Panasonic Tx-32lxd600a

The panel IS Chinese - the joint factory between Panasonic, Toshiba & Hitachi.

Interestingly all internet searches lead me to believe that IPS Alpha Technology Ltd (Panasonic, Toshiba & Hitachi joint venture) is a Japanese based manufacturing company. Even their official website claim that their factory is in Mobara Japan. Do you have proof otherwise?

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It actually can record/play MPEG-4 videos although the recorded (set on "Extra Fine") video quality is quite poor when compared to HDTV/DVDs. I've verified the video file via my PC and it's indeed MPEG-4. I don't think the SD card recording is supposed to replace a PVR.

Hi Webmal,

The SD card thing sounds pretty cool. How much space does the MPEG-4 recording take, i.e. how long would you fit on a 1GB SD card?

Hi Webmal,

The SD card thing sounds pretty cool. How much space does the MPEG-4 recording take, i.e. how long would you fit on a 1GB SD card?

On "Extra Fine" (highest) recoding quality, you'll get almost 2 hours with a 1GB SD card. You'll get more recoding time with a lower quality setting but in my opinion anything other than "Extra Fine" is horrible.

Interestingly all internet searches lead me to believe that IPS Alpha Technology Ltd (Panasonic, Toshiba & Hitachi joint venture) is a Japanese based manufacturing company. Even their official website claim that their factory is in Mobara Japan. Do you have proof otherwise?

IPS was deveolped in Japan by a Japanese company, but the TX32LX500 and onwards where ALL manufacturered in China.

The TX32LWD500 says Made in Australia, but is Chinese components assembled in Australia to bundle the HD tuner.

Check around at LCD factories - there aren't many - I think my list is fairly comprehensive, just 4 factories in the world

...the TX32LX500 and onwards where ALL manufacturered in China.

Without any proof, I seriously doubt your words. Most people would rather trust Panasonic, Toshiba & Hitachi claiming that their IPS LCD panels are made in Japan, why would all 3 companies lie? Besides, the shipping box states that it's made in Japan and it's also stated as made in Japan on the rear of the TV :blink:

On "Extra Fine" (highest) recoding quality, you'll get almost 2 hours with a 1GB SD card. You'll get more recoding time with a lower quality setting but in my opinion anything other than "Extra Fine" is horrible.

Thanks Webmal,

Do you use the SD card for recording, or do you think it is more of a gimmick?

Do you use the SD card for recording, or do you think it is more of a gimmick?

I use it since I haven't bought a PVR yet. It's good in emergencies, like when your PVR is broken or if like me, in the midst of buying a new PVR. As I said earlier, I don't think the SD card recording is supposed to replace a PVR.

Picked up the 32inch today from Bing Lee Bankstown with and additional 4 years warrenty.

Awesome TV. So far watched through the HD Tuner, looks sweet.

Normal Xbox Via XBMC watching 350mb TV rips. Much better than the old CRT. Will start downloading the HD Rips from now on.

Foxtel through composite cables looks outstanding!

Looking through the menu the TV theres a software update option. How does one obtain these when available?

Picked up the 32inch today from Bing Lee Bankstown with and additional 4 years warrenty.

Awesome TV. So far watched through the HD Tuner, looks sweet.

Normal Xbox Via XBMC watching 350mb TV rips. Much better than the old CRT. Will start downloading the HD Rips from now on.

Foxtel through composite cables looks outstanding!

Looking through the menu the TV theres a software update option. How does one obtain these when available?

If you have it on automatic it updates the software automatically when made available by the networks.

ALL HAIL IPS ALPHA TECHNOLOGY.

Easily the best picture I've come across. Upscaled dvd's have never looked so good. Strong reception across all channels. I can't stop flicking between analogue, SD, and HD programs for the difference in picture quality. Amazing.

I'm glad I didn't fall for Sony's million dollar marketing scam otherwise I would have ended up with one of their gift wrapped turds. Not even the S-PVA X series holds up to IPS. Way too blurry for my liking.

If you have it on automatic it updates the software automatically when made available by the networks.

Which will never happen in Australia.

I'll hail it when I see it for myself and compare it with the latest Samsung panels, thanks all the same :blink:

Easily the best picture I've come across. Upscaled dvd's have never looked so good. Strong reception across all channels.

