Pioneer 50-inch $6,499 - Pdp507xda, 42-inch $4,999

.... After two unanswered emails and a misleading phone call plus an unreturned call from a message left by me over the last week I am hoping the Panels are a lot better than Pioneers Customer service (I know the panels are great after reading all your comments). ....

Mick I know how you feel, I got mine installed around 3 weeks ago, after spitting the dummy after leaving many messages with Pioneer and myers calling the rep many times who couldnt even arrange for someone to call me.

Can you beleive that yesterday I got a call from another different installer advising that he was comming around to install my set. I was tempted to let him come as would love to have 2 sets, but thought they might charge me for another and my wallet is still hurting from the first set.

Something seems severly amiss with the customer service section over the last 2 months but the set is fantastic.

FWIW:If it was me and being this close to the release of the 508 I would try to stall them for a few weeks to just get a feel for how much more the market is selling the 508 (I am not trolling).Either way you will should be happy with the 507 when it comes

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mick I know how you feel, I got mine installed around 3 weeks ago, after spitting the dummy after leaving many messages with Pioneer and myers calling the rep many times who couldnt even arrange for someone to call me.

Can you beleive that yesterday I got a call from another different installer advising that he was comming around to install my set. I was tempted to let him come as would love to have 2 sets, but thought they might charge me for another and my wallet is still hurting from the first set.

Something seems severly amiss with the customer service section over the last 2 months but the set is fantastic.

FWIW:If it was me and being this close to the release of the 508 I would try to stall them for a few weeks to just get a feel for how much more the market is selling the 508 (I am not trolling).Either way you will should be happy with the 507 when it comes

Thanks Steve, glad it isn't just me that is/was having trouble with them.

I thought about the 508 but I feel it will be at least another $1000 more than I am paying for the 507 and I am stretching the friendship to make that. So I couldn't really justify spending more.

I guess I just keep my fingers crossed.

Mick.

Hi all,

Getting a tad jealous reading about all your experiences with the 507. I have had one on order for 4 weeks. Was told by the store that they had 6 on backorder and they were due by this week. I confirmed this with Pioneer who said they were on backorder for that store and Panels were arriving every couple of weeks. Obviously not the case as all the store can get out of Pioneer is that they are on their way, no dates - approximate or otherwise. So I decided to attemp to contact Pioneer and see if I could find out more myself. After two unanswered emails and a misleading phone call plus an unreturned call from a message left by me over the last week I am hoping the Panels are a lot better than Pioneers Customer service (I know the panels are great after reading all your comments). I am beginning to wonder whether I will ever be the proud owner of a 507.

Is there anyone reading this who is in the same position as myself and can they shed anymore light on when we can expect delivery??

Thanks,

Mick.

Mick,

You're not the only one still waiting for the 507. I purchased mine from JB Maribynong VIC 4 weeks ago also and i'm still waiting. Like you have tried calling JB and Pioneer with no luck. The only thing I know is there are 6 people before me who are also waiting and 2 people after me. The guy at JB told me that the 507s have already arrived in Melbourne but they are still waiting for the stands. Whether that's true or not is a different story.

I've sent 2 emails and one phone call with no Pioneer reply.

But I have my 507 now, set it up myself and to me its picture perfect due to my previous experiences with TV's - CRT, LCD, Plasma and HT kit. Installer called I told him don't bother.

I've sent 2 emails and one phone call with no Pioneer reply.

But I have my 507 now, set it up myself and to me its picture perfect due to my previous experiences with TV's - CRT, LCD, Plasma and HT kit. Installer called I told him don't bother.

we had faith in you but you shouldn't have had to go through what you did :angry:

last time i checked regional australia was is in australia..............there should be no difference because of where you live ............that's a discrimination that should be looked at :excl:

Mick,

You're not the only one still waiting for the 507. I purchased mine from JB Maribynong VIC 4 weeks ago also and i'm still waiting. Like you have tried calling JB and Pioneer with no luck. The only thing I know is there are 6 people before me who are also waiting and 2 people after me. The guy at JB told me that the 507s have already arrived in Melbourne but they are still waiting for the stands. Whether that's true or not is a different story.

