New Pana Plasmas Due October

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looked at the RRP price of the 42" on the pana website and its $3799... i shot of a few emails to various retailers asking for a price if i were to pre-order. i mentioned in the email that the rrp was 3799 and what their best price was.

Only 1 retailer replied and they have given me that their shelf price when they sell it will be 3499.00 and less for cash but they dont quote cash prices via email or phone.. this has me guessing that at 3499 ticket price.. if u were to push hard 3100 wouldnt be out of the question and 3200-3300 would definately be certainty. At 3100 this might be worth waiting for. one thing thats stopping me is the quality and features of the HD inbuilt STB and if ur better off buying the current model and buying a seperate HD STB any ideas.

Anyone else asked around for prices??

at 3100 this might be worth waiting for. one thing thats stopping me is the quality and features of the HD inbuilt STB and if ur better off buyin the current model and buying a seperate HD STB.

Just to follow up on my previous post of emailing various retailers, i had another reply today in regards to the new 42"PX600. They have quoted me $3050 which is an awesome price.. they also said they are not in stock and perhaps when they are in stock they might be able to do a bit bettter.. going by that this tv can easily be had for $3000 if you would like to know the retailer then PM for details.

I'd wait and buy the new panel. The actual panels are the same the only difference is the Tuner and the SD slot.

The new 42"600A RRP is $3799 and the 60A RRP is $3299. Using this as a basis the built in HD tuner (and the SD slot) will cost you $500.

I bought the 60a in May and recently added a $200 external HD tuner. Picture quality is superb. Make sure you can get the full digital signal out of the panel though (to connect the sound to your amp).

Saw this difference between the 600 and 60: "Another is the provision on the PX600s of full picture in picture facilities".

What does it mean? I don't understand the words here.

Thanks.

It just means it has Picture in Picture... while watching one main channel you can bring up another channel in a smaller box (a picture in a picture) but this second picture cannot be from the SD/HD tuner (if thats what your watching) only the AV signal or the FTA Analog signal.

Reading the downloadable manual on the 600 from the Panasonic website, the PIP (or Multi Window as they call it there) has a large restriction (in my view):

"Multi window cannot be used with a PC, HDMI, SD card, or when 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i signals (Y, Pa/Ca/Pr/Cr) are being displayed from the AV input"

Fairly limiting if you have connected your DVD/STB/PVR using the "better" connections (DVI/HDMI/component) - no PIP with your TV broadcast.

Seems to me the only way of getting PIP to work is to mix the inbuilt TV tuner broadcast with something connected to the single RCA "Video" or S-Video ports!

In reality, I've found PIP to be just a gimmick to play with when you first get the unit anyway - I wouldn't use the PIP part to sway your decision about the 60 vs 600 decision :blink:

Just been told that the new panels (new 60 stocks and all 600 stocks) are being made in Panasonic's China plant now.

I've been speaking with a sales guy at Myer (Adelaide CBD), who confirmed this with his Panasonic rep - although Myer's still have stocks of the Japanese made 42" HD 60 left. Hmmm (thinking music time)

50PV50A ($5999), 50PX600A ($5899)

42PV60A ($3299), 42PX600A ($3799)

Either there's a misprint somewhere or the pricing is screwed.

There's a simple explanation: RRP for 42PV has dropped twice but not 50PV.

If we trace back to 6 mths ago it goes like this:

50PV50A ($5999), 50PV50A ($5999), 50PV50A ($5999), 50PX600A ($5899)

42PV60A ($3999), 42PV60A ($3599), 42PV60A ($3299), 42PX600A ($3799)

Now if you compare the PX only to the first number it makes sense doesn't it? :blink:

Hey guys,

Just wanted to clarify a diff between the px and pv and apologies in advance if it is a really stupid question....

the pv60 is 1024 x 768 while the px600 is 1366 x 768, does this mean that the pv would need to downscale a 1278 x 720p broadcast?? i guess I am asking how the 'lack' of vertical resolution would affect the picture

Hey guys,

Just wanted to clarify a diff between the px and pv and apologies in advance if it is a really stupid question....

the pv60 is 1024 x 768 while the px600 is 1366 x 768, does this mean that the pv would need to downscale a 1278 x 720p broadcast?? i guess I am asking how the 'lack' of vertical resolution would affect the picture

You need to specify screen sizes! It is the panel size that changes the resolution, not the pv-> px model change.

