Dtv For The Rest Of The N W Coast

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marc - I heard from our mutual Ulverstone informant that he was talking to a technician from WIN TV, and that WIN will be turning on all four translators (eg Ulv, Peng, Burnie and Wynyard) at the same time, (Notice NO WIN public notice in paper) - later this year! :mellow:

Makes you wonder what gives?????

Hopefully it's a case of when it rains, it pours up there and now that some action has finally started on a couple of sites the rest won't take too long at all. I can't believe it has taken so long for the rollout to happen up there. I had the realisation the other day that Jan 1st next year will be the 5th anniversary of TDT in Tasmania and there are still major towns who haven't been able to receive it at all!

Installing set top box in West Ulverstone to overcome poor reception and found signals from Kelcey Tier corrupting Heazlewoods Hill translator signals.

Interesting. :unsure:

I'm assuming it's not really a SFN, just frequency re-use.

Ended up getting Mt Barrow digital to solve.

That comment originally referred to ABC/SBS.

Happened again today all stations (different house). Not nice, ran out of time trying to fix. Unfortunately Mt Barrow signals not up to scratch either. Will see what I can pull out of the hat next week.

And I'm assured it's a SFN but this would be well out of the coverage area so I guess it becomes co-channel interference. :(

Edited by M'bozo

That wasn't apparent from measurements I was making last Friday, Saturday & today.

All channels were about equal from my perspective.

Ok, haven't had the promax out to do real measurements yet, but have 2 set top box's on one antenna, these both show about 75-85% signal for all other stations but 55-60% for WIN (sometimes drops to 30-40% causing drop outs) Also have a usb tv stick on separate (external) antenna, the software shows full signal on all other stations but about 75% for WIN. I realise this is not the most accurate way to measure, but it is a pretty fair comparison. BTW I am high on hill in West Ulverstone with line of sight to Heazlewoods Hill and get signal from Mount Barrow which is as good as signal from ULV even with antenna pointed at ULV, all levels same from Barrow. (including WIN) Go figure :huh:

Even with this lower level, WIN performing well ATM, no drops.

BTW I am high on hill in West Ulverstone with line of sight to Heazlewoods Hill and get signal from Mount Barrow which is as good as signal from ULV even with antenna pointed at ULV, all levels same from Barrow. (including WIN) Go figure :huh:

3 of my measurements were at River Rd, Alice St and South Rd West Ulverstone, so I can't figure your readings. But then at your place, it could be different.

The cBERs should be better from Heazlewoods Hill than Mt Barrow. Perhaps your promax will show this if you fire it up.

However, if the signal is high enough in level, I still go for Mt Barrow as the potential reliabillity of the transmissions is better than local.

(I wonder if there will be any announcement in the local paper about digital starting up? I notice there was a letter yesterday in the Advocate about problems with digital reception in Burnie :huh:)

Edited by M'bozo

I ask a small favour if anyone is able to do it, otherwise I will do it myself on my next visit up. Could someone with a meter shoot up to Abbotsham and do a reading up there, my friends live on Edinborough rd and can not pick up from Barrow as they are surrounded by trees, so I would like to let them know if the can get Ulvy from there.

Doesn't matter if nobody can do this as I will be up next month, but thanks to anyone who can!

Dave

Guest d_n_care

Anyone heard about when digital will be available in burnie, just mooved here and was wondering when is all. Tried to get mt barrow but to no avail, live up near park grove, tv reception bad enough now, only getting 35-44db

Anyone heard about when digital will be available in burnie, just mooved here and was wondering when is all. Tried to get mt barrow but to no avail, live up near park grove, tv reception bad enough now, only getting 35-44db

Don't know, possibly some time this year.

If you are up high enough, have the right antenna, oriented correctly, etc etc you might get reception from Mt Barrow.

If unsure, contact one of the local operators from eg Yellow Pages for further advice.

Hi,

I've been receiving TDT, Southern Cross, ABC and SBS from Mt Barrow for the past 2 months, and only in the past few days has Win been coming through clearly. Could this possibly be due to Ulverstone coming online? Also, if I reposition my antenna, is the Ulverstone signal stong enough to make it 30km to Burnie?

Cause surely if Mt Barrow can send its signal over 200km, surely we can pick up Ulverstones signal in Burnie!

And TDT has been having some pixelation problems lately. Are they screwing around with the signal from Mt Barrow or would this be signal interference being caused by the now online Ulverstone Transmitter.

Thanks

I've been receiving TDT, Southern Cross, ABC and SBS from Mt Barrow for the past 2 months, and only in the past few days has Win been coming through clearly. Could this possibly be due to Ulverstone coming online?

No.

Also, if I reposition my antenna, is the Ulverstone signal stong enough to make it 30km to Burnie?

No

Cause surely if Mt Barrow can send its signal over 200km, surely we can pick up Ulverstones signal in Burnie!

No. The transmission power difference explains this. Mt Barrow is 2 000 000 watts and Ulverstone is 40 watts. (These figures are derived from the ACMA web site).

And TDT has been having some pixelation problems lately. Are they screwing around with the signal from Mt Barrow or would this be signal interference being caused by the now online Ulverstone Transmitter.

Unlikely. To receive Mt Barrow from Burnie would require your antenna to be installed by a competent operator who should explain potential reception problems that may arise from outside sources. If this was not the case, see my answer above.

Marc.

Edited by M'bozo