Sign in to follow this  
Owen

Sony Bravia "r" Series (sxrd) 60"-70" 1080p

Guest 1a2b3c

Edited by 1a2b3c

Congrats on your success mate.

The optical block is the thing that governs picture quality, and it is not really possible to damage it in transit without destroying the cabinet. It’s also easy to replace, and there is virtually nothing they can stuff up in the process.

New optical blocks should be easily available; they are the same as the US models and still in full production.

There are so many SXRD’s in service in the US, parts supply should not be a problem for many years. They probable sell more SXRD’s in one day in the US then have ever been sold in Oz.

An Xbox running 720p is hardly in ideal video source, so don’t expect too much from it.

Guest 1a2b3c

Edited by 1a2b3c

GOOD NEWS FINALLY. They came out (the manager and the tech) and saw the red tint and said it's most likely the optical block (well DURR Owen already told me, but I was nice) and said if they don't have the part available they're going to give me a refund.

Both of them also saw a green tinge which I never noticed myself which I thought was interesting.

Anyway thank GOD FOR THAT, finally it's over (nearly). Thanks for all the help guys.

Finally A good news story !!

Looks like your persistence paid off XGuNn3rX

Well done mate.

You can buy my 70"! :lol:

Would love to but unfortunately I can`t accomodate a 70"

Too be honest I'm not really happy with the picture quality. Maybe the optical block has something do with it? Would it?

Maybe I'm sitting too close? Maybe it got knocked around too much? I dunno... I only use the 360 for the TV... and I can only use 720p. Maybe that also has something to do with it?

Have you got an Xbox 360 HD-DVD player add-on ?

With that and a sufficiently grunty PC you can enter 1080p HD-DVD viewing paradise.

Also, do you use it for live FTA ?

Some of the high def shows are also very nice to watch on the big screen.

Would love to but unfortunately I can`t accomodate a 70"

The 70" SXRD with the speakers removed is about 4cm wider than the 60" SXRD.

Guest 1a2b3c

Edited by 1a2b3c

Great you've got this sorted out, Xgunner. I guess you've got a new light engine but the old lamp, so colour should be good straight away. (No need to wait for a new lamp to run in.) How long did it take them to put in the new light engine?

Guest 1a2b3c

Edited by 1a2b3c

Gentlemen, I am now using a VPL-VW200 projector as my "main" monitor. So, I'm selling my 70" KS200R70.

I have the nice stand that comes wiith it. Immaculate condition - still running on the original globe. I even have the box (I think!). Comes with 5 year extended Sony warranty. (expires 2013)

It hasn't missed a beat and doesn't have any of the colour issues (blobbing) that some have experienced. Comes with a brand new in box lamp.

The unit is in Glen Iris, VIC. I have all documentation (receipts etc) from Sony Central South Yarra.

I am disabled and bed-ridden with a spinal injury 20-22 hours per day, so I ask with all respect - please don't come to take a look if you don't really want to buy it. Getting up to talk to people is a big deal for me.

I'm willing to organise shipping (at buyers cost). Pick up is also possible.

I'd rather the unit go to an enthusiast, who can appreciate it for what it is! :)

As these are still well sought after, offers over the 6k mark (I paid 5700 (unit) +900 (stand) +600 (5 year warranty)) I've seen these selling on eBay for more than the original RRP, probably because they are the best bang for your buck machine available.

Kind regards

Edited by oliverg

guys just wondering, looking at the US sony site, the 70" 300 model (new) seems like never came out. i know the 60" 300 model did and does a few thing more eg 120hz. is this right???

the other thing i read somewhere that sony has stopped [rpduction of future RPTV..... just worried if i need future globes...???

As far as I know the only 70” available in the US is the XBR2 which is basically identical to the Oz models.

There was going to be a new super slim 70” XBR5, but that has been canceled at the last moment.

A2000 and A3000 models did not come in 70", hence the distress caused when the XBR5 was canceled.

