Possible Hd-a1 Power Buy

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats exactly what it was like back in the day of DVD and I was an early adaptor back then.
I still remember importing DVD's direct from a B&M store that had excellent prices in those days. How easy some of us forget what it was like back in the early days of DVD history in Australia. I'm damned tempted at $700 too. However, I think the Oz release is reasonably close, isn't it?

Simon....

I still remember importing DVD's direct from a B&M store that had excellent prices in those days. How easy some of us forget what it was like back in the early days of DVD history in Australia. I'm damned tempted at $700 too. However, I think the Oz release is reasonably close, isn't it?

Simon....

Im tempted too, that's close to what I paid for my first Toshiba DVD player back in '99. Considering my equipment atm, im thinking that the HD-A1 would be a perfect fit to compliment my Denon 2910 HD Scaling DVD player and 720p Sony Projector.

The euro models coming to Aus dont sound like good value to me atm.

aggh, please don't tempt me ...

btw, with the amazon price drop to USD$399, I reckon you should twist your delaer's arm a bit harder.

Even with charging $100 for postage, the amazon price still comes in under $650 ...

Yes, I know amazon won't ship to Australia, but there are ways around this (shopthestates etc).

Andrew.

aggh, please don't tempt me ...

btw, with the amazon price drop to USD$399, I reckon you should twist your delaer's arm a bit harder.

Even with charging $100 for postage, the amazon price still comes in under $650 ...

Yes, I know amazon won't ship to Australia, but there are ways around this (shopthestates etc).

Andrew.

ebay sellers would give you the same price... reputable, powersellers based in the US who ship to Australia.....

ebay sellers would give you the same price... reputable, powersellers based in the US who ship to Australia.....

Good idea. For those interested, theres a US Power Seller selling the HD-A1 (10 available) for US$395 with US$99 shipping. All up about AU$653. Just wonder exactly what type of postage service that is.

EDIT: heres the link:-

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...em=290028809220

Good idea. For those interested, theres a US Power Seller selling the HD-A1 (10 available) for US$395 with US$99 shipping. All up about AU$653. Just wonder exactly what type of postage service that is.

Thats a good deal, as soon as I get my tax check im gonna grab one (Btw, yes I have changed my mind about BluRay, HD-DVD is gonna win imo).

Does Highjinx know your thoughts on this :blink: ??

Austen.

LOL, he'll live regardless - I reckon in 5 years time we'll all be enjoying our HD-DVD players and he'll be the "lone voice in the wilderness" espousing the HD Gospel according to Sony. :D

Has anyone heard if there is a way to break the region coding on the US model? I cannot believe that it has been out now for a while and there is not a hack for the region code.

There is only region coding on SD-DVD's, AFAIK it isn't enforced on HD-DVD's on the HD-A1. Im not going to be using mine for SD-DVD's so for me it's not an issue.

PS, I just ordered my first 4 HD-DVD's (from DVDBoxOffice) for my soon to be ordered HD-A1. :blink:

There is only region coding on SD-DVD's, AFAIK it isn't enforced on HD-DVD's on the HD-A1. Im not going to be using mine for SD-DVD's so for me it's not an issue.

PS, I just ordered my first 4 HD-DVD's (from DVDBoxOffice) for my soon to be ordered HD-A1. :blink:

Yep I know the HD side of it is at the moment region free, whether it stays that way in the future is up in the air. I would like to unlock the SD side of it though so that I could use it to upscale the SD titles that I have. I have found a reference to the European model responding to a standard remote hack to unlock the SD region code but apparantly it does not work on the US model.

[

> Like some others i am planning to get a hd a1 dvd player soon [thanks mr tax

> man] but i don,t want to buy every movie i want to watch.

Do others feel the same? What if four of us got together and bought 4

movies each[ mailed overseas together] and swapped within the group of 4? we

could see 16 movies for the price of 4 [approx $a130 or $8 each movie] and

keep the 4 movies. Or if we already owned movies we could swap between ourselves

If we only wanted to watch and then sell to others the

movies for 1/2 price we could watch each movie and keep for a week for $4

per movie.Is any one interested?

My offer is just for melb residents but others could form groups in other cities. jeff MELBOURNE jeff@rabbit.com.au

>

>

Jeff, Im in Boronia (Eastern Subs) and I would be happy to join in on some HD-DVD Swapping.

I've ordered:

Serenity @ $33.95

Aeon Flux @ $32.95

12 Monkeys @ $33.95 (PREORDER)

Fast And The Furious: Tokyo Drift @ $47.95 (PREORDER) ($ = Canadian Dollars)

I Would think that we should all retain ownership of the particular titles we purchase as individuals, but have maybe a private (to members of the "club") online database to track who has what and who has borrowed what.

yap, that's the guy I was referring to ..... let's see what the group buy deal is... but I'm getting ready!!!!

even though.... I'll probably only buy 10-15 HD DVDs in the next 12 months..... so will have limited use .... no HD dvds to rent down here yet... no netflix HD DVDs either..... what the hell!

Jeff, Im in Boronia (Eastern Subs) and I would be happy to join in on some HD-DVD Swapping.

I've ordered:

Serenity @ $33.95

Aeon Flux @ $32.95

12 Monkeys @ $33.95 (PREORDER)

Fast And The Furious: Tokyo Drift @ $47.95 (PREORDER) ($ = Canadian Dollars)

I Would think that we should all retain ownership of the particular titles we purchase as individuals, but have maybe a private (to members of the "club") online database to track who has what and who has borrowed what.

How do those prices compare to Amazon? I ordered Syriana, Swordfish, Cinderella Man and Sahara via Amazon last week.

yap, that's the guy I was referring to ..... let's see what the group buy deal is... but I'm getting ready!!!!

even though.... I'll probably only buy 10-15 HD DVDs in the next 12 months..... so will have limited use .... no HD dvds to rent down here yet... no netflix HD DVDs either..... what the hell!

Ive emailed the guy and waiting to hear what type of shipping he is offering at that price.

dazbug,

It isnt Robert from Value Elctronics by any chance youre dealing with? The reason I ask is that I know he's at Cedia this weekend, which would explain not hearing back yet.

DVD Box Office have free international shipping and the Canadian exchange rate is very favorable so I generally find them a little bit cheaper than Amazon - although I usually find my more obscure titles via Amazon.

Btw: Amazon currently have a Special HD DVD Offer: Save an additional 10% on all of your HD DVD purchases for the next year. Purchase three HD DVDs right now, and you'll automatically qualify to receive an additional 10% off all of your high-definition DVD purchases for one year. To receive a 10% discount on your three HD DVDs upon checkout, use this claim code: HDDISC10