Kogan Lcd Tv's

That whole Kogan TV spot and its build up was a whole lot of BS and another case off BS sensationalist type hournalism

How many unwitting consumers are going to buy the crap they were feb and now go and purchase kogan TV.

Lets look at the facts.

Kogan and the rubbish report claims you can save up to 50% if you buy direct from kogan.

And yeah I can save over 50% if I buy a Kia motorcar and not a Mercedes !

Facts - you can purchase a Sony X46 True Full HD TV for around $4600 - $4800 on the street

Facts - you can purchase the new 46M81 sammy for about $4000

How does a Kogan 1366x768 panel with no integrated tuner for $3700 even compare with these.

Unfortunately - about 300,000 consumer have just been misled and misinformaed by uninformed TV shows looking for ratings.

Even worse I think the goose from Kogan has just lost all credibility with the rubbish saving he quotes.

BTW - Id luv to see his return rates

Get your facts right. Kogan 46" panels sell for around the $2000 mark in auction format. The $3700 is a buy it now price. To be fair you would need to quote the full RRP of the other panels

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes the savings are real - Have seen these at auction on ebay going for about $2000.

But do they work.How do they process action or more importantly to me - Sport from Austar / Foxtel?

I suppose I should be fairer and ask do they process and display motion better than other LCD screens of the same size as they all seem to have this problem ?

Does anyone have one and watch Austar Foxtel ?

Could someone please tell me I am wrong and the brand and model of a good value lcd 40" plus that doesn't have this problem at $3k or lower?

Or is a 50" Panasonic HD plasma with HD inbuilt tuner at $2999 at HN the better option - Kogan may not be able to beat that I think.

Did the Kogan "Open Day" ever take place that was talked about a while ago?

That was where he was going to set up a couple of panels for viewing by some of the members here who live in the same town where the Warehouse is located.

I don't think it ever did but if someone could get Kogan to check his message box here I have an offer to him to host it and possibly buy a set myself.

Would members of this forum and the Toppy forum be bothered to come to the Brighton/Hampton area for such an Open Display Day?

Without disclosing the location just yet I can say the facilities are worth the trip! :blink:

If so Kogan people do contact me and maybe we can set something up. It might even be as good as your Today Tonight promo last night. :D

I don't think it ever did but if someone could get Kogan to check his message box here I have an offer to him to host it and possibly buy a set myself.

Would members of this forum and the Toppy forum be bothered to come to the Brighton/Hampton area for such an Open Display Day?

Without disclosing the location just yet I can say the facilities are worth the trip! :blink:

If so Kogan people do contact me and maybe we can set something up. It might even be as good as your Today Tonight promo last night. :D

What!

Isn't anyone interested?

As I suggested in the Toppy forum we can combine it with a Toppy and DVT forum Meet and Greet session.

I spoke with the manager of our club tonight and I think you all might be amazed at what a good day/night it could be.

I mentioned earlier that the club is ready to purchase another WS TV and if Kogan is interested then the challenge is to compare his LCD screens up against our fairly new 50" Pioneer Plasma screen.

Personally I feel that where the new screen is to be situated an LCD WS TV will leave the plasma for dead but it would be nice to initially put the two side by side and compare.

The other suggestion I have put forward in the Topfield forum is for Topfield in conjunction with the Kogan product to do a combined Show & Display day together.

(Kogan please check your message box here)

Thoughts please people! :P

What happened to the promised open day?

What is the pixel Policy?

What are the warranty returns policy?

Still no answers, after taking an active interest in this forum where did he go?

This is enough for me not to take the RISK.

Would I be left hanging if I had an issue..........probably and having been there before, it leaves a terrible memory of " I should have known better"

I would rather Pay a little more for piece of mind, and a real known brand name.

We have a 7-Day No-Questions-Asked return policy.

