Foxtel Owners & Discussion Thread

"I mentioned this to one of the sales staff, and he said that their growth market is the lower end of the socio-economic scale who will be watching on old CRT sets, and to this market the SD plasmas used in the sales displays actually look groovy compared to what they are watching now..."

Michael I got this nonsense from Foxtel too..but if they don't look after their "hi net worth customers"as well, they'll lose the game. Afterall these guys are the ones spending the big dolllars with multi packages and multirooms. Have they done their Market research? How many families DON'T have at least one plasma or LCD in the hosuse now? Anybody know?

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Michael I got this nonsense from Foxtel too..but if they don't look after their "hi net worth customers"as well, they'll lose the game. "

Err, against what competition? Wake up, they won't lose anything.

"How many families DON'T have at least one plasma or LCD in the hosuse now? Anybody know?"

Er, the majority?

• 3 weeks later...

Revision Nov 11. Recent Changes: Prices/links

Best to POST your own thread if you have a question. See here if you can't post a new thread.

See other FAQ's for more info eg Home Theatre FAQs, FAQs On Connections, STBs, PVRs, DVRs etc and Connection for Dummies.

All info is provided as is, USE COMPLETELY AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Thanks to those who have provided info. Notes: I normally just refer to Television/Monitor/Projector's as TV, and DVR(DVD Recorder)/VCR's as Recorder. Some sections assume you don't have the old/crappy UEC 700/720 STB. STB(Set Top Box)=STU(Set Top Unit). Composite video=is often just called video in manuals. 460iQ is the older iQ, 480iQ is the newer one. 850iQHD is the older iQHD, 851iQHD is the newer one without Scart & S-Video outputs. iQ2=iQHD.

Index

General Questions

Recording Questions

iQ Questions

iQ/iQHD(iQ2) Questions

iQHD(iQ2) and HD(High Definition) Questions

Connection Configurations Display only

Connection Configurations with Recording

Connection Configurations with Many Devices

Cables/Adaptors & instructions
(Descriptions, links, etc)

Troubleshooting

Set Top Boxes
(Manuals, specifications, connections, links, etc)

Links

General Questions

What is the best way to Connect Foxtel to my TV ?

Foxtel normally provided
video connections at installation but now with 480iQ and iQHD HDMI or the next best is the norm. Generally the bigger the display the more noticeable the quality of the video connection is. If your TV supports better connections, go to the "Connection Configurations" section of this FAQ and pick one appropriate to your setup. Most (fussy) people on here with large displays would go for Configuration H1(
(480iQ/iQHD only))/C1(
)/B1(RGB(
))/S1(
). Currently
/RGB(
) is the best quality that is output from the set top boxes (excluding the 480iQ/iQHD which have
). See the cables section below for links and instructions.

(Video quality usually goes like this HIGHEST (
/DVI) ->
->
->
-> RF LOWEST)

I just have the installed standard (Composite) video connection to my TV is it worth upgrading to a better one (S-Video/Component) ?

It depends on your eyes, the distance you sit from your TV and how big your TV is. If you have a large screen TV then I would make sure I had one of the better video output methods.

Why is Foxtel's Digital picture quality often worse than Digital FTA(Free to Air)'s ?

It generally comes down to the fact that Foxtel is only SD(standard definition) and uses a lower
for each channel. It varies between channels (eg Showtime being a higher bitrate channel). The HD(High Definition) channels (requiring iQHD) are using higher bitrates and better compression and are at least as good as Digital FTA.

Does Foxtel have digital Audio output ?

Yes the standard (pace 420) digital set top box has 3.5 mm combined digital optical and analogue audio connector. The 460iQ/480iQ/iQHD have optical(
) & coaxial digital audio output. The Pace 250 has optical(
) audio out.
-
. The UEC 1000 has a RCA socket for Coaxial Digital Output. Only some shows (try Showtime,
) are in DD 5.1. See the "Set Top Boxes" section below for more info.

I just bought a 16:9 (widescreen) TV what are the correct Foxtel STB(Set Top Box) aspect settings ?

Normally for a widescreen TV, have Foxtel STB Aspect ratio control=By STU (and TV Type=16:9), then select your personal preference for how 4:3 programs are displayed (pillar box or stretch or 14:9).

Only if using a fully wired
to
cable to connect your TV and your TV has an auto aspect mode would you normally consider picking Aspect ratio control=By TV.

How much does Foxtel cost ?

For detailed pricing see
from
. Or for general pricing go to their

Does Foxtel show the Digital FTA(Free to Air) channels ?

It depends on where you are located and how you get Foxtel (Cable or Satellite). For various reasons (cost/satellite space/state editions/etc) many are not carried on the satellite.

Cable Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane/Adelaide/Perth
ABC1(102), ABC2(126), ABC3(723), Seven(107), 7TWO(127), Nine(100), GO!(129), TEN(110), ELEVEN(131), SBS One(104), SBS Two(179)

(if iQHD also ABC News 24(202), 7mate(207), GEM(209), ONE HD(210), SBS HD(228)).

Satellite Melbourne/Sydney/Brisbane

ABC1(102), ABC2(126), ABC3(723), Seven(107), 7TWO(127), Nine(100), GO!(129), TEN(110), ELEVEN(131), SBS One(104), SBS Two(179). (if iQHD also ABC News 24(202))

Satellite Adelaide/Perth/WA/Canberra

ABC1(102), ABC2(126), ABC3(723), SBS One(104), SBS Two(179). (if iQHD also ABC News 24(202))

Satellite - currently no FTA HD channels except for ABC News 24, no ONE HD anywhere.

Which STB(Set Top Box) do I have ? How do I reboot it?

See
and
and
troubleshooting/rebooting pages.

I am building/renovating what about Pre-Wiring ?

Better to put in conduit now (or at least run run RG6 and Cat5) than have problems later! See

Can I install Foxtel by myself ?

If you have all the needed infrastructure already at your home you might be able to. Foxtel can sometimes provide a Self Install Kit.

Can I buy my own set top box and use that for Foxtel ?

Foxtel uses an encryption method called NDS
stopping the use of most third party boxes. There is no guarantee that the few that do work (through soft/emulated
) will continue to in the future, or work with all types/versions of smartcards.
*Check your Foxtel terms.

What is the connection to the phone line for ?

Ordering
(
/
) programs and interactive (voting etc) stuff. Many people leave it disconnected. It is not needed for
(at the time of writing this, it is only needed for iQHD
HD ordering, not for others (which can be ordered by ringing or online))

I want to watch Foxtel in another room ?

If you have an 460iQ (not 480iQ) consider an
(no ongoing fees). Foxtel's normal
involves additional Set Top Box's (ongoing fees). Another option is a wireless AV Sender from your existing setup. Foxtel set top boxes output the video and audio out various connections at the same time so there are many other options.
*Check your Foxtel terms.

What is the iQ Multiroom remote kit ?

(Note Foxtel are now calling having an additional STB(Set Top Box) in another room,
, so it is confusing).