Upscaling quality and reception strength have zero to do with the panel technology used.

I'm glad I didn't fall for Sony's million dollar marketing scam otherwise I would have ended up with one of their gift wrapped turds. Not even the S-PVA X series holds up to IPS. Way too blurry for my liking.

As I said, I'll see for myself. I saw no "blurring" on the first-generation Samsung/Sony panels.

I'm glad I didn't fall for Sony's million dollar marketing scam otherwise I would have ended up with one of their gift wrapped turds.

According to several online reviews of LCD monitors (no TV yet as this Pana is the first), IPS panels are renowned for better colour and viewing angle than any other LCDs. I believe that's why graphics and design professionals pay a huge premium for high end Apple and Eizo monitors which use IPS panels. I'm also amazed how Sony can charge more for their inferior LCD panels, I guess people bought their marketing :blink:

Easily the best picture I've come across. Upscaled dvd's have never looked so good. Strong reception across all channels. I can't stop flicking between analogue, SD, and HD programs for the difference in picture quality. Amazing.

Coolness. Is everyones latest software version 1.02?

Tested the Empire Strikes Back through XBMC upscaled to 720p, blown away by the quality :blink: Same with the Xbox 360.

Agreed on the IPS remarks, really hope Panasonic make bigger panels next year with these Panels when its time to buy a 40 - 46incher.

Is everyones latest software version 1.02?

RabidWolve, my software is version 1.02. I believe when I got it was version 1.01, hence the automatic updates does work. I know because I own one, Neon Kitten doesn't know jack :blink:

According to several online reviews of LCD monitors (no TV yet as this Pana is the first), IPS panels are renowned for better colour and viewing angle than any other LCDs. I believe that's why graphics and design professionals pay a huge premium for high end Apple and Eizo monitors which use IPS panels. I'm also amazed how Sony can charge more for their inferior LCD panels, I guess people bought their marketing :blink:

You must be trolling right?

If LCD sets are used by graphics and design professionals (most are still using CRTs BTW) IPS panels are preferable because of their ability to better maintain black level/contrast accross a wide angle, but these are used specifically for use with 'still' images. IPS panel have specific problems dealing with fast moving, panning images, which are dealt with in a variety of ways by different manufacturers.

Sony's S-PVA panels are excellent at maintaining contrast/colour levels across a wide viewing angle, have far better colour reproduction than the X60/X600 Panasonic sets and have no problems with panning/moving images + you can control the backlight unlike the Pana sets.

BTW the real bargains at the moment are the older 'V' Bravia sets, they have far better connections than the newer 'V' models and they also have the 'controllable' Wega engine for analog connections.

RabidWolve, my software is version 1.02. I believe when I got it was version 1.01, hence the automatic updates does work. I know because I own one, Neon Kitten doesn't know jack :blink:

Thanks webmal.

Thats good to hear.

Another thing has anyone tried this LCD with an Xbox 360 with an offical VGA cable?

How does it compare with Component?

You must be trolling right?

If LCD sets are used by graphics and design professionals (most are still using CRTs BTW) IPS panels are preferable because of their ability to better maintain black level/contrast accross a wide angle, but these are used specifically for use with 'still' images. IPS panel have specific problems dealing with fast moving, panning images, which are dealt with in a variety of ways by different manufacturers.

Sony's S-PVA panels are excellent at maintaining contrast/colour levels across a wide viewing angle, have far better colour reproduction than the X60/X600 Panasonic sets and have no problems with panning/moving images + you can control the backlight unlike the Pana sets.

BTW the real bargains at the moment are the older 'V' Bravia sets, they have far better connections than the newer 'V' models and they also have the 'controllable' Wega engine for analog connections.

Man, Now I'm really convinced half the people on this forum are employed by Sony.

Have a look at what this guy is trying to sell. It's got Sony Salesman written all over it.

I know because I own one, Neon Kitten doesn't know jack :blink:

Err, whatever. You've spent thousands on a new TV. It's in your own ego's interest to reassure yourself you bought the best.

