New Pana Plasmas Due October

hi all

just finished setting the tv up and am very impressed. a few questions though.

1. how do you change the asepct ratio when viewing free tv via the inbuilt hd tuner, as i can only change the aspect ratio when viewing tv on the analogue tuner?

2. what picture setting should i have for the run in time. at the moment i have the picture on dynamic... with brightness, sharpness, and contrast just under 50%?

and i think thats all i need help with..

thanking you

Taz

p.s the picture looks bloody awsome

You can't change the picture ratio with inbuilt HD tuner, however you can change it in component HDMI inputs etc.

I keep playing with my setting and have read a bit about it.

My current settings are as follows.

Viewing mode- Normal

Contrast 60

Brightness 30

Colour 35

Sharpness 50

Colour Balance Normal

Colour management off

Mpeg NR Min

NB Number are an estimated percentage of the scales, hope this helps Dave.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest True Live

Best price i can find is $3300 before discounts.

Pretty disappointing to see big stores selling it near RRP and totally unwilling to give you a deal.

Even JB are trying to sell it for $3500.

Best price i can find is $3300 before discounts.

Pretty disappointing to see big stores selling it near RRP and totally unwilling to give you a deal.

Even JB are trying to sell it for $3500.

True Live,

See post by Dave T - "New PANASONIC plasmas, how much you pay?" - on 3/11/06. Cost $2700 for the 42PX600A.

Also, the Electric Discounter is selling it for $2995 (post by KangaRon on 2/11/06).

Guest True Live
True Live,

See post by Dave T - "New PANASONIC plasmas, how much you pay?" - on 3/11/06. Cost $2700 for the 42PX600A.

Oh thankyou, i'll have a look.

Also, the Electric Discounter is selling it for $2995 (post by KangaRon on 2/11/06).

I'd heard of this place, but it's in Sunshine (the Melbourne store) i think, and i'm right over on the other side of town.

Would hate to see what their delivery cost would be.

Oh thankyou, i'll have a look.

I'd heard of this place, but it's in Sunshine (the Melbourne store) i think, and i'm right over on the other side of town.

Would hate to see what their delivery cost would be.

True Live

The Electric Discounter at www.TheElectricDiscounter.com.au has a retail store (Brisbane) and an on-line store. The 42PX600A is advertised at $2995 (standard 12 mth warranty). There's a delivery charge calculator (by postcode) on the site. It seems that it is delivered from a local source, and doesn't have to come from Brisbane. Melbourne delivery is $39, but you should probably check the calculator for your area delivery charge.

KangaRon said on 2/11/06 that he ordered a 42PX600A from there. If you can't get a better price in your area than that, then it might be worth looking into.

True Live

The Electric Discounter at www.TheElectricDiscounter.com.au has a retail store (Brisbane) and an on-line store. The 42PX600A is advertised at $2995 (standard 12 mth warranty). There's a delivery charge calculator (by postcode) on the site. It seems that it is delivered from a local source, and doesn't have to come from Brisbane. Melbourne delivery is $39, but you should probably check the calculator for your area delivery charge.

KangaRon said on 2/11/06 that he ordered a 42PX600A from there. If you can't get a better price in your area than that, then it might be worth looking into.

Best price I was offer is from JB HiFi for $3330 including the 5 year warranty. Any one know how much Discount Electrical is offering wuth the the 5year warranty?

Best price I was offer is from JB HiFi for $3330 including the 5 year warranty. Any one know how much Discount Electrical is offering wuth the the 5year warranty?

The Electrical Discounter website shows the 42PX600A as $2995, plus $599 for the extended warranty (ie to 5 years). I haven't seen anyone post about getting it cheaper from there yet.

When they rang me to confirm the purchase he offered the 5 year extended warranty for $499.

Delivery was $39, and a 2 week delivery window, which didn't bother me, as long as its here in time for the cricket.

The reason I went this path was to take advantage of the interest free period of 48 months. Without this option I'd be watching the cricket on the 68 cm pano.

Guest True Live

I got mine for $3200 with warranty and delivery.

Found JB totally uncompetitive.

I scored a 42px600a from Clive Peeters for $2871 plus $429 for 5 yr warranty. 1-2 week wait. Pick up.

