Plasma Run In - How Many Hours ?

We recently purchased a Panasonic TH-42PA60A and have been using PersianImmortal's conservative settings for the initial burn in period...

Mode: Standard

Contrast: 50

Brightness: 50

Color: 43

Sharpness: 50

Color Temp: Standard

Color Management: Off

MPEG NR: Off

The display now has 130 hours up and I am wondering how long should we run these settings. I have read many threads on this forum and there seems to be no common answer... most people have indicated that the latest Gen 9 panels do not need as long as older panels, with figures ranging from 100 to 300 being common.

What are peoples's thoughts ?

My wife is going out with the girls tonighjt and I'm itching to break out DVE and calibrate this sucker :blink:

Folk lore suggests 100 hours is enough time. Chug a couple of Red Bulls before sitting down to an evening with DVE :D And not having the wife around is a great idea. They simply just don't understand... :blink:

My wife says that I am being "anal" when I start calibrating.

I'm glad I got my RX-V657 as the YPAO saves a whole heap of comments as I don't need the measuring tape and SPL meter any more :P

I'm glad I got my RX-V657 as the YPAO saves a whole heap of comments as I don't need the measuring tape and SPL meter any more :blink:

Glad to know I'm not the only one with a disorder around here :D.

There's no need to run in the Pana plasma. AFAIK Panasonic preruns all their plasmas at the factory.

I left mine at the standard setting using Persian Immortal's setting (contrast 78 brightness 46 colour 47 sharpness 9) since day 1 and never had a problem.

Just be careful if you play games for several hours on end, though.

There's no need to run in the Pana plasma. AFAIK Panasonic preruns all their plasmas at the factory...

I'd read the same but that wasn't the case with mine. Checked hours in service menu on mine after running for a few hours it was only 2 or 3 hrs so I ran mine on persians break in settings for 200 hours.

Led

Factory Lines do a QC check which probably takes a max of 15 mins.

Can you see the factory running in each panel for 200 hours yer right not seen many flying pigs this week..

Plasmas are quite expensive so why not get the most from your investment a minimum run in of 100 hours should give some peace of mind. There is a fair chance you will replace it before it ever gets near 60,000 hours I would be inclined to bet.

Enjoy your toys.

I'm glad I got my RX-V657 as the YPAO saves a whole heap of comments as I don't need the measuring tape and SPL meter any more :D

Don.t throw the tape and SPL meter away auto setups are usually bloody terrible check out the threads and reviews before trusting the 50cent Robots in AVRs. Might actually be the wife being 'anal' calibrating is good for the soul. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Got a question about leaving the plasma TV on. Say if you wanted to take a break from watching for about 15 mins, but you were going to go back to it in 15, would it be better to leave the TV on or would it be better to turn it off and back on again? Some people have said that it is better to turn it on to increase the lifespan of the TV, but others say that turning it on and off isn't good for it. I'm interested to know what others out there think? How does this theory differ for LCDs and CRTs?

Thanks

Kevin

We recently purchased a Panasonic TH-42PA60A and have been using PersianImmortal's conservative settings for the initial burn in period...

Hey, I bought same model(TH-42PA60A) today, getting it delivered on Tuesday. As I know NOTHING about this calibration thingy, would you please let me know what is this 'burn in' period? and what sort of things you need to do with new plasmas? I mean do you need to select any specific settings or keep running it for certain period of time??? :blink:

Hey, I bought same model(TH-42PA60A) today, getting it delivered on Tuesday. As I know NOTHING about this calibration thingy, would you please let me know what is this 'burn in' period? and what sort of things you need to do with new plasmas? I mean do you need to select any specific settings or keep running it for certain period of time??? :blink:

Hi all,

I have just bought a Pana 50" plasma. Where can I find the "PersianImmortal's" settings you are referring to?

Thanks,

Ed

Hi all,

I have just bought a Pana 50" plasma. Where can I find the "PersianImmortal's" settings you are referring to?

Thanks,

Ed

Found the thread! :D

***SNIP***

Found the thread! :D

A link would be good :blink: !!!

As to the question of "running plasmas in" et. al. Turn 'em on, enjoy them.

If you're going to buy a calibration disk, give you panel a few hours to settle in, but apart from that, adjust it (if you want) until you're happy with it, watch and enjoy.

Regarding the On / Off question, I'd treat it like any other piece of gear, would you turn your PC off if you were stepping away for 15 minutes ? Probably not... Six hours ? Probably yes....Somewhere in-between.....You'll work it out.

Austen.

A link would be good :blink: !!!

As to the question of "running plasmas in" et. al. Turn 'em on, enjoy them.

If you're going to buy a calibration disk, give you panel a few hours to settle in, but apart from that, adjust it (if you want) until you're happy with it, watch and enjoy.

Regarding the On / Off question, I'd treat it like any other piece of gear, would you turn your PC off if you were stepping away for 15 minutes ? Probably not... Six hours ? Probably yes....Somewhere in-between.....You'll work it out.

Austen.

Here it is:

Persian settings

I finally got around to calibrating our TH-42PA60A with DVE. Using PersianImmortal's settings for the TH-42PV500A as a starting point I have ended up with the following settings.

