Pioneer 50-inch $6,499 - Pdp507xda, 42-inch $4,999

With any luck they'll say they can't get the 507 anymore but they'll be happy to give you a 508 at no extra cost.

I've had mine on order for four weeks (now being told end September). Can't imagine they will give a 508 for same price if cannot source a 507, but wonder if they could be persuaded to give a 508 at cost.

Anyone have an idea of cost for a 508? Perhaps if we assume the RRP is $5700, what would you guess that would make the cost price?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had mine on order for four weeks (now being told end September). Can't imagine they will give a 508 for same price if cannot source a 507, but wonder if they could be persuaded to give a 508 at cost.

Anyone have an idea of cost for a 508? Perhaps if we assume the RRP is $5700, what would you guess that would make the cost price?

RRP for a 507 was $4999 but people have been saying they have got it for as low as $3600-3700 which should be close to cost.

The talk is the 508's will be around RRP$5500-5700 so I would think cost should be around $4000.

Just a guess.

I'll be chuffed if I can score a 508 for under $5K within the first month of release. Gauging the interest on the various 508 threads there are probably at least a couple dozen people on these forums alone looking to buy one shortly after it comes out.

Edited by Felix.

Guest bunnyman62
That's the humidity! :D

Hello all. My first post after reading many comments singing the praises of the 507 . To those having trouble sourcing the 507 Bing Lee in NSW last friday had 8 left in their warehouse in Sydney.

I scored the 507 at Bing Lee Bennents Green Newcastle last Friday for $3700 with 18 months interest free.

Bing Lee rang me today , confirmed it had arrived in newcastle and supposedly tomorrow the subbies from Pioneer will ring me to arrange an installation date.

As for the 508 Aussie price. Well I saw a piccy and write up singing the praises of the 508 on a Pommy site and the recommended retail price of it was 2600 pounds......

....Converting that into Aussie dollars comes to $6241.00......OUCH!

That's the humidity! :D

Its the same today Lyle and for the next week or so, better leave the crystal ball in the cupboard then!.

and Bunny, you got an excellent deal considering how scarse the 507's are. Love mine as we all do, so get ready for a great experience and welcome to the Pio 50 club.

According to today's Herald Sun the 508XDA will RRP at $5699 for the 50-inch and $4699 for the 42-inch. No price on the 1920x1080 ZDA models

If that is the RRP for the 508 - 50" I think the street will be around $5K.

Ah well, we've had our 507 for about a month of use and its just died. The screen turnt off (with the red led on), so we turnt it back on, the screen makes the click noise, screen tries to load up and the blue led is on, then it turns off and the red led starts to flash every few seconds. Anyone got any idea?

Phone Pioneer.

How did you go with Pioneer evilsync?

Finally received my 507 after 7 weeks of waiting. Extremely happy with the tv. Picture quality if fantastic. Very happy with my purchase and cannot imagine how much more the 508s will improve on the 507s. I'm not a videophile so maybe i'm easily pleased but i guess ignorance is bliss.

The installers were great as well. Very friendly. Hooked up all my other components.

Only slight problem I have is a buzzing sound I can hear from the tv. Googled it and apparently is normal for the 507. Does anyone else have this problem?

Finally received my 507 after 7 weeks of waiting. Extremely happy with the tv. Picture quality if fantastic. Very happy with my purchase and cannot imagine how much more the 508s will improve on the 507s. I'm not a videophile so maybe i'm easily pleased but i guess ignorance is bliss.

The installers were great as well. Very friendly. Hooked up all my other components.

Only slight problem I have is a buzzing sound I can hear from the tv. Googled it and apparently is normal for the 507. Does anyone else have this problem?

Ours was delivered yesterday, by some fairly dodgey delivery people, who mislaid one of our portable ( $400) DVD players, which after three phone calls later was found in the back of their empty truck, after swearing blind that they delivered it. Now I am so worried that they are going to undeliver all of my gear.

