Sony TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Thanks Omega, fair comments... especially about actually seeing a SXRD. I note that Sony are not showing the SXRD Bravia RearProj on their AU site ATM... I dont know how long that has been the case as its been about a week since I was there.... sounds like an extended delay may be coming.

I have been watching Distie stock levels and ETA on the 60" & 70" are still showing TBA although I note that one 60" is on order.... I was hoping to see that change from TBA in that indicating that stock was starting to flow.... No change now after 2+ weeks.

I will see if I can find a 3LCD Bravia model to have a look at... if I am happy with it I think I will go for it... I was really hoping we might see the UK 55" SXRD model here and I am probly not the only one

treb

Viewing distance is about just over 4meters.

So u saying the 60inch SXRD is better than the pana 50inch in PQ wise if view at those distance?.

Thanks for the infos so far cheers

Personally I would not even consider a 50” Plasma at 4 meters. It’s just way too small.

A 60” or 70” SXRD will blow the Plasma away, no contest.

At 4 meters, the 70” is the way to go IMHO, as even the 60” is small at that distance.

I sit only 2.8 meters from the screen, and will only be looking at the 70”. :blink:

They seem to the ramping up the brightness on the rear-pros lately, and i wonder whether thats another reason why the lamp life predictions seem to be falling by thousands of hours.

Lamp life on Sony RPTV’s has not been a problem to date.

The oldest SXRD RPTV’s are now 2 years old, and I am yet to hear about a lamp failure.

It seems a bit of a waste of time other than showroom 'pop' as i would think most people wouldnt need their set that bright.

I agree, the maximum brightness available from these TV’s is over the top for most applications, especially for me.

However brightness sells, and for people with sun lit viewing rooms it is important.

At least with the SXRD’s you can tone it down by using the low power mode for the lamp and adjusting the iris setting.

For me that will not be enough and I would fit a neutral density filter to the light engine to reduce light output by as much as 75%, which will have the added benefit of lowering black levels by 75% as well. This should result in much better blacks then any other digital display currently available.

I know when i first got my set, the brightness was way up at factory default, and whenever a white scene was shown, or a scene incorporating the sun or something, it would actually be so bright it hurt my eyes. Even know when turned down to abotu half, it still has that effect, and my current set wouldnt be nearly as bright as these ones.

Your old set probably did not have the advantage of an iris system.

My #1 post I think

I'm keen on an RearProj ever since I saw a huge zenith with pip a couple years ago in the states.

I am in a position to enter the market but my budget is going to be about 50".

I have been looking at the Sony and of course the Bravia range. I am wondering how acceptable the Bravia 3LCD units are when compared to the Bravia SXRD 60" & 70" units.

Now I know the main thing is resolution, 720 vs 1080. But in terms of performance, refresh rates etc is there going to be any real difference in what I see?

I can do a wholesale any of these but my budget is too tight to get into the SXRD units... though at 60" I dont think I will have room to put it in that I would want to sit in and watch TV....

I think I am just dissapointed the SXRD won't be in the smaller models is what it boils down too....

finally my last question... is this version of 3LCD old hat --last years model or is it new and improved? Anyone know or offer any opinions I would appreciate it... I been waiting so long for a real tv... I can't believe it is nearly here...

then I can finally chuck out my don't work from brand new out of the box, just turn it off for a few minutes and she'll be right 68cm philips...been sitting there pissing me off for the last 3 years... while I watch my old 51cm 20 yr old NEC... hmmm justice will soon be mine

thank guys

Gav

The 50” WEGA LCD RPTV (A10) is a damn fine unit.

It does not have the blacks or shadow detail of the SXRD’s, but when compared side by side with the best 50” Plasmas at around 2.5 meters, I found it offered an outstandingly good picture in a moderately well lit environment.

Blacks are not as good as the Panasonic Plasmas, but are competitive with other models.

If you don’t watch TV in a dim or dark environment, the Sony LCD provides and cleaner sharper image then the 50” Plasmas. Video processing is exceptionally good, and even made the channel 7 “HD” loop look acceptable.

The Sony LCD RPTV’s are a huge successes in the US, and rightfully so.

The SXRD is obviously higher resolution, but if you are not going to sit less then 2.5 meters from a 50” screen, you will never notice it.

Black level and shadow detail are where the SXRD has it over the competion.

Given the xb2 is out in the US any news on how it stacks up to their other model?

