Kogan Lcd Tv's

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BRAND NEW 46" 117cm KOGAN LCD TV Samsung panel 1080i

Beware eBayers. This is a very bad 3rd class quality item from China, made by Hundong Shandong Electronics Limited., (same people making Space brand HDTV & Satellite receivers selling on eBay). I have had so many problems with this 46" I bought from Betta Electricals 4 months back. And after a number of calls and emails I have no response yet. After visiting the store a number of time I was given a support number which no one ever answers and Betta Electricals say we are only sellers.

You will note all the people who are genuine bidders name will come up in eBay, but the seller jacks up the price by this “PRIVATE LISTING - BIDDERS' IDENTITIES PROTECTED”. This is the seller himself. If you don't believe me just bid a small amount and see your name will show up, but the others will be “PRIVATE LISTING - BIDDERS' IDENTITIES PROTECTED”.

Please email me on vigeos@tpg.com.au for any information you require. I will be most happy to show you the truth. Trust me, by a branded LCD you will be happy. Remember nothing good comes cheap in this world. How come this 46" is for $1800.00 with the Samsung panel. Where as, the Samsung 46" panel itself is for $5407.00 dollars? And a Sony 46" is for $11000.00+

Beware eBayers. This is a very bad 3rd class quality item from China, made by Hundong Shandong Electronics Limited., (same people making Space brand HDTV & Satellite receivers selling on eBay). I have had so many problems with this 46" I bought from Betta Electricals 4 months back. And after a number of calls and emails I have no response yet. After visiting the store a number of time I was given a support number which no one ever answers and Betta Electricals say we are only sellers.

You will note all the people who are genuine bidders name will come up in eBay, but the seller jacks up the price by this “PRIVATE LISTING - BIDDERS' IDENTITIES PROTECTED”. This is the seller himself. If you don't believe me just bid a small amount and see your name will show up, but the others will be “PRIVATE LISTING - BIDDERS' IDENTITIES PROTECTED”.

Please email me on vigeos@tpg.com.au for any information you require. I will be most happy to show you the truth. Trust me, by a branded LCD you will be happy. Remember nothing good comes cheap in this world. How come this 46" is for $1800.00 with the Samsung panel. Where as, the Samsung 46" panel itself is for $5407.00 dollars? And a Sony 46" is for $11000.00+

I thought Kogan said the tv's are only available online?

Only available from them online it seems. Available badged differently elsewhere.

This is a very bad 3rd class quality item from China, made by Hundong Shandong Electronics Limited., (same people making Space brand HDTV & Satellite receivers selling on eBay). I have had so many problems with this 46" I bought from Betta Electricals 4 months back

Maxine... I think you should probably put a heading "Beware of the wide-ranging statements I am going to put in this post as they are completely general and potentially not relevant to this thread".

The guy from Kogan has already stated earlier in this thread that he sources his product from China and makes the decision as to what componentry goes in at the time of source.

You can go to any number of "Buy from China" websites that show Plasma and LCD TV's looking very similar to the one that Kogan sells. Examples are GTE Technology and Grandview Manufacturing.

I have never seen a Kogan brand in any Betta Electrical store (now HomeElectrix here in Victoria) and I have spent a fair amount of time in my local store as I have recently purchased a number of items from there. One of the items purchased was a 46" Rotel Digital LCD TV which is, to all intents and purposes, is the same as the Kogan as it is one of the "generic" Chinese products. I make this statement as the Kogan picture of both the TV and the TV Remote Control are exactly the same as what I have. (Please.. no replies commenting on the right or wrong of the product name. There is another thread on this forum for that.)

Other examples of "similar products" are the Highpoint TVs being sole by Deals Direct online and the TVs being sold through Discount Electrical Centres (DEC).

I have had nothing but excellent service from the Betta Electrical store, to the extent that they replaced my Samsung Home Theatre with a completely different, and more expensive, product when their service company couldn't fix it and there was going to be a delay in getting replacement parts from Korea.