The Foxtel
(not for the 480iQ) is a product for viewing/controlling Foxtel at location in your house away from where your Foxtel set top box is located. Not as good as having a second box (because it just shows what is on your main Foxtel box) but it doesn't have ongoing fees.

It consists of a remote and remote sensor package you buy that can be used to control Foxtel in another room. You connect your own coaxial cable (RG-6 normally) to the RF output on your existing Foxtel set top box and run it to the other location. At this other location your cable then plugs into the Multiroom remote sensor which connects to your other TV's RF input. Check that your STB will output the power required by the remote sensor (iQ RF2) and if you get no red light check in the menu that power setting is on.

-

Why does the AV button on the Foxtel remote give me a blank screen instead of my (VCR/DVD) recorder ?

The AV button provides a loop-through of the Foxtel STB (vcr)
input pins to the Foxtel STB (tv)
output pins. No video signal conversion takes place, so if you have your recorder supplying composite video and your Foxtel STB set to output something else it won't be converted to
or
, hence incorrect or no display.

Recording Questions

What is the best way to Connect Foxtel to my Recorder and my TV ?

Go to the "Connection Configurations with Recording" section of this FAQ and pick one appropriate to your setup.

Can I record one channel while watching another ?

You cannot watch one Foxtel channel while recording another Foxtel channel with a single standard Foxtel set top box.

If you are recording Foxtel with an external Recorder you cannot watch another Foxtel channel with a single Foxtel set top box (including iQ/iQHD).

You can watch one Foxtel channel while recording another Foxtel channel (to internal iQ/iQHD HDD) with a Foxtel iQ/iQHD.

Most people can watch a FTA(Free to Air) channel while recording a Foxtel channel as their TV/other has a FTA tuner & antenna connected.

Most people can watch a Foxtel channel while recording a FTA(Free to Air) channel as their Recorder/other has a FTA tuner & antenna connected.

So (to watch one Foxtel channel and record another Foxtel channel) either get two two Foxtel set top boxes (extra ongoing fees) OR get any iQ/iQHD (fees involved) and use its internal HDD for recording.

How do I do timer recordings with an external recorder ?

The standard Foxtel set top box has a feature called AutoTune. You can select a program from the Digital Guide and mark it as AutoTune which means the box will automatically change channels during the programs time period. See your manual for more info (
). If you only want to record one channel you can of course just leave Foxtel on the channel.

Then normally you must set up a timer for the program in your Recorder as well.

For timer recordings, do I have to program my external recorders timers as well as use AutoTune ?

Some recorders have a feature (called Ext-Link, Syncro Rec, auto-record or similar) that will either use a special signal on a pin(8) on the video
connector OR use the detection of a video signal to trigger recording. So when your Foxtel box Autotunes the recorder starts recording and at the end it stops. This will normally require a fully wired
to
cable, see your recorders manual for more info.

Otherwise you normally set up a timer for the program in your Recorder as well.

Are Foxtel Channels copy protected ?

Some channels such as
/
may be copy protected (
), so external recording may fail. Some (rare) recorders can ignore macrovision (some have secret special code sequence that will enable this) or you can buy a
type device to remove the macrovision.

Can I record Foxtel Digital to my VCR ?

Yes. Don't worry about it being "Digital", it still has the normal analogue outputs that a normal VCR or DVD Recorder can use. Note some channels such as
/
may be copy protected (
), so external recording may fail.

Can I record Foxtel to my Digital PVR ?

No (normally). Most Digital PVR's (not including DVD recorders), such as Topfield 7100PVRt/7160 and TiVo HD have no video inputs for recording from external devices (some exceptions are Topfield 2400/2460, Strong 5495a,
DP-P2, or the S1/P1 with a
addon).

Can I record Foxtel to my Computer ?

Yes if you have appropriate video/audio inputs on your computer. Use an analogue video(component/s-video,composite)/audio input to capture and record from the Foxtel set top box outputs (see the Configurations section below and equate your computer with Recorder references).

You cannot buy a standard off the shelf Foxtel Digital tuner card (like you can with Digital Free To Air and some satellite services) because Foxtel don't authorize any and they use NDS
encryption (if you do find a soft/emulated
that works there is no guarantee it will continue to in the future).

iQ Questions

What is the 460iQ (original iQ) ?

A more advanced Foxtel STB(Set Top Box)/PVR(Personal Video Recorder) that has two tuners and a 160GB HDD (~60 hours available for user recording)(probably 35% reserved by Foxtel) allowing recording of shows (when enabled). Record two channels at the same time (to internal HDD). Timeshifting (start watching before a recording is finished).
(program to record via Foxtel Website).
(selected shows autodownloaded to your HDD). Extra video connections(independent
). No PIP(Picture in Picture). Closed captions recording apparently now working (but not 100% often requiring reboot). See
and also
for more details.

What is the 480iQ (iQ 1.5)(newer iQ) ?

Like the original iQ with HDMI output and ethernet port added, but does not have RF outputs or the separate S-Video and Composite outputs. See the "Set Top Boxes" section below for more info.

How do I get Foxtel iQ to change channels for timer recordings to an external Recorder ?

Since the iQ records programs internally it doesn't seem to have the AutoTune feature. One trick that can be used is to program the iQ to record a channel starting before your programs begin and finishing after your last one begins. The iQ first starts recording this dummy channel, using its background tuner. You also set your shows to record internally. Then when your program starts recording it will be forced to use the output video tuner.

How do I reboot or force a firmware update on the Foxtel 460iQ/480iQ set top box ?

See
. Also see the 460iQ/480iQ information in "Set Top Boxes" section.

iQ/iQHD(iQ2) Questions

Can I record From a Digital FTA(Free To Air) set top box To the Foxtel iQ/iQHD ?

No. The iQ/iQHD do not record from external devices, they only record Foxtel Digital channels (which includes any retransmission of FTA channels you get through Foxtel).

Can I record from the Foxtel iQ/iQHD ?

Yes. Recording to external Recorder ties up your iQ/iQHD display though (it will be only outputing/displaying what your recording on external device (you can't watch another Foxtel channel)). You should be able to queue up a heap of shows you have on your iQ/iQHD HDD for output to an external Recorder (so you can start it before you go out/bed), see the "Using a Playlist" section of your
/
/
manual (PDF). Note some channels such as
/
may be copy protected (

Can I transfer files to/from Foxtel iQ/iQHD ?

No the USB/Ethernet(480iQ/iQHD) port cannot currently be used to transfer files (for viewing on other devices etc).

What is the Ethernet port (480iQ/iQHD) for ?

shows/movies via broadband internet. (iQHD already available, 480iQ December 2010)

Can I manually set a timer recording from the Foxtel iQ/iQHD (set day/start/end times)(Manual/Custom Record) ?

Yes. Sometimes you may want to record but not directly from the TV Guide. First, press the Active button (or Setup) on your remote control then press Down to highlight System Setup and press Select. The Setup screen displays. Press Down to highlight Manual Recording or Custom Record then press Select.

Why can't I get a full service iQ/iQHD in my MDU(Multi Dwelling Unit(/Townhouse/Apartment)) ?

