Foxtel Owners & Discussion Thread

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had Foxtel for the last 6 years running on a 68cm CRT and the PQ was fine.

In the last 3 weeks I bought a 81cm LCD, bought all quality cables and DVD looks great on it,

as a compuer monitor it looks great and with SD set top box is great...

But Foxtel PQ is just crap!

Sorry but Foxtel PQ CANNOT compare to other input mediums.

(DVD & SD quality --- yeah right!)

I disagree with posters saying Foxtel should concentrate on content rather than PQ, there is

more than enough channels to choose from now and should start to concentrate on

improving picture quality. More and more people are are buying large, non CRT displays

so they can improve the quality of thier viewing experience, so should Foxtel keep up.

Guest tanktrax
snip...

I disagree with posters saying Foxtel should concentrate on content rather than PQ, there is

more than enough channels to choose from now and should start to concentrate on

improving picture quality. More and more people are are buying large, non CRT displays

so they can improve the quality of thier viewing experience, so should Foxtel keep up.

100% agree with you on that. Trouble is, the way Foxtel will improve PQ is by offering "High Def" versions of the same channels at an extra cost - Like Sky UK does - AFAIK. Worse still, is that people will fall for that crap and pay extra :blink: rather than saying enough is enough - I don't see why I should pay extra for the same CONTENT!

I have had Foxtel for the last 6 years running on a 68cm CRT and the PQ was fine.

In the last 3 weeks I bought a 81cm LCD, bought all quality cables and DVD looks great on it,

as a compuer monitor it looks great and with SD set top box is great...

But Foxtel PQ is just crap!

Sorry but Foxtel PQ CANNOT compare to other input mediums.

(DVD & SD quality --- yeah right!)

What cable are using for your Fox-LCD, ie, is it a scart-component?

I have Foxtel digital cable{which I consider to be superor to Fox sat}....and IMO, the PQ over composite is close to DVD quality on my medium sized CRT.

IMO, Foxtel digital[cable] hooked up with component cabling to a 51-66cm CRT will be fine for most people.

I like Foxtel because of the content, I'm not suggesting they shouldn't improve PQ....but being that one can buy a 66cm WS CRT for $450, you'd be a goose to not get it.

If the appalling* and mind numbingly boring garbage on FTA is your cup of tea, then you could always buy yourself a HD plasma/LCD and plug the unused antenna into it and fall to sleep in front of all that glorious PQ.

*with the exception of Alias, LOL.

I have Foxtel digital cable{which I consider to be superor to Fox sat}....and IMO, the PQ over composite is close to DVD quality on my medium sized CRT.

.. and there-in lies the problem with people making off the top of their head comparisons. They are the same. Any perceived superiority is just that - your perception, not reality. :blink:

As for that DVD quality comment, each to his own, but I think its time to throw out your medium sized CRT... there's something wrong with it! (unless you are also hooking the DVD player up via composite, in which case ?!!!.)

Its a crap DVD indeed that doesn't far exceed the capabilities of composite.

EDIT.

My DVD playback is via my PC over my VGA cable-CRT monitor.

I'm not against everything moving to HD, but I'm also going to point out that Foxtel digital{cable} is good value on a CRT, even with a composite connection.

Also, how does one record and archive a HD broadcast without spending a small fortune?

Translates as I have Austar via sat, which is the same streams as Foxtel via sat.

Got ya!!!

Sat is much grainier compared to Cable.

If sat is your only choice, then by all means get it, it's still miles ahead of FTA content.

Got ya!!!

Sat is much grainier compared to Cable.

I can see its time for ye olde frame by frame comparison posting to happen.

I'll arrange for a few frames from say FOX8 from cable (will take a bit as I have to call someone and get them to FTP it up to me) and post the same frames from sat. The challenge will be for you to tell which is which.. ok? :D

My DVD playback is via my PC over my VGA cable-CRT monitor.

I'm not against everything moving to HD, but I'm also going to point out that Foxtel digital{cable} is good value on a CRT, even with a composite connection.

Blimey. If you can't see a large difference in quality between Foxtel via composite and DVD via a VGA cable, then I guess me posting frames as I mentioned is pretty pointless!

OK... here are two frames from FOX8. These frames were derived directly from the MPEG2 video. No analogue capture was involved ( :blink: Hosko). Both were extracted from the video using virtualdubmod and saved as .bmp. The .bmp was then converted to .png using polyview.

Frame 1

Frame 2

Which is which?

What cable are using for your Fox-LCD, ie, is it a scart-component?

I have Foxtel digital and SCART to SCART cable with gold plated pins, as my LCD has SCART inputs.

I also agree that on a small CRT Foxtel is quite acceptable. Although having magnificent TV reception

in my place, when I moved to digital I was quite disappointed that the digital signal was worse than

the Foxtel analog and FTA stations.

I have Foxtel digital and SCART to SCART cable with gold plated pins, as my LCD has SCART inputs.

I also agree that on a small CRT Foxtel is quite acceptable. Although having magnificent TV reception

in my place, when I moved to digital I was quite disappointed that the digital signal was worse than

the Foxtel analog and FTA stations.

Fair enough.

I should note that I'm not advocating people buy Plasma's or Large LCD's expecting awesome PQ from fox.

I'm about to buy a new FS/WS CRT for my DVD playback and Foxtel.

On the rare occasion that I watch HD FTA, it's via my CRT PC monitor....but I'll be buying a new PC monitor later on as well.....somewhere between 22 and 32inch, depending on what I can learn about the advantages/disadvantages of each.

Sure you don't want to change your opinion? Frame 2 is definitely better quality?

On closer inspection they look nearly the same to me.

Anyway, my judgement regarding sat vs cable is based on my cable set up vs a sat set up at Tilley Rd Chandler{east side of Brisbane}

I'll post a few more pics later on if anyone is interested. The point of posting these frames, that were directly extracted from the MPEG2 video, is to demonstrate that there doesn't appear to be any real difference between sat and cable services.

From PanaSung's comments the difference should leap out and poke you in the eye. You shouldn't have to go crawling over the frames with a microscope to notice any difference.

From PanaSung's comments the difference should leap out and poke you in the eye. You shouldn't have to go crawling over the frames with a microscope to notice any difference.

I suspect that cable is the superior tech, and that sat can suffer from interference.....but, this is irrelevant, because if one wants a greater choice of programing, and Fox sat is all that's available, then Fox sat is the best they can get.

Hi there,

I just had Foxtel Digital Cable installed today, and i've ended up with a UEC DCN-1000 Box, is it worthwhile me requesting the Pace 420 Box? They also only left me SCART to Composite cables, would they usually leave SCART to Component? I've got a Sony 40" LCD and Yamaha RX-V1700 and will look to recording to a HTPC at some stage.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Nathan.