I would like to state that I have had no problems with my "generic" Chinese product, and am completely happy with its abilities. In fact, I have had more problems with the "major branded" products.

Cheers, Chris

I would like to state that I have had no problems with my "generic" Chinese product, and am completely happy with its abilities. In fact, I have had more problems with the "major branded" products.

Most of the majors have products coming out of China anyway, the difference between them and generic goods is getting smaller all the time :blink:

Likewise I'm not sure of Maxine's motivation, seems almost just like an attack more than anything

Ok - nervous post buy research... I just bought one of these 32" Kogan's on Ebay last night - have not got it yet so hoping it is good - was I stupid?

Anyone else here buy one and happy/regrettful about it?

I googled Kogan to find this place so am not a fan boy... yet! :D

I got it for $922 + postage though so if you ignore the Aiko you can now buy at BigW for $998 I think I did alright as long as the product does not suck to much...

Although following this link - seems he has sold them for $890 in the past - but that never showed up in my eBay past sale searches :blink:

Saw a DSE branded 32" er Yesterday and although it was also cheap $999 I must say it was the worst detail, colours etc I have seen on a LCD... just hope this one is better...

In dicksmiths favour I should qualify why I think their display sucked - it was probably more to do with the cheap $10 splitter they where using and the cheap RCA cables that connected all the display TV's together.

My main concern now after reading this and some other forums is that Kogan has not answered some very direct and important questions - to late for me obviously as I have bought but for others:

1) What is his dead / stuck pixel policy?

2) He claims same panel as Samsung - but what generation? current or out of date version I think some one here mentioned 2 types available - generic PVA or high end S-PVA or what ever it was that Samsung and Sony actually use...

Lastly whilst the contrast etc is good spec wise for price - it is interesting to note the 450 brightness as apposed to the 500 to 600 typically found on retail versions.

Anyway - When I get my 32"er in "24 hour delivery" I will come back and post a (fingers crossed) decent review... that is if my wife does not kill me first for spending the cash :P

Saw a DSE branded 32" er Yesterday and although it was also cheap $999 I must say it was the worst detail, colours etc I have seen on a LCD... just hope this one is better...

In dicksmiths favour I should qualify why I think their display sucked - it was probably more to do with the cheap $10 splitter they where using and the cheap RCA cables that connected all the display TV's together.

My main concern now after reading this and some other forums is that Kogan has not answered some very direct and important questions - to late for me obviously as I have bought but for others:

As you said it is now too late to do anything about it..

If the DSE display you saw was bad, what makes you think the Kogan will fare better especially when you bought it online without seeing it in flesh?

In regards to the dead pixel, since Kogan hasn't bothered to answer the question I would wager it's non existent.

In regards to the Samsung panel, it has been said many times that even if they use Samsung panel, if the electronics behind it are bad then it is not much use.

Yeah I am hoping that is the case - just got the post last minute jitters! :blink:

And to BDD - I am an Electronic Engineer by trade so yeah I know the electronics behind the screen play a huge part but the screen itself is a crucial building block - if that is no good then it does not matter how good your software or control circuit is!!

Yeah I am hoping that is the case - just got the post last minute jitters! :D

And to BDD - I am an Electronic Engineer by trade so yeah I know the electronics behind the screen play a huge part but the screen itself is a crucial building block - if that is no good then it does not matter how good your software or control circuit is!!

I think he is his own worst enemy in a way,because he gives the impression of being a bit too smart-ahem -a used car type-but his customers sure seem to be happy,more than 98%.

98% sure it will be OK :blink:

Sorry for the lack of posts lately - I've been busy sourcing 26" panels and creating our own POWER MEDIA CENTRE (open source solution) due to be released early next year.

The above post absolutely shocked me! - I HAVE NEVER DISTRIBUTED MY PRODUCT TO BETTA ELECTRICAL!