For a 60" 1080P display this seems the only real choice for people without lots of money to spend on a plasma.

The only competition to the SXRD’s is the yet to be released Panasonic 65” 1080 Plasma.

It will cost double the price of a 70” SXRD, and will offer similar picture quality.

It will come down to personal preference as to which is the better.

Lamp life on Sony RPTV’s has not been a problem to date.

The oldest SXRD RPTV’s are now 2 years old, and I am yet to hear about a lamp failure.

Yeah, im basically just talking superficially about the estimates, not about lamp failure per se (which seems to be Toshiba's forte).

Back when i bought my current set (and yep, definitely no iris system) the advertised lamp lifes were "over 10,000hrs" thats verbatim from the manual, whereas now they are talking about 6,000hrs.

Seems to be either higher brightness settings, or simply more conservative estimates...or both.

Do we know if the lamps are user-replaceable yet?

6000 hours is probably a more realistic number.

Personally, I would not care if it was 2000 hours, as long as the picture is first rate,

The lamps are user replaceable on the US models.

Don’t know about ours.

Hey Owen [don't bite my head off] I noticed the Sony site in N.Z has added the 50" model it was not there a few days ago I know it may not have anything to do with us just general information :blink:

cheers laurie

Product Description

The all-new Sony KS50R200A SXRD BRAVIA is set to deliver a visual experience like no other. Featuring Sonys groundbreaking SXRD reflective LCD technology, the R50 BRAVIA has over 6.2 million total active pixels for mesmerizing picture detail as well as the industrys fastest 2.5 millisecond response time for precise motion. Brighter, more power-efficient than plasma and completely immune to screen burn, the R50 BRAVIA is also equipped with twin HDMI, PC inputs and a user replaceable UHP lamp.

Interesting Laurie.

If the Kiwis have a 50”, it’s likely we will get it to.

Looks like what Peter2000 saw may have been a 50” SXRD.

If he was right about the price, it is a dead set bargain. :blink:

Cant see how there would be room in the market for the 50” WEGA LCD if the SXRD is so cheap.

It doesnt have a proper spec sheet on the Sony AUS website

I need to know if it will support 1920x1080P via VGA for the xbox 360

Sorry for slightly offtopic, but if anyone has any experience in selling second hand displays, wouldnt mind a PM on selling my KVHR36M31. I'll keep it if it's not worth much.

It's been good but the absence of VGA input for the 360 is a nuisance, the lack of HDMI / DVI connections and no 1080P support means it's time to go.

Seems that in terms of image quality the LCos isnt too far off the good CRT's like my Sony.

Just a Noob question, do the SXRD suffer from burn in?

no

It doesnt have a proper spec sheet on the Sony AUS website

I need to know if it will support 1920x1080P via VGA for the xbox 360

Sorry for slightly offtopic, but if anyone has any experience in selling second hand displays, wouldnt mind a PM on selling my KVHR36M31. I'll keep it if it's not worth much.

It's been good but the absence of VGA input for the 360 is a nuisance, the lack of HDMI / DVI connections and no 1080P support means it's time to go.

Seems that in terms of image quality the LCos isnt too far off the good CRT's like my Sony.

According to the info, it will not do full resolution via VGA but will via a DVI => HDMI adapter

Anyone know what stock levels will be like?

That is, if I don't buy one within a week or two of release, will they all be sold out for months? Or will it be regular, constant supply?

(was going to get the 60" but now I'm building a new room for the 70", wont be ready for a couple more months).

Thats great to hear but, what make these diff from the other RPTV which suffer from burn in?

The only RPTV’s that could suffer burn in where the old CRT models, and then only if you where silly.

LCD, DLP, LCoS (SXRD) RPTV’s cannot burn in.

Thats great to hear but, what make these diff from the other RPTV which suffer from burn in?

Most were crt's and their biggerst problem was not burn in but bloody poor convergence which is also another advantage of LCD lanels :D

Just rang Sony Aust they told me we are NOT getting the 50" but then again the dickhead I was speaking to seemed to be on drugs gee these people are bloody hopeless how do they keep their jobs :blink:

cheers laurie

The only RPTV’s that could suffer burn in where the old CRT models, and then only if you where silly.

LCD, DLP, LCoS (SXRD) RPTV’s cannot burn in.

My rearpro LCD Samsung has suffered from Burn In. i have two destinct 4:3 edges on my screen at the moment. Fortunately the LCD engine is about to be replaced.