As far as postage to Melbourne goes, we will generally try to get a technician out to your location. However if your location is in a remote area, there are times where we will require your TV to be transported to the nearest service center. In these situations, if the fault is an electronics fault we will most certainly bear the freight costs both ways.

He has done well, and I'm working on having this uploaded for anyone who missed the story :blink:

Having said that, our webserver is taking a beating at the moment though - not only is www.kogan.com.au getting a stack of hits, but the eBay store links images to the host, so even eBay enquiries are slowed.

If anyone has any further questions, feel free to drop them here.

Yoza Yoza Yoza or as richie cunningham used to say Yowza yowza yowza (or is it indeed Mr Kogan??). Your comment about the popularity of Kogan TV's slowing down ebay is close to the biggest piece of crapola I think I have ever heard on this forum. Forum administrators, is there anyway to stop these < 5 posters (or is it spammers). No-one begrudges someone trying to earn a living or promoting their services, but these one-off posters are blatant abuse of forum protocols.

Now, back to the panasonic thread.......

Yoza Yoza Yoza or as richie cunningham used to say Yowza yowza yowza (or is it indeed Mr Kogan??). Your comment about the popularity of Kogan TV's slowing down ebay is close to the biggest piece of crapola I think I have ever heard on this forum. Forum administrators, is there anyway to stop these < 5 posters (or is it spammers). No-one begrudges someone trying to earn a living or promoting their services, but these one-off posters are blatant abuse of forum protocols.

Now, back to the panasonic thread.......

Hey don't you think you are being a bit harsh?

Both Kogan and his offsider have been very candid about their product in their posts in this thread. Kogan was upfront in asking his purchasers to please join this forum and give their point of view as to their thoughts on his products. Hell! We all have to start somewhere or sometime in a forum. So no this is not a blantant abuse of forum protocols by any means. IMHO :blink:

Now, Back to the Topfield threads. LOL :D

I looked at the specs of the 22" LCD and it doesn't list the HDTV resolutions and frame rate that the TV works out.

If Kogan has picked the best models as stated on Today Tonight why is that. Do they do

720p 50hz 1080i 50hz and 60 Hz through component. I don't understand if he is so smart and customers

so savvy with specs why they aren't specified in Kogan's ads. They don't seem too cheap either.

I know that in life you generally get what you pay for but ......

I own a Konka CRT which is about ten or eleven years old with a screen about 90cm and a body the size of a mini minor!

it works brilliantly.Better than anything I have seen unless I want to part with about 4000 dollars. - it is a cheap no name brand and has been fantastic - so IT CAN HAPPEN !

Not expecting lightning to strike twice but because of my experience I have an open mind.

Wouldn't spend money (on anything) without viewing for myself but they are cheap, there is one on ebay at about $1990 with about 1/2 hour to go and for $450 you can get 5 years on site warranty.

These are some specs from the Kogan site:

Horizontal refresh rate 43KHz~53KHz

Vertical refresh rate 48Hz~66Hz

Pixel pitch H 0.7455mm V 0.7455mm

Resolution 1280 x 720 @ 60Hz

Contrast ratio 1000:1

Viewing angle -178 deg / +178 deg

Response time 8ms (125 frames per second)

Brightness 500cd/m2

TV system PAL/SECAM/NTSC

Tuning system Built in tuner

Aspect ratio support Panorama 16:9, ZOOM 4:3

Inputs 1x HDMI

1x RF antenna

2x AV

2x Component (RCA)

1x S-video

1x RGB (D-sub 15pin)

1x Audio in

Can anyone decipher these and state whether they suspect they stand up with established brand LCD's ?

better still has anyone got one or seen one working ,preferably SD FTA,Austar/Foxtel and DVD.

I am not related to Mr Kogan so please don't take the pXXX out of me even though I don't have hundreds of posts......

I know that in life you generally get what you pay for but ......

