Sign in to follow this  
Owen

Sony Bravia "r" Series (sxrd) 60"-70" 1080p

I am not in any rush to purchase anything, and I am only interested in the 70”, which will not be available until December in any numbers. No way I will be prowling the retailers during Christmas insanity season. :blink:

Even when I do get to have a look, I recon it will likely be some time before I can get a good look at one in a suitable environment and hook it up to the DVI output of my notebook PC.

Not sure what you guys mean by PC friendliness.

The Sony will accept 1080i 50/60 and 1080p 50/60 from a PC without issue, that is a given.

As for 1080i 48 or 1080p 48 being doable, well that is anybodies guess, but I recon there is a good chance.

There will be overscan, and you will need to use a custom resolution inside 1080i or 1080p timing if you want to reduce or eliminate it, that is also a given.

If you want 1920x1080 video displayed 1:1 without overscan, then forget about the SXRD, or any RPTV for that matter, as it is impossible without modifying the set.

If I do purchase an SXRD, I will look into the possibility of repositioning the light engine to reduce or eliminate overscan when I have it apart to fit a neutral density filter.

Not having 1:1 pixel mapping is tolerable on a 1920x1080 display as the pixels are so small but I still can't understand why it's the case. What's the point of a 1080 digital display if you can't show all 1080 lines? Might as well just make an 1840x1040 display and crop the incoming signal...

To conform with TV standards, all TV’s must overscan, it’s not optional.

If they were sold as PC monitors, that would be a different story.

RPTV’s overscan in the optics, so 1920x1080 video can be displayed 1:1 with overscan.

Flat panel displays are forced to overscan via scaling.

You can use a custom resolution on your PC to eliminate overscan and give 1:1 for normal desktop use, while at the same time displaying 1920x1080 video 1:1, with the same overscan you would get using a stand alone player.

You just need decent media player software that supports zoom modes, like TheaterTek or Zoom Player.

Just had an interesting chat with a guy from a German forum. He's a HTPC user that is over the moon with his 55" SXRD. Here's some photos he took. These were with the display running at 47.952Hz (2x23.976) It also apparently syncs up to 60Hz at 1920x1080 but not quite up to 72Hz.

http://people.freenet.de/koolkolo/Hifi-For...di/PICT1402.JPG

http://people.freenet.de/koolkolo/Hifi-For...di/PICT1411.JPG

EDIT: This is via DVI->HDMI. VGA always gives a black border apparently.

Good find there Andrew. Our German friend also has plenty of other happy snaps if you go down to the base URL...

http://people.freenet.de/koolkolo/

There's one very interesting one about halfway down the page of the page in the user manual that gives all the sync frequencies for each res.

Good find there Andrew. Our German friend also has plenty of other happy snaps if you go down to the base URL...

http://people.freenet.de/koolkolo/

There's one very interesting one about halfway down the page of the page in the user manual that gives all the sync frequencies for each res.

Damn I want one of these now... looks fantastic

What are the recommended viewing distances for 60" and 70" ?

Geez, how impressive are those off-axis shots? :blink::D

It's hard to see me not buying one of these now. I've been rearranging my furniture to see if I can increase the seating distances to a more 60"-friendly range.

I think the recommended viewing distance for 60" is about 8-9ft and for 70", it's about 10-11ft.

Geez, how impressive are those off-axis shots? :blink::P

It's hard to see me not buying one of these now. I've been rearranging my furniture to see if I can increase the seating distances to a more 60"-friendly range.

I think the recommended viewing distance for 60" is about 8-9ft and for 70", it's about 10-11ft.

Man, you must have a small room if you cant find 8' or more viewing distance.

If you can find 8-9', go the 70" :D

I cant imagine anyone viewing from that far off axis.

Man, you must have a small room if you cant find 8' or more viewing distance.

If you can find 8-9', go the 70" :blink:

I cant imagine anyone viewing from that far off axis.

talk in meters man... how old are you?

Damn, that "koolkolo" URL gets me "access denied".

Can anyone upload onto an image sharer?

I scoped the 46" Bravia X today and it seemed to take 1:1 pixel mapping from the HDMI output of their Blu-ray Vaio with no observable overscan. If it doesn't then, 1:1 is irrelevant. I don't think the pixel clarity couldve gotten better. Watched a bit of 5th element. V. impressed, but not a truly inspiring departure from my current (Bravia V-old). I'm sure the SXRD will be more immersive and perform better in dark conditions.