If your not in cabled area and have to get Foxtel via a shared satellite dish you might not be able to get an iQ/iQHD (or have a limited "Lite" service) as the satellite Foxtel iQ/iQHD normally requires two feeds from the satellite dish/multiswitch for full operation and your building my not be already wired for this. (Two feeds are needed normally so both polarities can be selected at the same time for the multiple tuners.)

If you have been refused an iQ/iQHD before 15th November 2009 you might want to try again as with the new satellite more channels/features are available in many situations.

You might be able to check if you have "MDU Extra Lite" (old
), by going to channel 998 and looking on screen for the old 11.3Ghz value (which needs to be replaced with the newer 10.7GHz one).

Some channels/features that probably are unavailable to "MDU Lite" (& Extra Lite) users:- FTA channels, Setanta, NITV, TVN, many +2 channels.

Extra channels/features that probably are unavailable to "MDU Extra Lite" users:- HD channels, How To Channel, Disney Playhouse, Discovery Travel, iSelect/Active, all +2 channels.

How does iQ/iQHD's Remote Record work ?

When you add a recording on the Foxtel site it sends a signal through the cable/satellite that your iQ/iQHD receives and it then tries to add it. See
for more details.

Can I record channels with no EPG I get on the Foxtel iQ/iQHD ?

Yes but without a digital guide for such channels you will have to manually/custom program a timer recording with the channel & start/end date/times.

iQHD(iQ2) and HD(High Definition) Questions

Does Foxtel have some HD(High Definition) content ?

Yes. It requires a STB(Set Top Box) upgrade to an iQHD.

What Foxtel HD(High Definition) channels does it have ?

Currently there should be these
, as well as Foxtel 3D(201) and
movies.

What Digital FTA(Free To Air) HD(High Definition) channels does it have ?

See earlier answer in general questions for more details on FTA retransmission.

What does HD Foxtel cost ?

See
or the
and the full

At the time of writing this it is $150(upgrade) each iQHD put in, then $10 per month each iQHD box, then it is $10 per month for the HD versions of the channels you are subscribed to. Examples:-

HD with Sports = Get Started($45) + Sports($16) + HD($10) + iQHD($10) = $81 per month.

Sports HD Package = Get Started + Kids & Music + Drama & Lifestyle + Knowledge & Adventure + Sports + HD + iQHD = $102 per month.

HD with Showtime or Movie Network = Get Started($45) + Showtime or Movie Network($16) + HD($10) + iQHD($10) = $81 per month.

Movies HD Package = Get Started + Kids & Music + Drama & Lifestyle + Knowledge & Adventure + Showtime or Movie Network + HD + iQHD = $102 per month.

Movies Lovers HD Package = Get Started + Kids & Music + Drama & Lifestyle + Knowledge & Adventure + Showtime + Movie Network + HD + iQHD = $119 per month.

Platinum HD Package = All normal SD & HD channels + iQHD + mag = $132 per month.

Can I get the iQHD but not the HD+ channel packages ?

Yes.

What is the iQHD(iQ2) ?

A more advanced STB(Set Top Box)/PVR(Personal Video Recorder) allowing internal recording of shows, record 2 channels (to internal HDD) and watch third. Timeshifting (start watching before a recording is finished).
(program to record via Foxtel Website).
(selected shows autodownloaded to your HDD). 850iQHD has 320GB HDD(~50% reserved by Foxtel for HD
etc)(~90 hours SD or ~30 hours HD available for user recording). Has
outputs etc. No PIP(Picture in Picture) currently. See the "Set Top Boxes" section below for more info, also
and
or
. Both versions of the iQHD do not RF outputs (so if you use this on your existing STB you will need a RF modulator or use some other technique).

Will the Component video output in HD(High Definition) ?

If you have an 850iQHD (not 851iQHD) at your choice of
or
or
. Note: It appears you only get SD(Standard Definition) Component from the 850iQHD
(no Scart on 851iQHD), and from the RCAs on 851iQHD.

Can I use an iQHD on a old/non-HD TV ?

Yes it still has old outputs like
(both models) & on the 850iQHD model (not the 851iQHD)
(of course you won't see the extra detail of High Definition but you can watch the channels).

What copy protection does the iQHD use ?

uses
and as per normal at least
/
may use
copy protection.

Can I record from the iQHD ?

You can record like you can on the iQ (but as per normal at least
/
may have
copy protection).

Can I record Foxtel HD to my old VCR or DVD Recorder ?

Yes. Don't worry about it being "HD", it still has the normal analogue outputs that a normal VCR or DVD Recorder can use (of course you won't record the extra detail of High Definition but you should still be able to record the channels). Note some channels such as
/
may be copy protected (

What does the iQHD have/do that the iQ doesn't ?

The ability to decode/view/record the Foxtel HD channels and
HD movies
(and for cable users FTA(Free To Air) HD channels depending on your location). HD
output, HD(850iQHD) Component output. Larger HDD (850iQHD ~90 Standard Definition hours vs iQ ~60 hours Standard Definition available for user recording). More tuners, allowing watching a third channel when internally recording two others. See also

What formats are the Foxtel HD services ?

and
. See

Can the Foxtel iQ or standard set top box view HD channels ?

No. The iQHD is currently the only HD box from Foxtel.

Can I use my current universal remote that I use with Foxtel ? Can iQHD remote control other things ?

Yes you should be able to, the remote codes are the same as the iQ (Pace TDC460NF/TDS460NF or similar). Note the iQHD (Pace TDC850NF/TDS850NF/TDC851NF/TDS851NF or similar) remote is a universal/learning remote see

I am have remote problems with the iQHD (multiple presses/twitchy) ?

You might want to try sticky tape (coloured with black texta/permanent marker) or negative film or some other filter over the remote sensor on the iQHD. (Foxtel have been to known to post out a small film when requested)

I am only getting 2 channel audio on shows that should have 5.1 ?

It seems iQHD's HDMI now can output 5.1 when available (You may have to update the iQHD firmware before November 15th 2009). You can also use an optical or coaxial digital audio cable to get 5.1 (when available). Check your Foxtel audio settings are set to the default AC3 and not MPEG.

How do I reboot the iQHD ?

Press Reset button (in front right panel door near smartcard slot) for at least 3 seconds OR Press the "Back" and "Select" buttons (front panel of iQHD) together for at least 3 seconds, all lights should come on. Note your video settings might be changed.

How do I stop these HDCP messages on my screen ?

In the High Definition Settings menu of the iQHD you can turn the warnings off.

I want to output HDMI and Component at the same time ?

You should be able to use the SD(standard definition) (from (tv)Scart on 850iQHD, RCAs on 851iQHD) Component output while still getting HDMI output.

Will the iQHD produce a better picture on SD(Standard Definition) channels than the SD Foxtel STB(Set Top Box)'s?

If you have a HD television it could give a slightly better picture (if using HDMI or upscaled Component output) as it will get to the scaler earlier in the chain (in a more pure form of the actual broadcast). But don't expect miracles, highly compressed SD can't be magically transformed into something great.

