Pioneer 50-inch $6,499 - Pdp507xda, 42-inch $4,999

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy with the 42 glad i did not go the 50 its all relative and a big step up from the old 26inch tv i used to love but sadly passed away :rolleyes::rolleyes:

please don't think we're having a go at you.............i have the luxury of having the 50" in a large room............horses for courses

Yea not a bad price, did u try hard to get them down on price? What was the advertised price? Iam in two minds, would like the 507 for the price but 508 sounds like a better plasma. Decisions, decisions.

No I didn't have to try too hard at all.The advertised price was $3998,which is about as cheap as I could get anyone else to come down to.Everyone I spoke to from Myers told me that for them to sell it for any less than $4000 they would have to lose money as that is approximately their cost price.

I was honest and told JB all the prices I had been offered by everyone else:$3900(from WOW),$3990-4100(Myers City,Chermside,Brookside and Indro)$3900(Clive Peters-if they could get me one!) and that Harvey Norman had completely sold out and just asked them for the best price they could give me,they came back with $3750 and my wife asked if they could possibly do it for $3700,and the manager said yes straight away.The guys there were excellent!!.

For $3700 I know I'll be happy-I've been drooling over this thing since it was$6500.

Jamie

I would also like to add that everyone I spoke to at ALL the different shops were very nice,even if they couldn't give me the price I wanted.Not one wanker all day!!

Speaking of size... my wife, God bless her, had convinced herself (and me, I confess) that 42" was the right size for our lounge room, we didn't need anything bigger, 50" would be too big etc etc.

Ten minutes in Harvey Norman and we walked out having ordered the 50" at her insistence! So size clearly does matter to a girl, despite what they say.

Size does matter. When I got mine installed I soon realised that the Great Wall of China is not the only man made object you can see from the moon. I am sure if my roof was see through you could also see my 507. If you are going to spend that much you might as well get something with a Wow factor. When visitors come into our house thats what they say when they see it "Wow".

Just get your wife an all in one remote that and all should be happy.

I would also like to add that everyone I spoke to at ALL the different shops were very nice,even if they couldn't give me the price I wanted.Not one wanker all day!!

you jamie a a miracle worker with luck like that..........my experience nearly turned me off buying things for lfe

good advice about the length of cable steve...........as i was about to purchase one length of hdmi cable i suddenly realised that i would need a longer one to allow for in wall instalation...........lucky for me that the rest of my cables were already long enough.

when they hooked up my tv, my antenna lead was a bit dodgy so they gave me a new one free

Thanks..., I had bought some of the more expensive antenna cables and a 4 in 1 splitter from Bunnings, but ended up returning them after the installer tested them and told me they werent up to scratch. They ended up making up 2 themselves. Ironic because the cables I bought looked much thicker and better quality connections than the cheapo's on the shelf.

Thanks..., I had bought some of the more expensive antenna cables and a 4 in 1 splitter from Bunnings, but ended up returning them after the installer tested them and told me they werent up to scratch. They ended up making up 2 themselves. Ironic because the cables I bought looked much thicker and better quality connections than the cheapo's on the shelf.

Hi all,first post but been a lurker on this thread for a while.I bought a 507 from JB and am waiting to be contacted re installation.Just wondering if the installers carry cables for sale if I need them.Hoping they can give me options as to the best way to hook everything together as my setup is a bit of a dog's breakfast atm.I don't want to go out and buy stuff that may not be what I need.

Hi all,first post but been a lurker on this thread for a while.I bought a 507 from JB and am waiting to be contacted re installation.Just wondering if the installers carry cables for sale if I need them.Hoping they can give me options as to the best way to hook everything together as my setup is a bit of a dog's breakfast atm.I don't want to go out and buy stuff that may not be what I need.

Hi Kahuna the lurker! congrats on your first post. Some installers may carry cables,I imagine its a good way to add a bit more income to their business and help customers at the same time.

Cable wise, I guess it all depends on what you want to connect to your 507. If you just want to watch TV then all you need is a power point and antenna cablesx2.

Are there any other devices you need to connect to? EG DVD player, AV receiver, HTPC, PVR, Playstation/Xbox?.

I would consider some sort of surge protection also. I used to fix/replace telephones that were blown up by lighting and have seen the damage it can cause.

Edited by caloundrasteve

well done kahuna..............mines a bit of here & there too....................dvd player connected via hdmi & component (mrs chats struggles so i kept component)..foxtel via component plus optical audio cable for the 507's sound.

i have the foxtel & dvd component hooked up to a switch box to keep things simple for the above mentioned mrs chats

Thanks for the welcome.I have the usual assortment of devices to connect,foxtel,dvd,vcr and amp.I installed conduit in the wall when we had some renovations done specifically for the plasma wallmount so my plan is to take the advice of the installer regarding best connection method and either buy cables off him,if I am missing something or whiz out and buy some while he is getting it organised.I have several outlets within a few minutes of home so I shouldn't have to hold the bloke up too much.

One question (to start with) why do I need 2 antenna cables?

Thanks for the welcome.I have the usual assortment of devices to connect,foxtel,dvd,vcr and amp.I installed conduit in the wall when we had some renovations done specifically for the plasma wallmount so my plan is to take the advice of the installer regarding best connection method and either buy cables off him,if I am missing something or whiz out and buy some while he is getting it organised.I have several outlets within a few minutes of home so I shouldn't have to hold the bloke up too much.

One question (to start with) why do I need 2 antenna cables?

there are 2 inputs.................one for digital & one for analog if you want both...................i only went digital

if you need to duck out you'll need to be quick because the installers work fast!

