Kogan Lcd Tv's

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm. Easy to be a 'conspiracy theorist', isn't it?

Well, not everyone who buys a TV has time to sit and watch user forums, buddy.

As I said, you can check my cred at my website. As I have nothing to gain by bothering to post here anyways, it's really all 'water off a ducks back', so to speak. Take the feedback or leave it.

Funny how there are a lot of 'first time' posters talking about a new business that has just started up, eh? Wha?? Really - think about it! Before I bought my TV, I saw these same 'first time poster' threads, and thought yeah, well, it's all pretty traceable - so I erred on the side of lending the posts some cred. Maybe it just me.

Hmm - actually, maybe I've just figured out why many readers of this forum don't post - as they'll get the 'conspiracy theory' treatment if they do.

Oh- and I can confirm that I haven't heard from Kogan since a few days after I bought the TV, back in Sept 06.

Edited by KdC@makinnoize

KdC

I dont think its a conspiracy theory- but its a little difficult to give the man any credit when he comes onto the site pluging his product in a pre christmas advertising binge (surprised the forum mods aloud him to get away with that) and then completely dissapear off the face of the planet after making assurances he would follow up on any queries people put forward.

If you look back thru the posts he hasnt answered many direct questions people have asked,and he still hasnt replied to my email.phone calls and my post regarding availability of the 42/46 displays.

Why if your starting up this company would you allow this thread to degrade your business to the point where it is at now?

Did the moderators pull him up? If so surely he could have come on here explained the situation and asked people to contact thru his phone/email-----AND RESPOND

I hope-- if he is real, he sorts out comunications with his potential customers, as I find it difficult to hand over money to a business that advertises on the site a two hour respone time AND JUST COMPLETELY IGNORES ME.

Dan

Dan,

Yes - I agree with all your points. As I haven't trawled thru the previous posts at all, I hadn't been aware of the details. But then, it's not my place to excuse some guy I only ever did business with once - I just wanted to add to the discussion that, yes, the guy is real, and that my TV is great. Pity the prompt service seems to have gone off the rails over Christmas...

Having worked in importing in the past, I know that an importer is pretty much at the mercy of Aust Customs. They may clear your container today, or next week. You just don't know - which makes it hard to tell client when their TV will arrive. I guess Kogan has bet incorrectly this time.

Edited by KdC@makinnoize

Hey guys,

An update on my previous post in regard to the 'no power brand new 32" kogan'.

Well, Kogan did come to my house and pick up the old TV this week, and sent me another one which does actually work. Thanks guys.

HOWEVER, the remote on the new TV does not work unless I'm within one metre of the display - have sent another email to Kogan asking about this today.

There's a couple of things I'd like to note in regard to Kogan LCD TV's -

1. The actual unit seems to be fairly decent quality (or 'value') considering what I paid.

2. The warranty is supplied by a third party electrical company. (I initially contacted them and this led to mass confusion when Kogan actually decided to give me a replacement, not sure if I should contact them again about the remote???).

3. Communication is a serious issue with Kogan - do not bother trying to call the Kogan help line - this is an exercise in futility as of the probably 50 times I have tried to call it, I've gone straight to voicemail to be told that I can't leave a message as the voicemail is full. I can say most of my emails have been responded to within a day though.

Overall, I do not know if I would recommend them or not. Am I just unlucky?? I appreciate the replacement they sent me, and the TV is working well but now the remote is driving me nuts.

Sure I paid a cheap price, but I am now paying for it because I can't walk into a shop and get satisfactory after sales service.

If they replace my remote I'll recommend them - until then buyer beware.

Sorry for the lengthy post.

Cheers

Justin

Well after another half dozen emails, I have just been told by Kogan that I should contact the (third party, nothing to do with Kogan themselves) 'warranty company' to see about getting my remote repaired.

Thanks very much Kogan, its not like if I buy a brand new TV off you I should expect the bloody thing to actually work.

My recommendation - DO NOT DEAL WITH THIS GUY, HE CAN NOT BE TRUSTED.

You have been warned.

Cheers

Well after another half dozen emails, I have just been told by Kogan that I should contact the (third party, nothing to do with Kogan themselves) 'warranty company' to see about getting my remote repaired.

How easy would have been to just drop one in the mail to you? Problem solved= happy cooper+ positive response in this thread- and Mr Kogan MUST be reading this.

It seems he doesnt want to sell me anything, the two hour reponse time is out to two weeks,strange-he has a lot of good feedback on e-bay(a few negs but given the amount of positive comments it seemed he was going well)

That reminds me, I need to go leave some feedback.

Yeah, Kogan display day - I'll go see him there........

Maybe he's been too busy catching up with his voicemails and responding to queries in this forum, not to mention ensuring his two hour response deadline is met to get around to organising it???

Aaahh or maybe not...