I currently use the Foxtel RF output to distribute(/channel change) Foxtel throughout my house, but the iQHD doesn't have any RF outputs ?

Yes you will have to use a RF modulator (eg using the composite output from the iQHD) or some other method. If you are currently using the iQ Multiroom remote kit to change channels in other rooms you will have to look at third party devices which send remote codes back to transmit the signal to the iQHD.

What is the eSATA port for ?

Future use. Foxtel said "we are working with the studios on getting approval for external hard disk drives, and it is more likely than not that such drives will be authorised to contain material from FOXTEL but not other places.".

Connection Configurations Display only

The following are commonly used configurations. Note that your Foxtel set top box has a menu setting which controls what it outputs via the Scarts so you will need to set that to the appropriate setting before changing cables in most cases (see "Cables"/"Set Top Boxes" FAQ sections for more info/instructions). Consider a scart adaptor if you have existing cables. You can also of course add to all of them a digital Audio connection from Foxtel to an amplifier/receiver.

The normal installation config is V1 (H1 for 480iQ/iQHD). The most common configs people change (from V1) to are C1 and S1.

Config H1 - Foxtel to HDMI on TV. Potential Foxtel display quality: Highest

Requirements: Foxtel
iQHD/480iQ
, TV with
(with
) input

1. Foxtel
iQHD/480iQ
's HDMI >---(HDMI cable)---> TV's HDMI input

Config C1 - Foxtel to Component on TV. Potential Foxtel display quality: Very High

Requirements: Foxtel STB excluding UEC700/UEC720/851iQHD, TV with
input

1. Foxtel's (tv)Scart output >---(Scart to Component & Audio cable)---> TV's Component & Audio inputs

Note: It seems you only get SD(Standard Definition) from
on the
850iQHD
(and others of course).

Config C2 - Foxtel to Component on TV. Potential Foxtel display quality: Very High

iQHD
, TV with
input

1. Foxtel
iQHD
's Component outputs >---(Component cables)---> TV's Component inputs

2. Foxtel
iQHD
's Audio outputs >---(Stereo Audio RCA cable)---> TV's Audio inputs

OR a single(bundled) cable (with all 5 RCA's on each end):-

1. Foxtel
iQHD
's Component & Audio outputs >---(Component & Audio cable)---> TV's Component & Audio inputs

Config B1 - Foxtel to RGB on TV. Potential Foxtel display quality: Very High

Requirements: Foxtel STB excluding 851iQHD, TV with RGB input (
)

1. Foxtel's (tv)Scart output >---(Scart to Scart cable)---> TV's Scart input (using RGB)

Config S1 - Foxtel to S-Video on TV. Potential Foxtel display quality: High

Requirements: Foxtel STB excluding 851iQHD, TV with
input

1. Foxtel's (tv)Scart output >---(Scart to S-Video & Audio cable)---> TV's S-Video & Audio inputs

Config S3 - Foxtel iQ/iQHD to S-Video on TV. Potential Foxtel display quality: High

iQ/850iQHD
, TV with
input

1. Foxtel
iQ/850iQHD
's S-Video output >---(S-Video to S-Video cable)---> TV's S-Video input

2. Foxtel
iQ/iQHD
's Audio outputs >---(Stereo Audio RCA cable)---> TV's Audio inputs

OR a single(bundled) cable (with S-Video mini-din & 2 Audio RCA's on each end):-

1. Foxtel
iQ/850iQHD
's S-Video & Audio outputs >---(S-Video & Audio cable)---> TV's S-Video & Audio inputs

Config V1 - Foxtel to Composite on TV. Potential Foxtel display quality: Average

input

1. Foxtel's (tv)Scart output >---(Scart to Composite & Audio cable)---> TV's Composite & Audio inputs

Config V3 - Foxtel to Composite on TV. Potential Foxtel display quality: Average

Requirements: Foxtel STB excluding Pace250/480iQ, TV with
input,

1. Foxtel Composite output >---(Composite to Composite cable)---> TV's Composite input

2. Foxtel Pace420 3.5mm Analogue(/Digital) Audio output >---(3.5mm to Audio cable)---> TV's Audio inputs

OR if UEC1000/iQ/iQHD a single(bundled) cable (with 3 RCA's on each end)(AV Cable):-

1. Foxtel Composite & Audio outputs >---(Composite & Audio cable)---> TV's Composite & Audio inputs

Config F1 - Foxtel to RF on TV. Potential Foxtel display quality: Below Average, Audio: Mono

Requirements: Foxtel STB excluding Pace250/480iQ/850iQHD/851iQHD, TV with RF(UHF) input

1. Foxtel's RF output >---(RF to RF cable)---> TV's RF/Antenna input

Connection Configurations with Recording

The following are commonly used configurations. Note that your Foxtel set top box has a menu setting which controls what it outputs via the Scarts so you will need to set that to the appropriate setting before changing cables in most cases (see "Cables"/"Set Top Boxes" FAQ sections for more info/instructions). Consider a scart adaptor if you have existing cables. You can also of course add to all of them a digital Audio connection from Foxtel to an amplifier/receiver. Normally RF from Foxtel is not used, so no need to feed your Antenna's cable into Foxtel STB, usually just Antenna->(RF/Antenna in)Recorder(RF out)->(RF/Antenna in)TV.

The normal installation config is the simple V1rV2 (probably H1rV for iQHD). The most common configs people change to are C1rV2 and S1rS2 (or C1rS3 with an iQ)(or H1rS3 with an iQHD). Remember the only time you will get S-Video out the video-Scart is when you set the box to output S-Video from the tv-Scart, so you cannot have Component from the (tv)Scart and S-Video from the (video)Scart at the same time.

Config H1rS3/H1rS2 - Foxtel to HDMI on TV. Foxtel to S-Video on Recorder. Potential Foxtel display quality: Highest, Record Quality: High

480iQ/850iQHD
, TV with
(with
) input, Recorder with
input

1. Foxtel
480iQ/iQHD
's HDMI output >---(HDMI cable)---> TV's HDMI input

2. Foxtel
850iQHD
's S-Video & Audio outputs >---(S-Video & Audio to S-Video & Audio cables)---> Recorder's S-Video & Audio inputs

OR

2. Foxtel's (video)Scart >---(Scart to S-Video & Audio cable)---> Recorder's S-Video & Audio inputs

3. Recorder's best matched Video & Audio output >---(cable)---> TV's best matched remaining Video & Audio input

Config H1rV1/H1rV2/H1rV3 - Foxtel to HDMI on TV. Foxtel to Composite on Recorder. Potential Foxtel display quality: Highest, Record Quality: Average

480iQ/iQHD
, TV with
(with
) input, Recorder with
input

1. Foxtel
480iQ/iQHD

2. Foxtel's (video)Scart <---(Scart to VCR cable)----> Recorder's Composite & Audio inputs & Composite & Audio outputs

OR

2. Foxtel's (video)Scart <---(Scart to Composite & Audio cable)----> Recorder's Composite & Audio inputs

OR

2. Foxtel's (tv)Scart <---(Scart to Composite & Audio cable)----> Recorder's Composite & Audio inputs

OR

2. Foxtel iQHD's Composite video & Audio (3 RCA's) output >---(Composite & Audio cable)---> Recorder's Composite & Audio inputs

