New Pana Plasmas Due October

Was in my local HN today looking to pick up a 42PV60 on the 40 months deal, when I was told by the staff to hold off until October, when the new models come out. Apparently they will be priced close to current models, but the big difference will be a built-in digital tuner.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do people think it will be worth getting the 42PV60A now cause they are going cheap due to the new models coming out or waiting till Oct and get the 42PX600A.

Is there any difference between the 2 besides the inbuit HD tuner?

I think this month you could probably get a really good price on a 42PV60A and get a ext turner.

What does everyone think? I want a cheap price but a good panel?

Also is there any news on the price for the new models?

The advantages of the 600 over the 60 model are:

- inbuilt HD digital tuner

- better speakers

- SD card reader

- swivel stand (compared with 4-feet stand)

- more black (less silver) in panel housing; hence looks a lot better

The picture quality will be exactly the same as the 60 - same resolution & processor, etc.

I don't have much idea on pricing, but I don't think the 600 model will be much more expensive than the 60. Both models have been available in the UK & US for approx 6months. Panasonic Australia have been incredibly slow in bringing out the 600 model here, probably for profit-margin reasons.

Here's a picture of the 600 model:

http://panasonic.jp/viera/products/px600/i...ign_img02_1.jpg

Better speakers.

Better look.

SD card slot (with MPEG4 recording).

PIP/POP/PAP

(The PX60 models have inbuilt digital tuner.)

Someone said 42PX600 $3495 RRP (PV60A RRP $3299)

See http://www.panasonic.co.uk/plasma-tv/th42px600cab/index.htm

Or for comparison(page 24) of PX models download this (2006 uk Viera brochure):-

http://techdocs.panasonic.co.uk/GetDoc.asp...=en&fmt=PDF (3 MB PDF)

NOTE! Operation Manual for TH-42PX600A and TH-50PX600A is now online http://panasonic.com.au/content/library/files/F001807.pdf (15MB PDF)

There has been alot of people saying stay away from internal tuners.

They are not something to avoid (I would always take same plasma with one if I had the choice). But an external one has advantages and because of bad design of some of the internal ones on the market the advantages can be big. Questions you might need to ask of each internal digital tuner:- Does it produce a picture as good as external box ? Does it have digital sound output (for amplifier)? Does it has video out (and at what quality)(for recording to DVD/VCR/etc) ? Does the plasma have to be fully on for video out (normally yes) ? Now with a good internal tuner you could get positive answers to those questions that are important to you. And remember even with external box you still face the problem of it recording whats on it and you wanting to watch another digital channel.

As for the PX600A not out yet but:-

Has Digital sound out.

Has Video out (plasma on) (Composite).

As for quality of tuner don't know (probably like other panasonics with internal tuner)

man am i confused now about wat purchase im gonna make. getting married in mid november, and wanted to hold out buying a plasma until start of november. panapv60 or latest pioneer or philips9831 42ich plasma's. Now i hear panasonic 42px600 and the new pioneer is on the way. Definitely need to find out about the quality of the internal tuner and what options it has got like cttc has mentioned. Thinking>>>>>>>

thanks for the update anyway boys

Better speakers.

Better look.

SD card slot (with MPEG4 recording).

PIP/POP/PAP

(The PX60 models have inbuilt digital tuner.)

Someone said 42PX600 $3495 RRP (PV60A RRP $3299)

I hope that pricing is true. I'm willing to pay an extra $200 for the looks alone. Additional features are an added bonus.

NOTE! Operation Manual for TH-42PX600A and TH-50PX600A is now online http://panasonic.com.au/content/library/files/F001807.pdf (15MB PDF)

One thing that has got me curious after looking at this manual - on pages 6 and 19 it seems to imply that

the aspect ratio is locked at 16:9 when using the built-in digital tuner.

Does this mean zooming or changing the fit of 4:3 broadcasts would not be possible ?

I'm not sure why you want anything but 16:9 when watching HD tv as that's the ratio used to transmit. Would need to change for watching old videos and DVDs though, which I asume you can change.

I'd rather have the system change, as I have a 16:9 CRT that needs to be manually changed each time you change the AV input and a small LCD that remembers the last ratio for each of the AV inputs. Much more convenient if it picks the correct one for you.