I had my new 507 installed on a wall mount on Tuesday, the installers told me that they were only doing wall mount installations at the moment due to there being no stands available. So what you have been told sounds correct.

we had faith in you but you shouldn't have had to go through what you did :angry:

last time i checked regional australia was is in australia..............there should be no difference because of where you live ............that's a discrimination that should be looked at :excl:

Your right Chat's, it was ridiculous. The bit that amused me most was the last reply from the guy at JB.

"I am sorry that you are not happy, despite the length that we have gone for you!!. Delivery and install has never been our obligation. In the interest of customer service we will provide this facility to you, and I have already organized this with the company that you supplied. You will be contacted in the next few days about install dates".

What!, "that we have done for you??". It was me who sent the JB guy the Pio emails I received confirming they would instal and deliver to Cairns, it was me who had to call JB about delivery a number of times after being told about 2 weeks which was closer to 6, it was me who sent him the local in installers phone number, told him of my new phone number and delivery guy was given the old one so it came a day later. On top of that, the guy confirmed with his local Pio rep it did include it all, so this being the reason I placed my order. It's just rubbish.

Anyway, I'm over the moon now with this really beautiful picture so all is behind me.

Your right Chat's, it was ridiculous. The bit that amused me most was the last reply from the guy at JB.

"I am sorry that you are not happy, despite the length that we have gone for you!!. Delivery and install has never been our obligation. In the interest of customer service we will provide this facility to you, and I have already organized this with the company that you supplied. You will be contacted in the next few days about install dates".

What!, "that we have done for you??". It was me who sent the JB guy the Pio emails I received confirming they would instal and deliver to Cairns, it was me who had to call JB about delivery a number of times after being told about 2 weeks which was closer to 6, it was me who sent him the local in installers phone number, told him of my new phone number and delivery guy was given the old one so it came a day later. On top of that, the guy confirmed with his local Pio rep it did include it all, so this being the reason I placed my order. It's just rubbish.

Anyway, I'm over the moon now with this really beautiful picture so all is behind me.

time heals all i guess....................so does a 507 picture

in my case i'm struggling to get the reomote off mrs chats :excl: ................although that's a pleasant surprise................then again she was the one who said she wasn't settling for second best

I had my new 507 installed on a wall mount on Tuesday, the installers told me that they were only doing wall mount installations at the moment due to there being no stands available. So what you have been told sounds correct.

I'm not sure about VIC but in SA my dad just got his installed yesterday with the stand. Went round yesterday. TV looks sensational!

Installation went smoothly. Guy (only one installer!) took just under an hour. Trolleyed the plasma in then lifted it by himself?? Hooked up foxtel, wii, and a coaxial for the built in HDTV tuner.

Installer trained mum on how to use the TV which makes my life much easier!

My dad watches a lot of foxtel which means a lot of 4:3 stuff.

Does anyone have any reccomendations for foxtel viewing? Is there going to much of an issue with retained images with those side columns?

I'm not sure about VIC but in SA my dad just got his installed yesterday with the stand. Went round yesterday. TV looks sensational!

Installation went smoothly. Guy (only one installer!) took just under an hour. Trolleyed the plasma in then lifted it by himself?? Hooked up foxtel, wii, and a coaxial for the built in HDTV tuner.

Installer trained mum on how to use the TV which makes my life much easier!

My dad watches a lot of foxtel which means a lot of 4:3 stuff.

