Sign in to follow this  
mrpickle

Lg 76cm Super Slim Crt Tv With Inbuilt Hd Tuner - 32fs4d

What the?

Can one of the more senior forum members confirm this is untrue?

I think it is straight out of the "complaint received and processed manual", otherwise known as C.R.A.P. Unfortunately used all too commonly in the IT industry.

Personally I would be insisting that they either replace the TV with a working one, give money back, or supply a working LG external HD STB at no cost.

I have the same problem! it now is going on for sometime, there are times when it is bad and sometimes not so bad but I can not put up with it anymore.What is everybody doing about it? have we all phoned up Lg and asked them to do something about it! it is not just one person but many more , tell them to look at this site and they will see all the comments.. They need to address this problem quickly for all concerned . I am doing my bit please all do the same...and get this sorted !

Ok - try this....I have and it seems to have fixed it but still not 100% sure....

Use the menu auto channel set up again AFTER the upgrade is done...

Will see how it goes

Ok - try this....I have and it seems to have fixed it but still not 100% sure....

Use the menu auto channel set up again AFTER the upgrade is done...

Will see how it goes

I'm sorry to hear you are all still having problems with this set. I bought the previous model and had to reurn it for other issues (buzzing eht noise, poor geometry, grey line through the screen that wouldn't go away). Damn shame as I feel CRT is still the Gold standard but too bulky, I'll keep dreaming of SED

I don't wanna use the in built digital tuner (I'll keep watching DTV though my topfield), I just want a CRT that will do 720p/1080i for my Xbox360. Does this TV actually display 720p/1080i or does it simply accept them and downscale to 576p etc.

Thanks all :blink: .

Went to Harvey Norman in Dandenong yesterday to look at this LG set and also the Samsung slimfit HD CRT. They were set up side by side and both had a pretty good picture, however I was really dissapointed with the Samsung as it definitely had horrible geometry problems when displaying 4:3 material. I really was quite interested in the Samsung, but after seeing the geometry problems that have been discussed on AVS forums in such detail, I obviously need to reconsider.

I will keep saving my money and will look towards either an LCD or a plasma.

So dissapointed as I really was hoping the Samsung would work out. Oh well!

Hogie,

I thought exactly the same when I saw the Samsung's geometry problems when displaying 4:3 as I too was considering it.

But I'm now starting to think most stuff these days is widescreen and as time goes by 4:3 will become less and less (except for old repeats etc), so wondering if it is really going to be that much of an issue?

I definitely won't be getting the LG after reading these forums!

I don't wanna use the in built digital tuner (I'll keep watching DTV though my topfield), I just want a CRT that will do 720p/1080i for my Xbox360. Does this TV actually display 720p/1080i or does it simply accept them and downscale to 576p etc.

Thanks all :blink: .

Hey Jezza,

I got your PM the other day, but will respond here as the question is pretty much the same.

I returned my LG CRT after having issues with the HD audio sync, and difficulty with adjusting to the flickering images (we'd been used to our Loewe 100Hz set).

I'm not sure about whether it outputs 720p/1080i. All I can tell you is that my XBox 360 looked REALLY good on it. The dashboard menus looked really detailed and slick, moreso than in 720p mode on my 19" LCD monitor. Burnout Revenge was amazing. Basically I could tell the difference, and if it were practical I would have kept the LG as an XBox-only TV.

I think I'm going to give up my quest for a HD CRT and start researching HD LCDs.

So if i had max 2k to spend including a tuner, should i consider this TV? or what suggestion would people have for someone on a 2k budget??

Thanks

So if i had max 2k to spend including a tuner, should i consider this TV? or what suggestion would people have for someone on a 2k budget??

Thanks

I need to find out if the non-tuner LG 76cm actually does display 1080i/720p, then I could recommend it, as it does 100Hz and is only $999.

No HDMI input though (2 component)...

I need to find out if the non-tuner LG 76cm actually does display 1080i/720p, then I could recommend it, as it does 100Hz and is only $999.

No HDMI input though (2 component)...

My gf's old flatmate had one of these with a cheap STB and PQ was good. unuable to tell if it was 1080i though. I have been quoted 1150 for the 32fs4d and for an extra 150 bucks maybe just hope that the tuner isnt suffering from sound sync issue... atleast then i can always buy a HD STB and ill still have HDMI inputs.

My gf's old flatmate had one of these with a cheap STB and PQ was good. unuable to tell if it was 1080i though. I have been quoted 1150 for the 32fs4d and for an extra 150 bucks maybe just hope that the tuner isnt suffering from sound sync issue... atleast then i can always buy a HD STB and ill still have HDMI inputs.

Where you getting it for $1150?

I've looked at the majority of CRT TVs on the market and even thought this one may have some audio sync problems with the hd tuner, it does have a nice lot of inputs including hdmi which most other crts don't offer.

I proberly buy my TV by the end of November so hopefully new CRT models hit the market or LG fix this audio sync peoblem by then.

Where you getting it for $1150?

I've looked at the majority of CRT TVs on the market and even thought this one may have some audio sync problems with the hd tuner, it does have a nice lot of inputs including hdmi which most other crts don't offer.

I proberly buy my TV by the end of November so hopefully new CRT models hit the market or LG fix this audio sync peoblem by then.

Yeah ill be buying at end of november as well. I got that price from JB Hifi. They said if they sell out it takes a while to get them back in because LG arent making heaps of them. Toshiba might be worth considering as an alternate CRT, but i think its lacks the features of the LG and its more expensive, albeit with a bigger screen, but a massively chunky box too

For anyone looking at the Samsung SlimFit 76cm WS32z40HN (without inbuilt digital tuner)- FORGET IT!

Just got a preplacement TV (after 3 weeks) and is still crap- picture is distorted. Have tried to convince myself otherwise as it's so heavy to lug around, but, no. Watching CSI or anything with close up of faces is painful. Am going to get a refund.

Addit: PQ on my old 68cm 4:3 Phillips flat CRT is 100% better (same inputs, comparing like with like).

Wrangler, can I ask if you had the Samsung hooked up to a HD or SD box? and also, were you using component or HDMI?

Im about to buy the Toshiba 36JW9UA (36 inch tube).

has anyone seen any reviews of this or had first hand experience with them.

I really want a plasma but so far I cant see anything that would beat a high end CRT in PQ. I also watch only foxtel most the time which as we know doesnt produce the best signals to display on a plasma/lcd.

Also I currently have a 68cm 4:3 crt tv. Will this new Toshiba 36JW9UA model be larger in size? It states that it is 86cm widescreen. Obviously it's bigger due to widescreen, but will 4:3 tv shows be bigger/smaller on this Toshiba 36JW9UA?

Wrangler, can I ask if you had the Samsung hooked up to a HD or SD box? and also, were you using component or HDMI?

I had it connected with leads out of the box- yellow, white and red (is that RCA?).

Phoned the shop re. disappointing PQ: They suggested connecting via component just using the same yellow, white & red leads ---> PQ improved. After attaching some audio leads, the TV is watchable!

I've got some component leads on order for DVD/ HDD--->TV, plus Scart to component leads for STB--> TV to see if this improves PQ any further (ebay, Selby Acoustics).

STB is SD. I was advised elsewhere on the forum that with a 32" screen, sitting 1.5 m away, there's very little difference between SD and HD.

:blink: I'd love to know why the RCA was fine on one TV, not another (the older Phillips 68cm has component input, too). Is it something peculiar to slimfit CRT models? Am open to ideas, feedback appreciated. I'd compared both sets via STB, straight from wall antenna outlet -->TV, both from DVD/HDD etc.

Well my tv is back after it's second trip to service centre land. Watched a bit of SBS and ABC last night and I'm not 100% sure it's right. Some bits looked ok, others seemed out of sync (didn't help that I was in and out of the room cooking tea). I'm starting to suspect that all they did was reload the firmware that got applied the first time the tv got serviced. But I'll hold off judgement till I watch it a bit more (pity I don't watch much stuff on SBS or ABC).

I have noticed a new issue though. Occasionally channel 7 will come on without sound. Changing channel then going back normal fixes it. This actually happened when the service guys returned the tv. If only I could have pointed out the lip sync issue while they were there, but morning tv gave me a choice of Banana's in Pyjama's on ABC, a world news program where they spoke really quickly on SBS and a travel show with nothing but scenic shots set to music on 7. Ah well, thems the breaks.

On the up side the service mob surprised me. They said they would return the tv between 9:30 and 10am and they showed up at 9:45! Heck of an improvement over the last mob who wanted to give me a return window of Tuesday.

HDMI input on a low grade 76cm CRT is a complete waste of time.

If you can still find an 86cm Toshiba, it would be a much better option then the Samsung.

100Hz operation only allies to standard PAL 576i.

1080i will be displayed at 50Hz ONLY.

My LG also no sound sometimes on a channel and lip sync problems and have had firmware up grade to! please keep us imformed when yours comes back from service 2nd time? so that we know what to do..What does LG say about all these problems?..

Well after another night of watching tv the lip sync problem is still there. My flatmate gave me the bad news last night, he'd spotted it on channel 7. I watched a cooking show on ABC and they tapped a spoon on a bowl twice, and the sound of the spoon hitting the bowl the first time lined up perfectly ... with the second tap of the spoon.

I'm pretty sure they just reloaded the firmware upgrade that I already had. Wish I had of copied down the software version from the service menu before they took it away.

Just had a brain wave ... Tick, what version of software is on your LG tv, and what date did you get it upgraded? I'm thinking that if you got yours upgrade before my first upgrade and we've got the same software version, then I'll have proof that they didn't actually do anything with my tv this time.

Guess it's time to complain to JB's and LG yet again. Was going to do it today, but the day just slipped away (damn 2 hour lunches :blink: )

Hmmm, wandered round the service menu, but couldn't find anything that looked like a software version for the digital tuner. The closest I got was the two versions at the top of the service menus:

CPU Ver: 3.02.0

MIC Ver: V3.00

I'm pretty sure these haven't changed since the last service.

Wrangler, was just curious because I saw the Samsung on display at The Good Guys and the picture was terrible. Seems that they had it set up via the lowest quality connection (perhaps what you initially had).

I asked if they could connect it via component, they did and there was a noticable improvement in picture quality.

HDMI input on a low grade 76cm CRT is a complete waste of time.

If you can still find an 86cm Toshiba, it would be a much better option then the Samsung.

100Hz operation only allies to standard PAL 576i.

1080i will be displayed at 50Hz ONLY.

Owen, does this apply as a general rule for all tv's? Or only the Samsung/LG models being discussed here?

The Toshiba on daily deals.com says it is "High Definition Compatible* (720p/1080i 50/60Hz)", does this mean it displays 720 at 50Hz and 1080 at 60Hz?

Almost all CRT TV’s are limited to display of 720p or 1080i at 50 or 60 Hz only, depending in video source (Oz or US).

100Hz operation is limited to 576i (standard PAL SD) only.

There are a few (very few) CRT TV’s that act like multi sync PC monitors and can operate at a variety of resolutions and refresh rates when driven from a PC.

Have connectedSamsung via new component leads and SD STB. PQ still not as good as my old Phillips 68cm 4:3 CRT! Not good enough for a new model TV, IMHO.