I own a Konka CRT which is about ten or eleven years old with a screen about 90cm and a body the size of a mini minor!

it works brilliantly.Better than anything I have seen unless I want to part with about 4000 dollars. - it is a cheap no name brand and has been fantastic - so IT CAN HAPPEN !

Not expecting lightning to strike twice but because of my experience I have an open mind.

Wouldn't spend money (on anything) without viewing for myself but they are cheap, there is one on ebay at about $1990 with about 1/2 hour to go and for $450 you can get 5 years on site warranty.

These are some specs from the Kogan site:

Horizontal refresh rate 43KHz~53KHz

Vertical refresh rate 48Hz~66Hz

Pixel pitch H 0.7455mm V 0.7455mm

Resolution 1280 x 720 @ 60Hz

Contrast ratio 1000:1

Viewing angle -178 deg / +178 deg

Response time 8ms (125 frames per second)

Brightness 500cd/m2

TV system PAL/SECAM/NTSC

Tuning system Built in tuner

Aspect ratio support Panorama 16:9, ZOOM 4:3

Inputs 1x HDMI

1x RF antenna

2x AV

2x Component (RCA)

1x S-video

1x RGB (D-sub 15pin)

1x Audio in

Can anyone decipher these and state whether they suspect they stand up with established brand LCD's ?

better still has anyone got one or seen one working ,preferably SD FTA,Austar/Foxtel and DVD.

I am not related to Mr Kogan so please don't take the pXXX out of me even though I don't have hundreds of posts......

It appears to be an LCD tv from the specs. Without detailed testing, it's indistinguishable from any other low end brand.

Is the 1000:1 contrast ratio a mistake? The rest of the specs also make me think it's a PC monitor, not an LCD TV.

I like the way the 8ms response time is presented as "125 Frames per second", even though 8ms on an LCD doesn't necessarily translate to a 125Hz refresh rate in practice :blink:

Is the 1000:1 contrast ratio a mistake? The rest of the specs also make me think it's a PC monitor, not an LCD TV.

I like the way the 8ms response time is presented as "125 Frames per second", even though 8ms on an LCD doesn't necessarily translate to a 125Hz refresh rate in practice :blink:

Has that got anything to with the 8ms response referring to "grey to grey" instead of "black to black" ? I've read that some companies refer to one or the other without stating which.

Doesn't fill me with confidence if Mr Kogan is quoting innacurrate figures on the specs

Is it true that the refresh rate is the key to smooth motion display?

All this uncertainty is leading me back to the 50"Pana plasmas for $2500-3000

cheers

Luke

Guest JimboTHX1138
All this uncertainty is leading me back to the 50"Pana plasmas for $2500-3000

cheers

Luke

Yeah, they don't seem that cheap to me. You could get a 42" Pana plasma for the price mentioned above. Even though they have a Samsung panel it's the electronics that really matter, and these TV's are probably housed with the cheapest they could source. Being on TT Mr Kogan has probably had all the advertising he needs for now and i wouldn't be surprised if we don't see him back on here, at least for a while.

Sorry for the negativity.

Yeah, they don't seem that cheap to me. You could get a 42" Pana plasma for the price mentioned above. Even though they have a Samsung panel it's the electronics that really matter, and these TV's are probably housed with the cheapest they could source. Being on TT Mr Kogan has probably had all the advertising he needs for now and i wouldn't be surprised if we don't see him back on here, at least for a while.

Sorry for the negativity.

Quite understandable considering how many cheap LCD's are in places like DSE and HN with really poor displays......

can the "good" electronics be SO expensive that you would risk your reputation by not using them or do the big Brands have patents on their superior processing software/hardware?

I thought before reading these posts that the panel is the most costly part of the TV but I suppose it can't be.

We should be polite to Mr Kogan and give him a chance to explain.

Come on Mr Kogan ,explain........

Guest JimboTHX1138
can the "good" electronics be SO expensive that you would risk your reputation by not using them or do the big Brands have patents on their superior processing software/hardware?