As I said, when I can see the new Panasonic and the new Sony side by side I'll decide for myself. You singing the praises of IPS panels from the rooftops isn't reason enough for me to just rush out and buy one.

does this mean it would be fine as a mp4 on a video ipod?

- Goldcoaster

How does this work. Does Panasonic pay the Studios to send their updates.

Does this mean that in the future they can automatically send an update to block copying TV shows?

- Goldcoaster

• 1 month later...
Err, whatever. You've spent thousands on a new TV. It's in your own ego's interest to reassure yourself you bought the best.

As I said, when I can see the new Panasonic and the new Sony side by side I'll decide for myself. You singing the praises of IPS panels from the rooftops isn't reason enough for me to just rush out and buy one.

So Neon Kitten, have you had a chance to compare the new Sony and the Panasonic LCDs yet. After reading about all the apparrent problems with the panels on the new Samsung R series, and the "patchy clouds" on the new X series bravias, I'm now considering the new Panasonic TX-32LXD600A. I have also been looking at the bravia V series, (X series is way overpriced anyway), and while I have not heard about any problems with the V series panels, the problem with the X series is kind of putting me off a bit.

So I'd be interested to know if you have had a chance to compare the 2 panels.

You know, I've had my trusty Panasonic 61cm CRT for more then 10 years now. I watch DTV on it through a Topfield PVR and the PQ is very good for what it is. After reading about all these problems with LCD panels (and plasmas, and rear projection LCDs and .............etc. etc. etc), I'm starting to think I'm better off sticking with my CRT. I tinker as much as anyone, but watching TV is supposed to be a no brainer exercise, you turn it on and it works. I was going to venture into the world of HD tv screens, and LCD in particular, as I only want a maximum 80cm screen, but now I'm not so sure. You would think that after so many years all the problems with these technologies would have been ironed out by now, apparently not. It's pretty disappointing really, considering the money that you have to shelve out.

dclayw, according to several hundred owners of the Pana TX-32LXD600, it has no serious faults unlike the Sony.

Hence I believe the TX-32LXD600 is a safe buy.

Yeah, thanks for that. Well, I've read a little about this IPS Alpha panel technology now. It seems they run hot, like quite a bit hotter then other panel technology. Something to do with having twice as many transistors/capacitors then say PVA panel technology, or something like that. I live in Brisbane and have no air-con, so this could be a problem for me.

Also, it seems this type of panel does not handle fast motion as well as say the PVA panels, I got that from tech reports, not from forums. Did you find this to be the case when you were comparing say the new Bravias with this Panasonic. I haven't actually noticed one of these Panasonics in store yet, but I wasn't actually looking for them. I'm not putting this Panasonic down, just after some info from people who own one. There does not seem to be too much information around on this TV. From my reseacrh this past few weeks, I'm inclining to stick with CRT, cheaper and better PQ for what I want. (I only heed 81cm).

dclayw, I doubt it gets hotter than other panels. I used a non-contact IR digital thermometer on my Dell 2407WFP (S-PVA) and Pana 32LXD600A (S-IPS) and there's negligible difference in temperature.

Most online reviews say that PVA panels have superior response time and contrast ratio while IPS panels are renowned for better colour and viewing angle. I think it's true since most monitors for gamers use PVA panels while most graphics and professional monitors (Apple, Eizo) use IPS panels. This IPS Alpha panel technology is unique since it has overcome those disadvantages, now it has a similar response time and contrast ratio to PVA while maintaining better colour and viewing angle.

Just found this interesting flash demo (click the 2 options on right side) of IPS Alpha panel technology.

On a side note, I think buyers and manufacturers put such a huge emphasis on the visual advantages of HDTV that audio is often overlooked. George Lucas himself said audio is half of the entire movie experience.

Most HDTV has only 2 or 4 speakers. The 32LXD600A is special, it has 6 speakers that distribute sound over a wide listening area. It uses separate twin passive radiator woofers to produce a tight, rich, robust bass.

Why bother buying a HDTV only to hear rubbish quality sound?

So Neon Kitten, have you had a chance to compare the new Sony and the Panasonic LCDs yet.

Yes - I got to see them side by side (literally!) the other week, both running off their internal DVB tuners (sadly a rarity - sorry, Myer and Sony Central, but demo-ing TVs using an HD feed from a PC is, well, cheating the customer).

