'what The Hell Do I Buy' #432

Sorry to post the standard 'what the hell do I buy' questions but I need some pro guidance! I'm looking to take advantage of the Hardly Normal 40 month deal and have $5000 to spend (borrow). Currently all i have is a LG 160GB DVD Record, Denon 3803, Denon 2900 DVD and Krix speakers. Now i'm looking for a screen 40" up plasma or LCD. Would like to future proof myself ( as far as you can) and would like to get a twin tuner PVR HD also. Tried to find a post i once read about having both a STB tun & a HD tun? Any advice? Cheers

Heaps and heaps of glowing reviews for the new Panasonic range on this site. Their 50 inch HD is mighty impressive (as long as the source signal is good - that makes a lot of difference - what are you actually gonna run on the set?) Looks like you have the DVD covered and obvioulsly you will watch HD material on it but for VideoGames steer clear of LCD... Plasma's burn in issues seems to be less of an problem these days and thus I'll take a Plasma's refresh rate over LCD blur/smear-o-trons anytime.

A few of our LCD monitors at work are packing it in already after 1-2 years (albeit they are on a lot more hours of the day continously - one even has Burn-in/Permanent Retention). So I'm not convinced LCD is any more greatly durable than Plasma.

I was tempted too by the Interest Free deals about 6 months ago... are you able to wait and be closer to having the amount in cash though? Xmas is coming up and all. I decided to wait until I had it all in cash, which I do now. The theory is the money is giving you interest in your bank account and every month you wait the prices seem to come down more and more...

The theory is the money is giving you interest in your bank account and every month you wait the prices seem to come down more and more...

Unfortunately every month you wait the number of options go up more and more... :D I came here trying to find advise on a set and now have more questions and have less of an idea on the answer than I did when I started... :blink:

Yeh, the right purchase is incredibly difficult. Watch out for Hardly Normal and JB Ho Hum. I have simply got the incorrect information several times from these stores. The stores I have been to haven't even been able to show me how to use the sets..no remotes on the floor! It's a disgrace. I've had to go straight to the manufacturers help line. I wish all the salespeople where female. Does anyone now if such a person exists in Melbourne? Would definetly take your time and take any females who live with you along to make the decision. The darn things have to be easy to operate as well as look good.

My advice (for what its worth)

LCD

1) Samsumg LA40R71 (incl 3 Yr Manf. Warranty)

2) Sony KLVV40A10 (old V Series)

3) Toshiba 42WLT66 REGZA (IDTV) (incl 5 Yr Manf. Warranty)

Plasma

1) Panasonic TH-50PV60A

2) Panasonic TH-42PV60A

It may be worth waiting just a few more weeks to see if the new Sony X Series delivers even better that the class above? The problem I have is that the X Series is going to cost about $5500 for the 40". That is a bit of a deal breaker even for 1920X1080.

I too have been tempted by the current HN 40 months interest free deal. The Pioneer 50" 506HD - wow, what a great picture! But next to that was a HUGE Yamaha 55" PDM-5520 - wow, what a great picture!

Interestingly they were both on offer for $6500 each - the Yamaha was discounted because it was the final unit in the store. I put a hold on the Yamaha until Friday so I can figure out which way to jump... On the one hand is the beaut Pioneer with HDMI input and a 5 year warranty - on the other hand is the HUGE Yamaha with component input and a 1 year warranty. Both have a great picture, but I can only buy one.

All things being equal I'd take the larger Yamaha home - but things are rarely equal :blink: Also, I can't seem to find much feedbak on the Yamaha, don't know if that's a good thing or not. Any comments or advice on which way I should fall would be much appreciated.

Thanks and sorry to hijack your thread kingbaz :D:P

No worries ovyyus. I wait for you next thread to discuss the theories behind plasma panels in zero gravity.

Seeing as you have raised the HN 40mths, can you not negotiate with them regarding price? Why can you not get the best price with the big three and have them match it. Once they do that, cannot you not say, sorry that's interest free buy the way?

I usually get a good price so I'll let u all no how it goes (probably get banned for life). Has anyone else had any good experiences with cheap prices and interest free?

Thanks to u all for input thus far in making a panel choice!

I too have been tempted by the current HN 40 months interest free deal. The Pioneer 50" 506HD - wow, what a great picture! But next to that was a HUGE Yamaha 55" PDM-5520 - wow, what a great picture!

Interestingly they were both on offer for $6500 each -

If you browse through the Pioneer BP thread here you will see that the Pioneer 50 inch 506HD can be had for $5200 but that might have been for cash.

If you browse through the Pioneer BP thread here you will see that the Pioneer 50 inch 506HD can be had for $5200 but that might have been for cash.

Harvey Norman up here (Brisbane - Qld) have it for $5600, and I saw it next to the Panasonic 50 inch the other day so now I'm 50/50...

They both are great but as I am finding it hard to get a really good deal (to the level some of the other guys on this forum) on the Pana 50 inch, the Pioneer is starting to appeal as when I add Warranty, Delivery and Installation to the Pana they are ending up similar on price.