Pioneer 50-inch $6,499 - Pdp507xda, 42-inch $4,999

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What prices are these going for now - any lower than $3999 for 42" and $5150 for 50"????

J.B. Hi Fi in Nunawading has the 50" listed for $5500 approx. I'm guessing $5100 could be done, maybe even less. Seriously considering picking one up at that price...

Well, after a few months of researching I finally made the purchase yesterday.

JB Hi Fi in Preston had the 507 on Boxing Day sale at $5,283 (saw 2 people take it at that price while I was standing around watching the cricket) and I got it for $5,100 without any sweat so something lower may have been possible but I was happy with that price.

Now just need to wait for delivery……. :blink:

Panasonic TH-50PX600A + 5 years onsite parts and labour warranty + delivery, $4050 inc GST. excellent deal at Retravision Preston, VIC.

can be paid by credit card, 12months interest free for extra 6.5%.

anyone found a better price?

Well, after a few months of researching I finally made the purchase yesterday.

Still "considering" after several years ... the 505, then the 506, and now the 507 ... something else always crops up to take the cash the government has graciously allowed me to keep :blink:

And of course, a new model is always just around the corner by the time I decide to take the plunge!

JB Hi Fi in Preston had the 507 on Boxing Day sale at $5,283 (saw 2 people take it at that price while I was standing around watching the cricket) and I got it for $5,100 without any sweat so something lower may have been possible but I was happy with that price.

Nice one Moby. When JB had their "friends" sale a few weeks back they sent out a voucher that allowed you to buy an item at cost. So I asked about the 507 ... they reckoned the cost price was $5200 (Castle Hill, NSW). Sorely tempted but figured it wasn't low enough, and there would be sales coming up in December/January, and it ain't like the price is going to go up.

Glad I didn't take it! Thanks for the info. The time is almost right for me ... :D

Guest newbie08

Can owners of this tv confirm if EPG is available (more than now or next) as currently provided by some channels. Also, is it my imagination or is the delay on changing channels exceedingly long?

Can owners of this tv confirm if EPG is available (more than now or next) as currently provided by some channels. Also, is it my imagination or is the delay on changing channels exceedingly long?

I think you'll find that only the ABC has more than now and next. All other broadcasters don't offer more than now or next. And yes, from all reports the delay in changing channels is longer than many other DVB equipped brands

Guest newbie08
I think you'll find that only the ABC has more than now and next. All other broadcasters don't offer more than now or next. And yes, from all reports the delay in changing channels is longer than many other DVB equipped brands

So can you access the ABC epg day information?

Well the Pioneer guys delivered and set up the 507 on Wednesday. Table stand only for me but all up they took about an hour to do all the set-up, including storing all the channels with HD channels in Favourites list and connecting peripherals. Gave us a demo of all the remote functions, cleaned up the packaging etc. Talked through potential for image retention/screen burn but set everything to “Standard” picture mode and said something like a menu would need to be left static on screen for half an hour for any problem to potentially occur. Very good service all-round.

Have gone out of my way to check out a few HD TV programs (who’d of thought I’d watch an episode of Totally Wild! :blink: ) and these do look absolutely fantastic.

As expected, SD quality varies. Unfortunately the cricket seems to be as bad as anything.

Have been playing around with the picture settings and have found it looks better with Contrast and Colour down from Standard mode anyway. Still trying to get it where I’m happy with it. In particular trying to get it right for the Topfield PVR is challenging as the picture is really over saturated.

Anyway, am really happy but may not look at this thread again for a little while if others are going to be reporting ever better prices.

Anyway, am really happy but may not look at this thread again for a little while if others are going to be reporting ever better prices.

Don't be disheartened Moby, at least you have your set and are enjoying it. The time/price was right for you and that's all that matters.

Have been playing around with the picture settings and have found it looks better with Contrast and Colour down from Standard mode anyway. Still trying to get it where I’m happy with it. In particular trying to get it right for the Topfield PVR is challenging as the picture is really over saturated.

Well eventually everyone on this thread will be disappointed with *their* price as that's just the way the world turns - prices drop every week. Panasonic recently dropped the price of the 600a and I suspect that Pioneer have followed suite.

Don't worry, as diesel says - enjoy it!

My Toppy is connected via component (pity there is no RGB input!) to input 1, picture settings are:

contrast 27

Brightness +2

colour -17 (!)

tint 0

sharpness 0

All other 'Pro Adjust' settings on default

except Pure Cinema (off) & 'Dynamic Contrast (low)

I have energy save on 'save2' at the moment (still new)

Yeah, sorry if my post on $4800 didn't go down well, I just wanted to help.

No, that’s totally fine. I used this forum for several months to research the best prices others had secured and used that information in my bargaining. That’s one of the great things about the forum and I bet the info will be of use to others.

Don't be disheartened Moby, at least you have your set and are enjoying it. The time/price was right for you and that's all that matters.

Too true and that's what made me take the plunge - having it at home the following week versus waiting another month to try and get a further 2-4% off the price.

My Toppy is connected via component (pity there is no RGB input!) to input 1, picture settings are:

contrast 27

Brightness +2

colour -17 (!)

tint 0

sharpness 0

All other 'Pro Adjust' settings on default

except Pure Cinema (off) & 'Dynamic Contrast (low)

I have energy save on 'save2' at the moment (still new)

Thanks for this. Will give it a go when I get back home from a short holiday at the beach (507 separation anxiety has already set in).

cheers

An interesting thing happened today. I opened my email today and found that I won the loan of a PDP507XDA for the duration of the Australian Open 2007 from Pioneer Australia - one of their online competition. Trouble is, I am not sure where to put a 50" TV as my TV stand is not exactly that big. Can someone tell me how uhm stable this monster is? I've got a 1.5 year old daughter and a 4 year old daughter who can be mischevious and as part of the loan agreement, I'm liable for the TV. :blink: And of course the wife would not let me wall mount it 'cos if it goes on, it's never going to come off.

One thing good for sure, this is going to be an eye opener as I am currently using a 10 year old 51cm TV. My missus and I have been debating on and off about buying a new TV for the past few months and this might just swing the arguments for a big TV my way. :D

An interesting thing happened today. I opened my email today and found that I won the loan of a PDP507XDA for the duration of the Australian Open 2007 from Pioneer Australia - one of their online competition.

Yeah, I won a loaner in November, but declined, I had just bought my Pana 50" three weeks before. You're responsible for it's care whilst you have it and if you break it....FULL RETAIL PRICE...Ouch! :blink:

Absolutely not flaming - but just interested in why people prefer these to the most popular Panasonics as these Pioneers are a fair bit more expensive.

i'm in the market again for a 50" Plasma and prefer quality but also don't really want to spend more money than I need to.

Some people like the style better. The 5 year warranty is included. In metropolitan areas they are delivered and installed by Pioneer personnel for free.