Pioneer 50-inch $6,499 - Pdp507xda, 42-inch $4,999

Yeah I got my Yamaha receiver remote configured to run the 507, so the remote isn't an issue for me (except when I need to change settings - rare though). It is rather bulky.

Hi Mattrus

I got the 507. Im connecting a yamaha rxv-861 with all my components running thru it. Im trying to eliminate remotes. Although I dont think I'll be able to eliminate the TV remote altogether as when using the yamaha remote it scrolls thru the inputs. With the inbuilt tuner on the tv is has a specific button for DTV it is not classed as an input.. Can you set up the yamaha to do this function, if so how? I want to switch between input 4 HDMI and the built in tuner DTV using the yammy remote

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once you get a new big screen TV (or projector), it's a good excuse to pull out the video collection and watch them all again ;)

Ive actually stopped going to concerts now and wait to buy them on DVD. You can watch them over and over and I usually do ,when I can convince the rest of the family to move away from the 507. The 507 FTA pic is fantastic.

Amazing the CEO has never groanned out how much money it was, I guess she is happy too.

As us Pio 507 owners know there is little to compare to how good this plasma image is, its a no contest IMO, and the wait was well worth it,

err, a 50MXE20 would be a good place to start Foxtail :rolleyes: ... and then there's that LX608D that's just around the corner :ph34r:

My best mates girlfriends reaction when she saw the 507 in my house for the first time ....... "Thats bloody ridiculous". :lol:

Thats the exact reaction I was hoping for. B)

& of course she thought it was ridiculous because they don't have one :excl:

Now have my Pio 507 with Toppy MP and new Beyonwiz S1 set up and running, I must say the HD picture from the BW is simply amazing, so crisp and sharp, real nice skin faces and fabulous colours too. Once I get a handle on the BW operation I will remove the Toppy MP and sell it. Waiting for the new KEF KHT 3005 speakers and sub to arrive next week so I'm using the Pioneer speakers in the interim.

.. I am not entirely happy with the DVD pics through the HDMI to my yammy 661 and I will try component straight to the 507 and see what the difference is.

Wow, that was a worthwhile excercise, by pluging in a component cable, it opened up some new options in my DVD player menu, and although I switched back to using HDMI cable,The DVD player is now outputing at 720P instead of 576P and I can certainly see an improvement in DVD picture. I am a happy man and love my 507 evenmore.

Now have my Pio 507 with Toppy MP and new Beyonwiz S1 set up and running, I must say the HD picture from the BW is simply amazing, so crisp and sharp, real nice skin faces and fabulous colours too. Once I get a handle on the BW operation I will remove the Toppy MP and sell it. Waiting for the new KEF KHT 3005 speakers and sub to arrive next week so I'm using the Pioneer speakers in the interim.

Hi Foxtail, re the HD picture when watching FTA ,is there any better quality through the Beyonwiz then using the 507 inbuilt digital tuner?

Hi Foxtail, re the HD picture when watching FTA ,is there any better quality through the Beyonwiz then using the 507 inbuilt digital tuner?

I can't see any difference. All I use is the BW now, still have the Toppy MP plugged in so in effect I have 4 turners!!.

Wow, that was a worthwhile excercise, by pluging in a component cable, it opened up some new options in my DVD player menu, and although I switched back to using HDMI cable,The DVD player is now outputing at 720P instead of 576P and I can certainly see an improvement in DVD picture. I am a happy man and love my 507 evenmore.

steve.........................i have mine dvd player hooked up to the 507 with both hdmi & component............to me the hdmi is vastly superior*

*disclaimer........haven't got the best eyes

Is there such a thing as DVI to composite video cable/converter - I have no digital inputs left on my 50MXE20 (5004 video card) :) An alternative would be DVI to RGB (digital) and then I'd have to dump my Oppo :) - any suggestions on where to pick up any of these bits pse..

roll on the 608...

DOH! I forgot the Oppo has a DVI cable, so I used that. However Vista does not recognise my 50MXE20, just a generic screen and it's all got a green tint.. any ideas on how to set that up, I'm using the video input on the Pio input, no display for PC input

Edited by peedon

Hi guys

Just wanted to find out from you 507 owners out there. If I have a HDMI capable dvdplayer/mediaplayer and it outputs both audio/video via the HDMI interface and I have that connected to the 507, is it possible for the 507 to relay the audio via the SPDIF out to an external amp for multi-channel decoding?

ie dvdplayer -HDMI-> Pio 507 -SPDIF-> Amp

I don't have the right gear to test this out. Would appreciate if someone can assist?

dodgyblue

Hi guys

Just wanted to find out from you 507 owners out there. If I have a HDMI capable dvdplayer/mediaplayer and it outputs both audio/video via the HDMI interface and I have that connected to the 507, is it possible for the 507 to relay the audio via the SPDIF out to an external amp for multi-channel decoding?

No.

The 5th bullet point in the Note section on page 53 of the printed manual accompanying the TV says:

"No audio signals are output to the DIGITAL OUT terminal when connected only to the HDMI terminal for INPUT 3 or INPUT4."

ie dvdplayer -HDMI-> Pio 507 -SPDIF-> Amp

I don't have the right gear to test this out. Would appreciate if someone can assist?

dodgyblue

You'll have to run digital from the DVD player to the amp (as I do).

Robert

steve.........................i have mine dvd player hooked up to the 507 with both hdmi & component............to me the hdmi is vastly superior*

*disclaimer........haven't got the best eyes

Chats thanks for that,You are spot on advising that the HDMI is superior. I was running HDMI before but could only get 576P for some unknown reason, had tried several times to set to 720P on the DVD but all that did was shrink the screen on the sides. Anyway this time after pluging component cables and after a bit of fiddeling and "hocus pocus "I have managed to get the DVD outputing to 720P with full wide screen size back back through the HDMI.(VIA passthrough the AMP).

Chats thanks for that,You are spot on advising that the HDMI is superior. I was running HDMI before but could only get 576P for some unknown reason, had tried several times to set to 720P on the DVD but all that did was shrink the screen on the sides. Anyway this time after pluging component cables and after a bit of fiddeling and "hocus pocus "I have managed to get the DVD outputing to 720P with full wide screen size back back through the HDMI.(VIA passthrough the AMP).

figured it was safer to hook it up both ways................my lovely wife has trouble rembering thet the dvd player is INPUT 4... on the 507......though she can remember that the dvd player can be viewed through input 3 on the switch box oh well.

when i first set up i had the dvd audio set for hdmi & was blissfully unaware that i was listening to pro logic.............mild panic set in when there was no big boom during the napalm strike in apocalypse now......................bit of head scratching before i worked out the problem

Hi guys, first post here.

Has anyone here hooked up a pc to the plasma? I am currently having problems in getting the right resolution for my pioneer. I have recently bought a Dell computer and i know the video card can output a signal of 1360 x 768 which is close to the pioneers native resolution of 1365 x 768. But the best resolution i can get out of the plasma is only 1024 x 768 which is basically 4:3 and not 16:9. Not happy with that resolution as it produces bars on either side of the picture. I know that it can support a 1360 x 768 as i have tested the pc on a 32" and 46" sony bravia v series lcds. But when i put it on the plasma, the best the pc can output on the plasma is 1024 x 768.

At the moment it looks like it might be the pioneers problem, but could be the pc's problem. Just would like to know what experiences you guys have had with hooking up a pc to the pioneer and what the problem might be. Any help appreciated, thanks guys.

Connection is made via vga cable to the pc input of the plasma.

Edited by BigD

Hi all,

Getting a tad jealous reading about all your experiences with the 507. I have had one on order for 4 weeks. Was told by the store that they had 6 on backorder and they were due by this week. I confirmed this with Pioneer who said they were on backorder for that store and Panels were arriving every couple of weeks. Obviously not the case as all the store can get out of Pioneer is that they are on their way, no dates - approximate or otherwise. So I decided to attemp to contact Pioneer and see if I could find out more myself. After two unanswered emails and a misleading phone call plus an unreturned call from a message left by me over the last week I am hoping the Panels are a lot better than Pioneers Customer service (I know the panels are great after reading all your comments). I am beginning to wonder whether I will ever be the proud owner of a 507.

Is there anyone reading this who is in the same position as myself and can they shed anymore light on when we can expect delivery??

Thanks,

Mick.