Panasonic Tx-32lxd600a

** BUMP **

Would save me a trip to the shopping centre if somebody could have a quick look at the back of their tv.......please.......pretty please! :wub:

Had a look at Panasonic's site as I intend to buy this tv in the next couple of days and want to wall mount it. The mounting hole pattern is 339mm x 120mm (definitely not VESA compliant).

Have a look at http://www.gfm.net.au/31-55__swing_arm.html, this will definitely fit the tv and looks to be quite good. I've just emailed them to find out the price, so can't help you with that.

Speaking of price - what's the best price you've found for the tv and where? I'm from Melbourne and most of the big chains have it ticketed at $1,999 (Harvey Norman, Good Guys, Clive Peeters) or $1,899 (Myer, Dick Smith). Retravision have it on special in their current catalogue (sale ends 22/02/07) at $1,798.

When I rang around the big chains and quoted the Retravision price, they all said come in and see us as we can definitely beat that price. So with a bit of leg work and playing them off against each other I should be able get one for around $1,700. I'd be interested to hear your best price.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a look at Panasonic's site as I intend to buy this tv in the next couple of days and want to wall mount it. The mounting hole pattern is 339mm x 120mm (definitely not VESA compliant).

Have a look at http://www.gfm.net.au/31-55__swing_arm.html, this will definitely fit the tv and looks to be quite good. I've just emailed them to find out the price, so can't help you with that.

Ah crap. Thanks anyway guys. @c2grh, that mount looks nice, but the minimum height is 180mm, and you say the Pana holes are 120mm - could be a major problem. It may well be that I'll have to forget the Pana and look at other brands e.g. Sony and Samsung, unless they turn out to have the same issue......

Having read the specs on the Panny, I'm curious about how it all works with non-HDMI sources. Say you're running a component DVD player and something else with DVI. Although there are two audio inputs, it looks as if there is only one audio input shared between the HDMI/PC/component video sources. My question in other words is whether the audio and the video inputs may be selected independently? Also, regarding the audio output, does the telly pass-through whatever it is receiving, or does this output possibly only refer to that from the integrated tuners?

If I could fit a 32" panel in my TV cabinet I would get the Panasonic....

Naturally it's very subjective - and heavily dependent on manufacturers' default settings - but the few times I've seen the Panasonic 600A and the Sony V series (both 32") side by side in stores, the Sony wins hands down every time on picture quality and black level. And despite the claims about the magical viewing-angle proerties of the "IPS Alpha" panels, the two were in reality completely on par as far as viewing angle was concerned.

Naturally it's very subjective - and heavily dependent on manufacturers' default settings - but the few times I've seen the Panasonic 600A and the Sony V series (both 32") side by side in stores, the Sony wins hands down every time on picture quality and black level. And despite the claims about the magical viewing-angle proerties of the "IPS Alpha" panels, the two were in reality completely on par as far as viewing angle was concerned.

I finally got a response from Good Guys...and they are happy to allow us to return both our TV's (my friends and mine) to swap them for something else.

They are pretty keen to allow me to bring in my Video Essentials DVD to test some TV's out in the store. They are also willing to set up TV's side-by-side so that we can do a comparison...in a more dim environment.

I plan to compare the 26" and 32" lxd600a's side-by-side along with the Sony V series 32". I have a feeling that I am not going to be that impressed with teh 32" Pana. I looked at the 32" panny in Myer the other day and still noticed poor black levels...overly glowing backlight which is what annoys me so much on the 26" model.

I also think that the calibration of the color temps on these sets is horribly wrong. The 'warm' setting is very very red...while the 'normal' temp is too blue! So with a proper calibration things could improve dramatically. HOwever I am not that convinced that the glowing backlight can be eliminated completely.

I know the backlight level can be reduced via the service menu, and it makes an impressive improvement to the PQ (not that I've tried... :blink: ), but the down-side to that is you loose the contrast in the picture too!

I have read quite a few posts in other forums from people with the 32lxd600 who are still complaining about poor black levels and glowing backlight...

Is there REALLY that much difference between the PQ of the 26 versus the 32 lxd600a? I will know before the end of today....if all goes well.

Goodguys have said I can have the SOny 32" V series for $2150...seems a good price...but in my opinion way too much money for a bedroom TV..

So here are my thoughts/findings after having viewed the 26" and 32" lxd600a's and the Sony V series 32"...all side-by-side. Teh Phillips 32" LCD with its ambilight was next door too, and if not for the size issue I might have chosen it!

Backlight issues aside...the 26" and 32" pana's are very close in terms of picture quality. We were watching them on their built-in HD tuners...channel 7 law & order, and we found it very hard to differentiate the difference....but like I said in the beginning...Backlight Issues aside.

The 26" panel has an unbearable backlight problem. If you watch the TV dead-straight on it looks fine, but you move your viewing angle even a few degrees, and there you go...milky white blacks...glowing backlight destroying the picture.

The 32" pana on the other hand maintains its blacks no matter what angle you;re on.

I still have a problem with the color temperature settings on the panny's. The warm setting is horribly red. Everyone on the screen looks like they're been in a solarium...

What about the Sony. Well, I was impressed with the menu options you have available...from Backlight adjustment, to Black level adjuster, contrast enhancer, two warm color temp settings, and the list goes on. However, the picture quality of the built-in tuner was ordinary to be franc.

I tried adjusting here and there to improve the picture, but nor I or my mate were convinced that the Sony was worth $400 more than the 32" panny! The color temp settings looked far more accurate than the Panasonic....no doubt there, but the detail in teh picture got lost on the Sony.

