Samsung R Series And Sony Bravia V Series

Hello,

After reading as a guest for quite a while on these forums, and looking at LCD TVs, I finally ordered a 40' Samsung R series and a 32' Sony Bravia V Series. The Samsung is for my mother's bedroom and the SOny is for mine (yes, I live with my mother, I am 15). My mother ordered the Samsung only because of it's design, which is quite sexy, but side by side at both Bing Lee and Harvey Norman, I have to say that the Sony image is MUCH more sharper and realistic. Even my mother (who has the worst eyes) agreed with me.

For those of you wondering, I compared these two models in their respective sizes.

So, my question is, why are some people saying that the Samsung is the same quality or even better then that of the Sony? Even after adjusting settings in-store of the Samsung, the PQ and sharpness was no match for the Sony. Even the CNET website has Samsung rated higher than the Sony. I just don't understand, because I saw with my own eyes that the Sony PQ was much better. The black was more black rather than a grey, the image sharpness was much better than the Samsung (side by side the Samsung almost looked blurry - reminds me of when I had to get glasses earlier in the month because I found out I was a bit short-sighted) and the colours were much more realistic.

I just want some opinions on this as they arrive tomorrow and I still have time to change to a Samsung R series.

Thanks for the help guys =D

People have compared them this way because the Sammy's use the same panel apparently, that's why a few months ago there were many saying 'Why spend an extra 1k on a Sony V when you can get the Samsung R that has the same panel'.

Lately though it's a bit different since the V is being phased out by a newer model and closer in price to the R.

Personally I think you can't go wrong with either really, but it's up to your own eyes and tests as to what you feel comfortable with. Just spend some time playing with the settings, take your own favourite DVDs in etc and compare some scenes on the two. This is better than just glancing at whatever they've got running on the panels in store and deciding from that

Hello,

After reading as a guest for quite a while on these forums, and looking at LCD TVs, I finally ordered a 40' Samsung R series and a 32' Sony Bravia V Series. The Samsung is for my mother's bedroom and the SOny is for mine (yes, I live with my mother, I am 15). My mother ordered the Samsung only because of it's design, which is quite sexy, but side by side at both Bing Lee and Harvey Norman, I have to say that the Sony image is MUCH more sharper and realistic. Even my mother (who has the worst eyes) agreed with me.

For those of you wondering, I compared these two models in their respective sizes.

So, my question is, why are some people saying that the Samsung is the same quality or even better then that of the Sony? Even after adjusting settings in-store of the Samsung, the PQ and sharpness was no match for the Sony. Even the CNET website has Samsung rated higher than the Sony. I just don't understand, because I saw with my own eyes that the Sony PQ was much better. The black was more black rather than a grey, the image sharpness was much better than the Samsung (side by side the Samsung almost looked blurry - reminds me of when I had to get glasses earlier in the month because I found out I was a bit short-sighted) and the colours were much more realistic.

I just want some opinions on this as they arrive tomorrow and I still have time to change to a Samsung R series.

all i have 2 say is "how nice is your mum!" n "how lucky r u?"

Hello,

Hi

did you check the setting on the TV sets. It is my experience that people play with them and mess them up. Also the store may change the setting depending on the set they want to sell.

I have looked at both in the store and to my eye they are pretty much the same. It has been my experience that sony TV's tend to have more realistic colours.

Yes, I played around with the settings. Though the Samsung was a bit better after some tweaks, side by side, the sony was still sharper and the colour was much more realistic. However, if they weren't side by side, I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

If the Samsung's design wasn't so good, I would have chosen the sony, no questions asked, no regrets. Hmmm.

I couldn't try DVDs in the sets as well, they aren't mine yet. But after I do try them when both the TVs arrive and find the Samsung to actually be better, I still couldn't return the TV and swap it for a Samsung. To me, its really this: Sony = PQ, Samsung = Design... BOTH which I value nearly equally...

To me, its really this: Sony = PQ, Samsung = Design... BOTH which I value nearly equally...

Are you serious? So when you sit there watching Terminator 3 with the surround sound booming you sit there thinking.... 'Mmmmm I love that gloss finish on my Sammy!' Get real - when you are spending that much $$$, PQ is always the most important.

I have seen both side-by-side and the Sony V definitely has much better PQ than the Samsung.

I guess... Didn't really think of it that way. I just thought how good the design was while looking at it instore.

That is how some manufacturers make up for substandard PQ - make the hardware look good and the Hardly Normal drones will take care of the rest...