Sign in to follow this  
leighw

Kogan Lcd Tv's

Hopefully after the Kogan Display Day, there will be a few reviews from people with a high post count.

I will also happily bring along my camera and do a full write up of what I see, my impressions of the sets etc. Hell, if I win one at the auction on the day, I'll do a full, in depth review of one of your units with photos galore. At least a review from someone who is indeed very tech literate but may not know the absolute ins and outs of the LCD/Plasma tech. because I've only just really started looking into one with a view to buying. I will certainly be on the lookout for black levels and motion blur etc. though, those are my two biggest issues with LCDs. After that it's detail/sharpness and natural colour.

I'm all for 'new brands' as long as there is a warranty to back it up and local support, which you seem to have both of. However I'm over 'making do' with a cheaper item that is sub par just because it saved me a few bucks. If it doesn't stack up then I will spend the extra dollars to get something I'm really happy with.

If I'm impressed with the 32" on the day, and can get one for around the $1K mark, then I'll be a buyer. Once the price starts climbing too much over that you've pretty much lost me as you are then into the territory of screens made by brands we know about, and the only real reason you go with an unknown brand is either:

a ) The unit just blows you away when you use it

OR

b ) It's substantially cheaper than the competition while still keeping an acceptable level of quality.

I look forward to the day, and hope it's soon, as our current tv is killing us with its problems, just killing us! :blink:

it would be very stupid if kogan was the one behind all these first time review postings , the admins would easily be able to check the IP's of the people posting , if they are all from the same IP or His ISPs proxy then you could say for sure its him posting it.

it would be very stupid if kogan was the one behind all these first time review postings , the admins would easily be able to check the IP's of the people posting , if they are all from the same IP or His ISPs proxy then you could say for sure its him posting it.

Is there an admin out there that can run a check and clear my name?

Just for the record, here is the email that we sent to our customers yesterday:

Hi <Customer Name>,

Thank you for purchasing a Kogan LCD TV and leaving us some feedback - We hope you are enjoying your High Definition viewing.

At Kogan, we aim to provide customers all over Australia with the best technology at prices the stores can't compete with. One of the biggest challenges with this is letting people know just how good our product is without having a storefront where they can come in to see and play with it.

In order to keep providing Australian's with such a service, we need to spread the word about our business and let people know about our products.

There is an Australian online forum set up to discuss digital TV. In this forum, there is a post discussing Kogan LCD TVs and the users would like to hear from people who have purchased a Kogan TV:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=40647

Can you please take a few minutes out of your day to click on the above link and post a few comments about your Kogan LCD TV? - it will be greatly appreciated!

Have a great day!

The Team @ Kogan Direct

Once again what is your dead/bright pixel warranty?

Also If the TV needs replacing and since warranty is on site,

Is the purchaser required to send the unit back themselves or will kogan arrange that without cost to the purchaser?

You have got to admire Kogan for what he is trying to do. I wish him the best of luck.

When is the demo day? If I am in Melbourne I will be happy to drop in.

You have got to admire Kogan for what he is trying to do. I wish him the best of luck.

What is the black level like ?

How does it compare to other LCD's and CRT ?

Blacks are pretty good. I don't have any instruments to give you scientific readings, nor a CRT tv left in the house to compare it against, but dark scenes have given me no problems so far.

Kogan direct sell stuff on Ebay, they list a single telephone number for contact.

Upon calling this number, the voicemail box was full and hung up on me..

Ok, check kogan.com.au - another email address. what to do, what to do?

On Thursday 26/10/06 I was sent a second chance offer from Ebay for an Auction on an LCD screen I didn't win. Each day I received an offer from Kogans Ebay account.

Today (Saturday 28/10/06) I got another offer at 10:59am about the screen..

so I cracked and used Ebay to contact Kogan and ask them to send their correct contact details and their ABN/ACN number.

I received neither of those, rather Sarah contacted me through Ebay at 4:23pm stating they

don't send second chance offers and it was fraudulent and to contact Ebay about it.

(So I responded and told them to change their password - their account is currently being used

by another person.....)

As it stands, I won't touch Kogan or ever purchase from them.

If anyone does actually go to a physical location and see the screens, then great.

But it appears that Ruslan Kogan has gone to great lengths to distance himself from

customers and make the 'team' at Kogan unreachable.

