people with Foxtel, that’s mostly why I have it.

3. I was not happy waiting for a year for HD, especially when I have FTA HD right now

4. That I would be watching less Foxtel and more FTA due to their superior picture and sound.

5. There are plenty enough channels now for me, I would just like Foxtel, that I pay for, to look and sounds as good as FTA, that I don’t pay for.

6. That, if all they offered after a 1 year wait was 2 channels (Movie/General), then I would be reviewing my subscription.

7. To please pass this on his supervisor

He was very courteous at all times and didn’t talk down at all, seemed genuinely interested in my comments and promised to pass on my comments. I strongly suggest that any one else who has similar concerns do the same. The more people who comment the more chance we have of getting what we want.

:blink: cheers :D

With all the debate on PQ here is a test for both your eyes and your TV.

Date: Sunday 4th Feb

Where: ABC TV

When: 7:30pm

What: Planet Earth

The last series looked breath-taking and the same is expected this time.

This is the PQ we should be demanding in the 21st century.

Do not watch it through Foxtel but rather your FTA STU.

Can I please get on board with a new question?

I have a standard Foxtel Digital Satellite Box and a standard VCR connected to my TEAC CRT 68cm TV. Foxtel connected the box with SCART to Composite as standard.

Reading this thread I've just tried to replicate Configuration C1 from the 1st post. I went to The Good Guys and got a SCART to S-Video & 2 RCA lead ($50) and have used it to replace the SCART to Composite lead that ran from the Foxtel box to the TV. I used the Foxtel installation guide for it and changed the video output to S-Video.

Now Foxtel still works fine but the picture through the video has gone to black and white. Playing back a video also appears as black and white. The VCR is an NEC NDT-42.

I've obviously stuffed something up. Can someone please tell me what?

I have taken photos of the rear of the Foxtel Box and VCR, and the rear of the TV, but I can't see how to attach them to this post.

Now Foxtel still works fine but the picture through the video has gone to black and white. Playing back a video also appears as black and white. The VCR is an NEC NDT-42.

The problems:-

1. When you select the standard STB (pace 420) to output S-Video it will output S-Video out both scarts (hence the black and white you are getting on your VCR which is using one of the scarts but trying to get composite (Composite and S-Video share pins on a scart)).

2. AV button on the Foxtel remote it sounds like you are using to view the VCR, needs the Foxtel STB to input/output the same format (it doesn't do conversions) so in your case for it to work the Foxtel STB setting would need to be PAL (composite) as your VCR is giving it that.

The solutions:-

1. Use the separate composite video output (the yellow RCA socket on the Foxtel STB) instead of the scart output for your VCR video input connection if you select S-Video as Foxtel scart setting. (OR use Foxtels RF output (normally channel UHF 41) if you are happy recording that).

2. Connect a separate AV cable from your VCR directly to your TV to view your VCR from now on (OR use VCRs RF output channel if you are happy viewing it that way).

See Config C1r2 which I have added to make it clearer.

I assume your TV doesn't do component as that would be better (the Foxtel remote AV button still wouldn't work though (it won't convert the composite VCR output into the Foxtel component output) so you still need a direct connection from the VCR to TV).

I think there's been too many cooks spoiling the broth over a number of years to have so many different connections around making things so complicated.

Yes S-Video was an addition to the original scart standard so it is a bit of a mess!

Sorry that you have to spoon feed me but, in the instructions numbered 1-4 in C1r2;

1. Understood

2. I take a single RCA to single RCA cable and connect it from the yellow "Video Out" socket on the back of the Foxtel box into the "VCR IN AV1 Video" yellow socket on the back of the VCR? To do this I obviously need to remove the current plug that's in that socket which is part of the current cabling which comes from the Foxtel VCR SCART?

3. Leave the existing "Audio In" plugs in the back of the VCR that are coming from the Foxtel VCR SCART?

4. Remove the Composite connectors coming from the Foxtel VCR SCART that are currently connected into the 3 RCA "DVD/VCR OUT" Video/Audio terminals, and replace it with a 3 x RCA cable going to the TV..............only remaining available input on rear of TV is yellow AV1 "Video In" RCA. (The AV1 Audio L&R in sockets are being used by the 2 RCA's that go along with the S-Video connector that come from the Foxtel TV SCART.

The AV2 connections on the TV are used by a 2nd VCR.

I gather I'm stymied then?

2. Yes

3. Yes. (or the other option (the 3.5mm audio output))

4. Yes but sounds like your out of inputs on the TV (assuming no side or front inputs).

Stymied from that method yes.

If the improvement in picture from Composite to S-Video on the TV are worth it some other solutions:-

Use RF (coaxial) output on second VCR (and tune a TV channel to its output channel). Frees up the AV2 input on TV.

OR Use RF (coaxial) output on first VCR (and tune a TV channel to its output channel) for first VCR. No need for another AV cable from that VCR to TV anymore.

OR Connect (adaptor probably) both S-Video and Composite from the tv scart and change menu setting every time you want to view VCR.

OR Get an iQ which has a separate S-Video output socket which avoids all these problems.

