Kogan Lcd Tv's

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys / Girls, Hate to be the one to bring this thread back on topic in the midst of a good laugh, but I got a question for all you tech heads...

As I stated earlier, I have a Kogan 26" LCD.

Now, when It is used with my digital set top box, the picture fills the screen for shows that are in 16:9, yet when I play DVD's I still have the black bars at the top and bottom of the picture. Is this supposed to happen??? I thought the DVD should have filled the screen too...

I have a Phillips DVD/VCR combo that is about 1 yr old connected via S-Video.

Any ideas or thoughts???

Thanks

Now, when It is used with my digital set top box, the picture fills the screen for shows that are in 16:9, yet when I play DVD's I still have the black bars at the top and bottom of the picture. Is this supposed to happen??? I thought the DVD should have filled the screen too...

Quite normal, the digital TV transmissions are native 16:9 so will always fill the screen, even if the program is 4:3 they will transmit in 16:9 and add the black bars, DVD's however can be other widescreen resolutions 2.35:1 etc which will have black bars top and bottom, some DVD's will be marked as 16:9 or enhanced for widescreen TV's, these will fill the screen.

Nothing wrong with your TV, this is normal behaviour

OH, OK, sorta defeats the purpose of widescreen doesn't it??? Free to air is awesome, I was hoping it would be the same for DVD... Oh well, life's like that.

Yeah, the DVD cases have 2.35:1 / 16:9 and 1.75:1 / 16:9.

Not at all.

Have a read here to find out why it's actually a good thing.

I'm just saying it as I see it. Based on what I have seen, Kogan is not someone I would be too keen to do business with.

That is the point I cannot fathom. Why or what do you base this on? His good feedback rating far exceeds what a standard retailer would receive if people had a chance to do such for their sales.

In principal the open day is a good idea but it would also be a good idea to keep the marketing of Kogan's products on this forum down at least to a dull roar.

So it is okay to knock the shite out of him here on baseless innuendo and when he attempts to show you his wares in a Open Display Day he is told to hush it up?

I believe this could be a very interesting day for people looking at upgrading to a LCD to come along and bring their equipment to run on one if they wish or see various hardware being used on them and ask relevant questions. All good even if they purchase another brand of LCD at least they then have something to compare it with.

Open display Day

Hampton RSL,

25 Holyrood St,

Hampton, Victoria

Sun 7th Oct

3pm - 6pm

We have decided that we will be displaying the production model of our new Kogan PRO range. We debated whether or not we should do this as the model we have was for testing, and is not as aesthetically pleasing as the finished product will be.

Nevertheless, the panel and specs are the same and I'm sure plenty of you would like a preview of our first 42" 1080p TV prior to release. We will have this connected to a Playstation 3 so you can test it with Bluray DVD and as a gaming monitor.

Kindest Regards,

Daniel Beahan

Operations Manager

Kogan Technologies

BTW My reasons for bringing this on...

1. I got sick of people posting negative comments in this thread about something they have never seen or experienced and the consistent knocking of someone willing to have a go. :blink:

2. My curiosity in seeing and learning about the technology in these products and the opportunity to run my PVR through an LCD set. :huh:

3. Finally but not least my convincing the Club management not to charge venue fees as it would help promote bars sales on what is normally a quiet day. That and that alone is my major personal concern. :unsure:

So those of you in Melbourne on that Sunday lets get together and have some fun.

Oops! Almost forgot.

We have a synthetic Bowling Green and anyone wishing to try their hand at bowling make yourself known here on the forum and I will be able to arrange something before the Open Day starts so you may have a roll. Bowls can be supplied! :wacko:

Bars open at 11am and the Bistro at Midday. :rolleyes:

What other LCD's will be there on the day for comparison?

Sorry I made that a bit confusing. I meant it was an opportunity to view and use your equipment on their Kogan LCDs and then compare their sets with others elsewhere. :blush:

Only Kogan LCD TVs and other Kogan products on display at the Club.

Sorry I made that a bit confusing. I meant it was an opportunity to view and use your equipment on their Kogan LCDs and then compare their sets with others elsewhere. :blush:

Ok, it's good that people can at least see them, being able to compare them with something else would have been better though.

Ok, it's good that people can at least see them, being able to compare them with something else would have been better though.

If we are allowed to bring our STB, DVR, DVD players etc. I don't see any problem in people bring their LCDs. Granted it would be a (heavy) hassle but if you really want to compare apples to apples, you should bring your own for true comparison.

If we are allowed to bring our STB, DVR, DVD players etc. I don't see any problem in people bring their LCDs. Granted it would be a (heavy) hassle but if you really want to compare apples to apples, you should bring your own for true comparison.

In the interest of fair play why not? :mellow:

Mind you rather than lugging it down one would certainly remember the PQ of their own set and the simplest acid test is to bring down your PVR, DVD Player etc and compare that. :rolleyes:

Mind you rather than lugging it down one would certainly remember the PQ of their own set and the simplest acid test is to bring down your PVR, DVD Player etc and compare that. :rolleyes:

I would suggest that using your memory is about the worst possible way of comparing.

A side by side comparison is much more revealing and provides a point of reference, as well as providing some equality in terms of viewing conditions.

I would suggest that using your memory is about the worst possible way of comparing.

A side by side comparison is much more revealing and provides a point of reference, as well as providing some equality in terms of viewing conditions.

If you can only see the difference in PQ of 2 screens when you sit them side by side then whats the point?? you will never do that again.

Surely if you can notice a better image on a screen you look at today over a screen you looked at yesterday (using the same source) then that is all the testing you need??

Just my 2c :rolleyes:

Room conditions and source material can create a huge difference in what you perceive.

If you don't do a side by side comparison, then you're effectively saying "the picture looks good enough to live with, it'll do", which is fair enough for some people.

Room conditions and source material can create a huge difference in what you perceive.

If you don't do a side by side comparison, then you're effectively saying "the picture looks good enough to live with, it'll do", which is fair enough for some people.

You beat me to it Foggy.

I guess i'm one of those people then :blush:

I would agree this would be the case for most of the users of this forum who are technically savvy and invest a lot of $$'s in their systems

but for most of the general public out there (which i'm guessing is Kogans target market) i still think that dragging your existing screen in to do a side by side test is excessive. I do understand your point though. :rolleyes:

Yep, I completely agree. Not everyone is chasing the ultimate PQ, and that's not meant to be a derogatory statement.... everyone's needs are different.

But you can't say it's a comparison when you're not comparing it to anything, it's really just a demo with some different source equipment.

Guest not-happy-Jan
True...

it is a case of "horses for courses"

Kogan's products are not priced at the top end of the market - more at the value buyer.

I think it is fair to say that anyone looking to buy a new bravia xbr is not a kogan buyer!

My 3 kids will destory anything of quality I want to buy so I am delighted to get a chance to view a kogan to see that its 'market acceptable' - in the full knowledge that it will not be a Pionerr / Bravia beater. :rolleyes:

Edited by not-happy-Jan

My 3 kids will destory anything of quality Ii want to buy so I am delighted to get a chance to view a kogan to see that its 'market acceptable' - in the full knowledge that it will not be a Pionerr / Bravia beater. :rolleyes:

Yes, my kids also being one of my reasons for not buying a higher-end LCD and getting the Kogan 40" LCD. My point in the previous post was merely to ensure that anyone who really wanted to compare side by side should be allowed to bring their private LCDs, in order to eliminate hindsight comparisons after the event.

The Hampton RSL has an extremely large LG plasma screen as well as a smaller Pioneer plasma TV in the same room that we are holding our display day. They don't have any LCD screens but members are more than welcome to bring in their own TVs to make comparisons.

Kindest Regards,

Daniel Beahan

Operations Manager

Kogan Technologies

www.kogan.com.au

That is the point I cannot fathom. Why or what do you base this on? His good feedback rating far exceeds what a standard retailer would receive if people had a chance to do such for their sales.

So it is okay to knock the shite out of him here on baseless innuendo and when he attempts to show you his wares in a Open Display Day he is told to hush it up?

Anyone reading this thread can see how imaginative his marketing claims are. They can also see how Kogan responds to crticism.

By the way, I did not suggest hushing the open day up.

BTW My reasons for bringing this on...

1. I got sick of people posting negative comments in this thread about something they have never seen or experienced and the consistent knocking of someone willing to have a go. :blink:

2. My curiosity in seeing and learning about the technology in these products and the opportunity to run my PVR through an LCD set. :huh:

3. Finally but not least my convincing the Club management not to charge venue fees as it would help promote bars sales on what is normally a quiet day. That and that alone is my major personal concern. :unsure:

I'll leave others to judge that for themselves.