Does anyone have any reccomendations for foxtel viewing? Is there going to much of an issue with retained images with those side columns?

i've set up foxtel to stretch the picture on as many programs as possible due to the programs my daughter watches.........that 4:3 killed my rear pro

i've set up foxtel to stretch the picture on as many programs as possible due to the programs my daughter watches.........that 4:3 killed my rear pro

I ve just noticed that some of the FTA ABC cartoons are comming through on 4.3 straight from the inbuilt 507 tuner. Cant seem to find the setup option to change. Any guidance would be appreciated.Havent noticed it until today and concerned about the black bars. Not all broadcasts on the channel are like that only some.

Edited by caloundrasteve

I ve just noticed that some of the FTA ABC cartoons are comming through on 4.3 straight from the inbuilt 507 tuner. Cant seem to find the setup option to change. Any guidance would be appreciated.Havent noticed it until today and concerned about the black bars. Not all broadcasts on the channel are like that only some.

not sure myself steve............just trying to limit the amount of 4:3 stuff we watch at the moment..........don't care if the picture is stretched.

we've been quite good............we only use the plasma if there is something we really want to see................if its background stuff like music etc we just run the feed through the lcd in the kitchen..............probably didnt help the rear pro much in that we tended to leave it running all the time.........mind you it is looking happy with itself as the new tv upstairs

just trying to limit the amount of 4:3 stuff we watch at the moment..........mind you it is looking happy with itself as the new tv upstairs

Thanks Chats, Glad to hear your set is happy.

I get a bit edgy when I come home from work and see the set running 4.3 cartoons and wonder how long its been on for. Maybe I am just being paranoid, but I think I have a hard road ahead to educate the kids about this stuff.

Mind you in the old house I used to come home to see the PJ running and no one in the room (That was scarry with the cost of globes).

Even if you have fox on stretch a lot of the sports and cartoons come out in 4.3 you just have to live with it...I have been watching a fair bit of sport eg a 4 hour nascar race on the pionneer from when i bought it about 3 months ago with no problem :wacko:

Driving to HN yesterday afternoon to suss out the new Xbox Elite when I get a phone call from Pioneer saying he can come and install the 507 now rather than Sat morning if I want. I explained that I was not ready for him to come, and he said no problems I'll give you a hand to dismantle all your existing AV stuff and then reconnect it all for you.

The guy Tom was fantastic, only young but certainly new what to do, and he could not have been more helpful if he tried. He didn't arrive until about 4.45pm and was here for a good 1 1/4hrs at least taking out my Av stuff and reconnecting it all again for me.

People who remember my earlier posts about Pioneer wanting to charge me $80ph for installation, well I had nothing to worry about at all, and there was never any hint of him charging anything. I did explain to him that I had the Onkyo 875 coming and that I had really wanted that to be there for him to connect it all up together. He said no problems, if I wanted to give him a call when it arrives(which is now Tuesday) he would be only too happy to come back and hook it all up as it should be. So there you go service with a smile the way that it should be.

So we were all a bit gob smacked last night sitting there watching it. I think the first thing we watched was the news, and a few of the news items were a bit grainy and some of them were very clear, so I suppose they have a mix of different quality feeds coming into them also. Next was Foxtel IQ, and I was not disappointed with the picture quality. I know it seems to get a lot of bagging on here about PQ, but from what we saw last night we had no complaints. And then a quick flick over to the footy to see how the crows were going, and that PQ was very clear and quite stunning for an outside broadcast. Good on you crows but I doubt they will go much further this year. And then the last test for the night was one of my downloaded movies on DVD. Sure the quality was not all there all the time and there was the odd pixalation going on occasionally as it does with downloaded content but yeah overall still good to see and I was mildly surprised.

This picture is just so big compared to our old 68cm, and the wife who was sitting in the sweet spot reckoned it was like sitting in the front row of the movie theatre and had problems seeing all the screen at once from side to side, but I didn't actually hear her complain which was the main thing, and the most important.

Several comments in posts above this one have said about their worries of the 4:3 black bands when watching anything in that format. I have the same worry, as my little one watches a lot of Foxtel cartoons etc is this something I will have to monitor, as she could have cartoons on all day if she so desires?