In terms of "Private Listings" - this is done to protect all our buyers from unscrupulous members offering dodgy second chance offers (this will no longer be the case because from tonight eBay is introducing a new system where all auctions above a certain amount - I think it's $200 - will automatically become a private listing)

The reason this buyer could still see their ID is because the eBay system does not keep your OWN bid private from YOU.

Please have a look through our feedback - we have had great Feedback for this unit including:

"WHAT A SELLER-GREAT ITEM-FANTASIC COMMUNICATION-$4000 CHEAPER THAN HARVEY NORMAN"

Ebay Member: **ellaangel**

KOGAN DISPLAY DAY will happen - I will post details about this in mid December

Hi Kogan - I hope you got my eBay message / PM here / Sales@kogan email :blink:

I look forward to receiving my purchase (0ztoys), and hope I can provide your products with a favourable review here. As people can see I am a nervous buyer so my review will be honest and factual.

Been working in the Electronics industry for over 10 years now - so this wont be the first product I have reviewed but it will be the first one of this size and price I have bought in a while for personal use, so I hope all ends well! :D

Hi Kogan - I hope you got my eBay message / PM here / Sales@kogan email :blink:

I look forward to receiving my purchase (0ztoys), and hope I can provide your products with a favourable review here. As people can see I am a nervous buyer so my review will be honest and factual.

Been working in the Electronics industry for over 10 years now - so this wont be the first product I have reviewed but it will be the first one of this size and price I have bought in a while for personal use, so I hope all ends well! :D

Well noted - I have instructed the shipping department to provide you with a FREE wall mount!

Your review on this forum will be much appreciated - real user experiences are the best indication to other members about the quality of our products.

If I buy one of your LCD's, do I get a free wall mount too ?

For Dr. Smith...definately :blink:

ShadowKnyght sent a very polite email after his purchase quoting my previous post where I offered a free wall mount. Even though it was a post I made for a very old eBay listing, I obliged because I am always very happy when any customers suggest that they will review my product - Kogan Technologies doesn't have the marketing budgets of Sony & Samsung et al.

Good night everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest HoPeFuLLL

Can you reread this thread please Mr Kogan guy and answer such questions as:

The 32" is a widescreen TV, why does it appear to stretch images rather than displaying them in their correct format?

Can you reread this thread please Mr Kogan guy and answer such questions as:

The 32" is a widescreen TV, why does it appear to stretch images rather than displaying them in their correct format?

This all depends on whether you are using a digital set top box or not.

Analog TV is broadcast in 4:3

Digital TV is broadcast in 16:9

When you connect a Widescreen TV to an analog input, you have several options on how you wish to scale it. One of these options is to stretch it out to the whole screen, the other option is view it in letterbox where you get 2 black patches either side of the screen and the 4:3 image appears undistorted.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need anymore info and I'll be happy to give you a call.

Here we go. First time poster here. However, long time reader. I am not Kogan’s son/brother/sister/friend/lovechild etc... Just been interested in this thread for a few weeks now. (Thread helped with my decision to buy.)

I recently purchased a 46" LCD from Kogan. Here is my review with the equipment I’m running.

I haven’t finalised the install, so i tested it with internal tuner, DVD, SD set top box.

I purchased on a Thursday. Was delivered on a Monday. +++++

Quality packaging ensuring safe delivery.+++++

Super easy to install and set-up. I have it on a standard wall mount($50 ebay job). Came with he screws in the back ready to install. Easiest install so far.+++++

Plenty of inputs ++++++

Comp x 2, component, HDMI, VGA

Nitty Gritty

To my surprise the picture is better than i had hoped for. Not expecting to get a crap pic at all, but in comparison to my Fujitsu Plasma, i was expecting ordinary contrast ratio. I was wrong. The blacks were black, the screen image was really bright. Great for daytime viewing and the colour gamut was excellent.

Internal Tuner is fine for most viewing. Looks great in 4:3 and 16:9, although it is a stretched. It’s a pitty the PIP dose not allow the internal tuner to display with the vid inputs. Only VGA.