Great picture quality, but have not had much time to play as it was not turned on and set up till about 8pm last night. Hubby is still setting up the SRS, that will take a while. A friend has a Samsung 52inch....and have to say the pic quailty on that is shocking compared to ours. Or maybe it is just that is he is sitting way to close.

Pickup my new truck today, Pathfinder.

Debbie

This is a problem that some people have with a variety of different plasma - some worse than others. See here for details and a potential cure- http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=23805 using tiles from http://www.fonic.com/

The nature of the room seems to have a lot to do with it - some pointers:

- it is good to have a bit of softness in the room to absorb reflected sound

- make sure your screen is well ventilated

- try something soft behind the screen - possibly sound absorbing tiles.

- turn the sound up and cover up the buzz ;)

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by brisvegas1

This is a problem that some people have with a variety of different plasma - some worse than others. See here for details and a potential cure- http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=23805 using tiles from http://www.fonic.com/

Cheers,

Mark

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks for the tips Mark. Will probably just follow your last tip and turn up the sound :)

not that i'm aware of............but my hearing might be going

Can anyone send me to the post with the recommended settings for the 507 please. While having had my unit now for about three weeks, the installer was fairly non specific about settings during run in, and at the moment I think it is set on standard picture etc.

I know I have seen these settings posted somewhere, but do you think I can find them, I have typed every conceivable word association I can think of, but nothing, so sorry for asking.

Also can you tell me how I see the amount of hours run on these units.

Thanks in advance.

John

Can anyone send me to the post with the recommended settings for the 507 please. While having had my unit now for about three weeks, the installer was fairly non specific about settings during run in, and at the moment I think it is set on standard picture etc.

I know I have seen these settings posted somewhere, but do you think I can find them, I have typed every conceivable word association I can think of, but nothing, so sorry for asking.

Thanks in advance.

John

If you search back through this thread Moby has posted his settings, which I have been told are quiet good (I'm still waiting to get the time to change mine)

anyway here is the post

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...st&p=606225

Myer in Perth city have reduced their ticket price on the 507 to $3,999. You may be able to haggle another couple hundred off that for anyone in the Perth area interested in picking up a quality 50" plasma. More importantly according to the salesman I spoke to, as of this morning, they have a couple left in stock.

Personally I'm hanging out for the 508s although they will of course go for a substantial premium over 507 pricing.

Edited by Felix.

Thanks in advance.

John

Turn the TV On

Select an unused input.

Put the TV on Stand-by (top left button on remote)

Press and hold the "i+" button for three seconds and then release. (top right button on remote)

Press the arrow buttons in the following order: Left, Up, Left, Right

Turn the TV on (top left button on the remote)

If successful, you should get a green screen with white writing

Scroll down with Down Arrow four times and you should get Hours Used and another number which is probably how many times the set has been turned on and off.

If you don't touch the Left and Right Arrow buttons you won't intefere with any settings.

Turn the TV to Stand-by and back to On to exit the system.

It took me a couple of tries before it worked. Only the "i+" button needed to be pressed for three seconds. The other buttons need only be pressed momentarily.

Guest bunnyman62

...Well my 507 is now 2 hours old and its bewtiful. I'd like to thank all who had contributed to this thread because as of two weeks ago i was not even contemplating buying a flat panel tv let alone being able to make an informed decision re the plasma v lcd debate.

Gaining knowledge by reading many threads on this forum enabled me to narrow my decision to select Plasma and that in turn steered me towards the Pioneer brand. With money being a tad tight I had to make the decison quickly with the imminent release of the 508 v the dewindling stock of the 507.

Money won out in the end and for 18 months interest free , 5 year warranty,installation and all for $3700 I thought for a novice I've done ok.

Thank u all again......

A techie came out with some replacement parts and tried to fix it (PSU etc), couldnt get it working. So he came back the next day with a temp set (only 7 hours of use on it, but alot of scratches so we aren't keeping it). Thats the latest so far, hopefully get it back soon minus any damage (otherwise asking for a new one).