Kogan Lcd Tv's

Anyone reading this thread can see how imaginative his marketing claims are. They can also see how Kogan responds to crticism.

By the way, I did not suggest hushing the open day up.

I'll leave others to judge that for themselves.

drsmith,

One of the major reasons I have recently been employed, is for my experience in the customer service industry. Ruslan Kogan recognised that improvements needed to made and has responded accordingly. As well as overseeing day to day operations, I am responsible for handling all customer queries, as well as monitoring this, and other forums, and responding to queries when they arise.

I believe constructive criticism is always welcome, and it provides us a chance to improve on our products and practices. Although new to this industry I have always used the DTV forum as my first port of call whenever I have been looking for surround sound equipment, TVs and the like. It is a valuable resource and we recognise the contribution and support of its members.

I look forward to meeting as many DTV members as I can at our first Display Day. It will be as much a chance for me to learn more about the industry as it will for members to trial our products. I hope we get the chance to take this day to other states. I'd particularly like to get to my home town Perth at some stage as I know we have a lot of support over there, particularly from the Mandurah region.

Kindest Regards,

Daniel Beahan

Operations Manager

Kogan Technologies

www.kogan.com.au

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone reading this thread can see how imaginative his marketing claims are. They can also see how Kogan responds to crticism.

crticism :rolleyes: Does this mean you don't like criticism of CRT sets? :D

On a serious note I think most sensible people will admit he has handled it very well considering the knockers with no knowledge of his products that jumped on the band wagon.

By the way, I did not suggest hushing the open day up.

I'll leave others to judge that for themselves.

Sorry :excl: I thought it was by your inference. :blush:

...and others will judge it for themselves on the day. B)

On a serious note I think most sensible people will admit he has handled it very well considering the knockers with no knowledge of his products that jumped on the band wagon.

If that were the case it would be a contradiction of the definition of sensible.

One does not have to own a Kogan LCD or attend an open day to glean some knowledge on the characteristics of these units or the after sales service.

drsmith,

One of the major reasons I have recently been employed, is for my experience in the customer service industry. Ruslan Kogan recognised that improvements needed to made and has responded accordingly. As well as overseeing day to day operations, I am responsible for handling all customer queries, as well as monitoring this, and other forums, and responding to queries when they arise.

Ruslan has made a wise move by employing someone experienced in customer service.

I believe constructive criticism is always welcome, and it provides us a chance to improve on our products and practices. Although new to this industry I have always used the DTV forum as my first port of call whenever I have been looking for surround sound equipment, TVs and the like. It is a valuable resource and we recognise the contribution and support of its members.

My main criticism here is where material on these forums has spilled over from providing general information to product advertising.

Edited by drsmith

Guest not-happy-Jan
My main criticism here is where material on these forums has spilled over from providing general information to product advertising.

Dr Smith, I almost agree with you.

However, my naïve view is that Kogan has been given a basting in this forum.

He is leading with his chin in supplying a viewing day for all to come, play & ask questions.

For this and this alone I support the posts.

Edited by not-happy-Jan

So I know nothing about tv's i want a flat screen mainly because it'll look better aesthetically and because i want something that is going to save space etc etc.

So for someone who knows nothing and isn't particularly fussy about all the features others are gagging for what's the best of the cheaper end LCD's.

I'm not after something massive, 26'' - 32'' the CRT I've got is 20'' and it's more than sufficient.

I'm sure I'm insulting the sensitivities of the diehard by my ignorance, but what is decent and cheap.

Or do the two words not mix...

I was interested in the Kogan and stumbled across this forum and I've read everything here.

I'm planning on going to the display day but I'm so clueless I probably won't know if what I'm looking at is good anyway.

Sorry for the long first post....

***SNIP***

I'm planning on going to the display day but I'm so clueless I probably won't know if what I'm looking at is good anyway....................

There's actually a very easy way to tell if something is good or not............................

Look at it.

If **YOU** like what you see, it's good.

If you don't like what you see, it's bad.

Without seeing a Kogan TV, I'll tell you that there are "better" products available, but like everything in life.....Compromises abound.

Only you can decide if you like it !!!!

Austen.

Only you can decide if you like it !!!!

Austen.

Yeah, well that's why I'm going to the display day, I'm just asking if members who know a bit more about this stuff have any suggestions for me, as they'll know what they're talking about.

Thanks though.

Sheesh guys - with your comparason methodology a couple of you guys might like some White Van speakers - after the noise of the broken muffler on the van knocks out your top-end hearing, you'll no doubt rate White Van speakers up there!

PS: If anyones looking for some White Van 'Surplus' High-End Video Cables...... he'll be near the exit of the carpark ;-) cash only - dont worry if you dont have enough, the guy on the scooter will go to the ATM for you.

Cheers,

Bitey

Under $1,000 ? gotta be something wrong ? so this techno dummy needs advice. Only watch Foxtel/Free to Air/DVD's. No

games, no computer etc.

Kogan LCD -

Specifications

Panel size 40inch 101cm

Panel type Samsung TFT LCD

Aspect ratio 16:9 Widescreen

Wall mountable Yes

Resolution 1366 x 768 @ 60Hz

Contrast ratio 1000:1

Viewing angle -178 deg / +178 deg

Response time 8ms (125 frames per second)

Brightness 500cd/m2

TV system PAL/SECAM/NTSC

Tuning system Built in analog tuner

Aspect ratio support Panorama 16:9, ZOOM 4:3

Inputs 1x HDMI

1x RF antenna

2x AV

2x Component (RCA)

1x S-video

1x RGB (D-sub 15pin)

1x Audio in

Speaker System Spatial Stereo (2x 8W)

Weight 26kg

Power consumption Stand by: 3W, Operating <260W

Safety CCC/CE/CB/FCC/C-tick

Dimensions Kogan x40 Alone:

97cm x 65cm x 9cm

Kogan x40 with stand:

97cm x 70cm x 9cm

Under $1,000 ? gotta be something wrong ? so this techno dummy needs advice. Only watch Foxtel/Free to Air/DVD's. No

games, no computer etc.

Specs are correct as you have listed them, but I doubt you'll get it for less than $1k. Close though as they are currently selling for low $1000-$1300 on ebay auctions.

I have had mine since Aug. 10 now and for the price I'm still happy with my $1200 purchase. If I had to point out some cons it would be sound quality and I could use an extra HDMI input. I'm using the built-in analog tuner for the Free to Air transmissions and have my home theater connected through the HDMI. If you pay more for another brand you will most likely get a higher contrast ratio, a digital tuner and possibly better sound, but it's up to you how much that is worth to your viewing pleasure.

Edited by porsen

Specs are correct as you have listed them, but I doubt you'll get it for less than $1k. Close though as they are currently selling for low $1000-$1300 on ebay auctions.

I have had mine since Aug. 10 now and for the price I'm still happy with my $1200 purchase. If I had to point out some cons it would be sound quality and I could use an extra HDMI input. I'm using the built-in analog tuner for the Free to Air transmissions and have my home theater connected through the HDMI. If you pay more for another brand you will most likely get a higher contrast ratio, a digital tuner and possibly better sound, but it's up to you how much that is worth to your viewing pleasure.

Why are you using the built-in analog tuner for the Free to Air transmissions? :wacko:

Surely even if you had an old CRT set you would gain (Like I did ages ago) by running your set through at least a SD STB at the very least to improve PQ. :blink:

Guest JimboTHX1138
If you pay more for another brand you will most likely get a higher contrast ratio, a digital tuner and possibly better sound,

And better PQ.

And better PQ.

Stands to reason his PQ is average. :wacko:

Read what he said, "I'm using the built-in analog tuner for the Free to Air transmissions"

Plus this, "I have had mine since Aug. 10 now and for the price I'm still happy" :P

Rather than knock something you know stuff all about come along to the Open display Day and judge it after seeing them in operation. :rolleyes:

Edited by sail

Read what he said, "I'm using the built-in analog tuner for the Free to Air transmissions"

By your own admission, that's all it's got.

Why are you using the built-in analog tuner for the Free to Air transmissions? :wacko:

Surely even if you had an old CRT set you would gain (Like I did ages ago) by running your set through at least a SD STB at the very least to improve PQ. :blink:

By your own admission, that's all it's got.

Any fool that can read knows the Kogan LCD sets at this moment only come with an analogue tuner.

So I don't know why you are going on about it especially when most of us have some form of Digital STBs or Digital PVR input device??

That aspect would not stop me purchasing a decent LCD set BUT solely as a marketing exercise his new sets should have HD Digital Tuners as the general unwashed out there with peripheral vision see HD inbuilt tuners as the only way to go.

A good example was a mate I saw last night who has just moved into his first bought home and his priority in using the first home buyers grant was to rush out and buy a 32" LCD with inbuilt HD Tuner.

Anyway as Ruslan Kogan says in the link below he will have a demo version of one of the new sets at the Open Display Day next Sunday at the Hampton RSL.

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=53133&st=0

Who knows Doc the next one might be over your way. :D

Any fool that can read knows the Kogan LCD sets at this moment only come with an analogue tuner.

So I don't know why you are going on about it especially when most of us have some form of Digital STBs or Digital PVR input device??

That aspect would not stop me purchasing a decent LCD set BUT solely as a marketing exercise his new sets should have HD Digital Tuners as the general unwashed out there with peripheral vision see HD inbuilt tuners as the only way to go.

A good example was a mate I saw last night who has just moved into his first bought home and his priority in using the first home buyers grant was to rush out and buy a 32" LCD with inbuilt HD Tuner.

So, basically the picture quality is poor without the purchase of some form of external digital tuner.

I tried two budget brand LCD's last year which only had analogue tuners and the picture was absolutely terrible. Using an internal tuner from a PC and having the PC upscale to the above LCD's native resolution (1080p), the picture was much better.

On the display day it may be well worth connecting one of the larger units up to a HTPC (with a high definition tuner, DVD and HD-DVD/Blu-Ray playback capabilities) via DHMI and bypass the Kogan's internal picture processing alltogether by having the PC do the image processing and displaying a progressive video signal on the LCD at it's native resolution.