OR Get a video switchbox to change inputs

OR Get a TV with component input (and at least two composite inputs)

OR Get a Recorder with S-Video input (still have problem with TV's lack of inputs though if it is not left on to view Foxtel)

Thanks again.

I note that the Foxtel box does have an S-Video Output on it.

I can see why Foxtel set it up the way they did. Apart from probably being the cheapest way for them, it actually makes everything work without having to jump through all these additional hoops.

Looking at the Foxtel picture through the S-Video connection didn't seem to me to be noticeably better than the existing composite set up. So I think I'll use the K.I.S.S. principle and revert to the original composite set up and get my $50 back from the Good Guys.

Cheers.

with all the debate on PQ here is a test for both your eyes and your tv

Hey old rocker,

Another example today is the superbowl coverage.

On FTA it is being shown on SBS and I am watching the sd feed on my stb for the fairest comparison.

(sbs is regarded to be at the lower/lowest end of the scale as far as a sd picture goes)

It is being broadcast simultaneously on Foxsports 1.

Switching sources on my tv allows me to flick back and forth to make direct comparing of the two.

The sbs picture is dramatically better in all regards than foxsports.

The digital retransmission of the program on sbs 104 on foxtel is better than foxsports :P:P:P

Though still far worse than the fta sbs picture(though having said that is there any valid reason why that should be th case??)

I pay for and expect my digital foxtel picture to be at least as good as what I get from a low end sd fta picture. :blink::D:P

This is NOT whingeing as some posters will undoubtedly dredge up.

This is the standard that should be met by a company charging what they charge and who make the claims that they do in their advertising.

I am sick of people defending the indefensible.

Ols

Do not watch it through Foxtel but rather your FTA STU.

If you have the choice this must surely be your best option every time

QUOTE(oldrocker @ Feb 3 2007, 10:21 AM)

Hey old rocker,

Another example today is the superbowl coverage.

On FTA it is being shown on SBS and I am watching the sd feed on my stb for the fairest comparison.

(sbs is regarded to be at the lower/lowest end of the scale as far as a sd picture goes)

It is being broadcast simultaneously on Foxsports 1.

Switching sources on my tv allows me to flick back and forth to make direct comparing of the two.

The sbs picture is dramatically better in all regards than foxsports.

The digital retransmission of the program on sbs 104 on foxtel is better than foxsports

Though still far worse than the fta sbs picture(though having said that is there any valid reason why that should be th case??)

I pay for and expect my digital foxtel picture to be at least as good as what I get from a low end sd fta picture.

This is NOT whingeing as some posters will undoubtedly dredge up.

This is the standard that should be met by a company charging what they charge and who make the claims that they do in their advertising.

I am sick of people defending the indefensible.

Ols

Stop Whingeing :blink:

Your post is fine until you state "I pay for and expect my digital foxtel picture to be at least as good as what I get from a low end sd fta picture"

Where oh where did you dream this one up ??? FOXTEL Digital is far better than the old analogue service and is more than good enough for 99.99% of users.

FOXTEL is about content not stupid HD rubbish.

I think you're just living in your own little "HD PQ" world.

Stop Whingeing :blink:

Your post is fine until you state "I pay for and expect my digital foxtel picture to be at least as good as what I get from a low end sd fta picture"

Where oh where did you dream this one up ??? FOXTEL Digital is far better than the old analogue service and is more than good enough for 99.99% of users.

FOXTEL is about content not stupid HD rubbish.

I think you're just living in your own little "HD PQ" world.

Doug,Doug,Doug

Read the post again. :D:P:P

I,m not talking about hd.

I am talking about sd digital fta tv.

Foxtel is digital.Why can't it be the same quality?

I have a run of the mill $2k samsung lcd.

And there are thousands more of us now as the prices on the tv's drop.

No high end stuff here mate.

For those of us on satellite we have always had a digital picture (I,m a six yr customer) so I can't comment on the diff to analogue.

As for the the "old" content urban myth.

Yes we all love the variety of programming that foxtel provide but due to the high number of repeats,cross pollinating of programs that can appear on different channels and the +2's we could have 70 channels with better picture quality than the current 110 without any loss of content.

Doug,please hurry up and buy your new 50" television before you come back into this thread and accuse everybody of being a bunch of whingers.

Perhaps then you will understand what we are talking about.

Ols

For the rest of you I have just been having a good chat to a foxtel techie who was sympathetic to my situation.(Funny,he didn't think I was a whinger and has been fielding a lot of calls lately)

After running through the details of my setup sheepishly suggested that it couldn't be set up any better and that unfortunately this is as good a picture as I can get at the moment.

He mentioned bandwidth restrictions though again sheepishly said that the analogue switch off will do nothing to improve picture quality despite the extra bandwidth that is becoming available.

His personal opinion was that we should not be charged to switch to the new box that will be required for the hd channels hopefully out at the end of the year though obviously there will be a charge for the hd content.

He believed that the new set top box required for hd would have a flow on effect to improve the picture on the rest of the channels.

Let's keep our fingers crossed

Ols