3. Recorder's best matched Video & Audio output >---(cable)---> TV's best matched remaining Video & Audio input

Config C1rS3/C2rS3 - Foxtel to Component on TV. Foxtel to S-Video on Recorder. Potential Foxtel display quality: Very High, Record Quality: High

iQ/850iQHD
, TV with
input, Recorder with
input

1. Foxtel's (tv)Scart output >---(Scart to Component & Audio cable)---> TV's Component & Audio inputs

OR if iQHD 1. Foxtel
iQHD
's Component & Audio outputs >---(Component & Audio cable)---> TV's Component & Audio inputs

2. Foxtel
iQ/850iQHD
's S-Video & Audio outputs >---(S-Video & Audio to S-Video & Audio cables)---> Recorder's S-Video & Audio inputs

Config C1rV2/C1rV3/C2rV2/C2rV3 - Foxtel to Component on TV. Foxtel to Composite on Recorder. Potential Foxtel display quality: Very High, Record Quality: Average

Requirements: TV with
input, Recorder with
input

OR if iQHD 1. Foxtel
iQHD

2. Foxtel's (video)Scart <---(Scart to Composite & Audio cable)----> Recorder's Composite & Audio inputs

OR

2. Foxtel's (not Pace250/480iQ) Composite video & Audio (3 RCA's) output >---(Composite & Audio cable)---> Recorder's Composite & Audio inputs

Config rB1/H1rB1/S3rB1/V2rB1/V3rB1 - Foxtel to RGB converted to ? on TV. Foxtel to RGB on Recorder. Potential Foxtel display quality: Average(Composite) to Highest(HDMI), Record Quality: Very High

Requirements: Foxtel STB excluding 851iQHD, Recorder with RGB input (
), TV with a matching input to Recorder's output

1. Foxtel's (tv)Scart output >---(Scart to Scart cable)---> Recorder's Scart input (using RGB)

Optional (so Recorder does not need to be on to view foxtel)

3. Foxtel
iQHD

3. Foxtel
iQ/850iQHD
's S-Video & Audio outputs >---(S-Video & Audio to S-Video & Audio cables)---> TV's S-Video & Audio inputs

3. Foxtel's (video)Scart output >---(Scart to Composite & Audio cable)---> TV's Composite & Audio inputs

3. Foxtel's (not pace250/480iQ) Composite & Audio outputs >---(Composite & Audio cable)---> TV's Composite & Audio inputs

Note: Newer Australian Panasonic models don't seem to support RGB input anymore.

Config B1rV2 - Foxtel to RGB on TV. Foxtel to Composite on Recorder. Potential Foxtel display quality: Very High, Record Quality: Average

Requirements: Foxtel STB excluding 851iQHD, TV with RGB input (Scart), Recorder with
input

1. Foxtel's (tv)Scart output >---(Scart to Scart cable)---> TV's Scart(RGB) input

Config rB1oB - Foxtel to RGB on TV. Foxtel to RGB on Recorder. Potential Foxtel display quality: Very High, Record Quality: Very High

Requirements: Foxtel STB excluding 851iQHD, TV with RGB input (
), Recorder with RGB input/output (
)

1. Foxtel's (tv)Scart output >---(Scart to Scart cable)---> Recorder's Scart(RGB) input

2. Recorder's Scart(RGB) output <---(Scart to Scart cable)----> TV's Scart(RGB) input

Config S1rS2 - Foxtel to S-Video on TV. Foxtel to S-Video on Recorder. Potential Foxtel display quality: High, Record Quality: High

input, Recorder with
input

1. Foxtel's (tv)Scart output >---(Scart to S-Video & Audio cable)---> TV's S-Video & Audio inputs

2. Foxtel's (video)Scart >---(Scart to S-Video & Audio cable)---> Recorder's S-Video & Audio inputs

Config S1rV3 - Foxtel to S-Video on TV. Foxtel to Composite on Recorder. Potential Foxtel display quality: High, Record Quality: Average

input, Recorder with
input

2. Foxtel's (excluding Pace250/480iQ) Composite video output >---(Composite cable)---> Recorder's Composite input

3. Foxtel's (video)Scart >---(Scart to Audio cable)---> Recorder's Audio inputs

OR

3. Foxtel Pace420 3.5mm Analogue(/Digital) Audio output >---(3.5mm to RCA Audio cable)---> Recorder's Audio inputs

OR

3. Foxtel UEC1000/iQ Audio output >---(Stereo Audio RCA cable)---> TV's Audio inputs

4. Recorder's best matched Video & Audio output >---(cable)---> TV's best matched remaining Video & Audio input

Config V1rV2 - Foxtel to Composite on TV. Foxtel to Composite on Recorder. Potential Foxtel display quality: Average, Record Quality: Average

input, Recorder with
input

1. Foxtel's (tv)Scart output >---(Scart to Composite & Audio cable)---> TV's Composite & Audio inputs

2. Foxtel's (video)Scart <---(Scart to VCR cable)----> Recorder's Composite & Audio inputs & Composite & Audio outputs

Optional (For better than Composite viewing of Recorders output)

Note: If 3 is not used, you view the Recorders output by pressing the AV button on Foxtel remote.

Connection Configurations with Many Devices

Note that your Foxtel set top box has a menu setting which controls what it outputs via the Scarts so you will need to set that to the appropriate setting before changing cables in most cases (see "Cables"/"Set Top Boxes" FAQ sections for more info/instructions).

Note if you are going to be using Free To Air Television make sure Foxtel(normally UHF 41), DVD Recorder, DigitalFTA-STB, VCR, if put in Antenna/RF chain, do not output on a UHF channel that is used in your location for Free To Air transmissions.

Config C1rV2/C1rS3/H1rV2/H1rS3/C2rV2/C2rS3-d - Foxtel, High end TV, Recorder, Digital FTA Set top box

1. Foxtel's (tv)Scart output >---(Scart to Component & Audio)---> TV's Component & Audio input

OR if 480iQ/iQHD 1. Foxtel
480iQ/iQHD

OR if iQHD 1. Foxtel
iQHD

OR if iQ/850iQHD 2. Foxtel
iQ/850iQHD

OR if iQHD 2. Foxtel
iQHD
's Composite & Audio outputs >---(Composite & Audio to Composite & Audio cables)---> Recorder's Composite & Audio inputs

3. DigitalFTA's Video & Audio output >---(Video & Audio cable)----> Recorder's Video & Audio input

4. Recorder's best matched Video & Audio output >---(cable)---> TV's best matched remaining Video & Audio input

Antenna->(RF in)DigitalFTA(RF out)->(RF in)Recorder(RF out)->(RF in)TV

Optional (required to view DigitalFTA directly (not via Recorder))

