Sign in to follow this  
Altair

Panasonic Tx-32lxd600a

Hi, After reading the whole of this thread and doing much walking, viewing and reading I am convinced that the 600A is the TV for me (My shortlist was Sony KDL32V2000, Samsung LA32R71BDX and the LG 32LC2D).

Now I have to find the cheapest price in the South East suburbs of Melbourne. It seems that $1700 plus extended warranty charge is the current "best price" I understand JB have just ticketed the item at $1794 (so I'm sure they would drop a $100??)

Would appreciate any recent prices achieved in the Southland/Chadstone/Moorabbin areas.

Thanks

Try HN at Chaddy ...speak to Michael Parfiti (salesman) he got me one for $1700

New owners of this TV can you tell me what version system software/bios it is running?

Also for the PIP function can you display a component 720P picture with another source? Either DTV or Foxtel?

I will be trying this very soon. I have a new Myth box (linux based hard disk video recorder) I am building with a video card that has VGA, S-Video, and DVI outputs.

Do you know of any cheap converters, or cables with DVI on one end and HDMI on the other? Do JB sell them?

Haven't tried DVI yet, but using the VGA input, I'm getting a really great picture. It's great having a tv guide based hard disk recorder with dual digital tuners (my new myth box), and a great display like this Panasonic on which to play them back. :blink:

Gosh ... This TV is sure becoming hot fav. for 32" section

Tried 4 stores .. no Stock (S.east melbourne)

Finally Bought it from Harvey Norman Nunawading $1660 Cash Price

Great PQ, Great HD Tuner, Perfect Sound ... Fits snugly in my bedroom :blink:

Only disappointment no acc. in the box , just the remote ... I expected at least an A/V cable ...

Gosh ... This TV is sure becoming hot fav. for 32" section

Tried 4 stores .. no Stock (S.east melbourne)

Finally Bought it from Harvey Norman Nunawading $1660 Cash Price

Great PQ, Great HD Tuner, Perfect Sound ... Fits snugly in my bedroom :D

Only disappointment no acc. in the box , just the remote ... I expected at least an A/V cable ...

How many? The things got 4 AV inputs, as well as 2 HDMI and a VGA ! :blink:

Good price btw. I snagged one for $1675 recently and thought I did well. I've had it a week and no disappointments at all. It's a great TV.

How many? The things got 4 AV inputs, as well as 2 HDMI and a VGA ! :blink:

Fair enough, probably an HDMI cable should be shipped with every LCD/Plasma TV

Any ideas which is the best way to connect my laptop (has both VGA & DVI-D) to the Pana ?

a) VGA - VGA (analogue) ?

:D DVI-D - HDMI (should work ?) ... they are cheap now http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=dvi+hdmi

Was fiddling around with the menu and stumbled upon a GNU agreement (72) pages .... Wow they probably used the GNU source code to build upon DVB-T Tuner application .. Cool ...

Also, in the near future ... would Pana decide to upgrade firmware .. I hope it should be possible to ugrade firware using SD ? Nevertheless great TV

Edited by auziegway

Fair enough, probably an HDMI cable should be shipped with every LCD/Plasma TV

Any ideas which is the best way to connect my laptop (has both VGA & DVI-D) to the Pana ?

a) VGA - VGA (analogue) ?

:blink: DVI-D - HDMI (should work ?) ... they are cheap now http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=dvi+hdmi

Was fiddling around with the menu and stumbled upon a GNU agreement (72) pages .... Wow they probably used the GNU source code to build upon DVB-T Tuner application .. Cool ...

Also, in the near future ... would Pana decide to upgrade firmware .. I hope it should be possible to ugrade firware using SD ? Nevertheless great TV

Option B is pure digital and therefore should be cleanest (best?). I find VGA works very well though.

Where did you find the GNU agreement on the menu?

(and I hope you are right about firmware updates via SD card. That would be very easy.)

On the other hand, I can't fit the 32" panny, but I CAN fit the 32" Sony (because its speakers are at the bottom of the screen rather than the sides...).

Sounds like you have the same A/V system wall unit as I do (mine's a really, really shoddily-made one from NZ company Criterion, which cost way too much and started falling apart weeks after I got it... that said, it HAS lasted 15 years now :blink:)

I'd go the Sony 40" W series tomorrow if I could get one, and dump the furniture. However I refuse to buy the X series until they make it available in black WITHOUT paying another $600-700 for a $10 bit of black plastic :D

Option B is pure digital and therefore should be cleanest (best?). I find VGA works very well though.

Where did you find the GNU agreement on the menu?

(and I hope you are right about firmware updates via SD card. That would be very easy.)

Under Setup Menu ... System Update .. DVB System Update there's a software license .. have a look at that

Also, in the near future ... would Pana decide to upgrade firmware .. I hope it should be possible to ugrade firware using SD ?

Even easier, upgrade is transmitted! :blink:

Even easier, upgrade is transmitted! :blink:

By who, exactly? Not the networks, that's for sure.

I just put a deposit down on this LCD. Got it for $1600 cash price at JB. Even got a free LCD wipe probably only worth 3cent. I was wondering bout warranty tho. My feeling is never buy a extended warranty. I never had for any other appliance and I never really had a major 1 break down within a warranty or extended warranty period.

JB were offrering the warranty for 5 years at $180 discounted price. 1 hour before DSE would have given me 5 years at $120 which is another reason I didnt get the warranty from JB. So is the warranty worth it. Has any of the owners had any issues and can you get a warranty direct from Panasonic for cheaper?

Just ordered one of these too for 1655 in brisbane. Went to 7 different places and only JB Macgregor had it in stock but wanted 1750 for it. Happy to wait until end of the month for delivery.

There was some discussion earlier in this thread about the recording via SD card and how poor the quality was. Well, I have to agree, but if anyone is interested I recently bought an iPAQ pocket pc, basically a runout model and got it cheap. It's an iPAQ rx1950. I installed TCPMP on it, (a freeware media player for the pocket pc). TCPMP is one of the few players that can read ASF files, which is what the Panasonic TV records on the SD card.

Bottom line is you can record on the SD card on the TV then plug the SD card straight into the iPAQ and play it back. Quality is ofcourse not an issue on a screen this size. Now I can record may favourite shows/movies or whatever and watch them on my iPAQ. I'm using 2GB SD cards by the way, purchased on ebay for $20.

There was some discussion earlier in this thread about the recording via SD card and how poor the quality was. Well, I have to agree, but if anyone is interested I recently bought an iPAQ pocket pc, basically a runout model and got it cheap. It's an iPAQ rx1950. I installed TCPMP on it, (a freeware media player for the pocket pc). TCPMP is one of the few players that can read ASF files, which is what the Panasonic TV records on the SD card.

Bottom line is you can record on the SD card on the TV then plug the SD card straight into the iPAQ and play it back. Quality is ofcourse not an issue on a screen this size. Now I can record may favourite shows/movies or whatever and watch them on my iPAQ. I'm using 2GB SD cards by the way, purchased on ebay for $20.

This is why i also think the SD card recording is a great idea with this TV!

Where is the cheapest place to pick up this TV at the moment?

Cheapest I was able to find was $1600 at DSE Powerhouse.

FYI,

if anyone is interested, just bought a TX-32LX60A for $1100 by M/C from Bing Lee. It is advertised for $1199.

Thinking of getting this panel but am not sure about the backlighting control. Have noticed that many have said they had problems with the auto backlighting feature. From what i've read the backlighting control can only be adjusted from the service menu otherwise your stuck with the presets. Is this right? Has anyone actually adjusted the backlighting from the service menu and have seen any benefits?

Also considering the Sony KDL32V2000 and the Hitachi 32LD960DTA as they both have backlighting control on the OSD. The Sony is pricier and had limited inputs (esp. only 1 HDMI). The Hitachi is evenly priced as the Panasonic and uses the same technology but has the advantage of having 2 components rather then 1. The only thing that is missing from the Hitachi is no SPDIF out. I believe both the Panasonics and Sony are made in Japan, not too sure about Hitachi.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I have put down deposit for this unit. purchase price $1600 + $150 for 4 years addtitional warranty. but i have to wait till next week, as nobody seems to have any stock. i have called binglee bankstown, good guys bankstown, DSE powerhouse bankstown but no one has stock. and if you do not have stock, how do you negotiate.

as for worth of warranty, i had a small power supply glitch in my fujitsu hd-plasma which costs me cool $500. they admitted it was only a $2 capacitor, but the diagnostic time & testing time etc meant they slugged me with $500. so i would rather pay $150 than risk a heft bill later.

also, i had to take back my 20" CRT Samsung after exactly one year due to screen sizing issue. thank god i was under warranty - because the repair bill (charged to samsung) was $320 - for a TV which i got for $290 !!!!! apparently they had to replace the entire main PCB.

would be interesting to hear other members opinions on this issue.

Anyone know the price of the wall mount (TY-WK32LX20W)? Was it negotiable?

Thinking of getting this panel but am not sure about the backlighting control. Have noticed that many have said they had problems with the auto backlighting feature. From what i've read the backlighting control can only be adjusted from the service menu otherwise your stuck with the presets. Is this right? Has anyone actually adjusted the backlighting from the service menu and have seen any benefits?

Also considering the Sony KDL32V2000 and the Hitachi 32LD960DTA as they both have backlighting control on the OSD. The Sony is pricier and had limited inputs (esp. only 1 HDMI). The Hitachi is evenly priced as the Panasonic and uses the same technology but has the advantage of having 2 components rather then 1. The only thing that is missing from the Hitachi is no SPDIF out. I believe both the Panasonics and Sony are made in Japan, not too sure about Hitachi.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

There was some talk a while back about adjusting the backlight from the service menu but I don't think anyone ever did it sucessfully. You might want to check on the AV forums in the UK, there is a lot of info in there on this TV.

I can't remember what settings I have on the TV right now but once I set it up I have not changed it (I've had the TV about 3-4 months now). The inability to adjust the backlight has not been a problem. I guess you get used to what you have but it's not an issue for me. The only thing I notice occasionally is when you get an add or something that has an almost totally white background. That is quite bright but it's not really a problem. For most viewing conditions the backlight is fine. My TV is in a very bright room (lots of sunlight), so viewing conditions are from very bright sunlit room to totally dark and the TV pretty much handles it all without adjusting any settings (once you do the initial setup).

I'm not tring to plug the the TV but I think this backlight issue is highly overstated, if it is a problem at all then it is only a very minor one. The other benefits of the TV like better inputs and IMHO better PQ then any of it's competitors far outweigh the inability to adjust the backlight.

can you get a warranty direct from Panasonic for cheaper?

When I bought my Panasonic home theatre receiver last year, included inside the box amongst the paperwork was an order form for an extended warranty that could be purchased from Panasonic Australia. (I had already bought an extended warranty from the retailer, and would have preferred to buy from Panasonic.)

Can any owners of the 32LXD600A advise whether there was a Panasonic extended warranty offer in the box?

Cheers

There was some talk a while back about adjusting the backlight from the service menu but I don't think anyone ever did it sucessfully. You might want to check on the AV forums in the UK, there is a lot of info in there on this TV.

I can't remember what settings I have on the TV right now but once I set it up I have not changed it (I've had the TV about 3-4 months now). The inability to adjust the backlight has not been a problem. I guess you get used to what you have but it's not an issue for me. The only thing I notice occasionally is when you get an add or something that has an almost totally white background. That is quite bright but it's not really a problem. For most viewing conditions the backlight is fine. My TV is in a very bright room (lots of sunlight), so viewing conditions are from very bright sunlit room to totally dark and the TV pretty much handles it all without adjusting any settings (once you do the initial setup).

I'm not tring to plug the the TV but I think this backlight issue is highly overstated, if it is a problem at all then it is only a very minor one. The other benefits of the TV like better inputs and IMHO better PQ then any of it's competitors far outweigh the inability to adjust the backlight.

Thanks for the reply dclayw. Had a looked at the Sony compared to the Panasonic today at Myers Melbourne CBD store. The Sony picture did look slightly better then the Panasonic. Not sure if this was whether to the enhanced settings that may be adjusted on the Sony or not though. The color on the Sony did look more vibrant and looked good on scenes with colourful backdrops. The Panasonic had a more natural colour. The Sony's colour maybe was to enhanced but it did look good to the eye at first glance. Noticed that the black level on the Sony was also slightly better. The viewing angle on both sets were pretty much the same as I couldn't determine a difference. The Sony is $500 more but is limited in inputs. The Panasonic can be had for $1600 as others have reported but is currently out of stock everywhere. Maybe the Hitachi 32LD960DTA which is similar to the Panasonic in both technology and price is the go?