The panasonic showed the dimples and pimples and beard hair of the male actor in Law & Order (don't know his name), but along with all this amazing detail was heaps of picture noise...mosquito noise I think ts called.

The Sony just filtered all the noise out...but also took away alot of detail.

So in the end, I still don't have a solution. The guys at Good Guys essendon really are Good Guys. They showed ALOT of patience, and understanding that we simply aren't happy with the 26" with its poor black levels. On the other hand, I can't fit the 32" panny, but I CAN fit the 32" Sony (because its speakers are at the bottom of the screen rather than the sides...). BUt I'm not happy with the Sony's performance...

32" 600a picked up today for the in laws @ $1760 incl 5yr

At HN Chadstone

That is a great price. What was the ticket price and what is the standard warranty period?

I am going to buy this tv in the next day or so, and I intend to do the rounds of the major stores (including HN) using Retravision's current catalogue sale price of $1,798 as a starting point for them to beat.

I'm from Melbourne, so Chadstone is not a problem.

That is a great price. What was the ticket price and what is the standard warranty period?

Ticket was $1989 but the guy I know there said they average about $1700-1750 so I figure the $1600 (+10% Warrenty) figure isn't too hard to negotiate.

might be worth also trying DES Powerhouse in Carnegie or Nudawading as they had ticketed specials on this TV of around $1650 a week or so back.

Ticket was $1989 but the guy I know there said they average about $1700-1750 so I figure the $1600 (+10% Warrenty) figure isn't too hard to negotiate.

might be worth also trying DES Powerhouse in Carnegie or Nudawading as they had ticketed specials on this TV of around $1650 a week or so back.

Got it today for $1,699 at DSE Southland. Plus $160 to extend the warranty from 1 year to 5 years.

Got it today for $1,699 at DSE Southland. Plus $160 to extend the warranty from 1 year to 5 years.

Any progress on the wall mounting c2grh? It's the only thing stopping me from buying this tv. Or did that mount you linked on the previous page work out okay?

Any progress on the wall mounting c2grh? It's the only thing stopping me from buying this tv. Or did that mount you linked on the previous page work out okay?

Sorry about that link on the other page Madmax. After looking at it again you were right that the minimum height is 180mm, and therefore no good for the pana with it's 120mm height.

Haven't bought a mount as yet as I am trialling a couple of positions in the room before I decide whether I need tilt and/or swivel options or just a flat wall mount. By the way the pana flat wall mount you mention on the previous page is useless to me as it can only be attached to a stud wall with 450mm centres. My stud centres are 600mm which seems to be fairly standard in Australian houses built in the last 20 years or so.

Te following link http://www.qsphere.com.au/mounts.html could solve your mounting problem. A combination of mounts PBL18 and PBL20 will give you 180 degrees swivel and 15 degrees tilt as well as being able to be mounted to studs with 600mm centres (not sure of your wall construction). This would cost you $270 - not sure if that's what you're willing to pay.

Well this just gets better and better doesn't it...... :blink::P will investigate the stud distance soon, but am expecting the worst, and those mounts from qsphere are no good to me unfortunately......the hunt continues!

Price is no issue, I will pay anything to make it work! I don't want to have to buy the Samsung, but I think it's the only VESA compatible integrated screen out there!

[edit] Okay, some googling on the Sony 32" (whose mounting holes I measured to be 200 x 150mm or 200 x 170mm :D ) and I found this: "VESA compatible (requires SU-WL31 mounting bracket)", so I had a closer look, and it seems you have to attach the flat wall mount to the back of the tv, and this wall mount has holes for the VESA 200 x 100mm! Coud it be the same for the Pana?? And if not, perhaps holes could be drilled in the wall mount?? Messy, but perhaps possible??

[edit2] I see the Pana wall mount has no VESA holes, and a large void in the middle just to make it more difficult.....but it could be done by drilling holes 200 x 200mm just outside the void, then this Vogels mount becomes a possibility:

http://www.vogels.com/detail.asp?ISSAID=58...&ChildID=-1

by using the Vogels supplied converter rods to convert the vertical 200mm to 100mm.....as you can see, I really want this tv, and this Vogels mount is the nicest I've found......

[edit] Okay, some googling on the Sony 32" (whose mounting holes I measured to be 200 x 150mm or 200 x 170mm :blink: ) and I found this: "VESA compatible (requires SU-WL31 mounting bracket)", so I had a closer look, and it seems you have to attach the flat wall mount to the back of the tv, and this wall mount has holes for the VESA 200 x 100mm! Coud it be the same for the Pana?? And if not, perhaps holes could be drilled in the wall mount?? Messy, but perhaps possible??

I just swapped my 26lxd600a for the 32" Sony Bravia V' series...excellent TV I have to say. The sound is a little disappointing, but unbeatable for picture quality and black levels....if you adjust it properly that is...

http://www.lyris-lite.net/kdl32v2000_review.html

Is it possible to connect the PC through DVI->HDMI ??

I will be trying this very soon. I have a new Myth box (linux based hard disk video recorder) I am building with a video card that has VGA, S-Video, and DVI outputs.

Do you know of any cheap converters, or cables with DVI on one end and HDMI on the other? Do JB sell them?

Hi, After reading the whole of this thread and doing much walking, viewing and reading I am convinced that the 600A is the TV for me (My shortlist was Sony KDL32V2000, Samsung LA32R71BDX and the LG 32LC2D).

Now I have to find the cheapest price in the South East suburbs of Melbourne. It seems that $1700 plus extended warranty charge is the current "best price" I understand JB have just ticketed the item at $1794 (so I'm sure they would drop a $100??)

Would appreciate any recent prices achieved in the Southland/Chadstone/Moorabbin areas.

Thanks