DigitalFTA's best matched remaining Video output >---(Video & Audio cable)----> TV's best matched remaining Video & Audio input

etc

Config S1rS2-d - Foxtel excluding 851iQHD, High end TV, Recorder, Digital FTA Set top box

3. DigitalFTA's Video & Audio output >---(Video & Audio cable)----> Recorder's Video & Audio input

DigitalFTA's best matched remaining Video output >---(Video & Audio cable)----> TV's best matched remaining Video & Audio input

etc

Config C1rV2/C1rS3/H1rV2/H1rS3/C2rV2/C2rS3-dv - Foxtel, High end TV, Recorder, DigitalFTA Set top box, AVReceiver/Amp(not used for switching video)

1. Foxtel's (tv)Scart output >---(Scart to Component & Audio)---> TV's Component & Audio input

480iQ/iQHD

OR if iQHD 1. Foxtel
iQHD

2. Foxtel's Optical Digital Audio output >---(Optical Cable)---> AVReceiver's Optical Audio input

3. Foxtel's (video)Scart <---(Scart to Composite & Audio cable)----> Recorder's Composite & Audio inputs

OR if iQ/850iQHD 3. Foxtel
iQ/850iQHD

OR if iQHD 3. Foxtel
iQHD
's Composite & Audio outputs >---(Composite & Audio to Composite & Audio cables)---> Recorder's Composite & Audio inputs

4. DigitalFTA's Video & Audio output >---(Video & Audio cable)----> Recorder's Video & Audio input

5. DigitalFTA's Digital Audio output >---(Digital Audio cable)----> AVReceiver's Digital Audio input

6. Recorder's Digital Audio output >---(Digital Audio cable)----> AVReceiver's Digital Audio input

7. Recorder's best matched Video & Audio output >---(cable)---> TV's best matched Video & Audio input

etc

Config C1rV2/C1rS3/H1rV2/H1rS3/C2rV2/C2rS3-dvs - High end TV, Foxtel, Recorder, DigitalFTA Set top box, AVReceiver(used for switching video)

1. Foxtel's (tv)Scart output >---(Scart to Component)---> AVReceiver's Component input

480iQ/iQHD
's HDMI output >---(HDMI cable)---> AVReceiver's HDMI input

OR if iQHD 1. Foxtel
iQHD
's Component outputs >---(Component cable)---> AVReceiver's Component input

2. Foxtel's Optical Digital Audio output >---(Optical(TOSLINK) Cable)---> AVReceiver's Optical Audio input

3. Foxtel's (video)Scart <---(Scart to Composite & Audio cable)----> Recorder's Composite & Audio inputs

OR if iQ/850iQHD 3. Foxtel
iQ/850iQHD

OR if iQHD 3. Foxtel
iQHD

4. DigitalFTA's Video & Audio output >---(Video & Audio cable)----> Recorder's Video & Audio input

5. DigitalFTA's Digital Audio output >---(Digital Audio cable)----> AVReceiver's Digital Audio input

6. Recorder's Video output >---(Video cable)----> AVReceiver's Video input

7. Recorder's Digital Audio output >---(Digital Audio cable)----> AVReceiver's Digital Audio input

8. AVReceiver's best matched Video & Audio output >---(cable)---> TV's best matched Video & Audio input

Optional (required to view DigitalFTA via AVReceiver (not via Recorder->AVReceiver))

DigitalFTA's best matched remaining Video output >---(Video cable)---->AVReceiver's best matched remaining Video input

etc

Cables/Adaptors & instructions

Cable - Digital Audio

Cable - Scart to Component & Audio

Very high quality video connection with video broken into 3 components. A single
plug at one end, and at the other end 5
s (6 with Foxtel's and some others versions) consisting of:-

Y/Green video (
)(normally
green
or marked Y or G or Green)

Pr/Red video (
)(normally
red
or marked Pr or R or Red or Cr)

Pb/Blue video (
)(normally
blue
or marked Pb or B or Blue or Cb)

Left Audio (
)(normally
white
or
black
or marked L)

Right Audio (
)(normally
red
or marked R)

Foxtel's (and some others) also has a
video (
)(normally
yellow
and/or labeled video)

Adaptor - Scart to RGB/Component

to three RCA sockets. Can be used with a set of
leads instead of a
to
cable. Most don't have audio sockets so you will have to use another output for that.

Cable - Scart to S-Video & Audio

A single
plug at one end, and at the other end 1 mini din and 2
s consisting of:-

Left Audio (
)(normally
white
or
black
or marked L)

Right Audio (
)(normally
red
or marked R)

(4 pin mini din)

Adaptor - Scart to S-Video & Audio

to 4 pin mini din (
) socket with Left & Right Audio RCA sockets. Can be used with a
& Audio leads instead of a Scart to
cable.

Cable - Scart to VCR (Scart to 6 RCA plugs)(Scart to Composite Video & Audio in/out)(Scart to AV in/out)

The normal cable installed from (video)
to Recorder. Carries
video & Audio L+R both in and out. A single
plug at one end, and at the other end 6

Left Audio out (
)(normally
white
or marked L out)

Right Audio out (
)(normally
red
or marked R out)

video out (
)(normally
yellow
and/or labeled video out)

Left Audio in (
)(normally
white
or marked L in)

Right Audio in (
)(normally
red
or marked R in)

video in (
)(normally
yellow
and/or labeled video in)

Cable - Scart to Composite & Audio (Scart to AV)(Scart to 3 RCA plugs)

Often the cable installed from (tv)
to TV. Carries
video & Audio L+R out. A single
plug at one end, and at the other end 3

Left Audio out (
)(normally
white
or marked L out)

Right Audio out (
)(normally
red
or marked R out)

video (CVBS) out (
)(normally
yellow
and/or labeled video out)

Cable - Scart to Scart

at both ends. Can carry a variety of audio/video signals in both directions. Make sure you get a fully wired one.

Cable - S-Video & Audio to S-Video & Audio

and Audio L+R at both ends consisting of:-

Left Audio (
)(normally
white
or
black
or marked L)

Right Audio(
)(normally
red
or marked R)

(4 pin mini din)

Cable - S-Video to S-Video (S-VHS to S-VHS)

mini din (4 pin) at both ends. Carries video signal broken up (into Chrominance & Luminance).

Cable - Composite & Audio to Composite & Audio (AV cable)

Normally 3
s at both ends consisting of:-

Left Audio (
)(normally
white
or
black
or marked L)

Right Audio (
)(normally
red
or marked R)

video (CVBS) (
)(normally
yellow
and/or labeled video)

Cable - Component to Component (RGB to RGB)

Very high quality video connection with video broken into 3 components. Normally 3

Y/Green video (
)(normally
green
or marked Y or G or Green)

Pr/Red video (
)(normally
red
or marked Pr or Cr or R or Red)

Pb/Blue video (
)(normally
blue
or marked Pb or Cb or B or Blue)

Cable - Audio L+R to Audio L+R (2 RCA plugs to 2 RCA plugs)(Stereo Audio RCA cable)

Normally 2

Left Audio (
)(normally
white
or
black
or marked L)

Right Audio (
)(normally
red
or marked R)

Troubleshooting (Foxtel's:- Standard, iQ, iQHD)

Foxtel/Optus Generally

Try Reboot (most common fix):- See
rebooting page for instructions.

