Sign in to follow this  
1019sea

New Pana Plasmas Due October

THis issue here is not Pana vs Hitachi. All I am asking is can you record from the internal digital receiver. Someone who has one may be able to answer this.
Based on what I have read in a couple of places including Pete's Pvr Post
Traps when buying digital

1) Channel 31 is not broadcast digitally

2) Changing channels can take longer than analogue (a good response time is considered under 1 second)

3) TVs with 'inbuilt' digital tuners usually don't allow you to 'onsend' the digital image to an analogue recording device (eg a VCR or DVDR) - an external STB/PVR will.

The answer would appear to be No.

THis issue here is not Pana vs Hitachi. All I am asking is can you record from the internal digital receiver. Someone who has one may be able to answer this.

Sorry if i sounded that way, my intention was not to say one is better then the other.

For the sake of the example I was giving with your options, I understand I made Pana PQ to be better then Hitachi. (i could have said it the other way around as well)

If they are both the same then so be it.

Based on what I have read in a couple of places including Pete's Pvr PostThe answer would appear to be No.

Digital out is unlikely, but as per cttc, perhaps Woz, Kiwi2, or others could confirm SD out from the internal DVBt tuner via the analog composite vid out for recording to PVR/VHS?

I'm considering the 42" for the study & can pick it up for $3300 from Myer inc 5yrs wnty (AIG) & delivery.

Digital out is unlikely, but as per cttc, perhaps Woz, Kiwi2, or others could confirm SD out from the internal DVBt tuner via the analog composite vid out for recording to PVR/VHS?

I'm considering the 42" for the study & can pick it up for $3300 from Myer inc 5yrs wnty (AIG) & delivery.

I don't have a PVR or VHS - but do have my old tv - so I'll try tonight to plug it into the composite vid port to that and see if I can send out the SD or HD channels on it - and will post back with the results.

Don't expect the quality to be all that great though (its only a composite out) - maybe good enough for VHS, but surely a PVR would get better quality using it's internal tuner. Not sure what benefit there is in this (tv has to be on to send anything) ...

Don't expect the quality to be all that great though (its only a composite out) - maybe good enough for VHS, but surely a PVR would get better quality using it's internal tuner. Not sure what benefit there is in this (tv has to be on to send anything) ...

Many thanks Woz. SD output via analog may be useful if the Panasonic tuner has better sensitivity or there's poor analog reception from the analog tuner in DVDR/VCR/PVR. Agreed, it's not exactly a feature I'd clamber for, but may have a marginal use anyway.

Many thanks Woz. SD output via analog may be useful if the Panasonic tuner has better sensitivity or there's poor analog reception from the analog tuner in DVDR/VCR/PVR. Agreed, it's not exactly a feature I'd clamber for, but may have a marginal use anyway.

Well did a check last night and it does output both digital (SD+HD) and analogue stations on the composite out port - but quality I saw on the tv I connected was no different from it's internal tuner (10yo 68cm LG tv though, so screen quality is probably the limiting factor)

One potential "gotcha" is that digital stations are widescreen and on my old 4:3 tv that I was sending it to just showed a very squished up image. The aspect button on the remote of the Panasonic has no effect on the output. Guess if you did record that image, when you played it back on the plasma, you could use the aspect button to stretch the squished 4:3 recorded image out to 16:9 - but assume a loss of quality.

Interesting test, but I'm pretty certain I'll never use it :blink:

Well did a check last night and it does output both digital (SD+HD) and analogue stations on the composite out port

Thanks for clearing that up Woz. Because the current LG's don't, many people are assuming that most don't.

Considering purchasing the 42px600A but I have one question. Can you record the HD digital signal from the internal HD digital Receiver????

I know other Plasmas with inbuilt HD digital receivers will not allow this and only allow you to recoard the analogue signal??????

Thanks....

You can't record HD with any inbuilt digital tuner on any Plasma/LCD currently available in Australia.

This made me ditch the 600A & go for the 60A.

That made the only real difference (for me) between them the swivel stand (which apparently is compatible with the 60A, but at a ~$200 cost), which I got around by finding a stand with a swivel top.

:blink:

EDIT,

I thought you meant record IN HD quality from the inbuilt tuner. My apologies.

What are the best picture settings for the 42PX600A that people are using. ie contrast, colour etc settiings

Wrote this in the other Pana thread but anyway I'll paste it here as well.

Just to let those who want to know that you can record from the internal HD digital tuner. Just use the monitor out function from the plasma to an AV in on your DVD/HDD Recorder. Works like a charm...:blink:

hi all, im going to be buying the panasonic 42px600a this week, i have been getting various quotes at around $3600 with 5 yr warranty and 18 months interest free, has anyone got a lower price than this with interest free terms as i would be interested to know if this is a good deal

thanks in advance

Taz

hi all, im going to be buying the panasonic 42px600a this week, i have been getting various quotes at around $3600 with 5 yr warranty and 18 months interest free, has anyone got a lower price than this with interest free terms as i would be interested to know if this is a good deal

thanks in advance

Taz

bump, any help

bump, any help
Please do not bump threads. It is considered bad form.Good threads like this will rise to the top by themselves - if they are worthy. Have a read of the various panasonic threads - there is lots of info on pricing.