Thats it, I'm officially aw struck with this great Plasma and am so happy with the PQ and everything else with it, and am glad that I did not wait for the 508 as nice as that is going to be, but for the moment people will pay for that improvement accordingly, so yeah I'm a happy chappy with the 507. Now all I have to do is get my custom built EU installed and the 875 to finally arrive and then life will be sweet.

John

John, we all agree with you, this Pio 507 sure is the goods.

We are finding anyone who visits our abode makes the comment "gee that sure is a beautiful picture you have there". Last night we wached a DVD on it for the first time, the detail via HDMI was awesome to say the least. Just hooked up my new Beyonwiz S1 STB and it too has an fabulous image.

http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/BWhomepage.html

John, we all agree with you, this Pio 507 sure is the goods.

We are finding anyone who visits our abode makes the comment "gee that sure is a beautiful picture you have there". Last night we wached a DVD on it for the first time, the detail via HDMI was awesome to say the least. Just hooked up my new Beyonwiz S1 STB and it too has an fabulous image.

http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/BWhomepage.html

not really my area of expertise but I remember reading some where in this forum that 4 x 3 should viewing was recommended to be in short periods until 100 hours up, dont know if this still stands as more modern screens are supposed to have burn in protection still it mightnt hurt watch 4 x 3 for short periods only for the first 100 hours, cheers alan

Driving to HN yesterday afternoon to suss out the new Xbox Elite when I get a phone call from Pioneer saying he can come and install the 507 now rather than Sat morning if I want. I explained that I was not ready for him to come, and he said no problems I'll give you a hand to dismantle all your existing AV stuff and then reconnect it all for you.

The guy Tom was fantastic, only young but certainly new what to do, and he could not have been more helpful if he tried. He didn't arrive until about 4.45pm and was here for a good 1 1/4hrs at least taking out my Av stuff and reconnecting it all again for me.

People who remember my earlier posts about Pioneer wanting to charge me $80ph for installation, well I had nothing to worry about at all, and there was never any hint of him charging anything. I did explain to him that I had the Onkyo 875 coming and that I had really wanted that to be there for him to connect it all up together. He said no problems, if I wanted to give him a call when it arrives(which is now Tuesday) he would be only too happy to come back and hook it all up as it should be. So there you go service with a smile the way that it should be.

So we were all a bit gob smacked last night sitting there watching it. I think the first thing we watched was the news, and a few of the news items were a bit grainy and some of them were very clear, so I suppose they have a mix of different quality feeds coming into them also. Next was Foxtel IQ, and I was not disappointed with the picture quality. I know it seems to get a lot of bagging on here about PQ, but from what we saw last night we had no complaints. And then a quick flick over to the footy to see how the crows were going, and that PQ was very clear and quite stunning for an outside broadcast. Good on you crows but I doubt they will go much further this year. And then the last test for the night was one of my downloaded movies on DVD. Sure the quality was not all there all the time and there was the odd pixalation going on occasionally as it does with downloaded content but yeah overall still good to see and I was mildly surprised.

This picture is just so big compared to our old 68cm, and the wife who was sitting in the sweet spot reckoned it was like sitting in the front row of the movie theatre and had problems seeing all the screen at once from side to side, but I didn't actually hear her complain which was the main thing, and the most important.

Several comments in posts above this one have said about their worries of the 4:3 black bands when watching anything in that format. I have the same worry, as my little one watches a lot of Foxtel cartoons etc is this something I will have to monitor, as she could have cartoons on all day if she so desires?

Thats it, I'm officially aw struck with this great Plasma and am so happy with the PQ and everything else with it, and am glad that I did not wait for the 508 as nice as that is going to be, but for the moment people will pay for that improvement accordingly, so yeah I'm a happy chappy with the 507. Now all I have to do is get my custom built EU installed and the 875 to finally arrive and then life will be sweet.