My verdict - as I think I recounted in another thread a couple of weeks ago - was that the Sony hands-down outdid the Panasonic in terms of picture quality in the areas of colour accuracy, black levels, and general clarity. On the other hand, the Sony showed up artifacts in SD sources more readily than the Panasonic (what was being screened, annoyingly, was Seven's pseudo-HD channel, and the salesman refused to let me have access to the remotes to try other channels or sources).

The Panasonic's claimed superiority over the Sony in terms of viewing angle is, I can confirm, a complete myth: both were on par with each other in that department. Ultimately I came away convinced the Sony had the superior picture - but then, seeing the two again at another store the following week, the difference seemed less (however, that store was running a distributed HD digital TV feed via component, and we all know what distribution amps can do!)

Oh, and the models I was comparing were the 32" (81cm) Panasonic 600 and the 32" Sony V2000 series. FWIW, comparing the V with Sony's X on the same source (this time on 40" displays) in three different stores revealed that - at least at default settings, presuming that's what they were on - the X did a vastly better job of scaling an SD source, but was *massively* less colour-saturated; indeed, the V looked almost artificially saturated by comparison.

After reading about all the apparrent problems with the panels on the new Samsung R series, and the "patchy clouds" on the new X series bravias, I'm now considering the new Panasonic TX-32LXD600A. I have also been looking at the bravia V series, (X series is way overpriced anyway), and while I have not heard about any problems with the V series panels, the problem with the X series is kind of putting me off a bit.

I wouldn't be too worried about the V - they are completely different panels, for one thing, as evidenced by their very, very different behaviour with program material. Indeed, I'd have a 32" V series in my lounge room right now if only Sony hadn't cheated us out of a decent set of video inputs on the current range. That alone was enough to make me go "fine, I'll wait till after Xmas and see what happens"...

You know, I've had my trusty Panasonic 61cm CRT for more then 10 years now.

Which model is it? Because my own trusty Panasonic CRT - the original TV that was marketed as "The One", the TC-68A61 - has served me well for close to 16 years now. It's losing its ability to control overscan (!!!!) but in terms of actual picture quality it's remarkable for a CRT of its age. However, it does need replacing. But I'll salute it as it leaves, an example of superb consumer electronics engineering that's built to last. And made, no less, in Sydney :D

Lots of inputs, too. S-Video on every single one (component didn't exist at the time). Sony should learn something from that; having composite-only inputs in bulk on a $3000 HD TV is a complete joke.

I watch DTV on it through a Topfield PVR and the PQ is very good for what it is. After reading about all these problems with LCD panels (and plasmas, and rear projection LCDs and .............etc. etc. etc), I'm starting to think I'm better off sticking with my CRT. I tinker as much as anyone, but watching TV is supposed to be a no brainer exercise, you turn it on and it works.

Well, if it helps, my parents bought the previous Panasonic 32" LCD (the 500a) and they're delighted with it - and every time I go over there I'm blown away by the picture quality. And that one's not even close to top of the line in LCDs :P

Honestly, I could be happy with pretty much any of the brand-name LCD TVs available at the moment. But being both a perfectionist and someone who likes avoiding work-arounds, I want whatever TV I buy to not only meet my input needs now (and the Sony doesn't even do that) but to offer some expandability for the future. I'd suggest as a bare minimum 2 HDMI inputs, 2 component and S-Video on every one.

I was going to venture into the world of HD tv screens, and LCD in particular, as I only want a maximum 80cm screen, but now I'm not so sure. You would think that after so many years all the problems with these technologies would have been ironed out by now, apparently not. It's pretty disappointing really, considering the money that you have to shelve out.

Actually, I think you'll find problems like these are few. The Sony X series with its "clouds" and the Thai-made Samsung R series with its nasty backlight bleed are obviously bulk manufacturing faults, and they're not common occurrences. As always, read these forums and watch what others say about anything you're thinking of buying. But rest assured, if your 10-year-old CRT looks anything like my 16-year-old one, you'll be perfectly happy with it until you see a good quality 16"9 LCD in its place. Then you'll wonder how you ever put up with that old thing for so long :blink: