Lg 76cm Super Slim Crt Tv With Inbuilt Hd Tuner - 32fs4d

I tried the analogue signal for you and I can zoom and stretch the picture to fit the screen. Give LG a call and have a chat to them.

But you have the 32FS4D not the LG 32FS2ANB dont you? Any other LG 32FS2ANB owners have a zoom function?

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But you have the 32FS4D not the LG 32FS2ANB dont you? Any other LG 32FS2ANB owners have a zoom function?

I just bought the LG 32FS2ANB and can only switch between 16:9 and 4:3. However, this TV is GREAT! I had never seen such a crisp picture and colour until I watched some DVDs and games on it. :D It's good to be able to play games without the blur of an LCD and watch fast moving sports as well!

Got mine for $750 with a 3 year warranty and couldn't be happier.

I've been looking at a new WS CRT TV for a while now, and it seems very few exist nowadays. :(

I've come across the LG 32FS4D, LG 32FS2ANB and Samsung WS32Z40HN.

I'd also like to know how the models differ (both LGs as well as the Samsung).

One thing I've noticed, while the 32FS24D has an inbuilt (somewhat shoddy) digital tuner, from what I can find out it seems to be missing Picture-In-Picture functionality. This alone puts it below the previous 32FS2ANB model IMO.

Last time I checked JB was getting rid of the 2ANB's, so unless I buy the Samsung I may have to hurry up and get one.

Another thing I would like to know:

I'm a retro fan. I still have my NES and SNES in pride of place near my TV.

All these CRTs are 100Hz. Can they be used with 'lightguns'? Either in 100Hz, or switched back to 50/60Hz?

You may be laughing at me, but thats actually one of my priorities in buying a new TV: can I still play Duck Hunt? :blush:

I've been looking at a new WS CRT TV for a while now, and it seems very few exist nowadays. :(

One thing I've noticed, while the 32FS24D has an inbuilt (somewhat shoddy) digital tuner, from what I can find out it seems to be missing Picture-In-Picture functionality. This alone puts it below the previous 32FS2ANB model IMO.

Last time I checked JB was getting rid of the 2ANB's, so unless I buy the Samsung I may have to hurry up and get one.

I was told at JB that they were getting a lot of requests for this set, but stocks were drying up in most stores, they seemed to have plenty in Frankston though (if you are in Vic.)

I generally get the impression the 24D has more functions than the ANB, but am not aware about PIP, the ANB does have it though. Going by the huge amounts of posts on this forum, both are good sets, but the 24D is let down by it's tuner. I'm still a bit surprised the ANB only has two picture formats, (4:3 and 16:9) which is a bit limited in this day and age.

Edited by Hawk-eye

Ah well...it had to happen! After 5 months my 34fs4d has packed it in. Out of nowhere 16:9 started to look like 4:3 with over an inch of black bar on either side. Told to turn it off as it will only get worse and could overheat and blowup. Of course its a known fault...seriously people, steer clear of this TV. For the likes of LG to know this tv overheats and melts parts and causes explosions..hence risking your home and families lives and hasnt had a total recall is beyond belief. :angry:

Ah well...it had to happen! After 5 months my 34fs4d has packed it in. Out of nowhere 16:9 started to look like 4:3 with over an inch of black bar on either side. Told to turn it off as it will only get worse and could overheat and blowup. Of course its a known fault...seriously people, steer clear of this TV. For the likes of LG to know this tv overheats and melts parts and causes explosions..hence risking your home and families lives and hasnt had a total recall is beyond belief. :angry:

Have you contacted LG or the retailer? If so, what did they have to say?

Yes I rang LG..after trying a few things and got no result the young woman then asked her co-workers who told her that yes its a problem and to ring the service centre in my town. Its getting picked up by courier today so will report back what the problem was when I eventually get the tv back.

Serial number is 701 and I had no other issues but for lip sync which the firmware update fixed..though not 100%.

Just to add...while speaking to the technician from the local service centre, he advised me that there was a NEW firmware update since the last one. Will find out more when I can.

Edited by xnikx

I have this TV now sicne Janurary and in June it failed big time, that Model had the HD lip Sync issue, as well as the speaker hissing, and always had to be degaussed. Switching from Component back to the Tuner, the tube didnt fire up, it had a failed tube, that just would not start up. It sounded like it was trying, but just couldn't. The repairer thought it the the Horizontal switcher, which as mentioned above, is a known problem, but no it was the tube. they can not/do not replace the tubes on this model, so they needed to replace the entire TV.

9 1/2 weeks to replace after the orginal 2 weeks testing and diagnoses. ridiculous, and I had nothing but trouble with the staff at LG, with guys claiming to be Team Leaders with the Team Leader was sick etc. Just a Nightmare - this happened after 4 .5 months of use. and I was offered 1 month extra warranty as a sign of good faith!

so anyway, 2 weeks ago, it appears the same thing as happened. Switching from Component back to the Tuner, the tube didnt fire up. it took almost 2 weeks to come to pick the TV up (I'm regional NSW) the guy tried to do the Horizontal switcher fix again (a clunky solder and wireing job and Xbox mod installer would not be proud of)

I'm waiting for them to say its the tube again, but this time they cannot replace it, as they are no longer shipping this TV. so I will get a refund or store credit if it is..

Stay away from this TV, and LG where possible.

Sounds like a lot of people are having problems.

XnixkX, have you managed to fill your screen with a widescreen picture? rather than choose 16:9 which seems to simply stretch the format horizontally?

At the moment I am not able to fill my widescreen watching DVD's, it just comes out with black borders at the top and bottom and sides, as if you were watching it on a normal TV and forgets about the extra side dimensions. Is this what the zoom function would compensate for? Unfortunately the 32FS2ANB doesn't seem to come with zoom, unless my set is missing some features.

So to recap, can anyone get a widescreen DVD to fill the entire screen without distortion on these TVs, especially the 32FS2ANB?

Edited by Hawk-eye

Sounds like a lot of people are having problems.

XnixkX, have you managed to fill your screen with a widescreen picture? rather than choose 16:9 which seems to simply stretch the format horizontally?

At the moment I am not able to fill my widescreen watching DVD's, it just comes out with black borders at the top and bottom and sides, as if you were watching it on a normal TV and forgets about the extra side dimensions. Is this what the zoom function would compensate for? Unfortunately the 32FS2ANB doesn't seem to come with zoom, unless my set is missing some features.

So to recap, can anyone get a widescreen DVD to fill the entire screen without distortion on these TVs, especially the 32FS2ANB?

Yes..the ZOOM is what I use..though you lose 1-2cm left and right of the picture. Movies will almost always have bars at the top and bottom unlike the movies shown on FTA channels. If you zoom movies you lose way too much picture anyway so its not worth it.

Okay XnikX, I dont even have a zoom so wondering how the hell I'm to use the widescreen at all, watching a widescreen movie means black bars top and bottom AND sides. So I'm basically only using about two-thirds of the screen at the moment.

Okay XnikX, I dont even have a zoom so wondering how the hell I'm to use the widescreen at all, watching a widescreen movie means black bars top and bottom AND sides. So I'm basically only using about two-thirds of the screen at the moment.

Yes you do, its the ARC button. try cycling though the options 16:9 14:9 4:3 etc etc

:angry: welcome to the wonderful world of LG......I have the 32FS4d and a LG DBRH1979 HDD/DVD. The TV has had 3 software upgrades (sync, freezing etc) and the DVD has had the Mpeg & HDMI boards and the PCB assembly replaced.

Still struggling with a sound dropout problem - TV via aerial or TV via DVD using AV cables - no problems. But TV via DVD using HDMI is a whole new ballgame. TV still ok when on aerial input and when switched to HDMI input mode the TV works ok (can view TV channels via the DVD with no problem) - but when replaying from the HD recorder or when playing a prerecorded DVD, we start with sound ok but it then drops out completely from not only the show we are watching but also from TV channels via the DVD unit - change the TV back to aerial input and we have normal sound.

LG just cannot fix this - now being told that the HDMI cable can only transmit pictures and I need a separate sound cable??????? But they can't explain why I can get picture and sound with only the HDMI cable - at least for intermittent periods.

almost ready to give up!

• 2 weeks later...
I have this TV now sicne Janurary and in June it failed big time, that Model had the HD lip Sync issue, as well as the speaker hissing, and always had to be degaussed. Switching from Component back to the Tuner, the tube didnt fire up, it had a failed tube, that just would not start up. It sounded like it was trying, but just couldn't. The repairer thought it the the Horizontal switcher, which as mentioned above, is a known problem, but no it was the tube. they can not/do not replace the tubes on this model, so they needed to replace the entire TV.

9 1/2 weeks to replace after the orginal 2 weeks testing and diagnoses. ridiculous, and I had nothing but trouble with the staff at LG, with guys claiming to be Team Leaders with the Team Leader was sick etc. Just a Nightmare - this happened after 4 .5 months of use. and I was offered 1 month extra warranty as a sign of good faith!

so anyway, 2 weeks ago, it appears the same thing as happened. Switching from Component back to the Tuner, the tube didnt fire up. it took almost 2 weeks to come to pick the TV up (I'm regional NSW) the guy tried to do the Horizontal switcher fix again (a clunky solder and wireing job and Xbox mod installer would not be proud of)

I'm waiting for them to say its the tube again, but this time they cannot replace it, as they are no longer shipping this TV. so I will get a refund or store credit if it is..

Stay away from this TV, and LG where possible.

Well Well - it lasted three days this time before it stopped again, doing the same thing! and now that was about 3 weeks ago! The tube keep blowing the components. of course the cannot replace the tube, nor are they shipping the TV anymore, so I am about to be owner of a new 32LC7D LCD screen as a replacement. it should arrive monday. Long story short - I've had the TV for 11months, I have been without for just under 5 months now of that time. Great service LG, terrific stuff. The people there are rude, they never give you are call back, and team leaders are always "In meetings"

I even had the local service centre hang up on LG because they where so rude to them, and demanded extraordinary things.

I'm keeping the LG LCD because its free, and comes with 3 years warranty, which I better not have to use. I called yesterday and they said after being on hold, the new TV was to ship then. Called today, and the RA wasn't even in the system! its lies like that to get you off the phone. demand to speak to someone higher where possible!

If you speak to a LG rep when you have a problem tell them there are known problems with this unit! in particular the Horizontal switcher transformer, which can cause parts to overheat, and you dont want it back.

Its a great TV, if only it didnt have problems.

Another thing I would like to know:

I'm a retro fan. I still have my NES and SNES in pride of place near my TV.

All these CRTs are 100Hz. Can they be used with 'lightguns'? Either in 100Hz, or switched back to 50/60Hz?

You may be laughing at me, but thats actually one of my priorities in buying a new TV: can I still play Duck Hunt? :blush:

TV Can't use lightguns. I tried the G-con 1 and 2 with Time Crisis games on the PS2 and didn't work. All newer TVs dont seem to work with the lightguns. However the G-Con 3 is coming out soon with Time Crisis 4 on the PS3 which will work with all new TVs. Also I think the Wii Zapper gun also works with new TVs

Could someone shed some light on the "Horizontal switcher transformer" problem. Which exactly is this?

My 32fs4d TV's picture has know shrunk in size. Instead of displaying the full 16:9 in 16:9 mode, it only shows a picture abit larger than 4:3 with the picture shrunk down and compressed to fit that size making the people on screen look thinner than there meant to be.

Anyone else had this program and know what its caused by. Something with the picture tube I'd imagine.

My warranties run out but paid for a 2 yr extended warranty from the Good Guys. However they didn't give me any info on it except that it shows on my receipt.

Edited by mrpickle

Could someone shed some light on the "Horizontal switcher transformer" problem. Which exactly is this?

My 32fs4d TV's picture has know shrunk in size. Instead of displaying the full 16:9 in 16:9 mode, it only shows a picture abit larger than 4:3 with the picture shrunk down and compressed to fit that size making the people on screen look thinner than there meant to be.

Anyone else had this program and know what its caused by. Something with the picture tube I'd imagine.

My warranties run out but paid for a 2 yr extended warranty from the Good Guys. However they didn't give me any info on it except that it shows on my receipt.

My tv did the same and I was told by LG to get it serviced straight away. Ring LG and get it serviced ASAP as techs have told me it could catch fire. Mine took 4 weeks before I got it back and was told it was the Horizontal switcher transformer. NEW part mind you...so lets see how long it lasts. This tv is no longer anyhow as all stores I have contacted now have run out of stock. Dying to see what type of replacement LG bring out IF any.

On another note..the pickup guys I spoke to said NEVER buy LG tv's again..as they are run off their feet picking up LG plasmas/LCD's/CRT's on a daily basis. They mentioned they rarely see Sony. Just the usual saying of "you get what you pay for".

My 2nd 32fs4d, serial No 706 is going fine so far after 6 weeks. *touches wood*

Edited by xnikx

• 1 month later...

Just got my set back from the repair guys. They said they had to replace the mainboard. Tested it and found that now the picture gets cut off both sides and picture isn't centered on screen. Hopefully they can come out and fix it on the spot. I've just about had it with this TV. Never buying LG again. It's a Sony for me next time.

Got mine back too. Blew up again due to the horizontal switch not being replaced properly as per the LG bulletin sent out to techs. Parts this time include....

Flyback Transformer T8

22 2W Upgrade Resistor

1.80HM 2W FNS02T3J1R80

2000V 2.2nF Capacitor

1600V 10nF Capacitor

Q423 Transistor

.47 2W Upgrade

*rolls eyes*

• 6 months later...
I bought this tv two weeks ago...24 september from The Good Guys Robina..Gold Coast

Its FANTASTIC!!!

had an electronic expert set it up with our dvd surround sound..and WOW!!

he's got it, so u can listen to the tv/dvd/video thru the 5 surround sound speakers + subwoofer + two tv speakers ( which u can adjust the treble/bass etc)...incredible movie theatre sound...even with just the tv speakers working..the way the sound is..it seperates the background sound from the speach and sound doesnt blurr etc..a problem older tvs have with the newer tv shows 'realistic' sounds

u have approx 6 color scheme choices + u can create ur own..theres two 'user' choices to do this

also 1 user choice for sound..again u have approx 6 sound choices eg movie, sport...

just let ur tv automatically set up the channels, u cant do too much with that..just write down the numbers + stations..easy

the expert we had, said, dont buy lcd, plasma, rear projector etc...after 1 -2 years things always go wrong and in the small print of the warrenty, it doesnt cover what usually goes wrong eg tube in the rear projector etc..crts have a long history and the bugs are worked out...with the slim line..definitly get the extended warrenty, but no reason to have problems etc..

with the black surroundings of the screen, when a show is in analogue 4:3 u dont notice the black bars...

i would sooo reccommend this TV...and The Good Guys with their fantastic service + 30 day warrenty if u see it cheaper etc..is a reassurance.

u use it a bit like 'microsoft windows' with its side by side menus, easy to use...