If still failing, Try PowerOff/PowerReboot:- Firstly (stop any recording if an iQ/iQHD) put Foxtel/Optus STB(Set Top Box) into standby if possible. Turn it off at the mains switch, leaving it off for 1 minute. Then turn on again, wait for it to start up, then press Foxtel on your remote.

Foxtel STB(Set Top Box) having card read errors

First try Reboot/PowerOff (as described above). If still failing (stop any recording if an iQ/iQHD) put Foxtel STB(Set Top Box) into standby if possible, turn Foxtel STB off at the mains switch, remove the card, wipe card with cotton cloth, reinsert (Foxtel logo up), turn Foxtel STB back on, wait for it to start up, then press Foxtel button on your remote.

Foxtel scart Component output to TV not working

Make sure you have a Scart to
cable (and not Scart to VCR etc type).

Make sure you are plugging into the TV Scart socket (NOT the video/vcr
socket) on the (Foxtel/Optus) Set Top Box.

Make sure you are saving the settings when you select YUV video output in the Foxtel STB menu.

Make sure you are plugging the correct
s into the correct RCA sockets on TV.

Check the
pins on your cable, make sure some aren't depressed.

Try a Reboot or PowerOff on the (Foxtel/Optus) Set Top Box (see above for instructions).

Try another
input on TV.

Try another Scart to
cable.

Try another TV.

Set Top Boxes

Standard Digital Box (Pace 420)(DC420/DS420)

The one normally installed. Can output up to
video quality (TV
only). Can output Digital Audio.

Capable of video output at same time of:-

(
(tv) socket) &
(
(video) socket) &
(rca(
yellow
) socket)
YUV setting

OR RGB(
(tv) socket) &
(
(video) socket) &
(rca(
yellow
) socket)
RGB setting

OR
(
(tv) socket) &
(
(video) socket) &
(rca(
yellow
) socket)
S-Video setting

OR
(
(tv) socket) &
(
(video) socket) &
(rca(
yellow
) socket)
PAL setting

You can set
video output settings by Pressing Setup then from menus go to System Setup -> System Settings -> Picture Settings -> Video Output. Don't forget to save your settings. See below for more specific instructions.

Analogue audio output(left + right) from both
s and (combined) 3.5mm socket. Optical digital from (combined) 3.5mm socket.

The installers menu has an option to change the RF output channel (default is UHF 41).

Possible method to force update of firmware (normally automatic). Never turn off during a firmware update. Better to use simple/
video connection as settings may reset. DON'T DO THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING. Using box buttons press Select and Back together until all the lights come on, then press Power, then press Up, then press Down, then press Power. Then wait until it has finished. DON'T DO THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING.

Pace 250 (DS250)

New satellite box. Like the pace 420 but with no modem(so have to call for Pay Per View), no separate
output, no RF output and just a standard
optical audio out. Scarts output like Pace 420 (eg
video from TV
).

460iQ (original iQ)(older iQ)(Pace 460)(DC460/DS460)(TDC460NF/TDS460NF)

A PVR(Personal Video Recorder). 160GB HDD (some space reserved by Foxtel). Scarts output like Pace 420 (eg
video from TV
) but also has a separate
socket allowing output of
and
at the same time. Has both optical(
) and coaxial digital sound outputs. Closed captions recording now available (but apparently not working 100%).

Possible method to force update of firmware (normally automatic). Never turn off during a firmware update. Stop recordings first. Better to use simple/
video connection as settings may reset. DON'T DO THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING. Using box buttons press Select and Back together until all the lights come on, then press Power, then press Up, then press Down, then press Power. Then wait until it has finished. DON'T DO THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING.

480iQ (newer iQ)(Pace 480)(iQ-1.5)(TDC480NF/TDS480NF)

Newer iQ box. Like the original Pace 460 but with HDMI output (Standard Definition), no RF outputs, no separate
or
output.

Scarts output like Pace 460 (eg
video from TV
).

port for broadband On Demand. USB port for future use.

850iQHD (Pace TDC850NF/TDS850NF)

A PVR(Personal Video Recorder).

320GB HDD (~50% reserved by Foxtel for
etc)(~30 hours HD or ~90 hours SD user recording space).

Can decode
(as well as the normal
) allowing viewing of the Foxtel HD channels (
and
).

Has four tuners, 2 tuners for recording 1 for viewing and 1 to download content in the background.

Has
output. Also has separate
(RCA's) and
(RCA) outputs.

The 850 version (not the 851) also has
(mini-din) and Scarts outputs like Pace 420.

NO RF outputs (so if you upgrade and currently use RF output you will need a RF modulator or use some other technique).

Has both optical(
) and coaxial digital sound outputs.

port for broadband On Demand.
port for future use. USB port for future use.

chipset.

Possible method to force update of firmware (normally automatic). Never turn off during a firmware update. Stop recordings first. Better to use simple/separate(not Scart) video connection as settings may be reset. DON'T DO THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING. Using box buttons press Select and Back together until all the lights come on. Then lights go off, then come on again, now quickly press Power, then press Up, then press Down, then press Power. Then wait until it has finished. DON'T DO THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING.

851iQHD (Pace TDC851NF/TDS851NF)

Same as the 850iQHD above but without the SCART & S-Video sockets & only SD(Standard Definition) from the Component RCAs. Possibly bigger HDD. See the 850iQHD section above for more information.

UEC 1000 (DSN/DCN 1000)

Less common, set top box. Scarts output like Pace 420 (eg
video from TV
). Has a RCA socket for Coaxial Digital Output.

Possible method to force update of firmware. Never turn off during a firmware update. Better to use simple/
video connection as settings may be reset. DON'T DO THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING. Using box buttons do a restart (Back and Select together), when all the lights come on, hold Standby until the Message light stays on, then press Up, Down, then Power/Standby. Then wait until it has finished. DON'T DO THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING.

UEC 700/720 (DSN700/DSN720/DSN720NM)

Less common, very old set top box. No
video or digital sound outputs.

Links

Edited by cttc

You need to go to edit, select 'full edit' then untick the box that says 'enable emoticons', and then click 'add modified post'. Reason for this is that where you have B), it has come up as an emoticon.

The error is down at cable-component to component.

Links

Edited by cttc

Can I record from the Foxtel iQ ?

Yes. Recording to external Recorder ties up your iQ display though (it will be only outputing what your recording on external device). You can even queue up a heap of shows you have on your iq HDD for output to an external Recorder (so you can start it before you go out/bed).

How do you do this?

If you just mean record see the Configurations for recording in FAQ.

If you mean queue them up for output. I think you:-

Go to Foxtel planner

Highlight show you want, press red button on Foxtel Remote (or whatever is labeled Copy).

Highlight another show you want, press red button.

etc

Press select, on Foxtel Remote.

