Pioneer 50-inch $6,499 - Pdp507xda, 42-inch $4,999

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well after a lot of research and thanks to the info I picked up from this great forum I am now the proud owner of a Pioneer 507. I checked out a lot of Panels, both LCD and Plasma but for my use, Plasma was most suitable, in the end it was a choice between the Pio or Pana 50" and I decided on the Pio as to me it seemed to have a more natural picture, to my eyes anyway. The 5 year factory warranty and wall mount installation made the decision just a bit easier.

So now I'm looking at a better quality DVD player, maybe a recorder with Hard Drive. I saw the Samsung Blue Ray player viewed on a Sony Bravia LCD and it looked awesome but at $1500 maybe I should wait for 12 months for the price to come down and more Blue Ray discs to be available. What are the better quality DVD players/recorders to consider?

I'm also not sure what cables I should be buying, I currently use average quality component cables for DVD to Plasma but will switch to HDMI with the new gear I buy. What brand cables should I be looking at? Monster, Pure AV by Belkin?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

What are the better quality DVD players/recorders to consider?

What brand cables should I be looking at? Monster, Pure AV by Belkin?

If you stick with Pioneer they will increase the warranty on the DVD to 5 years to match the plasma.

Player - 696 or 989 models

Recorder - 645 or 745 models

There are of course other brands that are touted in the Home theatre threads - Marantz, Denon, Yamaha etc

Cables can be a personal choice but most recommend that you don't need to spend big bucks - try kustom Kordz

So now I'm looking at a better quality DVD player, maybe a recorder with Hard Drive. I saw the Samsung Blue Ray player viewed on a Sony Bravia LCD and it looked awesome but at $1500 maybe I should wait for 12 months for the price to come down and more Blue Ray discs to be available. What are the better quality DVD players/recorders to consider?

I'm also not sure what cables I should be buying, I currently use average quality component cables for DVD to Plasma but will switch to HDMI with the new gear I buy. What brand cables should I be looking at? Monster, Pure AV by Belkin?

Anything but Monster.

I suggest you search around the countless threads on DVD and HD-DVD (also Blu-Ray) players.

Read the pinned FAQs especially the one on DVD-R's and PVR's.

By the weekend you'll be full bottle on the options.

Start with the pinned ones in my signature.

Just wondering if anyone is using an upscaling DVD player with their 507, and does it produce better results than a regular DVD player?

Have seen several reviews that the results can be good but may depend on the inbuilt qualities the panel already has.

I currently have a 3 year old Pioneer DVD outputting 576i via component and wondering if an upscaler outputing 720p or 1080i via HDMI would look noticeably better on the new 507.

I’ve seen a good user review of the Sony DVD and the Oppo as well.

hey guys

been waiting for a while to take the plunge and buy the 507. has anyone got a receipt they can send for a low price when i go talking turkey on sunday?

TIA

GS

Not as good as the $4,800 mentioned earlier, but a link to a site @ $4,999 to get the ball rolling:

http://www.cabramattahifi.com.au/store/pro...ffaa335cde0d8d7

Im just wondering, if one were to use a Blu-Ray / HD-DVD player on the 507.. obviously not a 1080p display, will it actually look much better then a Pio 989 dvd player simply cause the data is of a higher quality?

Im just wondering, if one were to use a Blu-Ray / HD-DVD player on the 507.. obviously not a 1080p display, will it actually look much better then a Pio 989 dvd player simply cause the data is of a higher quality?

Both sources would be rescaled by the panel to suit the display

Hi Guys

This is my first post so please be gentle. I have been revewing all the discussions since December last year trying to make up my mind between which tv to buy. After my extensive research I have narrowed it down to 2 tvs:

*Pioneer 427XDA

*Samsung LA40F71BX

I went shopping on the weekend to see the best price I could get for these 2 beasts - best I could find were:

Pioneer $3999 including pioneer 250 gb HD/DVD (was the 640 model only - no HDMI connectivity)

Samsung $2,970

Both of these prices were ticket prices before any haggling.

I watch mainly FTA / Foxtel and DVD's for the kids - no requirement for gaming / PC (though would be nice to know I could if I wanted to in the future).