After the hassles with Pioneer and getting my 507 from Brisbane to Cairns, it arrives tomorrow the courier advised this morning, no instal but having done a Panny Plasma and Sharp LCD and lots of other gear in the past I will do it myself.

After the hassles with Pioneer and getting my 507 from Brisbane to Cairns, it arrives tomorrow the courier advised this morning, no instal but having done a Panny Plasma and Sharp LCD and lots of other gear in the past I will do it myself.

shouldn't be any dramas with the stand.....................all you'll need is an extra set of hands i imagine

Shame there is no reduction in the purchase price from Pioneer for not being able to provide installation - have you asked about this?

Had 2 emails from Pioneer confirming delivery and instal in Cairns if I bought down south, was the clincher for us, bought of JB Hi Fi in Ipswich then they (JB) found out Pioneer told them NO, so have reneged on there advise to me. There is a guy in Cairns who does HN's instals, going to get a price and hit Pioneer with the cost.

MY EMAIL:

To

service@pioneer.com.au

cc

Subject

Re: Info

HI,

Can you advise if we buy a Pioneer 507 from JB Hi Fi or David Jones in Brisbane or Sydney for instance would this be delivered by Pioneer and you would arrange instal?.

If the above is not correct we will buy Pansonic instead.

Reason being this TV is far too expensive here in Cairns and 2 of us here are buying a set each.

THEIR REPLY:

Thank you for your email,

Thanks for Considering purchasing our Fantastic Plasma panel , in answer to your question yes you can buy the panel from the retailers you mentioned and it will be delivered and installed to your premises by a Pioneer technician

Should you require further assistance with Pioneer products please feel free to contact our Help line and speak to one of our trained technicians on 1800 988 268.

Mon-Wed - 9am-5pm

Thur-Fri - 9am-9pm

Sat - 9am - 5pm

Thankyou.

Customer Care Centre | Pioneer Electronics Australia Pty Ltd

T: 1800 988 268 F: 1800 781 114

www.pioneer.com.au

I don't know what to belive re this instal, When we asked JB the guy re delivery & instal nefore placing the orders, he said he would need to check with his Pioneer rep, called me back and said yes it includes instal and delivery.

A few days after we paid he said it will include delivery and JB would cop a $150 difference (cost them he said $300) but not instal!, so I sent him a copy of Pioneers reply to me saying it did which he said he sent to them, he then came back and said no instal. I've spoken with Pioneer an hour ago and the service guy there said his manager will call me back as he can't give me an answer. I await the call.

I don't know what to belive re this instal, When we asked JB the guy re delivery & instal nefore placing the orders, he said he would need to check with his Pioneer rep, called me back and said yes it includes instal and delivery.

A few days after we paid he said it will include delivery and JB would cop a $150 difference (cost them he said $300) but not instal!, so I sent him a copy of Pioneers reply to me saying it did which he said he sent to them, he then came back and said no instal. I've spoken with Pioneer an hour ago and the service guy there said his manager will call me back as he can't give me an answer. I await the call.

thankfully once your watching it................all this will be just a laugh

there are 2 inputs.................one for digital & one for analog if you want both...................i only went digital

if you need to duck out you'll need to be quick because the installers work fast!

Why would one want both? Unless the Picture in Picture function can show an image from each, but I thought that was only for one FTA image and one from an AV input. Or perhaps there are areas where only some channels are available in digital, and others analogue?

I was considering asking to have my antenna cable split and hooked up to the 507 and my PVR (Strong SRT 5290), but I don't think I'll even bother with that now - the Foxtel IQ can take care of most recordings, plus I wanna start mucking around with my high def PC tuner card, Windows Vista, and a shiny new Xbox 360 Elite (with HDMI) as a media extender, so that can take care of FTA recordings where quality matters. So the Strong can be consigned to the dustbin of history.

Kahuna, I am planning to have all the cables (and at the required lengths) I need on hand at install time. So that means (current plan, unless someone advises different):

Foxtel IQ - Scart to component into Input 1 (cable probably the cheap 3m one from Selbys ($23) should be good enough for Foxtel)

A/V amp - Svideo to Input 2 (just for amp's OSD and got plenty Svid cables hanging around)

Oppo DV-981 DVD - HDMI into Input 3 (quality 6 foot cable supplied with the Oppo)

Xbox 360 - HDMI into Input 4 (probably Selby 3m at $43)

Optical out from 507 to A/V amp 9 (need 3m toslink cable - expect Selbys again)

Why would one want both? Unless the Picture in Picture function can show an image from each, but I thought that was only for one FTA image and one from an AV input. Or perhaps there are areas where only some channels are available in digital, and others analogue?

Because you may have more than one source and the AVR may not handle HDMI.

That is my situation. I have the DVD player direct to the plasma via HDMI and the Toppy 7000 via the AVR using component. All sound goes through the AVR.

Im In Perth and ordered the panel 3 wks ago from JB Hifi only to be told I have to wait another month.... :(

I know how you feel. I ordered mine more than 3 weeks ago from JB in Maribynong (Vic). Was told 2 to 3 weeks but now they are telling me they have no idea when they will be getting them. Very frustrating. If they had told me it was going to take more than 3 weeks, I would have gone somewhere else. Hope I don't have to wait an extra month as well!!!!

I know how you feel. I ordered mine more than 3 weeks ago from JB in Maribynong (Vic). Was told 2 to 3 weeks but now they are telling me they have no idea when they will be getting them. Very frustrating. If they had told me it was going to take more than 3 weeks, I would have gone somewhere else. Hope I don't have to wait an extra month as well!!!!
Maybe??? all you guys will get lucky.

If they can't fill the orders you might get 508's at the same price.