As it stands, their Ebay account is currently untrustworthy and as far as it seems they

don't; A) Know about it, :blink: Care and C) think Ebay will fix it?

You guys noted all the people supporting them on here were only single post contributors,

how that can be the case is mind boggling when they have 892 feedback on Ebay??

Sorry for the long rant (for a first post), but it has left a distinctly sour taste in my mouth.

I've bought a 19" and a 32", both have nice pictures. I also have a 50" LG to compare them with. The 19" needs better speakers, very cheap speakers ATM. Haven't really used it much except to say that. The 32", well the software needs work, everything else is fine. The LG has an auto mode for instance, yours I have to pick the screen res etc, poor form. Also the input needs working on, just seems silly the trouble to pick which input you are using. But like I say the picture on both is nice just the software needs work and better speakers on the 19".

Post #2 :blink:

Edited by HoPeFuLLL

Being a connoisseur of fine technology, I'm usually happy to splurge on products to get all the added features. When I find a brand name product that has nothing over the competition except a price tag, I'm never willing to hand over my hard earned to someone's marketing department...It's with this business philosophy that I started Kogan Technologies.

Sounds like a good philosophy

Kogan LCD TVs use a Samsung Panel. This means that the display quality you get on our TVs is exactly the same as you would on Samsung and Sony Bravia equivalents (Sony use Samsung panels in their LCDs)

Exactly the same huh?

The 19" needs better speakers, very cheap speakers ATM.

Maybe exactly the same doesn't mean exactly the same :D

The 32", well the software needs work, everything else is fine. The LG has an auto mode for instance, yours I have to pick the screen res etc, poor form. Also the input needs working on, just seems silly the trouble to pick which input you are using. But like I say the picture on both is nice just the software needs work

Hmmm, maybe the software is different to what Samsung and Sony use :blink:

Sorry, but so many sellers of cheap LCD's use a brand name panel and then claim theirs is 'exactly' the same as the brand name model, not true of this brand or any other in the market using the same tactic, there is much more to the end result than just what panel is used, this is reflected in the pricing

Another thing I have noticed is the speech doesn't seem to sync with the lips on some channels. Never noticed this on the LG.

On the 32" I would suggest looking for a better way of attaching the speakers, too fiddly at the moment when the TV is mounted to a wall.

Edited by HoPeFuLLL

I bought on the 46" Kogan's ... generally pleased with the quality, but perplexed by a problem with the HDMI interface from a Pioneer high-definition tuner (DT510). Colours on every other interface (S-video, component etc) are fine - but with HDMI, I get green/magenta colours - as if one colour is missing. I've tried 3 different cables - no change in symptoms.

I've tried the tuner on 2 other screens - no problems, so on the surface it looks as though the tuner is in the clear and its a screen problem.

I've tried four other HDMI devices with the screen - three are fine, but one (TEAC) exhibits exactly the same problems as the Pioneer tuner.

Does anyone know if there is potential for incompatibilities in the HDMI hand-shaking that goes on? If so, could it cause the sort of colour problems I'm seeing?

Does anyone know if there is potential for incompatibilities in the HDMI hand-shaking that goes on? If so, could it cause the sort of colour problems I'm seeing?

Absolutely, very common problem with HDMI devices unfortunately

Maybe a cable problem - if it's a borderline HDMI cable, the other two may be able to handle it but the Kogan has problems. Can you borrow another cable to test?

Maybe a cable problem - if it's a borderline HDMI cable, the other two may be able to handle it but the Kogan has problems. Can you borrow another cable to test?

Thanks for the suggestion - but having tried three different cables with no change in the symptoms, I think I can rule the cable out. It looks as though - as the jok11n suggests - having a HDMI interface doesn't necessarily mean things will be compatible.

It would be interesting to see a section on this site devoted to known *in*compatibilities between different HDMI devices.

It would be interesting to see a section on this site devoted to known *in*compatibilities between different HDMI devices.

The list would grow quite quickly unfortunately :blink:

did that kogan demo day ever happen? or is it still coming?

cheers :blink:

Bought one on the 7" Picture viewers off them. Picture etc fine but the transformer sure runs hot, hope noones house burns down.

Bought one on the 7" Picture viewers off them. Picture etc fine but the transformer sure runs hot, hope noones house burns down.

Why pick on noone,what's he ever done to you?

Dont blame him for the hot transformer :blink: