Panasonic Tx-32lxd600a

I still haven't heard back from them...but I too have now seen an article that says only the 32" has the "Alpha" IPS panel. The 26" version is an IPS panel too, but it's not an "Alpha" one...whatever the heck that means?

I would think that most people would assume the 26" and 32" versions to be exactly the same TV but different sizes...especially when they both have the same model number...LXD600A...!

I will be taking this as far as I can go with Panasonic Australia....

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still haven't heard back from them...but I too have now seen an article that says only the 32" has the "Alpha" IPS panel. The 26" version is an IPS panel too, but it's not an "Alpha" one...whatever the heck that means?

I would think that most people would assume the 26" and 32" versions to be exactly the same TV but different sizes...especially when they both have the same model number...LXD600A...!

I will be taking this as far as I can go with Panasonic Australia....

I haven't purchased a set yet, but I too had assumed they'd be the same until I saw both in boxes on the floor of a Harvey Norman store - the 32" is a Japanese made set and the 26" is a Chinese made set, so different factories led me to think they'd probably be different panels/qualities.

Good luck, hope all goes well.

What sort of crap is that?

You go into a store and try on a pair of jeans size 32...they're a little loose around the waist, so you ask the girl behind the counter for a smaller size. Do you even consider that the smaller pair might be made out of a cheaper cotton than the larger size? Or that the size 30 jeans were made in China, while the 32's were made in Japan?

This is just crazy, misleading false marketing on Panasonics behalf, and I am not impressed at all....

Still no contact from Panasonic...

As you can see, only the 32" 600A is using the renowned IPS ALPHA panel.

Yes I was aware "32 IPS Alpha panel", "26 IPS panel", but, both on the carton & back of TV wording that states "made in Japan", how can people tell that the IPS was made in China/Korea? :blink:

Looch

how can people tell that the IPS was made in China/Korea?

Over 90% of LCD panels (IPS or otherwise) are made in China/Korea. The TV maybe assembled elsewhere e.g. Sony high end LCD line; assembled in Japan with Korean made panels.

AFAIK besides IPS Alpha Technology Ltd (Panasonic, Toshiba & Hitachi joint venture), only Sharp has LCD panel manufacturing facilities in Japan.

According to IPS Alpha official website, their production facility is located in Mobara, Japan. They're building a second factory in Czech Republic which will start production later this year.

Over 90% of LCD panels (IPS or otherwise) are made in China/Korea. The TV maybe be assembled elsewhere e.g. Sony high end LCD line; assembled in Japan with Korean made panels.

Ta webmail, explained like a true enthusiast. Anyway, decision made, all I wanted was a 26 inches mainly for portability & there isn't much around with an inbuilt tuner in that size (apart from the Baumann Meyer, too dear & Samsung) & comparing it to the Samsung (2nd choice) the PQ & sound was a lot better.

Is the Alpha panel like chalk & cheese compared to the IPS one?

Steffche, best of luck from me too.

Looch

Ta webmail, explained like a true enthusiast. Anyway, decision made, all I wanted was a 26 inches mainly for portability & there isn't much around with an inbuilt tuner in that size (apart from the Baumann Meyer, too dear & Samsung) & comparing it to the Samsung (2nd choice) the PQ & sound was a lot better.

Looch

I am expecting a call back from Panasonic this morning. Get this...yesterday they couldn't give me an answer to my question, which was "Is there a difference between the 26" and 32" panels appart from the screen size?". The guy said that he tried to contact an engineer to get an answer, but the engineer was not in until today...and that he would contact me as soon as he got a definitive answer. So even the people working at Panasonic don't have clue about the difference between these two panels. How can they expect the consumer to know? The sales people working in the likes of JB HIFI, Harvey Norman, Good Guys etc don't even know the difference!

I believe that Panasonic should have changed the model number to be completeley different between the two TVs. But to have LXD600A in both models, and the first two digits to signify the size difference should mean that everyting else about the TV's is the same.

Having said all this...I must say that I don't know for certain that the 32" panel would look THAT much better in my bedroom against the 26". Afterall, I never had the opportunity to compare them side-by-side in the shops. (Who would have thought that was necessary to compare two screens of the same model but different size!!!). I did what 99.9% of people would do...compare two different brands side-by-side. I compared the Sony, Sharp, Panasonic...as to me they were the three contenders.

In teh shop I honestly thought the Panasonic was on par with the others in terms of PQ, and the fact that it had the built-in tuner was a bonus...so it was an obvious choice. However, it was the 32" that I was comparing against!!!

Trouble is, that assuming Panasonic are generous, and do the right thing an swap it for a 32"...it won't fit in my TV cabinet...hence why I chose the 26" in the first place. So what do I do then eh?

Swap it to a different brand. Samsung, LG, or Sony. Sony is the best but also the most expensive.

I know, the Sony did have a great picture, but then I have to buy an external STB...plus my DVD player....it adds up to too much gear for the bedroom cabinet to handle.

Does anyone honestly believe that Panasonic will even consider giving me my money back...?

Does anyone honestly believe that Panasonic will even consider giving me my money back...?

Do NOT ask Panasonic. They will of course say no.

How long have you had the set for? You can always ask JB for a refund. If they say no then you have no choice other than exchange. Samsung LCDs are pretty decent IMO. With the price of a Sony you can get a Samsung plus an STB. You only need an SD STB anyway for a screen that size, and todays SD STB are pretty tiny.

Trouble is, that assuming Panasonic are generous, and do the right thing an swap it for a 32"...it won't fit in my TV cabinet...hence why I chose the 26" in the first place. So what do I do then eh?

Hmmm, maybe get a new cabinet? Think of it as a long-term investment, cos 26" is pretty small. IMHO 32" should be the minimum size for a bedroom tv. And it will be a much better tv in this case (I don't think you'll have any trouble swapping it for the 32" and paying the difference - you have a fair case).

I've had the TV for 14 days now....and I bought it from Good Guys. Don't know what their policy is on refunds or exchanges...

In that case you better hurry and ask GG. Most retailers have 14 days policy for refund/exchanges.

I also second Madmax's suggestion. It's not that expensive to buy a cabinet for the bedroom and you'll get long term enjoyment out of it.

On paper, IPS Alpha is like chalk and cheese compared to regular IPS.
IPS Alpha is 4th generation IPS technology (IPS-Pro).
Regular IPS is 2nd generation IPS technology (S-IPS).
Note:
The main commercial supplier of IPS panels is LG.Philips LCD besides IPS Alpha Technology Ltd.
AS-IPS is still based on S-IPS technology i.e. similar electrode structure and molecule operation.

As it turns out, Panasonic unfortunately didn't return my call. So I decided to ring them instead. I got a different person on the phone this time. She got quite firm with me when I suggested that she had incorrect information when she responded with the statement "both 26" and 32" panels are identical except for the screen size". I could see that I wasn't getting anywhere with her, so I decided to end the call and try again, in hope that I may get someone who knows what they're on about. A guy this time...who was much more helpful. I explained the situation to him, and said that I had not received a call confirming that the two TV's are infact quite different. So he put me on hold while he went and found out for himself. (This is now the 4th Customer Service rep that I've spoken to from Panasonic and so far no one has had a clue about the difference between these two panels). He gets back on the phone and says "Yes, you're right, there is a difference...32" is a far superior TV than the 26". So I started on about how I feel ripped off...tricked into believing that I was getting the same beast but only a smaller version. (I used my pair of jeans theory!). SO now its been escalated to his supervisor... I'm waiting for a call from him now... !!! This is sooooo frustrating!!!

I'd be ringing Good Guys right now if you haven't done so already and explain your situation.

I did...and now I'm waiting for a return call from the manager....

I had to do a test run though before I rang. I got my friend to call them up first and pretend to be interested in buying a 26" panel, and ask the salesperson if there is any difference between the 32" and 26". The answer was "No...both panels are exactly the same...made in Japan.!". So no one else seems to know abouth this alpha screen not being in the 26" model....well except for in this forum!

i bought this set yesterday, very happy with my purchase..

just playing around with the SD card photo display feature, it plays ok from a card straight from the camera, but if i'm having trouble making a 'best of' compilation on my PC and having them show up onscreen.. it doesn't see them at all.

i've dragged and dropped the original unaltered [jpeg] files onto the SD card through a reader

in the manual it states that to browse photos they need to be in DCF or Exif jpeg format, so i'm not sure where it's going wrong.

i also do abstract design works which i'd like to have onscreen as a slideshow, so to know what format/file/structure/etc is necessary would be good.

any ideas?

edit> nm

i should RTFM before posting, there's a bit on the folder structure necessary a bit further down :blink:

edit2> still having problems.. i think my image capture program may be stripping some information.. the manual also says that images modified by PC won't show :D

Edited by tangent23

I want to buy this tv with the intention of wall mounting it. I see that Panasonic offer an optional wall mount, but I don't want it flat on the wall, I want to put it high up right in the corner of the bedroom, using an elbow-style wall arm. I have my eye on a certain model from Vogels, but my question is: does this tv have any of the VESA standard mouting holes e.g. 75mm x 75mm, 100mm x 100mm, or 200mm x 100mm? I downloaded the manual from Pana's website but it doesn't really show it. Can a current owner please have a look and check it out for me?