42px600a = 1024x768

42pv 60a = 1024x768

50pv60a = 1366x768

50px600a = 1366x768

Both panels will scale to their pixel ratios - the 42's down and the 50's up. The difference will be imperceptible. The smaller screen may appear sharper simply because the picture is less enlarged. It is using less pixels, so this will counteract this to some degree.

The end result is still that it will be essentially imperceptible.

J.

You need to specify screen sizes! It is the panel size that changes the resolution, not the pv-> px model change.

42px600a = 1024x768

42pv 60a = 1024x768

50pv60a = 1366x768

50px600a = 1366x768

Both panels will scale to their pixel ratios - the 42's down and the 50's up. The difference will be imperceptible. The smaller screen may appear sharper simply because the picture is less enlarged. It is using less pixels, so this will counteract this to some degree.

The end result is still that it will be essentially imperceptible.

J.

Yup, still had it in my browser's cache - definately *used* to say 1366x768 for the 42" 600

im looking to buy a 42" Plasma TV....

its between the Panasonic TH-42PX600A

and the LG 42PC1DG Link to LG 42PC1DG

********************************************************************************

Firstly, Is the Pana 42PX600A the lastest from Pana??

and also the pana 42PX600A 1080p?? it says it is in the specs from pana but in the review of the 50inch version it says its only 1080i....

Secondly, Whats the deal with this PIP??? Does it not hav 2 tuners like the LG??

Thirdly, What would you guys recommend???

im looking to buy a 42" Plasma TV....

its between the Panasonic TH-42PX600A

and the LG 42PC1DG Link to LG 42PC1DG

********************************************************************************

Firstly, Is the Pana 42PX600A the lastest from Pana??

and also the pana 42PX600A 1080p?? it says it is in the specs from pana but in the review of the 50inch version it says its only 1080i....

Secondly, Whats the deal with this PIP??? Does it not hav 2 tuners like the LG??

Thirdly, What would you guys recommend???

Yes, it is the latest panel from Panasonic, but the screen is essentially the same as the 60a model. It just has a new PIP mode, a card reader and better (IMHO) aesthetics.

It would be sensible to read (this - Post 1464) post for someone who thinks the panasonic is better.

I wouldn't worry about the 1080p/i - No plasma except the Pioneer 5000ex is a native 1080 screen in any case so it is not going to make any difference. All will downscale to the native resolution of the panels. What the advertising blurb is refering to is the supported input resolutions and the way the panel scales (A simple explanation is that the (older) 500 models used to downscale 1st, then upscale to the resolution of the panel - the 60/600 series upscale 1st then downscale. This results in a better picture)

J.

and what does the LG do???

(i appologise but i do not know much about plasmas)

thx

This is going to seem like a patently obvious statement, but it is so true.

There is no point in comparing brochures and advertising blurb. You need to go and look at various panels and make up your own mind about how they look. The biggest difficulty is trying to find well set-up panels near each other to compare (most store setups are not that good). So dont worry too much about the 'hows' - otherwise you will be believing the lg 10000:1 contrast ratios :blink::D:P . Even the new processing of the 60/600 series panasonics isn't more than an incremental improvement over the former model

The panasonic panels have very good blacks and contrasts (for a plasma - just in case owen is reading this). This reflected by their use in the 50" fujitsu screens (fujitsu didn't make their own glass) - a screen that many on this forum felt was (?is) one of the best screens available (but expensive).

Your final desision will come down to price / aesthetics / perceived screen quality. It will mean that your choice may be different to other forum members. Just remember - YOU are the one who has to like what you see.

J.