Edited by drsmith

So, basically the picture quality is poor without the purchase of some form of external digital tuner.

:rolleyes: Doc, I feel you are reading either too much into this or just stirring the pot. You should know as well as everybody that analogue reception is dependent on antenna and signal. Poor PQ is the same whether the set is Plasma, LCD or CRT if the incoming signal is shite no matter what!

I tried two budget brand LCD's last year which only had analogue tuners and the picture was absolutely terrible. Using an internal tuner from a PC and having the PC upscale to the above LCD's native resolution (1080p), the picture was much better.

Read above reply! ;)

On the display day it may be well worth connecting one of the larger units up to a HTPC (with a high definition tuner, DVD and HD-DVD/Blu-Ray playback capabilities) via DHMI and bypass the Kogan's internal picture processing alltogether by having the PC do the image processing and displaying a progressive video signal on the LCD at it's native resolution.

I believe that is what is going to happen as he outlined here...

In various threads throughout this forum, members have requested an opportunity to view Kogan products. I am pleased to announce that this will be taking place on Sunday 7th October at the Hampton RSL in Melbourne, Victoria.

The Kogan Display Day will be an informal gathering, a chance to come and see our range of products, as well as chat to the Kogan team and ask any questions you may have. You are welcome to bring in any peripheral devices that you would like to test on our TVs, e.g. gaming consoles, but we will already have set top boxes and DVD players set up.

and this...

We have decided that we will be displaying the production model of our new Kogan PRO range. We debated whether or not we should do this as the model we have was for testing, and is not as aesthetically pleasing as the finished product will be.

Neverthless, the panel and specs are the same and I'm sure plenty of you would like a preview of our first 42" 1080p TV prior to release. We will have this connected to a Playstation 3 so you can test it with Bluray DVD and as a gaming monitor.

Kindest Regards,

Daniel Beahan

Operations Manager

Kogan Technologies

www.kogan.com.au

Because I still haven't found a "Kogan priced" combined DVR SD STB. As for the PQ, I watch my DVDs through the HDMI input with excellent results.

Guest JimboTHX1138

Plus this, "I have had mine since Aug. 10 now and for the price I'm still happy" :P

Rather than knock something you know stuff all about come along to the Open display Day and judge it after seeing them in operation. :rolleyes:

He said "If you pay more for another brand you will most likely get a higher contrast ratio, a digital tuner and possibly better sound" and I added better PQ. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that these TVs aren't up to the same standards of a Sony LCD for example. Especially with the problems already inherent to LCD technology. So stop trying to talk up an inferior product to being something better than it is in reality. :rolleyes:

Edited by JimboTHX1138

hey guys, im new here and just after a tv for an xbox 360. would u guys recommend the kogan 32" lcd? or wat else would be in the rough range or $1000, i dont mind size atm, but above 24" lol.

Jivlah

Have a look through this HDTV thread. :ph34r:

You will find a lot of info on 32" lcd's.

Kogan's are mainly ebay auctions so the price will vary depending on your luck

The best test of a tv is "your" eyes. ;)

Ols

Especially with the problems already inherent to LCD technology. So stop trying to talk up an inferior product to being something better than it is in reality. :rolleyes:

Take note :excl: I am not at all trying to talk up the Kogan product but more so trying to stop you people who just want to knock something you know SFA about!

WHY DO YOU CALL IT A INFERIOR PRODUCT?

Surely his huge positive Feedback rating from people that ACTUALLY have one leaves you pessimists on the side lines!

You know what really pisses me off? The number of knockers here that without seeing the Kogan LCD are far too willing to rubbish them. :angry:

Come to the Open Display Day and then comment but don't sit on you're arses and make up rubbish without seeing first hand! :wacko:

If you can't make it then sit back and read the comments from those that get off the bums and see these sets first hand at the Open Display Day. :wacko:

Guest JimboTHX1138
Take note :excl: I am not at all trying to talk up the Kogan product but more so trying to stop you people who just want to knock something you know SFA about!

WHY DO YOU CALL IT A INFERIOR PRODUCT?

Surely his huge positive Feedback rating from people that ACTUALLY have one leaves you pessimists on the side lines!

You know what really pisses me off? The number of knockers here that without seeing the Kogan LCD are far too willing to rubbish them. :angry:

Come to the Open Display Day and then comment but don't sit on you're arses and make up rubbish without seeing first hand! :wacko:

If you can't make it then sit back and read the comments from those that get off the bums and see these sets first hand at the Open Display Day. :wacko:

Because TVs in this price range are at best a couple of generations behind in black levels and response times. I'm not turning up to the open day, just the thought of what the blacks look like and the trailing effects/blur is nausiating.

What feedback? you mean the ones with replies to them saying "trying to ruin our buisness". Yes, Ive read them.

Tell you what. Send me a TV and I'll post a review of it on here if you think i'm off the mark. :D

Take a chill pill.

Edited by JimboTHX1138