Lg 76cm Super Slim Crt Tv With Inbuilt Hd Tuner - 32fs4d

Looking at the latest WOW online catalogue and see they are still pumping them out at $1199 with inbuilt tuner.

Out of interest, I realise that CRT specs are a bit different to Panels as they use scanning rather than "addressable" pixels, but what is the actual native resolution of these sets? is it 720 lines or 1080?

Very interested in a second set as I currently have the old Sony 51cm and I love the glowing colours - sort of like comparing a nice tungsten light globe to a flouro if you know what I mean!! The 51cm is just a bit small and of course not WS. And even on the small screen the pixels are very noticeable at 576 lines.

Also can you tell me: is the refresh rate 100hz or 50hz? at 50hz I find CRTs very flickery, having become used to the rock-steady picture on an LCD.

Cheers

Michael, Bribie Island

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the latest WOW online catalogue and see they are still pumping them out at $1199 with inbuilt tuner.

Out of interest, I realise that CRT specs are a bit different to Panels as they use scanning rather than "addressable" pixels, but what is the actual native resolution of these sets? is it 720 lines or 1080?

Very interested in a second set as I currently have the old Sony 51cm and I love the glowing colours - sort of like comparing a nice tungsten light globe to a flouro if you know what I mean!! The 51cm is just a bit small and of course not WS. And even on the small screen the pixels are very noticeable at 576 lines.

Also can you tell me: is the refresh rate 100hz or 50hz? at 50hz I find CRTs very flickery, having become used to the rock-steady picture on an LCD.

Cheers

Michael, Bribie Island

What is this WOW online catalogue that you speak of? Got a link to it?

WOW Sight and Sound may well be a Queensland only franchise, they are like good guys and Harveys but without the fridges and vacuum cleaners, sort of like Harveys computer section and home ent. sections combined with JB hifi thrown in for good measure. Big stores with big display areas and becoming people's first stop in QLD.

Yup, just checked, QLD only plus Darwin:

http://www.wowwicked.com.au/

probably one of the best online catalogues around.

I find that when i change channel from 10 sd to 10 hd there is a definite improvement in pq, but sd channels are still excellent. Sometimes also hear a high pitch buzz noise? goes away by itself :S

Anthony, I have also had this high pitch buzzing noise issue with 2 sets now. Is it just that i have superhuman hearing or is anyone else hearing this painful noise? It actually gets to the point where i have to turn the t.v off - it comes from the back of the box and even if i turn the speaker off, the noise persists, albeit intermittantly

I returned the t.v to the store (had it for 2 weeks over either side of Christmas) and they replaced it for me. 2nd t.v also has the same problem although this set doesnt make me feel like I'm about to pass out . Spoke to the manager of BL (had to call him back at one point cause he hung up on me) and was told that he would get a service guy out because LG need to know there's a problem. This sounds like a load of crap to me as the t.v has had the sound issue from day one and I shouldnt be the test-bed for an obvious design flaw.

I spoke to the service guy and he said that it's a known issue and that it can only be fixed by putting insulation into the t.v which doesnt actually fix it, it just makes it so you 'almost' cant hear the noise. Rrrright.

As much as I like aspects of this t.v - $, PQ, options etc, I'm gettin my money back if they dont replace this set.

lol, well, I'm not quite there yet :D

The latest is I've been told its my aerial and I have to change it. Kinda hard as I live in a block of units. BL have wioped their hands of it as apparantly, there's a process to follow which is - I have to go back to LG and report the issue so they'll fix it. I have to change my aerial :blink: gimme a break.

Just to humour myself, I'm gonna call LG .....

lol, well, I'm not quite there yet :D

The latest is I've been told its my aerial and I have to change it. Kinda hard as I live in a block of units. BL have wioped their hands of it as apparantly, there's a process to follow which is - I have to go back to LG and report the issue so they'll fix it. I have to change my aerial :blink: gimme a break.

Just to humour myself, I'm gonna call LG .....

I'm getting the noise too. As well as the ghosting. The TV was taken away by Clive Peeters electrical contractor the other day. While it doesn't bother me too much, im very annoyed that I buy a new TV that is clearly faulty and every ****er I ring up tells me to "explain the problem" again so they can decide if I'm telling the truth or not. When I explained the problem to the woman from the contractor she told me "well it can't be that because that TV doesn't have pixels."

**** me.

Just a noob question - does the 32fs4d display ntsc? got a couple of us dvds that won't work otherwise (the website doesn't seem to say).

Also, I was looking at these at hn today and noticed the slight lipsink problem on hd channels. Is this only limited to the hd channels, or is the audio out on the sd channels as well? Considering the lack of hd content in melbourne, i'm not too fussed about hd programming for now, just more interested in having just the one remote for watching tv.

EDIT: rofl, "tv doesn't have pixels". what the hell?

Edited by hoges

Has anybody had the same experiences as me with 32fs4d?

Minor irritations

Mine often loses the favourites which have to be re-programmed.

Lip sync, which I have been told is due to the local broadcast of channel 7/PRIME (HD channel 60 - Canberra)

Major Irritation

The TV picture freezes, but not the sound. The remote becomes useless other than to switch off and on. When it returns the screen moves through a few seconds of frames and freezes again. The first time it was sent back and a software upgrade installed, but the techs could not find an error.

It has happened again a few times and a complete power disconnect has fixed the problem, but tonight it hasn't yet.

It is almost as if the parental control has kicked in and blocked the picture but not the sound. No controls have been set, but if it loses the favourites who knows what it may be gaining instead.

Edited by Jt2

Has anybody had the same experiences as me with 32fs4d?

Yes, the favourites disappear on my mine as well.

I get lip sync problems on ABC, SBS and 7 ... I think it's all the 576p and 720p HD broadcasts ... well, not the broadcasts, but the tv's attempt at decoding them...