Does this mean zooming or changing the fit of 4:3 broadcasts would not be possible ?

I can see what you're thinking here. But you need to know that the side black bars for digital 4:3 programs are actually part of the broadcast signal. Your screen is not doing anything, it thinks it is showing a 16:9 picture. So there is no issue here.

I'm not sure why you want anything but 16:9 when watching HD tv as that's the ratio used to transmit. Would need to change for watching old videos and DVDs though, which I asume you can change.

I'd rather have the system change, as I have a 16:9 CRT that needs to be manually changed each time you change the AV input and a small LCD that remembers the last ratio for each of the AV inputs. Much more convenient if it picks the correct one for you.

I can see what you're thinking here. But you need to know that the side black bars for digital 4:3 programs are actually part of the broadcast signal. Your screen is not doing anything, it thinks it is showing a 16:9 picture. So there is no issue here.

ok thanks for the replies, that makes sense now.

New au brochure out that includes the TH-65PV600A TH-50PX600A TH-42PX600A models (can't see PX60 models so looks like keeping PV/PA models).

Viera Flat Panel TV Range Brochure 2006/07:-

http://panasonic.com.au/content/library/files/F001812.pdf (3.35mb PDF).

Interesting... Panasonic keeping the PV and PA. I thought since the prices of the PV and PA have been droping so much, thought it must be run out model. Well, gives some leverage when bargaining for PX :blink:

A quote from this link: "High Definition Panel (1366x768p)". This got me interested until I downloaded the user manual which confirmed my suspicions: Panel is 1024x768, just like the 42PV60A.

It's a scandal that they actually call 1024x768 "HD". It's ED (Enhanced Definition) at best.

Do people think it will be worth getting the 42PV60A now cause they are going cheap due to the new models coming out or waiting till Oct and get the 42PX600A.

I think this month you could probably get a really good price on a 42PV60A and get a ext turner.

What does everyone think? I want a cheap price but a good panel?

Also is there any news on the price for the new models?

External tuners are a PITA. All future Plasma's and Lcd's will have built in tuners so if you buy a plasma withoiut one it will be redundant.

Viera TH-42PX600A is up http://panasonic.com.au/products/details.cfm?objectID=3402

RRP: $3,799 [GST Inc.]

Viera TH-50PX600A RRP: $5,899 [GST Inc.]

Viera TH-65PV600A NOT RELEASED, pricing to be confirmed

Wtf, something weird with the pricing. The older 50" cost more than the newer 50", where as the new 42" cost more than the older 42".

50PV50A ($5999), 50PX600A ($5899)

42PV60A($3299) , 42PX600A ($3799)

Either there's a misprint somewhere or the pricing is screwed.

So it looks like it will be a battle between the PX600 and the new Pioneers, which will also be out in the next few weeks (2-3 weeks I was told by a salesperson today).

After reading various reviews of the 2 models, here is my summary:

Pros for the Panasonic:

- less burn-in potential

- less judder with motion

- better value for money

Pros for the Pioneer:

- better aesthetic design

- better colour representation (apparently)

here is a link to a review of the panasonic plasma Viera TH-50PX600A 50 inch

http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx...8183&head=0

In that review they talk about a new way the new models proccess the image. Do the older models do the same thing. I thought the only difference between these models was the way it looked and the built in tuner, but it sounds like the screen quality might be also different.

In that review they talk about a new way the new models proccess the image. Do the older models do the same thing. I thought the only difference between these models was the way it looked and the built in tuner, but it sounds like the screen quality might be also different.

That is a comparison against the 500 series panels which used to downscale 1st.

The differences between the 600 and 60 are listed:

As a jumping off point for an assessment of the 50PX600’s other features, let’s go over the things that make the PX600 range Panasonic’s current flagship ahead of the its PX60 models. One we’ve actually already covered; the SD card slot. Another is the provision on the PX600s of full picture in picture facilities. And the last one is a beefed up audio system that replaces the standard speakers of the PX60s with units equipped with twin passive radiator woofers to boost bass output and deliver more clarity and raw power.

You can compare the marketing blurb for the 60 series (here) and the 600 series (here) to reassure yourself.

j.