Pioneer 50-inch $6,499 - Pdp507xda, 42-inch $4,999

Here's some picks a contact I know has posted - he was at the recent Pioneer Plasma HD launch. Apparently the Presenter was a Melbourne guy and in the powerpoint they quoted $6,499 for the 50 and $4,999 for the 42 inch

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/5314/dscn1116copyfa4.jpg

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/212/dscn1117copyyr8.jpg

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/4665/dscn1121copynd4.jpg

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/7500/dscn1120copyxd6.jpg

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's some picks a contact I know has posted - he was at the recent Pioneer Plasma HD launch. Apparently the Presenter was a Melbourne guy and in the powerpoint they quoted $6,499 for the 50 and $4,999 for the 42 inch

Given that the Panasonics are supposed to be $5,899 and $3,799, there is only a small difference between the 50" (and some of it taken up by the Pio 5 year warranty). However, there is a large $1,200 difference in the 42" - not sure that this can be justified.

That's $500 less than the recommended retail price (RRP) for the Pioneer 506 amd 436. With a bit of time (probably not much) it will be less than that.
For 1080p res?
I doubt it. That's the 5000EX.
Given that the Panasonics are supposed to be $5,899 and $3,799, there is only a small difference between the 50" (and some of it taken up by the Pio 5 year warranty). However, there is a large $1,200 difference in the 42" - not sure that this can be justified.
Not much different to the current models in differential.

AND as you say you get the 5 year warranty and installation included.

I'm a bit confused by the specs in the first pic. It says both the 42 & 50 inch's are 16:9 aspect ratio. Both have different horizontal pixels but yet the same number of vertical pixels. Wouldn't that be different ratios then?

50" says 1365x768

42" says 1280x768.

Different ratios. Also, my monitor isn't widescreen and it's running 1280x768. That's no 6:9 ratio. Did they make a mistake on the 42" res?

I'm going to be buying a 50" and Pioneer Aus confirmed that these will come with a built in HD Tuner, will a Topfield 7000 Set Top box via HDMI provide a much better PQ than the built in tuner?

I'm assuming the Topfield would have much better scalers etc in them.

I see the same model in the USA has twin digital tuners and a usb input for a digital card reader, for less than we will be paying in God's own country.

As per usual Pioneer Australia shafts it's local customers, just like the last model and the one before it - both had standard features on the overseas model removed (to the point of blanking out the card reader!) for our local model....

I don't get it - but then niether will Pioneer Australia - get my money that is - the Panasonic looks far better value to me....

I'm going to be buying a 50" and Pioneer Aus confirmed that these will come with a built in HD Tuner, will a Topfield 7000 Set Top box via HDMI provide a much better PQ than the built in tuner?

I'm assuming the Topfield would have much better scalers etc in them.

Ausht,

Only time will tell whether the Pioneer inbuilt digital tuner will be of reasonable quality or not.

But in terms of scaling, (I'm no expert) it is the TV which does the scaling, not the tuner.

So if the Topfield produces better PQ than the inbuilt tuner, it would be due to the Topfield being an inherantly better tuner, not because of scaling.

By the way, the advantage of having an inbuilt digital tuner is that it avoids the need of purchasing an external set top box.

So if the inbuilt tuner works well you shouldn't have any need for an external set top box - sure it may come in handy if you want to record FTA, but in that case it makes more sense to get a PVR or DVD recorder with inbuilt digital tuner to record.

With the upcoming Pioneer & Panasonic plasmas it will be interesting to see if their inbuilt tuners are of reasonable quality or not. The current LG plasma's inbuilt tuner is apparently appalling, which is surprising considering LG external set top boxes are generally very good. It may be the determining factor which swings us towards the Pioneer or Panasonic.

Only my thoughts, & happy to be corrected if required.

Hello peoples

I'm really happy to see that the 42inch model is only $5000, I thought it would be about $6500. It's the model I've been waiting months for an I'm screaming like a school girl now that I know it's coming out on the 4th.

Just a quick question since the new models won't come with the media unit thingy.

How do I go about connecting up everything to my TV concerning video?

Do I plug my PS3 via HDMI and Xbox 360 via component into my receiver and then a single HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV or will I need both an HDMI and component cable going from my receiver to TV aswell??

Do I plug my PS3 via HDMI and Xbox 360 via component into my receiver and then a single HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV or will I need both an HDMI and component cable going from my receiver to TV aswell??

It depends on wether your receiver can 'upscale' from component to HDMI or not.

If it does then you will just need the HDMI cable and switch inputs via the receiver otherwise you will need to run both HDMI and component and switch inputs on the plasma itself.

I'm guessing I'll need both then.

I'm thinking of getting the Sony STRDA1200ESB and on the site it says:-

"With solid build quality and supporting HDMI digital video switching @ 1080p resolution along with up-conversion of composite, S-Video sources to Component Video, the STRDA1200ES (1200ES) minimises the need for numerous connections."

and under specifications.

Video Converting

Composite to S-Video: Yes

Composite to Component: Yes

S-Video to Component: Yes

I guess that means I'll need both HDMI and component running from my receiver to TV?

I'm guessing I'll need both then.

I'm thinking of getting the Sony STRDA1200ESB and on the site it says:-

"With solid build quality and supporting HDMI digital video switching @ 1080p resolution along with up-conversion of composite, S-Video sources to Component Video, the STRDA1200ES (1200ES) minimises the need for numerous connections."

and under specifications.

Video Converting

Composite to S-Video: Yes

Composite to Component: Yes

S-Video to Component: Yes

I guess that means I'll need both HDMI and component running from my receiver to TV?

Yeah possibly, unless they just let you assume that it converts all of the above to HDMI as well. Look around for a diff receiver. Quite a few now upconvert to HDMI. Then all you do is plug everything into your receiver (dvd player, PS3, Xbox, STB etc) and have just ONE HDMI cable go from your receiver to your display.

Having said that tho, HDMI and component are very close in PQ, so if you can plug HDMI into your receiver and convert that to component (above?) then all you need is the component cables running to your display.

That article doesn't mention bottom speakers, just detachable side ones.

I thought the new Pana came with detachable bottom ones.

Direct cut & paste from the article:

"There are under-mounted speakers available for the 50 inch panel."

"A fully integrated one-body design on the 42 inch plasma and side-mounted, detachable speakers on the 50 inch 7th generation plasma screens use SRS(WOW)™ technology, which includes SRS Surround, TruBass® and Focus™ for superior audio quality. "

Also, I'm fairly certain panasonic's plasma speakers aren't detachable.