John

I have the 506, had it for over a year. Early on I got some brightness change due to the black bands which was most noticeable when I watched HD content. It soon faded away each time though even after watching 4:3 screen for hours. Now I never see any issues at all. I think most of the issues with early plasmas have become less of a worry.

Hi guys, first post here.

Has anyone here hooked up a pc to the plasma? I am currently having problems in getting the right resolution for my pioneer. I have recently bought a Dell computer and i know the video card can output a signal of 1360 x 768 which is close to the pioneers native resolution of 1365 x 768. But the best resolution i can get out of the plasma is only 1024 x 768 which is basically 4:3 and not 16:9. Not happy with that resolution as it produces bars on either side of the picture. I know that it can support a 1360 x 768 as i have tested the pc on a 32" and 46" sony bravia v series lcds. But when i put it on the plasma, the best the pc can output on the plasma is 1024 x 768.

At the moment it looks like it might be the pioneers problem, but could be the pc's problem. Just would like to know what experiences you guys have had with hooking up a pc to the pioneer and what the problem might be. Any help appreciated, thanks guys.

Connection is made via vga cable to the pc input of the plasma.

I've got a HTPC attached via VGA (nvidia 6150 cpu) and it works.

Try hitting the picture mode switch. I've got my PC outputting 1360*768 and depending on the picture mode setting on the Pioneer, it either displays as 1024x768 or 1366*768.

No.

The 5th bullet point in the Note section on page 53 of the printed manual accompanying the TV says:

"No audio signals are output to the DIGITAL OUT terminal when connected only to the HDMI terminal for INPUT 3 or INPUT4."

You'll have to run digital from the DVD player to the amp (as I do).

Robert

Hmm. that would make it a bit of a problem if I were to add one of those ATI 2xxxx series card with HDMI out onto my HTPC. Ideally I'd like to have the option of HDMI sound to TV together with digital audio to the AMP at the same time. This gives me the flexibility of opting for full 5.1 DD/DTS or just dolby stereo depending on the occasion without making driver level changes in the PC. Tsk. Tsk Tsk.

Long time viewer, first time poster. After much reading and contemplation finally decided to buy my first big screen tv. Purchased from JB Hi-FI and got it at a good price. Was told when I purchased that they had just sold their last one and I would have a 1-2 week wait before mine would arrive.

It has now been 6 weeks and still no tv - no phone call -nothing!!!!! Everytime I ring JB they say 'Yeah should be here next week'. Are other people still experiencing delays in receiving theirs and has anyone been waiting longer than 6 weeks?? Starting to get pretty peeved off by the whole experience :angry2:

Long time viewer, first time poster. After much reading and contemplation finally decided to buy my first big screen tv. Purchased from JB Hi-FI and got it at a good price. Was told when I purchased that they had just sold their last one and I would have a 1-2 week wait before mine would arrive.

It has now been 6 weeks and still no tv - no phone call -nothing!!!!! Everytime I ring JB they say 'Yeah should be here next week'. Are other people still experiencing delays in receiving theirs and has anyone been waiting longer than 6 weeks?? Starting to get pretty peeved off by the whole experience :angry2:

I'm getting very frustrated as well. Been waiting more than 5 weeks now. Same story though... Told me i'd have to wait 1 to 2 weeks. Only difference was they told me I had to pay up front and said it was a Pioneer requirement!!!! Didn't think much of it as I paid with my credit card and I wouldn't need to pay off my credit card till 10 Sept (Actually thought I got a great deal!! Paid $3600 with free HDMI cable, get my TV in 2 weeks and only have to pay my credit card off in 6 weeks!!!). 10 Sept is now approaching and I still haven't received my plasma yet!!! What's worse, I called Pioneer recently and they told me they had no such 'up front payment' policy!!! Sales people are the biggest liars!!!

Where did you order your plasma from? I ordered mine from JB Hifi Maribynong VIC. I hope you're not in Victoria as well cause if you haven't gotten yours yet after 6weeks, what chance do I have of getting mine!!!!