Older DVDs that aren’t form the digital age were a little hazy. Digital and digitally remastered movies were a lot nicer to watch.

Digital TV was great. I watched the ashes cricket test the other day and i could see all the ball movements, runners, fielding etc..., No blurry images, nice and crisp. So refresh rate was fine. Excellent screen for sports viewing. I have not tested it on a HD box, but i can presume, it'll only improve. (based on better image on SD plasma with HD box over SD box)

I cant even think if it made any noise (fans etc…) which means it probably doesn’t. Very quiet.

Did not get a chance to test with VGA, but running media centre would most likely be the best option for the screen with a PC pumping out a 1366x768 resolution. Can look great.

The actual screen itself is a nice unimposing design. A thin gloss edge frames the image and with the speaker mounted at the bottom allows for install in a narrower space. No big bulky speakers on the left and right. Will fit nicely into any design of house. The Kogan logo is not super prominent either for those who worry what people might think when they find out it isn’t a Sony/Panasonic/pioneer screen. A sexy looking screen on my wall. You do need a big room for it. These screens are not small and if you sit to close I don’t think you’ll like the image. (same goes for all large screens. Even Pioneer 50” plasmas.)

In a nutshell, the screen performed well.

It is priced well. ½ price of the Sony, NEC etc..

The picture is great off a set-top box - Especially sport.

DVD is good. Older DVD’s a bit blurry (i tried original Brave Heart DVD)

PIP could be better. Tuner and AV inputs at the same time would be good.

Sales service is fine. Hopefully wont need after sales service.

Personally, i am impressed. Who woudnt be with a 46 inch LCD.

Recommendation

Price Conscious person – BUY

Design/Look and Feel Conscious person – BUY

Non Techo/Geek - BUY

Quality Conscious person – You’d probably prefer an $5500 pioneer 50” plasma.(Hard to see difference at 4m distance) BUY

Edited by beno9487

Hello Guys - I am still to write my review - but for now - Delivery was fast - I paid late Thursday night received Monday morning with free wall mount included.

Wall mount is very basic but hey it was free! :D And will make my intended install at the end of my bed easier...

Build quality looks great - far better than the AIKO and AIWA and DSE ones I saw after buying this... (all similar prices - $998 - $999) Although I must say that for those who don't like taking risks - but want to go cheap - buy the AIKO from BigW - it appears to do a decent enough job.

Now I did not have a Antenna upstairs so I played a few DivX movies through it... - Was initially disappointed in the colours etc - but then - it was a 4:3 Divx stretched onto a 32" 16:9 screen - letterboxed it back to 4:3 and it looked ok. Skin tones where initially hard to achieve...

Played with the colours - seems a good strong RED is hard to achieve. (Again may be related to Divx encoding though.) But that is common on most LCD TV's.

I then played a DVD through it. And had to re-adjust the colours as I had adjusted using the poor quality DivX to start with - end result was... well I sat back and breathed a sigh of relief - a decent product and end result.

Cons - don't sit close - could not use as a PC monitor - to huge! :P

Although with further testing using a VGA input it may be ok - Disappointed it does not have a DVI input though.... only D-SUB

It had JPEG distortion around the characters on the DVD players menu screen - but I think that is more the DVD players fault - being a cheap brand - it probably was never intended to be played on a 32" wide screen LCD... setting it to soft or vivid colours hid this distortion - but I prefer muted colours so - will need to find a balance.

I will connect to a PC and take some photos to create a full review in the next few days or so - been to busy so far.

But so far not upset by the purchase :blink:

Cons - don't sit close - could not use as a PC monitor - to huge! :blink:

Although with further testing using a VGA input it may be ok - Disappointed it does not have a DVI input though.... only D-SUB

Thanks for the review!

If you want to get better quality display with a PC, I would recommend that you use a HDMI->DVI cable. HDMI is the latest technology digital interface that carries audio and video. Using the HDMI->DVI should give you a crisp 1366x768 or 1280x720 display (depending on your video card).

All the best!!