Haven't had the other issues you mentioned. Sounds like your dud is worse than mine (although it's perfect according to the service mobs...)

Another minor irritation is that when I change to the analog tuner I always get a couple of bursts of white noise through the speakers.

Yes, the favourites disappear on my mine as well.

I get lip sync problems on ABC, SBS and 7 ... I think it's all the 576p and 720p HD broadcasts ... well, not the broadcasts, but the tv's attempt at decoding them...

Haven't had the other issues you mentioned. Sounds like your dud is worse than mine (although it's perfect according to the service mobs...)

Another minor irritation is that when I change to the analog tuner I always get a couple of bursts of white noise through the speakers.

I don't have lip sync problems with any other channel on HD. 7/Prime is broadcast on channels 60 and 61 for HD and 6 for SD. The problem only occurs on one. I said it was on 60 the other day, but stand corrected. That is the one we now use and 61 was the one with the problem.

The HD has a distinct delay over analog. This is noticable when the same program is on in the morning in the bedroom analog set. The adverts are also different. HD is often from remote locations.

Another problem is starting to emerge. Pressing favourites often comes up with a "no signal" message. But is OK when the channel is selected by its number.

My config is through LG DR4812W DVD recorder. Pass through coax for normal HD viewing. Component cables from the DVD recorder. The DVD and TV push the sound to a Cambridge amp and Richter speakers. The amp also has input to the TV via AV1 for amp configuration stuff. The areal is external roof mounted with clear view of the transmitter on local hilltop about 2km away.

I don't use any analog channels on the TV or any radio channels.

The set was purchased from the first delivery batches into Canberra. I didn't want an LCD and Plasma was too big for the wall unit. This TV has about 1 mm gap on either side. Ideal size, has HD tuner built in and appropriate connections.

It could be improved if inputs could be disabled to avoid having to go through every option, which takes a few seconds each before accepting the next button press.

I think somebody has already suggested an improvement to reprogram station numbers would be good so they only had 1 digit.

Interesting question.

1. Before I bought the TV I had a STB to check what was available in the area before investing in a TV. I took the STB back because it had lip sync problems.

2. As the TV is already with HD tuner I have no need to buy one again to check. So.....

3. Assuming the problem is with the broadcast, the lip sync would occur no matter what TV brand or STB was being used.

4. The Tech who took the TV away for initial repair (for the picture locking problem) said the lip sync problem was universal for this area, indicating STB would also have the problem. This indicated my original complaint for returning the STB was incorrect, but I got my money back anyway and went on to buy the TV.

Generally the basic sound and picture are very good, except for the niggling usability problems.

I'll rephrase the question. Would there be any lip sync troubles with the TV for someone, like me, who lives in the central west area of NSW? Whether with an external tuner or the built-in one.

I'll rephrase my answer.

If there is a lip sync problem with the broadcast it doesn't matter what device you use, or where you are located, unless you have some clever devise that can compensate and resynchronise.

That's too bad. Still, seems most users here with one of these TVs aren't bothered by the lip sync issue much now. I guess with time, it would grow on you to the point of not noticing it anymore. And, there is always the analogue transmission too, I suppose.

I will still consider getting this if my Samsung CRT doesn't come back soon. You can only imagine how I feel about how much I've been screwed over!

Hi All, Purchased the LG 32FS4D last month(Jan 07), out of the box had sync issues with HD/STD on ABC1, ABC2, SBS, 7 etc. Got service agent out within week to update firmware from Cpu Ver: 3.04.0 to Cpu Ver:3.02.0, problem did not improve in fact got worse, same service agent came out 2 weeks later and reloaded/updated again to Cpu Ver: 3.02.0 no improvement. Service agent indicated that no more could be done. Am puzzled why firmware version went down rather than up. LG and service agent could not advise on firmware versions or future releases.

Good TV other than the annoying sync issue which makes watching HD channels unsettling. Will likely return for refund, and try another TV.

Guest PaulGraham

Since the main complaint with this TV seems to be the lip sync issues, what are the differences between this model and the one without the digital tuner?

Thanks. Paul.

The difference's are minor.

The "without" hd tuner model has no HDMI and only one component but other than that its identical.

I had a problem with mine with a image quality issue but I just lucked out with getting a faulty set. It's being repaired and the only issues I have are with the useless pricks that took it to fix it, not with the set itself.

I am looking at picking up a HD LG tuner from Clive Peeters for $130 down from $400 and have seen this tuner attached to the TV in store. The picture was flawless and the sound was perfect. There are no lip sync issues with this model and a HD box attached to it. The only repeat issues seem to stem from the HD model (32FS4D) and it's lip sync.

Unfortunately, no HDMI makes this TV useless to me. Even one HDMI would be enough for me to keep an eye on it.

STILL waiting for my Samsung to come back too. Personally, the repair people + Samsung taking THIS long to remedy the problem is shitting me off big time! I'll call them Tuesday and demand a final answer!!

As for the 32FS4D, Myers had one on display next to another TV, and they were playing the same thing, via an external STB. Only the other TV had sound playing, but by listening to it and looking at the 32FS4D, there did not seem to be any lip sync problem!

Lucky break for this particular TV, perhaps?

EDIT: If it isn't returned by the end of February, I'll just go ahead and buy another TV from somewhere (be it the same TV or an entirely new one, I haven't decided yet)!

As for the 32FS4D, Myers had one on display next to another TV, and they were playing the same thing, via an external STB. Only the other TV had sound playing, but by listening to it and looking at the 32FS4D, there did not seem to be any lip sync problem!

Lucky break for this particular TV, perhaps?

The problem that causes the lip sync issue relates to the firware of the internal set top box. If you use an external set top box there will be no sync issues.