I think the big brands make a lot of there own electronics in-house. You have things like the Sony's Wega engine and Panasonics Viera Black Box technologies, and i think it's due to these kinds of electronics that can give the big brands a superior picture than some of the cheap ones.

Kogan not cheap enough !?

Try a look at this

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-46-117cm-EMP-46...1QQcmdZViewItem

It an LCD with exact same size and specs with a Korean panel "same as Sony"

"buy it now" price $2700 on ebay from an establishment called Pro Sound Melbourne,

anyone in Melbourne want to go and have a look?

heeheehee...................

Although a photo is probably very misleading, it looks like it has terrible blacks... Probabky very similar to Kogan ones

Kogan not cheap enough !?

Try a look at this

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-46-117cm-EMP-46...1QQcmdZViewItem

"buy it now" price $2700 on ebay from an establishment called Pro Sound Melbourne,

anyone in Melbourne want to go and have a look?

heeheehee...................

Kogan's 46 inch panel here has the same pixel pitch as the above 46" panel, but the resolution for Kogan's is listed as 1280x720 compared to 1366x768 for the above.

Kogan's 46 inch panel here has the same pixel pitch as the above 46" panel, but the resolution for Kogan's is listed as 1280x720 compared to 1366x768 for the above.

I know this is a bit naive but Is it the panel that enables 1366 x 768 resolution or the electronics in the box?

Guest Yoza
Being on TT Mr Kogan has probably had all the advertising he needs for now and i wouldn't be surprised if we don't see him back on here, at least for a while. Sorry for the negativity.

Right but wrong. He probably won't be on here much, but it's not due to the fact he has publicity - it's more the workload brought on by the publicity. Our inbox is taking major punishment.

Just so you know, as far as I know - Sony Bravia LCD TVs actually use a Samsung Panel.

Cheers,

Yoza.

Edited by Yoza

Guest JimboTHX1138
Right but wrong. He probably won't be on here much, but it's not due to the fact he has publicity - it's more the workload brought on by the publicity. Our inbox is taking major punishment.

Cheers,

Yoza.

Big difference. It's good to see you continuing where Mr Kogan left off with his advertising campaign on this forum. Maybe you can answer some of the questions people have been asking around here regarding your TV's.

Incorrect !

Sony do not use a "samsung panel"

Sony use a Panel from the S-LCD Factory.

SLCD is a 50/50 JV that Both Sony and Samsung own.

If it was a "Samsung" Panel wouldnt Samsung have had the 1920 x 1080 panels out last year like sony ?

Not this month ?

You would think Samsung would look after thier own interests first right ?

Thats why it is not a Samsung nor a Sony Panel. It is an S-LCD panel. SLCD is a seperate Company that sells Panels to Sony and Samsung - NO ONE ELSE.

The way it works is Sony Japan do the R & D, then send the SPEC to the factory to manufacture what they reqeust. The SLCD Factory manufacturers and ships & sells, to Sony, or Samsungs finishing, or manufacturing facility, the panels that they request to be made.

These other so called "samsung" panels are not the same panels used by Sony in their Bravia, or by Samsung in their R and M ranges.

Samsung has other manufacturing facilities they owned prior to joining with Sony in SLCD, and that is where the "other panels used by Samsung in cheaper models and OEMS come from.

People shouldnt confuse the panels used in Kogan or other bands as being the same as Sony and Samsung flagship models.

Big difference. It's good to see you continuing where Mr Kogan left off with his advertising campaign on this forum. Maybe you can answer some of the questions people have been asking around here regarding your TV's.

He shouldnt be allowed on the forum - Forum rules are that it should not be used to promote or sell products on behalf of a company ect.

No one from Kogan should be posting or promoting their products here, otherwise let ask all the manufactuere to join in.

The forum is for people to share experiences, ideas, ect in a open way - not swayed by a corporation of any sort.