Start recording on VCR/DVD recorder.

Press play on Foxtel Remote.

Anyway should be in your manual. If Foxtel didn't remove this feature?

• 2 weeks later...
Note that your Foxtel set top box has a menu setting which controls what it outputs via the Scarts so you will need to set that to the appropriate setting before changing cables in most cases.

So how exactly does one access this menu setting? I can find no mention of it in the instruction manual.

So how exactly does one access this menu setting? I can find no mention of it in the instruction manual.

Setup -> System Setup -> System Settings -> Picture Settings -> Video output

That would probably be correct. Your manual would have further details about the various options avaliable.

Hello All,

First post here on this website.

Wondering if the foxtel box, using the optical cable, always outputs 5.1 sound, or only for shows that are 5.1.

Have just setup a new sony amp, and am setting it to what I think is auto detect, and its just setting it to 2.1.

Cheers guys,

Tristan.

Hi i was just wondering if i connect foxtel digital to my recorder can i record a channel of foxtel so that my recorder will automatically change the channel if its not set on the right one?

EG. Its on showtime and i want to record fox 8 but im not home. If i set the g code or manual record on recorder to record fox 8 and the specific time, will the channel get changed?

Thanks

Hi i was just wondering if i connect foxtel digital to my recorder can i record a channel of foxtel so that my recorder will automatically change the channel if its not set on the right one?

EG. Its on showtime and i want to record fox 8 but im not home. If i set the g code or manual record on recorder to record fox 8 and the specific time, will the channel get changed?

Thanks

Without going into too much, I'm assuming your on the standard foxtel digital service. Now if you look and place a program in you planner, at the bottom of the planner screen, the red button will be an Auto tune function which automatically tunes your foxtel box into the correct channel at the right time.

Foxtel iQ users don't have this feature for obvious reasons.

No the external recorder cannot change Foxtel's channel.

But you might be able to get your (Panasonic DMR-EH55?) recorder to automatically record (no programming date/time) what you AutoTune on Foxtel. From FAQ:-

For timer recordings, do I have to program my Recorders timers as well as use AutoTune ?

Some recorders have a feature (called Ext-Link, auto-record or similar) that will either use a special signal on a pin(8) on the video Scart connector OR use the detection of a video signal to trigger recording. So when your Foxtel box Autotunes the recorder starts recording and at the end it stops. This will normally require a full Scart to Scart cable, see your recorders manual for more info.

Here is some more detailed info I haven't added to the FAQ as I need verification from panasonic owner that it all works:-

The panasonic (and some others) DVD recorders support ext link recording, I am not sure if the Foxtel (pace 420) box fully does but assume so. You basically:-

Connect a full scart-scart cable (they detect signal on pin 8 or check the video signal pins or similar) from the Foxtel VCR Scart to the Ext Scart (AV2 panasonic) on DVD recorder. Check your Ext Link settings (AV2) for your DVD recorder (Ext Link 1 = panasonic can record when it gets special signal (try that first) OR Ext Link 2 when the external video device switches on or off).

1. Use Autotune on Foxtel set top box for show you want (using Digital Guide/Personal Planner)(if worried about missing start/end also add show before and/or after).

2. You might have to put Foxtel set top box into standby (I assume AutoTune will bring it out of standby, if not try with it on).

3. Select DVD or HDD on DVD recorder (to record to), then press Ext Link (on panasonic remote) before you go.

Now when Foxtel comes on for the program, the Recorder should record automatically (no need to program the date/times into the recorder). In the morning just press Ext Link to turn it off again.

PS Should be able to do similar thing with most digital FTA set top boxes as well (even if they don't support the pin 8 signal they normally send no video in standby, STB timer will kick in sending a video signal (triggering recording), and at end of timer it goes back into standby with no video signal again).

• 2 weeks later...
I would like to use a Logitech Harmony Remote, my foxtel box is the bland Foxtel Digital one with just the lights on the front, will i be able to program the harmony remote to use it? We have like 8 remotes for all the boxes, the Harmony would be usefull!

Firstly identify your set top box. Look on back or underneath for the model or look at the the specification PDFs (which have pictures) in the FAQ. Sounds like you have the Pace 420 so check if it looks like the pictures in this (PDF).

Then it will depend on which model Harmony, the 520 and 880 are reported to work with the Pace 420. A message search for "Harmony Foxtel" will provide more first hand experiences.

I have connected my Pioneer dvdr hdd to foxtel (Pace 420) via the Video Recorder Scart and s video. I have connected my plasma screen via the TV Scart and s video. I get a good image when the dvdr is turned on, but I cannot get any sound or picture via the TV Scart when the dvdr is turned off. Hence I have to have the dvdr on all the time. I don't really want this situation and would prefer to be able to watch foxtel without having the recorder on all the time. Any ideas?

I have connected my Pioneer dvdr hdd to foxtel (Pace 420) via the Video Recorder Scart and s video. I have connected my plasma screen via the TV Scart and s video. I get a good image when the dvdr is turned on, but I cannot get any sound or picture via the TV Scart when the dvdr is turned off. Hence I have to have the dvdr on all the time. I don't really want this situation and would prefer to be able to watch foxtel without having the recorder on all the time. Any ideas?

Are you changing your plasma to the correct input (which will be different to the one your DVD recorder is connected to)? Presumably your Foxtel unit is set to s-video?

Foxtel is set to s video. Correct inputs have been selected. Even rang foxtel to be told that I could have one or the other. That is, s video to the tv or s video to the dvd but not both. Seems to go against any info I have at this stage. I thought from reading the forums, the above pinned post and the Pace 420 guide, that it was possible to simultaeously output s video from both as opposed to rgb to tv and composite to dvd etc. I am a little confused. I was not happy with the quality of composite to the dvd. Any further suggestions?

Foxtel is set to s video. Correct inputs have been selected. Even rang foxtel to be told that I could have one or the other. That is, s video to the tv or s video to the dvd but not both. Seems to go against any info I have at this stage. I thought from reading the forums, the above pinned post and the Pace 420 guide, that it was possible to simultaeously output s video from both as opposed to rgb to tv and composite to dvd etc. I am a little confused. I was not happy with the quality of composite to the dvd. Any further suggestions?

What sort of cable are you using between the Foxtel box and the TV? It could be that your cable is for the wrong direction as SCART is directional. You should have a SCART to SVideo & audio cable, if it's the other way (SVideo + audio to SCART) it won't work.

So when your recorder is on everything works perfectly (S-Video on TV, recording S-Video on DVDR) ?

These are both the exactly the same Scart to S-Video cables? What model/brand?

If you unplug the Foxtel Recorder scart, your TV gets S-Video Foxtel fine ?

If you unplug the S-Video/Audio ends from DVDR (leaving scart plugged in), your TV gets S-Video Foxtel fine ?

Try using the video recorder scart going to TV and tv scart going to DVDR.

Don't see how turning off your recorder would change the output of the Foxtel TV scart, unless it was somehow turning on loop through of Video scart input (some weird cable).