I really hope SXRD lives up to the name. If it doesn't, I guess I'm skipping a generation. At least this allows me to avoid a v1.2 bottleneck for HDMI (the "flagship" 5200ES AVR I've been eyeing as a good companion for the SXRD is v1.2 also).

talk in meters man... how old are you?

Old enough to know what he is taking about! oh by the way my son & daughter in law had an 8lb baby the other day now how funny is that they still refer to lb oh and how far is the bowl away from the kitty?... 6ft mate and how big was the fish that got away erhhhhh 18lb's and finally why are we taking about 60" and 70" screen sizes in INCHES

cheers laurie

Wow those pics are excellent. Some of them have a bit of photographer-related issues, but that one of the LOTR battering ram is sensational.

Also the viewing angle shot looks quite good, but as Owen said, wtf would want to watch TV from that angle.

Is that what we do to guests in our theatre rooms these days? stick em out in the wings? hehe.

Very excited about this set, just dreading a call from LG telling me i need to use my credit now or risk losing it. hehe.

I doubt anybody would watch from that angle but it at least shows that there's some hope of the display remaining accurate when viewing off to the sides a bit. A lot of LCDs and RPTVs look woeful when viewed from even a slight angle.

I just hope that the vertical uniformity is good too. I'm a firm believer in having the centre speaker as close to ear height as possible in a HT system which would mean that the screen would be viewed from a slight vertical angle (unless it's tilted forward a bit)

I just hope that the vertical uniformity is good too. I'm a firm believer in having the centre speaker as close to ear height as possible in a HT system which would mean that the screen would be viewed from a slight vertical angle (unless it's tilted forward a bit)

Me too, hoping someone posts the answer to that one.

Yeah i have the same hope. Personally i prefer the TV to be at the proper height, but ever since we bought those bloody reclining HT chairs, everyone wants to watch TV fully reclined, which makes the normal height a bit impractical, so we have had to raise our set up quite a bit, and its suffering a bit.

I think it looks a bit stupid that high, but everyone else likes it, so im trying to think of a way to safely tilt it forward. Hopefully i wont have to with one of these.

I don't think I can fit a 60" up the stairs, will they have the 55" (like the one in the kolo link posted above) in AUS?

And do you think bulbs would be hard to source in a few years time when they don't produce these units anymore?

No 55" as far as we know.

Supply of lamps should not be a problem for many years.

Hmmm...60" is roughly 1.5 metres wide. I suppose if the box isn't too deep, I could stand it up and push it up the stairs :blink:

Yeh if bulbs aren't too expensive, lasts a fair while and won't be hard to source, it looks like it's the tv to get for me :D

Guest Sparky66
Hmmm...60" is roughly 1.5 metres wide. I suppose if the box isn't too deep, I could stand it up and push it up the stairs :blink:

Yeh if bulbs aren't too expensive, lasts a fair while and won't be hard to source, it looks like it's the tv to get for me :P

I'd rip the roof off my House to get this unit in my house :D

I'd rip the roof off my House to get this unit in my house :P

Don’t tell me you are considering replacing the Toshi DLP. :P:D

Yeh if bulbs aren't too expensive, lasts a fair while and won't be hard to source, it looks like it's the tv to get for me :P

I don’t see how getting the 60” up the stairs would be a problem, as the Sony is lighter and a lot more manageable then most pieces of furniture.

You can take it out of the box and turn it on end to get around corners.

How would you get wardrobe up the stairs?

Is the viewable size of these screens the same as specified like LCDs or is it a bit less like CRTs ? A lot of people seem to comment that they look smaller than they are.

Guest Sparky66
Don’t tell me you are considering replacing the Toshi DLP. :P:D

Anythings possible if you twist arm. In all reality, the SXRD took way too long to arrive in OZ :blink: or else that would of been my screen of choice 2 years ago, over my Toshiba DLP. No regrets really, as I have enjoyed my 62" screen viewing anyway, but an advantage of the SXRD technology is that it has progressed steadily since its' introduction in the US, so waiting has worked in my advantage. The only way is up if I upgrade so 70 " it is for me !!

Just a quick question -is the Sony screen material perspex fresnel / lenticular material straight out or is it protected with a glass screen as per the original 70 "SXRD ??

My take is, they may have cut manufacturing costs and shipping weight for export reasons ! I think it would weigh considerably more with a glass screen material. Its a shame really as the early SXRDs' looked like a high quality product with glass, but glare could creep in as an issue I guess.