Myer Eastland will match it too.

I think the price could be even better with more time spent on the haggle, but I was happy enough.

Now for the hdmi cables.........any suggestions re: quality/cost etc?

I am thinking of getting one these new plasmas, but have been unsure if the inbuilt digital tuner is able to output a digital audio signal (i.e. 5.1) to a souround sound system or if an external tuner with that capability is required. If that is so would it be better to get the older version without the inbuilt tuner and get an external HD tuner. Thanks all.

I am thinking of getting one these new plasmas, but have been unsure if the inbuilt digital tuner is able to output a digital audio signal (i.e. 5.1) to a souround sound system or if an external tuner with that capability is required. If that is so would it be better to get the older version without the inbuilt tuner and get an external HD tuner. Thanks all.

If you are referring to the TH42PX600, then yes it definately has optical digital out, although there's no much being broadcast, ch9 seem to have the most, most of their movies are 5.1. Ch10 & 7 a useless.

• 3 months later...
Guest Homer Simpson

so are you guys still happy with this model, Im thinking of buying it next week....looks about the best for the under 3k mark...what yall think?

I'm watching prices on the 42" 600a too.

Myer have them for $2,699 in the latest catalog, DSE's Website are the same and McKnights are that price as well - looks like the starting point at the moment. Time to haggle...

TH42PX600 for $2500 should be an easy deal. They are the best value plasma out there IMHO.

Philips is about the same price for good PQ, but no swivel stand and a Korean (LG) panel assembled in China. Pana and Pio are fully Japanese.

Both panels will scale to their pixel ratios - the 42's down and the 50's up. The difference will be imperceptible. The smaller screen may appear sharper simply because the picture is less enlarged. It is using less pixels, so this will counteract this to some degree.

Does this mean a 20in TV with a 720x576 res will have the same level of detail as a 40in TV with 1440x 1152{twice the pixels but also twice the size} at relative viewing distances?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for doubling up: I have asked this question also on the 'price thread', because it seems to be the only active Pana thread at the moment... but any response here would be welcome!

Also, I have asked a similar question to the following on a Pioneer thread, but would like to know the pana answer... Anyway, enough of confessions:

Any Panasonic Th-50px60/600 owner who uses PC input - connecting to the internet, reading/writing emails, etc. -

1. How readable (and easy on the eyes) is text in this case, and

2. What burn-in problems have you experienced? and/or, how do you avoid them?

thanks in anticipation.

Sorry for doubling up: I have asked this question also on the 'price thread', because it seems to be the only active Pana thread at the moment... but any response here would be welcome!

Also, I have asked a similar question to the following on a Pioneer thread, but would like to know the pana answer... Anyway, enough of confessions:

Any Panasonic Th-50px60/600 owner who uses PC input - connecting to the internet, reading/writing emails, etc. -

1. How readable (and easy on the eyes) is text in this case, and

2. What burn-in problems have you experienced? and/or, how do you avoid them?

thanks in anticipation.

I do all of that on a 50" Fuji via VGA and have no probs with readability or burn in. i wouldn't use it as a primary monitor but for occasional internet and email but it will be fine. I have it connected up to my media center computer and have no probs at all checking my mail on it from time to time or surfing the net. Have never had a problem with burn in but I never leave any static image on there for a silly amount of time either. Getting a 1:1 with 1366x768 is, for me anyway, been impossible with a gt6600.

Cheers,

Dean

• 8 months later...
The stand also has a strap/bracket on the back that you can attach to the top-back of your ETU if you are worried about the plasma falling forward (although the fact that they include it is a worry to me - why would a plasma fall forward?) Seems very stable without it - I haven't bothered

I've read more than a few stories about toddlers dying from pulling TVs on top of themselves -- just do a quick google if you don't already know the dangers -- suffice to say, I'm very concerned about our 18 mth old, who is fond of grabbing onto the sides of the TV with enthusiastic curiosity...

does anyone know where to source a mounting/fixing strap/anchor for a 32" LCD TV ?

I can't use a wall bracket because we're renters, it has to connect to our cabinet.

I've tried every department/electronics/hi-fi/hardware/furniture retailer I can think of, but I've had no luck -- most of them don't even know these things exist.