I wonder if Kogan has broken the forum record for 'most broken promises'?

Maybe he's organising more stock from overseas?

Given he's still advertising LCD picture frames on his website with "guaranteed pre-christmas delivery" I think he's probably headed to the North pole to cut a special deal with Santa :blink:

... is that pre-christmas 2007 ????? :D

And what about his "hundreds" of "loyal customers" he's letting down? If they have problems with their LCD, will they need to go through a third party to get it fixed/replaced/etc? The least he can do is put a note on his website informing his customers on the status of his business...

• 1 month later...
Geez you guys are a harsh crowd!

Yes I'm trying to spread the word about Kogan in Australia. I think the business model and concept I have introduced will benefit a lot of people - I receive about 5 praise emails a day from customers in rural areas who tell me that I saved them over 50% on what they would have been expected to pay at their local Retravision.

Although some members disagree, I still beleive I have the best value LCD TVs in Australia - you can't compare a 42" LCD to a 46" LCD.

However, price isn't enough to sway some buyers so I am here in the DTV forum to show customers that we at Kogan are always listening and very accessible. Is it easy to find someone at Sony who actually knows about TVs? (I called Sony Central yesterday and asked them if it's true that they use Samsung panels - they told me Samsung make the glass that goes in front of their TVs :D..JOKE!

If anyone has any questions about the Kogan range, please feel free to post it here and I will reply ASAP.

All the best,

Kogan

:blink: I mean no disrespect Mr. Kogan but You have turned this forum in addvertising bilaboard and this is not right.

-Apart from having lower prices this units are of low quality electronics and lower range panels without HD tuner built in TV set it self which means that one will have to spend another couple of hundred of dollars to purcase set top box separately. So, cheap does not mean good. On Kogan web site this seller claims to have cutt the middle man out for purpose of transfering benefits of that to the customers....Hmmm.

-At this very moment this units are up for sale at www.zazz.com.au for under AU$ 1000 for 36" and AU$ 2,300.00 for 46"respectivly, but hurry since sale is only for one day.

-I however have Sony Bravia 26" LCD TV with HDMI, DVI, composite, AV, USB, serial and compact media reader ports, wega gate and nothing surpases that. 8ms response time is a bit slow nd can cause trailing effects on the screen during game playing das justyfaing to loock for anything else with lower refresh rate ae 6 or 4ms (miliseconds), DELL monitors pop in mind. Ivan.

:blink: I mean no disrespect Mr. Kogan but You have turned this forum in addvertising bilaboard and this is not right.

Well, I was happy to find this thread because it is always good to hear what a variety of people have to say about a product. Several weeks ago, I coughed up the cash for one of the 19" models knowing that they were "presale will despatch on 9th March". Having read this thread I knew that what this really meant was that Kogan had organised a shipping container to arrive on th 9th of March, and that things were bound to go wrong with his over confident plan and so I did not expect to receive the TV until some days or weeks after that time. It's still not here, but I did receive an email before the 9th from Kogan apologising that there was a problem with the shipping and that it was going to arrive 2 days later, and a further email a bit later saying that the container had been held up by customs. Late last week I actually received an email from TOLL shipping with the tracking details, so I'm pretty confident its on its way now.

Without having my expectations set by reading this thread, this delay in delivery would have been very annoying, especially if I needed it to arrive before a certain date (like the guy who wanted his before xmas).

I'll post back when it arrives with some sort of review, but I guess you guys are more interested in the 32" and 46" models and probably much more discerning than me when it comes to display quality anyway.

Anyone planning to deal with Kogan should understand that their delivery date promises may be overoptimistic and wont take into account any possible delays that are outside their control. If they were a bit smarter they would realise that this can reflect badly on them and that they should build some contingency into their promises. Then again, that may hurt their cash flow or bottom line because the number of people willing to fork over cash when the delivery date is a further 2 weeks away may reduce.

Edited by Greg Frost

So has anyone bought the 46 inch version yet?

I'd love to know how they go hooked up to a HTPC, as my new house will have a few too many windows and I think that reflections are going to be nasty on my plasma.

If anyone has hooked one up to a PC, can it accept a resolution of 1366x768 or 1368x768? Can it do it at 50hz? Thats the killer for my, cos my LG plasma sucks at 50hz PC resolutions.

Cheers,

Luke

So has anyone bought the 46 inch version yet?

I'd love to know how they go hooked up to a HTPC, as my new house will have a few too many windows and I think that reflections are going to be nasty on my plasma.

If anyone has hooked one up to a PC, can it accept a resolution of 1366x768 or 1368x768? Can it do it at 50hz? Thats the killer for my, cos my LG plasma sucks at 50hz PC resolutions.

Cheers,

Luke

Hey man, I think you will find this 46" only supports 1280x720 @ 60Hz via PC, thats the specs on the website.