Those in the know read all threads.

Read the pinned etiquette thread in my signature.

thanks in advance

Taz

Can't help too much - bought mine for $3300 incl 5 yr, but not on interest free. I've seen slightly better pricing here since, but can't remember any recent 42" with interest free.

TH42PA60A $1659 on saturday at Domayne Warrawong. Hooked it up to my $70 Aldi SD STB picture is perfect. Salesman tried to talk me into a HD STB saying that the picture was much better. It wasnt. Perfect picture great deal and if the STB mucks up Ill bin it and get a new one. Built in digital tuners not necessary.

TH42PA60A $1659 on saturday at Domayne Warrawong. Hooked it up to my $70 Aldi SD STB picture is perfect. Salesman tried to talk me into a HD STB saying that the picture was much better. It wasnt. Perfect picture great deal and if the STB mucks up Ill bin it and get a new one. Built in digital tuners not necessary.

Yeah, like you need a HD STB for a SD set :blink:

Its this price crash on sets which is currently making me hesitate, I was going to get a new PX 50" HD set but at nearly three times the price Im not sure if a better idea is not to go with a 42" sd set for a year or at least until there is more hd programming and presumably the larger HD panels will be down below $3k by that stage.

If you plotted the price fall on 50" panels this year and extrapolated it through to late 2007 the sell price would be below $0 :D

Its this price crash on sets which is currently making me hesitate, I was going to get a new PX 50" HD set but at nearly three times the price Im not sure if a better idea is not to go with a 42" sd set for a year or at least until there is more hd programming and presumably the larger HD panels will be down below $3k by that stage.

But don't so called "SD" sets only offer 480 horizontnal lines? PAL SD is 625 so these sets are falling way short of basic PAL SD quality (on paper). No matter what you get, there's some scaling involved but sometimes the SD sets in the stores look better than the HD ones - usually when renderring poor quality signals.

Can't help too much - bought mine for $3300 incl 5 yr, but not on interest free. I've seen slightly better pricing here since, but can't remember any recent 42" with interest free.

i c. thanks for that mate, well ill see how it goes

hi guys. long time reader, first time posting. first i want to say that this is a great website. i have been doing research for a plasma for long time now. i have prety much decided on panasonic. hif def 42 or hi def 50 is the next question. definitly going to be the old model. as i ant to run an external HD recorder. just want to know, if you were after the best quality picture rather than size would it be better to get the 42" or 50". because of the screen resolution.

if the 50" had a SD signal going to it would that signal be stretched to fit the 50" screen? and would that loose picture quality?

ps

thanks for all the info over the last few months :blink:

just want to know, if you were after the best quality picture rather than size would it be better to get the 42" or 50". because of the screen resolution.

if the 50" had a SD signal going to it would that signal be stretched to fit the 50" screen? and would that loose picture quality?

If SD picture is in widescreen then no stretching, if in 4:3 then you get the black (letterbox type) bars running down the side of the screen. You can stretch it to fit 16:9 ratio though and only the edges are really noticeably "stretched".

Both screens scale to suit their native resolution, so I don't think any real difference unless your <1.5m from the screen...

Yeah, like you need a HD STB for a SD set :blink:

If you plotted the price fall on 50" panels this year and extrapolated it through to late 2007 the sell price would be below $0 :D

The prices will not keep droppiing however the features offered will improve on each new panel. It just depends what you want. I could not imagine a better picture than what I am getting at the moment. People get too hooked up on specs re hd /sd. Panasonic is a quality item. I have a Benq digital projector which is also brilliant although not high spec. I cant fault it. Save some money buy the Pana SD plasma and use the savings for something else. You wont be disapointed. I think Domayne are selling plasmas this weekend from their warehouse in Campbelltown at bargain prices this Sat and Sun

hi guys

purchased the panasonic 42px600a from clive peeters today for $3500 with a 5 year warranty on 18 months interest free, looks like i joined the club, and its quite a big difference from my 21" CRT rofl... oh and btw it will be delivered this saturday...cant wait :-)

Regards

Taz

hi guys

purchased the panasonic 42px600a from clive peeters today for $3500 with a 5 year warranty on 18 months interest free, looks like i joined the club, and its quite a big difference from my 21" CRT rofl... oh and btw it will be delivered this saturday...cant wait :-)

Regards

Taz

Hey congrats Taz,

just got one myself and yes it is big and heavy, am viewing mine from 2.5 metres and feel like the bride on the wedding night! Hope you enjoy it and let us know how its going. Got a HDMI- Dvi adaptor today and hooked up the DVD player and it is awsome! Even channel 70 looks good ( most of the time).

hi all

just finished setting the tv up and am very impressed. a few questions though.

1. how do you change the asepct ratio when viewing free tv via the inbuilt hd tuner, as i can only change the aspect ratio when viewing tv on the analogue tuner?

2. what picture setting should i have for the run in time. at the moment i have the picture on dynamic... with brightness, sharpness, and contrast just under 50%?

and i think thats all i need help with..

thanking you

Taz

p.s the picture looks bloody awsome