When I first started looking I had made up my mind that Pioneer was the way to to based on the great reviews of the 6th gen panels. However the early reviews of the 427 suggest that it is not that great on SD / Foxtel. I would love to have your feedback. Are these criticisms just in reference to the 6th gen or in reference to all similar size plasmas.

HELP - any feeback would be appreciated as I want to go and by this machine ASAp as I don't think those prices will hold.

Cheers Luke

Hi Guys

This is my first post so please be gentle. I have been revewing all the discussions since December last year trying to make up my mind between which tv to buy. After my extensive research I have narrowed it down to 2 tvs:

*Pioneer 427XDA

*Samsung LA40F71BX

I went shopping on the weekend to see the best price I could get for these 2 beasts - best I could find were:

Pioneer $3999 including pioneer 250 gb HD/DVD (was the 640 model only - no HDMI connectivity)

Samsung $2,970

I watch mainly FTA / Foxtel and DVD's for the kids - no requirement for gaming / PC (though would be nice to know I could if I wanted to in the future).

When I first started looking I had made up my mind that Pioneer was the way to to based on the great reviews of the 6th gen panels. However the early reviews of the 427 suggest that it is not that great on SD / Foxtel. I would love to have your feedback. Are these criticisms just in reference to the 6th gen or in reference to all similar size plasmas.

HELP - any feeback would be appreciated as I want to go and by this machine ASAp as I don't think those prices will hold.

Cheers Luke

Luke, I was in the similar situation 3 months ago and was extremely keen on the Sammy (no sure which model though) with the built in HD tuner. I demoed it and a heap of other sets at the local HN. What it came down to is that I couldn't watch live sport on the LCD's (smearing) and if it was a plasma it would have to be the Pio. I'm not sure what the negatives over the 6th gen are in regards to SD tv. I ended up buying the 507 as I felt that the 42 would be too small in time. I also watch FTA, HD is obviously better but SD is quite acceptable IMHO. :blink:

Good luck and enjoy whichever one you go with

However the early reviews of the 427 suggest that it is not that great on SD / Foxtel. I would love to have your feedback. Are these criticisms just in reference to the 6th gen or in reference to all similar size plasmas.

Must say I am pleasantly surprised with how good SD TV looks through the 507 internal tuner. I am only watching the HD channels (ie 90 not 9) but even with non-HD programs it looks better than I expected.

The internal tuner does a much better job than my Topfield SD PVR when I flick between the two - although obviously the signal is coming analogue out of the PVR to the 507.

Hi Guys

*Pioneer 427XDA

*Samsung LA40F71BX

Samsung $2,970

Cheers Luke

Hi Luke,

You may have already given this some thought, but I really think it is worth considering a larger screen. You really start to notice the difference between 50 and 42 inch when viewing movies shot in a wider screen format. I'm so pleased we went for the larger screen (Pio 507 instead of 427). The TV looked way to large for the first two weeks, but we haven't looked back since! (Thanks to advice from this board). If you've got the space I think its worth the extra grand or maybe look at the 50 Pana instead. Great for the cricket and tennis. Apparently AFL will be in HD this year too! Just some friendly advice.

If you've got the space I think its worth the extra grand or maybe look at the 50 Pana instead.

Totally agree. I was originally out to get a 42" but ended up with a 50" because prices were in my ball park. Looked rather large for the first two weeks after steopping up from a 63cm CRT, but now I am VERY glad that I made the larger purchase. :blink:

Guys - thanks for the advice and believe me if I had the space (and could convince the wife - hard enough convincing her to spend $4K) I would have gone the bigger screen.

With all that said, combined with my impatience (and some prompt feeback yesterday) I went to HN Castle Hill yesterday afternoon and bought the 427 - got it for $4100 which included the updated Pioneer DVD Recorder/HDD DVR645H (which has the HDMI). Was very happy with the price and can;t wait for the baby to be installed.

Does anybody know if Pioneer when doing the install on the wall will conceal the cables for me (do they charge extra for this - if so how much approx). I also bought the Onkyo 674 Receiver (got it for $1300 - seemed a good price). Will they hook this up for me also even though it is not Pioneer ???

Cheers

Luke

LukeO

I think it is about $100 extra for them to conceal the cables in the wall.

Someone from Pioneer will give you a call to organise installation and ask what components you need connected to the 427. They should set-up the receiver for you as part of getting your system organised to include the plasma although you would need to have it all ready to go.