The lamps used in the 60” and 70” XBR2 models are the same as the lamp in the Oz 70”, and there are over 100,000 XBR2’s in service in the US alone, all of which will need lamps, so supply of lamps should not be a problem for quite some time.

Lamps are a consumable not a “spare part” and are expected to be replaced by the user.

If worst come to worst the lamp assembly could be rebuilt using just a new 200 watt UHP lamp from Philips, only the housing is specific to the SXRD.

HI all,

I bought my 70" Sony in May this year today I noticed that every 5-10 seconds I can see a dimming of the bulb effect when watching tv tried watching a bluray and paused the picture and you can see it very slightly dimming like the bulb was going. Is this a sign of the bulb going? Any tests I can do?

Judging from the last couple of comments here, it sounds like not only are they pulling out of Aus but they are slowing down in the US also :(

Is there any other company which uses similar technology and offers a high end screen?

What a shame.

Judging from the last couple of comments here, it sounds like not only are they pulling out of Aus but they are slowing down in the US also

Sony stopped selling SXRD RPTV’s here about 6 months ago.

Is there any other company which uses similar technology and offers a high end screen?

Not in Austrailia no, so if you want a new 70" bad luck.

Sony do sell a 70" LCD, but it cant compete for picture quality with an SXRD and it is expensive.

The only real alternative now is the 65" Panasonic Plasma.

As far as I know the only 70” available in the US is the XBR2 which is basically identical to the Oz models.

There was going to be a new super slim 70” XBR5, but that has been canceled at the last moment.

A2000 and A3000 models did not come in 70", hence the distress caused when the XBR5 was canceled.

The lamps used in the 60” and 70” XBR2 models are the same as the lamp in the Oz 70”, and there are over 100,000 XBR2’s in service in the US alone, all of which will need lamps, so supply of lamps should not be a problem for quite some time.

Lamps are a consumable not a “spare part” and are expected to be replaced by the user.

If worst come to worst the lamp assembly could be rebuilt using just a new 200 watt UHP lamp from Philips, only the housing is specific to the SXRD.

thanks owen provides with some sort of relief for the coming years.......

Gentlemen, I am now using a VPL-VW200 projector as my "main" monitor. So, I'm selling my 70" KS200R70.

I have the nice stand that comes wiith it. Immaculate condition - still running on the original globe. I even have the box (I think!). Comes with 5 year extended Sony warranty. (expires 2013)

It hasn't missed a beat and doesn't have any of the colour issues (blobbing) that some have experienced. Comes with a brand new in box lamp.

The unit is in Glen Iris, VIC. I have all documentation (receipts etc) from Sony Central South Yarra.

I am disabled and bed-ridden with a spinal injury 20-22 hours per day, so I ask with all respect - please don't come to take a look if you don't really want to buy it. Getting up to talk to people is a big deal for me.

I'm willing to organise shipping (at buyers cost). Pick up is also possible.

I'd rather the unit go to an enthusiast, who can appreciate it for what it is! :)

As these are still well sought after, offers over the 6k mark (I paid 5700 (unit) +900 (stand) +600 (5 year warranty)) I've seen these selling on eBay for more than the original RRP, probably because they are the best bang for your buck machine available.

Kind regards

Is the Warranty Transferable? Its a pity you're in the wrong state because something like this must be viewed before purchasing.

Is the Warranty Transferable? Its a pity you're in the wrong state because something like this must be viewed before purchasing.

The warranty is completely transferable.

I'm a long time member here and well known in the A/V community in general. I can assure you the set is exactly as described. As for viewing before purchasing, if you have seen one, you've seen 'em all :) People buy projectors and TVs over the net all the time now, its no big deal anymore.

I'm willing to let it go for $5500 - I just need to get rid of it. Right now, its a very expensive mount for my projector screen (which is draped over it). I'm selling all my A/V gear - my Sony G90s, My Vision 1 etc - simply because I've got no room. There's a piece of AV gear in every room in the house.

Cheers