Contrast: 78

Brightness: 58 (up from 50)

Color: 55 (up from 52)

I am utilising these settings for both DVD and FTA via Component and am very happy with the picture quality... Battlestar Galactica Series 2 is stunning, especially the forrest scenes in episodes 3 & 4.

You can see the settings are not that different from those I started with, however these are specifically for the TH-42PA60A... I hope this helps anyone else with panel.

• 2 months later...
Just wondering mhorsman, are you still running and happy with these settings ?

I have not changed these settings... several people have commented on the quality of the picture and were surprised that this is a SD screen.

We sit approx 3.5m from the screen and are very happy with the image quality. Some content from Foxtel is less than brilliant (enough said) but when fed a good quality SD signal via FTA or DVD is is great. Well worth the sub $2000 price

• 5 months later...
I finally got around to calibrating our TH-42PA60A with DVE. Using PersianImmortal's settings for the TH-42PV500A as a starting point I have ended up with the following settings.

Contrast: 78

Brightness: 58 (up from 50)

Color: 55 (up from 52)

I am utilising these settings for both DVD and FTA via Component and am very happy with the picture quality... Battlestar Galactica Series 2 is stunning, especially the forrest scenes in episodes 3 & 4.

You can see the settings are not that different from those I started with, however these are specifically for the TH-42PA60A... I hope this helps anyone else with panel.

Hi All PA60A owners,

Was just wondering what you have you picture settings on just gone past 100 hours and just interested to know what you all have your picture settings set too, i have got mine on the below for the moment.

Also is it worth getting this plasma professionally calibrated?

Also final question if i may:

with the th-42pa60 what version hdmi is it v1.1 ?

if that is the case can i still buy an receiver with hdmi v1.2?

i have looked at the manual and it does not say anything.

confused?

Slightly OT but I was told with my 50MXE20 not to worry about it.

If I was aware of burn-in it would never happen.

When I suggested I might turn down the settings I was told by the calibrator that that would delay the ISF calibration by at least month.

He reckoned I could leave a static image up for 30 hours and it wouldn't get image retention, and even if it did, it could be removed.

Different plasma of course.

It's been over a month and I've had zero image retention let alone burn-in.

Slightly OT but I was told with my 50MXE20 not to worry about it.

If I was aware of burn-in it would never happen.

When I suggested I might turn down the settings I was told by the calibrator that that would delay the ISF calibration by at least month.

He reckoned I could leave a static image up for 30 hours and it wouldn't get image retention, and even if it did, it could be removed.

Different plasma of course.

It's been over a month and I've had zero image retention let alone burn-in.

new panel... the 'old' panel and the NEC which I have has lots and lots of image retention... different glass, so the old one heats up more... again, no burn in at all, but image retention... lots and that's with close to 3,000 hours on it... I was extremely pedantic in the first 200 hours and ran the whitel ine often, no 2.35:1, etc... now, I just use it... I still run the white line when playing xbox games with lots of static content.. otherwise its ok ....

the NEC is the worst I know or heard of for image retention... the only case I know of serious image retention was a guy on AVS which with a new panel (less then 20 hours)paused a bright scene and fell asleep for about 8 hours..... after about 2 weeks of running screen savers, etc.. it went completely away... but I wouldn't recommend this to anyone....

Hi All PA60A owners,

Was just wondering what you have you picture settings on just gone past 100 hours and just interested to know what you all have your picture settings set too, i have got mine on the below for the moment.

Also is it worth getting this plasma professionally calibrated?

Also final question if i may:

with the th-42pa60 what version hdmi is it v1.1 ?

if that is the case can i still buy an receiver with hdmi v1.2?

i have looked at the manual and it does not say anything.

confused?

Kaoz, you may like to have a read of PA60A owner's thread - http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=45138 - I have re-opened. Sorry, but can't help you with your HDMI query... I have Pana EX75 connected directly via HDMI, and works OK, but also run optical-audio from EX75 to AVR.

Koaz, you may like to have a read of PA60A owner's thread - http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=45138 - I have re-opened. Sorry, but can't help you with your HDMI query... I have Pana EX75 connected directly via HDMI, and works OK, but also run optical-audio from EX75 to AVR.

Ultrasmart,

Thanks for that.

After i also wrote about the hdmi versioning issue, i wrote to pana customer support, hopefully i will get a relpy back and will post the findings.

Hopefully a few of the PA60A members will reply to my queries now, the waiting game begins.

KOAZ

Ultrasmart,

Thanks for that.

After i also wrote about the hdmi versioning issue, i wrote to pana customer support, hopefully i will get a relpy back and will post the findings.

Hopefully a few of the PA60A members will reply to my queries now, the waiting game begins.

KOAZ

For all that are interested, i wrote to panasonic regarding my hdmi version query:

I got the below reply:

The Panasonic TH-42PA60 and the TH50PV60a have 1.1 version HDMI connections.

Still hoping some other PA60A forum members will take a moment to reply to my questions regarding "is it worth getting this plasma professionally calibrated?"

Also what picture settings they have their panels set too...